Expedition: Fingers/The Ghostly Trial - 16 July 2021

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Fingers/The Ghostly Trial - 16 July 2021

#281 Post by Zhym »

"Can I keep the sword if I name it 'Penderyn?'" asks Fingers. "That's a better tribute than leaving it in a tomb no one visits, right?"

He wipes his nose on his sleeve and looks toward the entrance to the tomb, then off toward town. "I guess the question is whether everyone will come back if we haul all this stuff to town," says Fingers, looking at Allmond. "The stuff that's in that tomb still needs to be set right and all, right?"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#282 Post by Alethan »

Bandy pipes up, "After getting this armour adjusted for my size, I'll return to help set it straight."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

DavetheLost
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#283 Post by DavetheLost »

We can honour Baudh and the former owners of these relics by using them to assist in cleansing this place. We should also give a tithe to the temple upon our return.
Playing: At the Forest's Edge: Desmond Halfling Vagabond
The Northern Marches: Hengist Cleric of Baudh

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#284 Post by Marullus »

That sounds like everyone is okay going back to town, cashing out, sizing Bandy's armor, and returning?

How much do you take, and how are you transporting?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#285 Post by Zhym »

Do we need to re-recruit Allmond if we do?

500 lbs of gold is 100 lbs each. We won't be able to carry all that back unless someone has a bag of holding or something. Is there any landmark where we could cache or bury the remaining loot?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#286 Post by Marullus »

viewtopic.php?f=353&t=5467&start=20#p245719
You can carry 160lbs each if you have sacks/packs to do it. You can carry up to 320 each if you drag sledges.

I won't make you re-recruit Allmond. :)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#287 Post by Zhym »

I don't suppose there's anything around to make sledges with, is there?

Fingers has a backpack and one small sack. Is anyone else set up better for lugging coins back to town?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#288 Post by Marullus »

There are no forests in sight. Allmond points out that he and Heingist currently have a pair of extra staves between them. That can make at least one sledge or stretcher. If they use their new magic staves as well, it could be two... But they're then unarmed.

You could use a coffin... We will say that adds 100lbs.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#289 Post by Zhym »

Okay. So let's say 320 lbs of gold on a sledge, 100 in a coffin, and the other 80 split among PCs. The silver and copper we could either leave out or try to stash somewhere. I don't suppose we have a way to dig a hole?

I don't like moving at 1/4 speed; we seem to run into so many random encounters that way. But I guess it's better than leaving all the gold sitting out. Maybe.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#290 Post by Marullus »

320lbs of gold on a sledge.
A 100lb coffin, then holding 220lbs of material.
That's two of you occupied with dragging.
There are more coffins - the other three of you could each drag 220lbs as well.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#291 Post by Zhym »

Are you saying that the 100 lb coffin full of 220 lbs of gold would ride on the sledge? Or that we could pull the coffin and be able to carry 540 lbs of stuff with the sledge and the coffin?

I don't like having everyone loaded down with loot. It may not make a difference in game mechanics, but it seems unwise to have everyone slow and laden in case of random encounters—which happened a lot on Olaf's trip back from the Morlock caves, mostly because the group was crawling back to town for carrying all that loot back.

I'm tempted to say we carry what we can at no slower than half speed, stash what we can't, and get back to town as quickly as possible. What does everyone else think?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#292 Post by Marullus »

Zhym wrote:Are you saying that the 100 lb coffin full of 220 lbs of gold would ride on the sledge? Or that we could pull the coffin and be able to carry 540 lbs of stuff with the sledge and the coffin?
A coffin with 220lbs in it IS a sledge.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#293 Post by Zhym »

So that would be two sledges: one made with spare staffs, the other by dumping some poor corpse out of its coffin. Right?

DavetheLost
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#294 Post by DavetheLost »

A coffin sledge should be pretty quick to drop if we get jumped. Hengist at least has a mundane mace as a backup weapon. We would be traveling very slowly though.
Playing: At the Forest's Edge: Desmond Halfling Vagabond
The Northern Marches: Hengist Cleric of Baudh

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#295 Post by Marullus »

2mph in the plains X .25 speed (instead of .75 speed). About 8 miles to the Ford. So it was about 6 hours here and is 16 hours home. That's four encounter rolls (every four hours outdoors).

I need confirmation of what you take and what you leave.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#296 Post by Zhym »

And we can't move any faster by half-loading the sledges, I assume?

If that's correct, I think we should bring one spare-staff sledge and two coffins, for a total carrying capacity of 940 lbs. That gets us 5000 gp, 4400 sp, and however many SP we can stuff into our pockets. Call it 5000 sp total for a nice even number, which assumes we can find room in our pocketses for 60 lbs of silver. We leave the other silver in the tombs. Markd, Hengist, and Allmond would drag sledges. Fingers would scout about 180' ahead, hoping that his cloak lets him see any potential encounters before they see him. Bandy stays back and acts as guard for the sledge-haulers.

Unless...

Would Bandy the halfling be any harder to spot than Fingers in the elven cloak? Or does the halfling skill at blending in not stack with the cloak? If it does, Fingers might loan the cloak to Bandy to act as scout. Then Fingers would hang back as sledge guard.
Last edited by Zhym on Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#297 Post by Marullus »

You can move at half-speed (8 hour trip) if you each are at a max load of 79lbs. I ask you count what's in sacks, backpack, and worn gear appropriately.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#298 Post by Zhym »

Sorry—I ninja-edited my post. Also, that didn't quite answer my question, which is whether we can carry things on a sledge any faster if the sledge isn't at full load. I assume by the response that the answer is no? Whether you're carrying an empty sledge or one loaded with 380 lbs of stuff, the movement rate is at 1/4?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#299 Post by Marullus »

Yes, I want you to have proper containers if you're moving faster. Sledges are awkward and slow (full or not) but evade the container rule. I will allow the staves and blanket to be used for a stretcher that can carry the 158lbs for the two guys holding it, as a container.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#300 Post by Zhym »

Marullus wrote:320lbs of gold on a sledge.
A 100lb coffin, then holding 220lbs of material.
That's two of you occupied with dragging.
There are more coffins - the other three of you could each drag 220lbs as well.
I'm really having trouble understanding what the rules are here. I thought the above meant that we could have one person dragging the staves-and-blanket sledge and one person dragging a coffin. But now that would take three people? And the staves-and-blankets sledge would only carry 158 lbs?

This is getting to be way more of a pain in the ass than it's worth.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”