Expedition: Fingers/The Ghostly Trial - 16 July 2021

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Expedition: Fingers/The Ghostly Trial - 16 July 2021

#321 Post by Alethan »

Zhym wrote:This seems to be a side effect of imbued heroic weapons: we find powerful stuff and think, "Nah, I'm good," because we already imbued our items with the properties we want them to have.
Actually, I'd be fine with a magical weapon that hits all things magically. Especially if we're going to keep fighting gargoyles. But... he would certainly have a really nice AC with magic banded mail and a magic shield.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

DavetheLost
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#322 Post by DavetheLost »

Hengist will happily take the kite shield that matches the banded mail. Be a shame to break up the set. I expected to return the staff to Markd when the expedition was over. The relequary I am willing to give to whomever. Having just joined I don't feel too strongly about any division.
Playing: At the Forest's Edge: Desmond Halfling Vagabond
The Northern Marches: Hengist Cleric of Baudh

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#323 Post by Zhym »

I don't think it's likely that anyone gets both the Penderyn banded mail and Penderyn shield. I was wondering whether Hengist would accept the shield instead of the banded mail, which would let Markd have the banded mail instead of a weapon he doesn't need or a shield he apparently can't use.

But I'm just making assumptions about what Markd wants. Onlyme, what does Markd want? And why can't he use a shield? I can't think of a human class that can use banded mail but can't use a shield.

Marullus, do we know the bonuses of the banded mail suits and the swords?

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#324 Post by onlyme »

Zhym wrote:I don't think it's likely that anyone gets both the Penderyn banded mail and Penderyn shield. I was wondering whether Hengist would accept the shield instead of the banded mail, which would let Markd have the banded mail instead of a weapon he doesn't need or a shield he apparently can't use.

But I'm just making assumptions about what Markd wants. Onlyme, what does Markd want? And why can't he use a shield? I can't think of a human class that can use banded mail but can't use a shield.

Marullus, do we know the bonuses of the banded mail suits and the swords?

Its gameplay reasons... he is rather "attached" to his knife, which means he almost always has it in his hand, preventing the practical use of a shield. It acts almost like a +1 shield on top of its healing power, which he has to hold to use. Do we know the magical strength of the swords and armor?

This is more for the true ooc thread, but I guess we need to set up a magical weaponry shop in town to offload the "not quite as good as" magical stuff we own. If we offload them to NPC areas, I believe they are effectively retired from the game.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#325 Post by Zhym »

So it's more accurate to say that Markd doesn't want the shield. And he probably doesn't want either of the swords for similar reasons. Does he want one of the suits of banded mail? Assuming so, here's a revised first split of magic items:

Allmond: Walking stick
Bandy: Lamond Bandy Banded Mail
Fingers: Penderyn Sword (unless the Lamond sword is better?)
Hengist: Penderyn Shield
Markd: Penderyn Banded Mail

That leaves the orb, reliquary box, Lamond shield, and the Lamond sword to be distributed. Bandy is the only one other than Fingers who can use the sword and wants it, and Fingers is already getting a sword, so it makes sense to give Bandy the Lamond sword. The Lamond shield could go to Allmond (or maybe Bandy could take that too and complete the Lamond set in exchange for most of his gold share, but if I understand correctly, Bandy can't use both a shield and a normal longsword). Hengist could take the reliquary box, and Fingers would like the orb.

I think that split puts most of the magic items with people who can use them and want them, with a minimum of items left sitting around.

What does everyone think?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#326 Post by Alethan »

Bandy is currently holding the Bowman longsword. It is +1, with +1 to all ally morale checks. The banded mail he currently has is +1 banded mail, no additional features that he can tell.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#327 Post by Zhym »

Oh, right. Bowman, not Lamond.

The Penderyn sword is +1 with a +2 save vs. poison. The Bowman sword might be a bit more useful to Fingers, assuming that's a +1 bonus to morale checks, not a +1 penalty. It would help keep Sprinkles from running off when he gets hit. Of course, who knows when someone who sometimes tries to disarm traps could use a saving throw bonus vs. poison?

Does Bandy have a preference between the two swords?

DavetheLost
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#328 Post by DavetheLost »

I am happy to give Markd the Penderyn banded mail. It is Banded mail +2 (AC 2, 10lbs) [8,001xp]
Playing: At the Forest's Edge: Desmond Halfling Vagabond
The Northern Marches: Hengist Cleric of Baudh

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#329 Post by Alethan »

Zhym wrote:Oh, right. Bowman, not Lamond.

The Penderyn sword is +1 with a +2 save vs. poison. The Bowman sword might be a bit more useful to Fingers, assuming that's a +1 bonus to morale checks, not a +1 penalty. It would help keep Sprinkles from running off when he gets hit. Of course, who knows when someone who sometimes tries to disarm traps could use a saving throw bonus vs. poison?

Does Bandy have a preference between the two swords?
Nope, no preference. He's good with whichever. The morale bonus would also be good for anyone with hirelings. I wish, with race-as-class of LL, that halflings were given some innate thief abilities, like picking pockets and locks and finding traps. It would make them so much more useful and make them more the combined fighter/thief I've always thought they should be built as.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#330 Post by Zhym »

Okay. Then let's try this as a split:

Allmond: Walking stick; Lamond Sheild (+1, 4001 XP)
Bandy: Lamond Bandy Mail (Banded Mail +1, 4001 XP?); Penderyn Sword (longsword +1, +2 save v. poison, 4001 XP?)
Fingers: Bowman Sword (longsword +1, +1 to ally morale, 4001 XP?); Clear Glass Orb
Hengist: Penderyn Shield (tower shield +2, +3 vs. missiles, 8001 XP); Reliquary Box
Markd: Penderyn Banded Mail (banded mail +2, 8001 XP); large cloudy light green jade (50 gp)

If Allmond doesn't actually want the shield, we can use it as a tribute for XP and hang it in the chapel of Baudh, which is sort of like letting Allmond have it.

Is everyone reasonably happy with that?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#331 Post by Alethan »

Bandy is good with this.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#332 Post by onlyme »

DavetheLost wrote:I am happy to give Markd the Penderyn banded mail. It is Banded mail +2 (AC 2, 10lbs) [8,001xp]

Does this mean it weighs 10 lbs for encumbrance? Assuming so, Markd is fine with that banded mail.

I would say that Bandy and Markd are equal without the gem. Allmond's stick sounds more like an 8k or higher item, so he probably doesnt need the shield in addition.
I am not sure how to value the orb or box. Are they worth significantly more than 50gp, or are they evil/worthless?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#333 Post by Zhym »

Fingers will take the gem if it makes you feel better. :)

As for the other stuff, it's hard to know how valuable the orb is until we know what it does, which isn't possible until someone tries it out or pays to have it researched. It's a gamble by Fingers that it's worth having. What does the stick do?

Anyway, even with unknown values, I think the split I laid out is about as close to fair as we'll get.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#334 Post by Alethan »

Zhym wrote: What does the stick do?
I believe in the hands of a Cleric it can be used to cast CLW multiple times per day. I agree with onlyme that it is likely an 8k item or higher.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#335 Post by onlyme »

I dont think Allmond needs the shield.
How about Bandy sells the shield and gives half to Markd and keeps half. That at least gives us something of value to offset the 2nd magical items. That is also making the gamble that the orb is worth more than the box and at least 4k more than the rest.

For the gem, I'd suggest this:
Instead of the 4 of us getting 112,
3 get 113, and one gets 109 plus the gem. That values it at 40, since we cannot sell it for 50.
We can draw straws for who gets the gem and lower pp...

But, I still need/want the weight assumption confirmation

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#336 Post by Zhym »

I think we're getting too into the weeds when we start talking about subdividing a 50 gp gem. If the staff is worth 8001 XP, then everyone except Fingers is getting 8001 XP in magic items except for Fingers, who is taking a gamble on the value of the orb. FYI, his first action is going to be to take the orb to see if it's tainted by the infernal. If it is, the orb will be destroyed and it'll be worth nothing to Fingers.

If we don't want Allmond to sell the shield, let's donate it for XP.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#337 Post by Alethan »

Bandy would much rather have better armour and a sword that hits gargoyles...

That said, if Bandy is to get a shield, if we can make it the horseman's shield I would assume he can use it (Marullus? Input?). In which case, he'd want the shield and the banded mail. Then he can use his own longsword one-handed and I'll just work on investing XP into it to make it fully magical all the time.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#338 Post by onlyme »

Id say Bandy chooses 2 of the 3 between his armor, sword and shield. Then sell the 2nd for him and Markd.
That leaves
Bandy and Markd with 8k in items and 1/2 value of magical item.
Heigst 8k plus magical box, worth ?
Fingers 4k plus magical orb, which is assumed to be worth at least 4+k for convenience sake..
Allmond, magical staff, assumed to be worth at least 8k, maybe way more.

The only other option would be for Fingers to take the other 4k item (assuming shield), and we all combine the orb and box and sell/donate them.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#339 Post by Marullus »

Yes, the weight listed with armor/shields is it's encumbrance when worn. Imbued armor is often "more comfortable to wear" after being broken in by it's previous owner. (It still packs on a sledge or mount at it's normal weight.)

There isn't a restriction on Bandy using the shield(s) mechanically. Narratively, the horseman's shield is better for him.

You know the box is clerical, so it is natural to give to Hengeist.

The orb is the only true unknown, and it takes 50gp to investigate, so I would suggest giving him the gem to cover that risk.

Allmond is happy with just the staff (which does CLW once per day per subject, each day.)

If you want to donate a shield, I will split the XP as group tribute, if you like.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#340 Post by Alethan »

If Bandy were to take the Lammond banded mail and the Lammond shield, how much would the sword sell for (going with the plan of selling the sword and splitting 50/50 with Markd)?

Follow Up Question: Would Markd take half the sword value in coin and art items of high value and allow Bandy to keep the sword?

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”