Action Thread #2 - The Icy Valley

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Action Thread #2 - The Icy Valley

#21 Post by zebediah »

"Our story is not much different for all practical effects. We have been spirited to this place via a half dreamed channels and have no idea where this place might be." he sips some water and savours it for a moment "For all we know this might well be an afterlife. If it is not I think it is clear that we have all been through circumstances that could have just as easily killed us, disturbing thought but as it turns out rather positive. I think we could now be in a much worse position, don't you fellas agree?"

Ra the monk
Scout
Scout

#22 Post by Ra the monk »

Oz snorts "If this is the afterlife it ain't so bad. I expected more wine and women though. Plus old Beccob's boy here wouldn't be here, or I wouldn't. mmmmm good fish" Soon Oz loses interest in the conversation and digs into his meal.

Buzz
Scout
Scout

#23 Post by Buzz »

Malone laughs. "Yes indeed, we could be so much worse off than we are now. I was expecting us to be attacked by some giant birds, but we haven't seen one since we set out."

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#24 Post by Stonjuz »

Stonjuz takes the opportune moment, during the meal, to silently survey each of the four present.
The two human teenagers appear similar in stature to Irongate's top graduates of the Guard. The dwarf has learned over the years not to underestimate, nor overestimate, humans of this age. More time will have to be invested in trying to read into their auras.
The adult Suel male causes Stonjuz a bit of uneasiness. The tales of the Suloise battles in the Ironhills with the Great Kingdom have been taught in every school in Irongate for centuries. If this warrior priest has any anomosity for Irongate's very existence, trouble could brew. Even though Irongate is no longer controlled by the Great Kingdom. And what if a different history was taught in his Suel homeland altogether? Perhaps reliance will breed trust.
And the half-elf, his smile opens a window to his aura. Stonjuz can sense the balance in this one. His youthfullness still lets loose just enough to show the world that he has good tendencies, much like Stonjuz himself. In the Dwarf's case, it isn't from youth, but merely realization that zealotry is what must be avoided.
When he eases back into normal conversation, Stonjuz takes the last fish, since it appears the four were not as hungry as he was. Standing, he begins to gather up and clean the site.

"Yuuuuuuup, we aint dead yet. Giant birds you say?"
Glancing up and around, then spinning to find the turtle, the dwarf takes his pet closer and then returns to the scraps and the other tasks at hand.

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#25 Post by Sir Clarence »

"Pray tell, Stonjuz, is it usual for clerics of Boccob to keep animal companions?" The druid is of course quite fascinated by the fact that someone takes a turtle for a companion. Not that he doesn't like turtles, but the usefulness of having one as a companion escapes him for the moment. "Or is it some sort of familar for you, like the magicians who worship Boccob often have? What's his name, by the way?"

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#26 Post by Stonjuz »

"His name? Aye, I suppose I should give him a name. Let's see. A nice home town flavor, mmm, yes, how about Stoneshell the Ironnose? ... Nay, the other turtles will just make fun of him." Stonjuz lets out a fart, and adds "Very observant, at first I just wanted to study the bond between mage and familiar after I found this big guy tearing up my garden. Now I've just grown rather fond of him, but I dont care, why dont one of YOUZ name him, and dont come up with any ideas like 'Soupy'..., or 'Stu'."
Stonjuz takes the extra time to clean up the spot on his helm that is spatted with turtlepoo.
"That's it. Turtlepoo. Turtle, for short. Come on Turtle...poo, time to take your position."

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#27 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 2 - Morning - The Icy Valley/Lake Shore

Some great role-playing happening here! :) When the group is ready to depart the shore and choose the next destination, make your intention manifest and we shall proceed.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#28 Post by zebediah »

"If we are all ready to move I suggest we do so. Given our current position going west and south appears to be the quickest way to circumvent the lake. Of course that will depend on what we find on our way." Ogirdor rises and checks on his equipment "So I propose we head southwest. I will move ahead to check if the path is safe and if there is any sign of animals... or people."

If there is no objection the ranger will do as described above. Weapon of choice at the moment is again the bow.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#29 Post by Stonjuz »

Without hesitation, Stonjuz will position himself to facilitate Ogridor's suggestion, but will give an eye to the others .... "Agreed?" ... to see if they also recognize leadership in the oldest of the humans.

Buzz
Scout
Scout

#30 Post by Buzz »

"Let's get going." Malone repacks his pan and pulls on his pack. "Stonjuz, that;'s your name right? We have this spare shield we found. Want to carry in case?"

Ra the monk
Scout
Scout

#31 Post by Ra the monk »

Oz absentmindly chews on a fish bone, having picked the rest of his fish clean eyes and all. "Whatever you say, as long as you keep taking point I am happy to follow." With that he rises reloops his rope, now mostly dry, and collects his things. Before they leave he gets another drink from the lake while refilling his waterskin "Fish was good but damn salty. Still best meal I've had in a while."

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#32 Post by Sir Clarence »

Andrin follows the others, taking the rear and musing about the unusual dwarf that so unexpectedly joined the group, and about the other things that happened since he arrived at this strange place. For him, it's actually the first time to be a member of an adventuring band, and so far he seems to have been lucky with his companions.

Gripping his staff tighter he draws in a deep breath of the cold and fresh mountain air. Sated, with the fish swimming happily in his stomach, he's ready to take on the new day and all that it might bring for him.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#33 Post by Stonjuz »

"Shields? Not I. Dont use 'em. I was thinkin' YOU were my shield, ha." After a second or two the priest adds... "Did you say FOUND? Has it been checked for magical aura,curses and such?, I can do THAT. But afraid I can't carry anymore. I'm loaded to the point of comfort. And as for the salt, young master Oz, you'll be missing it soon enough, because we haven't got any DAMN more, told ya it was gonna bunch up, it got damp and to be careful with it."

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#34 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 2 - Morning - The Icy Valley/The Frozen Lake

I will move the narrative forward. If the party agrees with Stonjuz's offer to check the shield they found we shall retcon it in.

The party, now a quintet instead of a quartet proceeds in their travel hoping to discover an exit of this unfamiliar mountain range. As agreed among the group the direction chosen takes them Southwest, along the margins of the lake. Very soon the margin waters become ice, of the flimsy variety that cannot hold a man's weight so the journey must take a more westward course. The ice field begins extending to the west until it meets the base of the mountain side, being about a mile wide until the point were it meets the waters. It appears that, on this side of the valley at least, the lake laps at the bottom of the western mountain cliffs, it is fortunate then that the full thaw has not arrived yet, otherwise the trek the companions and undergoing would have required some considerable swimming. Well before the ice field extends from mountain to lake its mid-region proves stout enough to support travelers and the companions begin sojourning on ice.

Random Wilderness Encounter Roll: [1d12] = 9

The external impediments occur to afflict the party's journey. Good thing too, the slippery surface of the ice field hinders progress because the adventurers do not have suitable equipment to move on frozen water. At times walking becomes an exasperating exercise of near-tiptoeing lest a slippery tumble victimize the walker, and his pride. All feel the end to the ice field cannot come too soon. The frozen portion of the lake on this side of the valley goes south for about a mile and a half before the adventurers have solid (and snow-covered) ground again under their feet.

The party is now fully Southwest of the lake, on the upper-left portion of a wide U-shaped snow field than seems barred on all its southern portions by the mountain cliffs some 1,5-2 miles distant. If there is some passage in that direction the group is too far away to be able to discern it. To the East there is no mountainside blocking the way; it would seem after the southern apex of the snow field the mountain vanishes, and so does the ground some 3 miles away. There must be a cliff over yonder dropping down to lower reaches...but is there a passage to be found or just abrupt descent?

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#35 Post by Stonjuz »

"Of all the dang- blasted...can't get my bearings, no eyedear what me north is. But if exploring that apex is what youz are thinkin, its three mile there and maybe three back, or more..."
the dwarf lowers his head, shakes it in disgust and adds ... "Whatever you all think."

Ra the monk
Scout
Scout

#36 Post by Ra the monk »

Taking a quick scan of the area in front of them Oz peers out to the east "Well I don't know about the rest of you but I have always found that I can fall easier than I can climb. Whats say we go look over to the east there and see if we can't keep moving on down this thing.

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#37 Post by Sir Clarence »

Andrin nods. "Let's do that. At least we should have a good look further down the mountain from there."

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#38 Post by Stonjuz »

Stonjuz nervously rubs the symbol of Boccob while staring distantly at the shield. As soon as the party seems bustling with chosen direction, his stare breaks and ,in caution, turns to the skies, still apprehensively stroking the silver token.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#39 Post by zebediah »

"Right, east it will be then." the ranger goes scouting ahead again

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#40 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 2 - Mid-morning - The Icy Valley/Southern Snow Fields

Having discussed among themselves which path to take the adventurer head Eastewards to where the mountain seem to give way to a cliff, hoping to find an egress further down and out of these unknown regions.

As before, the ranger Ogirdor scouts ahead of the group for dangers. The companions have not yet threaded half the distance to the cliffs when 5 large, dark, bird-like shapes are spotted by all in the sky above flying to the northeast in a roughly v-like formation. Ogirdor, whose eyes are accustomed at measuring things and beings in the wild from a distance, calculates the flyers must be 3 feet long, with a wingspan at least twice that size. It is well and good they seem not interested in the band of five walking in the snow fields, and continue flapping their way onward to some destination in front of the adventurers.

However, when the band is over a hundred feet beyond where Ogirdor walks, the lead flyer takes a rapid turn and swoops down rapidly towards something in the ground.

Meanwhile...

Thurinor Surprise Roll: [1d6] = 4

Thurinor Sael the Sylvan Elf has also seen the flyers, and they are travelling to where he is standing. As they fly high right above they shapes etched against the sky and clouds leaves no room for doubt; no birds are these but bats, and of extraordinary girt! Without warning, the leader of the formation, the largest bat of the oversized pack, makes an aerial turn and drops rapidly straight down to Thurinor's position.

Thurinor Initiative: [1d6] = 2, Monster Initiative: [1d6] = 4

Giant Bat Attack Roll: [1d20] = 19, Damage: [1d4] = 3

The elf attempts to dodge or weave away from this fluterring attack but, with grace and precision that seemingly defies its bulk, the giant chiropteran grasps Thurinor's body with its hind legs and sinks a fanged snout into the elf's shoulder, drawing blood and pain.

The remainder of the flock is keeping to the heights and circling over the fight below

Round 1...Fight!

As for the last entry made by Stonjuz. Am I right in assuming he is casting Detect Magic at the shield?

Return to “UK5 Eye of the Serpent”