Strategy

Nidhogg
Scout
Scout

Strategy

#1 Post by Nidhogg »

This thread is to discuss your strategy during the game, if you wish to have one... I won't look at this.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Strategy

#2 Post by onlyme »

Nidhogg wrote:This thread is to discuss your strategy during the game, if you wish to have one... I won't look at this.

Just testing... Did you look at this post? ;)
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by Alethan »

lol

If I were Nidhogg, and I'd looked at it, I wouldn't say anything, either. :)
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by onlyme »

So fellow players...
shall we begin shooting darts and arrows? Or do we need a more structured plan? I am afraid Clarissa's luck will run out. Never saw 4 straight 15+ rolls before like that.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by zebediah »

That's a nice plan, but I think we should wait to see Nidhogg's assessment of the questions raised by Vargr. That can pretty much decide the combat if he runs surprise as btb 1e.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Vargr1105 »

There's also the fact that our characters won't, realistically, have time to plan and chat over tactics to come up with a group tactic.

Plus, Ragnar is quite likely to charge headlong in a situation like this. :mrgreen:

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by onlyme »

Vargr1105 wrote:There's also the fact that our characters won't, realistically, have time to plan and chat over tactics to come up with a group tactic.
What is the protocol regarding strategy Timing?

Clarissa has no prloblem shhoting first then asking...

rfrahm87
Strider
Strider

#8 Post by rfrahm87 »

In my opinion, the fighters(Yoan, Ragnar, and Agrim) should rush in to help Belgos and Mist with the melee while the remaining members of the group concentrate missle fire on individual archers until they fall. The strategy redirects missle-fire and thins out the number of attackers in melee.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Everyone brings great points. I'd like an answer from Nidhogg about the general range from us to the hob bowmen before deciding anything. Our characters should be able to assess the starting tactical details before declaring actions, though I agree they don't have time to exactly make plans. I think surprise should be the character's impulsive reaction, and from there it is assumed that our characters can yell simple directives at each other and otherwise work as a team. :?: :D

If Agrim can throw an axe or two at the bow-hobs at close enough range before joining melee, he'll do so with his surprise actions, as his assessment of the situation is that those who have fallen have done so because of the missile fire. His next impulse is to rush in to protect Mist so she can pull Belgos out of there (his constant impulse is cut and rip and not think at all, heh heh).

Last thought: 8 hobs is not short order and could go very badly or not bad at all depending on rolls in surprise actions. Though it will grate against Agrim's desire to utterly defeat his enemies, retreat may end up the better part of valor, and saving the queen's son seems of the highest importance... (if only for Clarissa's sake...) ;)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by onlyme »

According to the map,

it looks like Risto and Yoan need to go after the archers based on location... Sergius could as well.

Clarissa should fire on the melee ones, just not sure which ones...? Since Evoric and Belgos are both on the ground, she would have no hesitation firing toward either group of combatants.

(Edit to add: I certainly do not mean to make decisions for anyone else. Just giving opinion regarding strategy. Feel free to offer suggestions regarding Clarissa whenever possible. )
Last edited by onlyme on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by zebediah »

Sergius will set his dog and hawk on the archers, so even if we don't take them out with ranged attacks that might still get them out of the action for a short while.

If some of us are going into melee I think it makes sense to try helping Mist and getting her brother back on action (if possible) as this would turn the numbers to our favour.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by zebediah »

Btw, as it seems that we all agree that the archers should be prioritized I will post Sergius' attacks on them.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by onlyme »

zebediah wrote:Sergius will set his dog and hawk on the archers, so even if we don't take them out with ranged attacks that might still get them out of the action for a short while.

If some of us are going into melee I think it makes sense to try helping Mist and getting her brother back on action (if possible) as this would turn the numbers to our favour.
Good idea regarding the animals, though they are very likely not to make it. I guess better them than us. Though any risk of friendly fire, especially the hawk?
Evoric is down and probably out, the way I read the description. Mist is hurt. It seems Aeglar is the only intact one left. That said, I agree to go after Mist's two fighters via melee'ers, unless everyone does missile attack first. That way, the 3rd one fighting Aeglar would probably break off to help.

I think Clarissa should fire toward the 3 fighting Aeglar, then, to be safe, and to make them all distracted.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by zebediah »

onlyme wrote:Good idea regarding the animals, though they are very likely not to make it. I guess better them than us. Though any risk of friendly fire, especially the hawk?
I wouldn't expect it, both animals are trained to hunt and thus used to stressful situations but of course that's Nidhogg's call.
onlyme wrote:I think Clarissa should fire toward the 3 fighting Aeglar, then, to be safe, and to make them all distracted.
Sounds like a plan, they have their backs turned to us and unaware of your incoming arrows so that should have a nice effect.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by onlyme »

zebediah wrote:
onlyme wrote:Good idea regarding the animals, though they are very likely not to make it. I guess better them than us. Though any risk of friendly fire, especially the hawk?
I wouldn't expect it, both animals are trained to hunt and thus used to stressful situations but of course that's Nidhogg's call.
onlyme wrote:I think Clarissa should fire toward the 3 fighting Aeglar, then, to be safe, and to make them all distracted.
Sounds like a plan, they have their backs turned to us and unaware of your incoming arrows so that should have a nice effect.

She fired and hit. Hopefully with both arrows. Does anyone know the going rate for Hobgoblin's AC and hitpoints?

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Given this situation, Agrim will charge in to help Mist, hopefully dispatching the two quickly so that we can get to Aelgar.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by onlyme »

ragnboneshopper wrote:Given this situation, Agrim will charge in to help Mist, hopefully dispatching the two quickly so that we can get to Aelgar.

Good luck

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Keeping their archers in melee gives us a decent shot, no? Agrim'll keep hacking away for now next to Mist. With a lucky couple rolls, may be able to get to Belgos round after...
"I must lie down where all the ladders start / In the foul rag and bone shop of the heart." —W. B. Yeats, "The Circus Animals' Desertion"

Geert Harfoot, Level 1 Halfling, Spartakos's Borderlands of Lamora Game
Brother Constantine, Level 3 Half-Elf Cleric/Magic-User, Spartakos's Play by Board Game
Former Unseen Servant DM, UK5 Eye of the Serpent

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by zebediah »

Sergius will continue focusing on the archers so the dog & hawk have sufficient direction.

It might be interesting to shift some of our ranged fire to the hobs attacking Mist or Belgos, as the archers will probably be kept busy this round.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by onlyme »

zebediah wrote:Sergius will continue focusing on the archers so the dog & hawk have sufficient direction.
btw- What am I missing about your first dart throws? an 18 and 19 missed? is there a dart penalty not shown?
just asking, cause my 16 arrow hit...

hopefully, aeglar can finish off the one I started this round...

So, we have:
Clarissa, Aeglar, Risto fighting the warlord and one near him.
Mist, Agrim fighting the two closest to the trees
Sergius and animals, Yoan, Ragnar fighting the two archers

that seems pretty well distributed... Next round, one or two may want to help Agrim with those two...Not sure how beat up Mist is.

Return to “The Elf Campaign”