Out Of Character Friendly Banter And Casual Conversation

Nidhogg
Scout
Scout

Out Of Character Friendly Banter And Casual Conversation

#1 Post by Nidhogg »

Greetings, fellow adventurers! This thread is there to discuss... basically anything you like. At the moment of me posting this, it's very late in the evening. In the morning, after a good night of sleep, I'll create some more threads and add information on the setting and such, but I've created this thread already so you guys can start talking about your characters and start working on character generation already. :)

EDIT: Here is all the information about the adventure that was posted in the recruitment thread.

This is the basic premise of the adventure.

Springrite
It’s Springrite. Each year with the coming of the spring, the elves celebrate the festival of Springrite. A great feast, full of dancing, singing and drinking, all week long. From all over the world, people come to the elvish cities to witness and participate in the Springrite. So do you. You’ve come to the lands of Alfheim and the city of Eolo, home to the Sylvan Elves and their Queen Loreley. The game starts at the end of the festival, when, as it happens each year, the festival is concluded with a traditional great hunt. When morning breaks, all the elves and all the foreigners who’ve enjoyed the festivities, gather in front of the city gates and take their place in one of the many hunting parties, setting out into the woods searching for game. That’s when you guys meet for the first time, when you take part in the same hunting party. This year the elves will face much worse things than deer and boar during the hunt though… It's spring. The buds are sweet, the water sparkles, everyone is joyful... Many elves will die, when an ancient enemy returns.

On Character creation:
All standard races are allowed. All standard classes are allowed, but racial restrictions do apply (unless you can think of a very awesome reason why your character should be the exception) and to keep things simple I'd rather not use multiclassing (unless you guys, really want to). We'll use 4d6, dropping the lowest dice for ability score generation. You can decide which scores will go with which ability. No rerolling, unless you can't play the race or class you want with those abilities, then you get to roll again.

When creating a character, apart from a sheet, I’d also like short answers to the following questions. Don't worry, one or two sentences will be enough.

1. What does your character look like?
2. What does he or she do (for a living, with her life)?
3. What drives your character? What are his goals, his ambitions?
4. Why has your character come to the elvish festival of Springrite? To experience the elvish culture, to drink and party, or maybe to look at all the pretty elf ladies dance?
5. Give me a secret of the character, something she doesn't want others to know about her.
6. Give me some general information on what her perspective is on elves. Does she like them, does she hate them?
7. Tell me about 1 good experience from your characters past and 1 bad one.
8. What are your goals as a player for the character? What would you like to see done/happen to him in the game. It’s okay if you don’t know an answer. It’s okay for people to just enter and say “I’ll just enjoy the ride.” But if you have any wishes and tell me, I could adjust the story to it.
9. Tell me about 2 NPC that are in some way linked to your character, either as a friend or as an enemy.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Out Of Character Friendly Banter And Casual Conversation

#2 Post by Alethan »

Springrite
It’s Springrite. Each year with the coming of the spring, the elves celebrate the festival of Springrite. A great feast, full of dancing, singing and drinking, all week long. From all over the world, people come to the elvish cities to witness and participate in the Springrite. So do you. You’ve come to the lands of Alfheim and the city of Eolo, home to the Sylvan Elves and their Queen Loreley. The game starts at the end of the festival, when, as it happens each year, the festival is concluded with a traditional great hunt. When morning breaks, all the elves and all the foreigners who’ve enjoyed the festivities, gather in front of the city gates and take their place in one of the many hunting parties, setting out into the woods searching for game. That’s when you guys meet for the first time, when you take part in the same hunting party. This year the elves will face much worse things than deer and boar during the hunt though… It's spring. The buds are sweet, the water sparkles, everyone is joyful... Many elves will die, when an ancient enemy returns.
Creative way to get the party grouped up!

That initial part of figuring out how everyone gets together can be one of the most awkward moments of a game, especially if the DM makes everyone roll-play through the entire thing!

Personally, I don't mind; but I'm pretty much a social butterfly in RL, so that translates well in other forms of communication. Plus, it can provide lots of information about the people you're playing with, if you're good at reading into that sort of thing...
Nidhogg wrote:... so you guys can start discussing and creating your characters there. Just for a good overview, these are the players:
Alethan
Vargr1105
zebediah
rfrahm87
onlyme
Double-edged
Re: Character Generation, I tend to be more of a min/maxer when it comes down to it. I make my rolls, then figure out what class would benefit most from them and pick a race based on the best stat bonus. But I can just as easily adapt to a system of rolling stats in a fixed order and making what you can out of those rolls (e.g. the OD&D or B/E rule sets).

If we're following 1e rules, then I'll min/max it as best I can. But it doesn't matter to me what class I pick. So whoever has a desire to play a specific class (I think Onlyme has already laid claim to "Assassin"?) should speak up first. Then anyone who allows for more flexibility should fill in what gaps they can. And then anyone who doesn't have a problem playing whatever else the party needs can be the sweepers.

Happy to help out anyone who is new to PbP, new to any of the forum protocols, new to the dice roller, or... well, just new.

The first thing I would do for most of the "new"s above is direct you HERE.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by zebediah »

I will be playing a magic-user.

Double-edged
Squire
Squire

#4 Post by Double-edged »

I'll more than likely see what the scores look like and let that guide me. I AM a bit disappointed by the comment that you don't really want to do multiclassed characters. Is that a hard and fast thing or not? With elves all around, I would think that multiclassed characters might be rather common.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by onlyme »

I also like the festival start idea. Is the geography from a known setting? That way I can do a logical backstory for my Pc.

Also, what is campaign id for the roller?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Vargr1105 »

I have dibs on the party's Paladin as I have never played one before.

Double-edged
Squire
Squire

#7 Post by Double-edged »

Vargr1105 wrote:I have dibs on the party's Paladin as I have never played one before.
Ah! An assassin and a paladin already. This should be interesting.

Nidhogg
Scout
Scout

#8 Post by Nidhogg »

A lot of questions to answer! :) Let's see if I can manage to answer everything, without missing some of them!

One thing is important to stress right now, so please read this carefully: I'm always interested in hearing your opinions and my main concern is you guys having fun. Although I'm the "Dungeon Master", this doesn't mean I'm going to boss you around or get to tell you what to do. Yes, we have to make decisions concerning which version of the rules we'll use and I will likely have the final say in it, but never will we do something simply because "I say so". So, if you dislike anything I've written or decided or if you feel I'm treating you unfairly, say so! Most likely, it will be a fault on my part, not seeing the specific effects a certain ruling will have on one or more aspects of the game. So, please speak up! We're in this together. :)
Alethan wrote: Creative way to get the party grouped up!

That initial part of figuring out how everyone gets together can be one of the most awkward moments of a game, especially if the DM makes everyone roll-play through the entire thing!

Personally, I don't mind; but I'm pretty much a social butterfly in RL, so that translates well in other forms of communication. Plus, it can provide lots of information about the people you're playing with, if you're good at reading into that sort of thing...
Thanks! You are correct, that initial start of the game usually is the most awkward point, from a RP perspective. Hopefully, this will ease things up a bit, providing all the players with a clear motivation (the hunt) and a reason to be together. With such a clear goal, I hope people will be able to RP it as much or as little as they want to.
Alethan wrote: Re: Character Generation, I tend to be more of a min/maxer when it comes down to it. I make my rolls, then figure out what class would benefit most from them and pick a race based on the best stat bonus. But I can just as easily adapt to a system of rolling stats in a fixed order and making what you can out of those rolls (e.g. the OD&D or B/E rule sets).

If we're following 1e rules, then I'll min/max it as best I can. But it doesn't matter to me what class I pick. So whoever has a desire to play a specific class (I think Onlyme has already laid claim to "Assassin"?) should speak up first. Then anyone who allows for more flexibility should fill in what gaps they can. And then anyone who doesn't have a problem playing whatever else the party needs can be the sweepers.

Happy to help out anyone who is new to PbP, new to any of the forum protocols, new to the dice roller, or... well, just new.

The first thing I would do for most of the "new"s above is direct you HERE.
Thanks for offering help!

For rolling stats, we'll use 4d6, dropping the lowest one. You can decide which scores will go with which ability. No rerolling, unless you can't play the race or class you want with those abilities, then you get to roll again. Yes, this means you get to play a paladin, if you want to. I'm not leaving it up to chance, whether people get to play the characters they want to play.
Double-edged wrote:I'll more than likely see what the scores look like and let that guide me. I AM a bit disappointed by the comment that you don't really want to do multiclassed characters. Is that a hard and fast thing or not? With elves all around, I would think that multiclassed characters might be rather common.
It certainly isn't a hard and fast thing. Especially if you or any other players REALLY wants to make a multiclass character, I'll decide otherwise and you can (unless other players have any objections). It's just that I will, most likely, not make use of many multiclass NPCs. I prefer to keep things simple and use a minimum amount of rules, but if you guys prefer more complex things, it's not a problem for me. :)
onlyme wrote:I also like the festival start idea. Is the geography from a known setting? That way I can do a logical backstory for my Pc.

Also, what is campaign id for the roller?
Thanks! No, it's not. I played with the idea first of making the game take place in the Forgotten Realms (it's really the only setting I really know quite well), but decided not to. So, it's just a very open generic home-brew setting. I've added a thread with map and some setting information, more info will follow. Basically, since the game will take place in elvish lands, you are free to make up anything (within reason) that lies outside the borders of the map.

I just figured out how to use the Dice roller and made a campaign ID. It is 79.
Double-edged wrote:
Ah! An assassin and a paladin already. This should be interesting.
It certainly should. :lol:

I'll also edit the first post of this thread to include all the information I posted in the original recruitment thread.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by onlyme »

Other quick questions:

Starting Gold? max or roll per book?
Age/height/weight, etc Roll or assign as we want?

Any weapon proficiencies? or anything else you want us to either do or not do during creation?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Nidhogg
Scout
Scout

#10 Post by Nidhogg »

onlyme wrote:Other quick questions:

Starting Gold? max or roll per book?
Age/height/weight, etc Roll or assign as we want?

Any weapon proficiencies? or anything else you want us to either do or not do during creation?
Starting Gold: I'd say take the max.
Age/height and weight you van assign as you want, or you may roll, or even after you rolled decide you want to pick something else instead.

I'm currently away from my books and am not sure on weapon proficiencies. Just the normal amount, I suppose.

I also answered some questions of Zebediah through PM:

- How do you deal with spell components, specially those which cost is not listed (powdered iron, etc)?

- Is it possible to start out with one or two hirelings (charmed if needed )?

- What about pets? If hirelings/mooks are not an option I might go for a guard dog if it could be trained to obey a few simple commands.

- Starting spells - random under the DMG table, rolling chance to know per min/max spells per level or something completely different?

My answers:
Spell components- I'm tempted to say that for simplicity of play, we can just assume that most magic-users will carry a supply with them of the most common items (wax, feathers, clay, sand etc.). Most of the times, these would be the ones that wouldn't show a cost, am I right? For the more exotic things, that will likely cost money, you'll need to find them and try to buy them.

Hirelings: - Not from the start of the game. You can't have hirelings with you and bring them to the hunt, but real quickly after the game has started, you'll be able to hire hirelings.

Pets: - Sure, you're allowed to start with a trained pet, but you'll have to pay for it from your starting money.

Starting Spells: I'm okay with you guys using the rules from the PHB under intelligence.

I don't think I have anything else particular to add to the question of character generation. But if you stumble on any other questions or things that need to be decided, let me know.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by zebediah »

Nidhogg wrote: - How do you deal with spell components, specially those which cost is not listed (powdered iron, etc)?

- Starting spells - random under the DMG table, rolling chance to know per min/max spells per level or something completely different?

Spell components- I'm tempted to say that for simplicity of play, we can just assume that most magic-users will carry a supply with them of the most common items (wax, feathers, clay, sand etc.). Most of the times, these would be the ones that wouldn't show a cost, am I right? For the more exotic things, that will likely cost money, you'll need to find them and try to buy them.

Starting Spells: I'm okay with you guys using the rules from the PHB under intelligence.
Ok, I checked the DMG and it's clear that the provisions on spell acquisition are actually complementary to those in the PHB. So it's 4 starting spells, plus checking all the 1st lv spells to see which ones the character is able to learn.

Personally, I've never kept track of this but if you want I can roll for all the spells at lv 1 and keep a note in my character sheet for future reference.

As for the spell components there a few odd ones that have no cost listed (a bit of phosphorus, wytchwood or glowworm for dancing lights, for example) and I think it would be more practical to have a clear rule on this so we don't have to ask you all the time. Would you be fine with setting a standard cost per unit of oddball non-supernatural components that have no cost listed elsewhere?

Nidhogg
Scout
Scout

#12 Post by Nidhogg »

zebediah wrote:
Ok, I checked the DMG and it's clear that the provisions on spell acquisition are actually complementary to those in the PHB. So it's 4 starting spells, plus checking all the 1st lv spells to see which ones the character is able to learn.

Personally, I've never kept track of this but if you want I can roll for all the spells at lv 1 and keep a note in my character sheet for future reference.

As for the spell components there a few odd ones that have no cost listed (a bit of phosphorus, wytchwood or glowworm for dancing lights, for example) and I think it would be more practical to have a clear rule on this so we don't have to ask you all the time. Would you be fine with setting a standard cost per unit of oddball non-supernatural components that have no cost listed elsewhere?
Okay, in that case, just pick the 4 starting spells according to the rules and ignore rolling for chance to learn other spells. That just seems silly to me.

I'm fine with setting a standard cost per unit for the non-supernatural components. Would 1 sp sound good to you, considering the item would most likely be consumed when the spell is cast?

(EDIT: just made a change to the way I phrased it. To clarify what I meant.)

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by zebediah »

Nidhogg wrote: I'm fine with setting a standard cost per unit for the non-supernatural components. Would 1 sp sound good to you, considering the item would most likely be consumed when the spell is cast?
Given the diversity of different components any value would end up being arbitrary IMO, 1 sp seems fair to me.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by onlyme »

DM,
Do you want us to post characters here, or will you open a new thread? I think it best to have a new thread so searching for data is much easier.
Your call.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#15 Post by Alethan »

That is customary.

Nidhogg, if you want Thread ideas, most of the other games have a pretty standard layout of what threads you might want to make.

I have my stats rolled (just saved without adjusting the numbers to the particular stat); just waiting to see what everyone else comes up with so I can plug a hole as best I can.

They are: 15, 11, 16, 13, 9, 11

Mostly pretty mediocre, but two good ones in there, so I should be able to come up with something, regardless of what we need in the group.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by zebediah »

Sergius will be a human magic-user from a noble family, a fan of hunting he has brought to the festival one of his junting dogs and his pet falcon.

One paladin, one assassin and a magic-user so, to some extent, we have most bases covered (paladin's clerical & healing powers and eventually thieving skills of the assassin).

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by Vargr1105 »

Some questions:

- What are the divine pantheons of the setting like?

- Is weapon specialization available?

- Is equipment, weapons & armor from Unearthed Arcana available, or are we limited to the PHB lists?

Double-edged
Squire
Squire

#18 Post by Double-edged »

Made a 1E ranger.

Do we modify scores by age? By race (not that it applies with my human)?

Nidhogg
Scout
Scout

#19 Post by Nidhogg »

onlyme wrote:DM,
Do you want us to post characters here, or will you open a new thread? I think it best to have a new thread so searching for data is much easier.
Your call.
I agree and thanks for the suggestion. I've made a special thread for it.
Alethan wrote:That is customary.

Nidhogg, if you want Thread ideas, most of the other games have a pretty standard layout of what threads you might want to make.
I've looked at some of the other games and created a thread for the character sheets and one for strategy talk. Would you guys feel the need to add a special one for rules questions and interpretations? Or would that just go in this thread?
Vargr1105 wrote:Some questions:

- What are the divine pantheons of the setting like?

- Is weapon specialization available?

- Is equipment, weapons & armor from Unearthed Arcana available, or are we limited to the PHB lists?
- I was planning on using the "standard" D&D pantheon, so Corellon Larethian, Moradin etc. But I own the first edition Deities and Demigods book by TSR, so if you want, feel free to pick.

-Would you guys prefer playing with weapon specialization? If so, we'll use it.

- Limited to the PHB lists.
Double-edged wrote:Made a 1E ranger.

Do we modify scores by age? By race (not that it applies with my human)?
Yes and yes, I think.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by onlyme »

Hit Points? roll or take the max for first level?

Return to “The Elf Campaign”