Third Expedition

#1 Post by Raven Crowking »

Place Holder

caveman
Guide
Guide

Re: Third Expedition

#2 Post by caveman »

Milner stands in the town square as the brave and foolhardy gather around him. His shield is repainted to display a golden rooster and his chainmail is freshly oiled.
"Let us brave descensionists again dare to test the unholy harrows of the Barrowmaze!"
Knave: Cedric the Defrauded Outlaw
Level 1 HP 8 Armor Defense 12
Str 11 Dex 11 Con 13 Int 13 Wis 14 Cha 12
(sinewy broken-faced but rosy cheeked, oily pompador, frayed tunic, courteous manner, but irascible tendencies, and squeaky voiced)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/13hM ... sp=sharing

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by beermotor »

Two stout dwarves plod up, one wearing leather armor and holding firmly to a stout wooden shield and a hammer, the other standing slightly behind him in simple clothes holding a torch and shield. "I'm Grim Oddson," says the first, "and this is my cousin, Pikar Ottarson. We will accompany you into this Barrowmaze. Have the protocols for splitting treasure been discussed?" Pikar pipes up behind his cousin: "And what about burials?"

A lanky but well built human walks up, wearing the typical street clothes of a degenerate alcoholic, stained and scruffy, carrying only a stout looking bat. He just nods at the rest, then rattles some dice in his hand.

A thin elf also arrives, wearing padded armor and leaning on a walking stick. He coughs, then attempts to speak in common: "Shall wee gowe down to yon Barrowmaze, ya?" He looks a little sheepish after speaking.
Barrowmaze Map (by Grim Oddson and Gunnar Ottarson): Updated 03/14/13

Barrowmaze Characters (Active in Expedition 5):
Gunnar Ottarson (Dwarf 1): AC 16 HP 7/7
Daryll One-ear (Thief 1): AC 13 HP 4/4
Cisneros (Elf 1): AC 11 HP 6/6
Howard Phillipson (Wizard 1): AC 13 HP 5/9

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by Raven Crowking »

Three women clad in leather armor stride into the square, a man in dirty clothes and an apron following sheepishly behind. Each lady

"Our uncle desires to see the Barrowmaze for himself, and we, his loving nieces, will accompany him. I am Robin," straight-backed, with a tight golden braid. "My sisters," she says with a wave of her arm, "Kestra," heavily built with a short, golden bob haircut, "and Jayne," a younger girl with long yellow hair flowing down her back, and skirts beneath her armor. "We must buy torches, as we have only just come into town, but give us an hour or so to fir ourselves out with food and sundries, and we shall join you."

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by Raven Crowking »

As soon as our last party members introduce themselves, I will narrate your crossing the lonely moors to the Barrowmaze. Best of luck, all!

bitflipr
Strider
Strider

#6 Post by bitflipr »

Two dwarves step out of a nearby building, nearly identical in stature and features other than their color of their hair and beard - one auburn, the other straw yellow. The dwarf with auburn hair, carrying metal ingots in his hands, turns around to the other behind him and says "Turq, put down your chest so I may relieve my hands of this ware". The other dwarf complies, puts down the chest he was carrying, opens it up and says "Murq my brother, store your mithril in here. I will carry the burden for you".

Murq puts the ingots into the chest and turns around, addressing the crowd that has formed. "I hear there is treasure in these crypts. My brother and I wish to partake in this venture. The rewards will far outweigh the risks!". Turq picks up the chest, and holding it in both hands gives a nod.

On the other side of the town square a strong-looking man with golden locks of hair approaches, holding a finely crafted sword in one hand and a steel helm in the other. He raises the sword up into the air and speaks to man calling villagers forward, "I will join you. My master is sick and bed-ridden, and has instructed me to find fortune and glory. I have no other duties now that he has relieved me. This sword and helm is all I have. My name is Leo."

Another man (Morgan) with devilish features - a sly grin, short-cut black hair, and a goatee - walks out from behind a building nearby. "I would like to join, as long as no other questions of me are asked". He wears a black tunic and pants, holding a book in one hand and an unlit torch in the other.
Last edited by bitflipr on Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Raven Crowking »

I believe that we are just waiting for Hoggarth now.

Hoggarth
Squire
Squire

#8 Post by Hoggarth »

A fairly stout, middle aged man approaches the gathering throng of adventurers. He is dressed a bit better than the commoners and is obviously a member of the church as can be seen by the holy symbol around his neck, although a minor member to be sure. He walks with a nicely carved staff and has an air of smugness about him. "I shall accompany this en devour on behalf of the church. My name is Eryl Smythe."

About the same time three other would be adventurers approach. One is a rather lovely young woman dressed in fine wraps adorned with sequins, golden beads, and fine golden thread woven into the material. She has the look of a gypsy. "Madame Marishka at your service."

The short man in the leather apron simply grunts "Burgle" as he approaches. He carries a hammer on his belt and a metal pot of some sort on his head. Atop the helmet a candle has been attached, melted at the base to secure it.

Lastly, a tall, skinny man approaches. He carries a long thin staff made from some exotic dark wood. He wears a black hooded cloak and appears rather mysterious. His stark white hair stands straight up and seems to go in all directions at once. "Leman Dross if you please." He bows and waives his arm with a flourish.

Dumnbunny
Tracker
Tracker

#9 Post by Dumnbunny »

Four more men drift in to join the gathering.

Two of the men, barely old enough to qualify as such, have cleaned themselves up as best they can, but they still bear the dirt of their recently former lives on their hands, their faces, and their plain homespun wool clothes. The blond one carries a pitchfork and introduces himself as Jeddak. The dark-haired one carries a shovel, clutching it self-consciously as though it were a battle-axe, introduces himself as Loden.

The third man is dressed in modest but clean and well-maintained clothes with a nice cloak of high quality wrapped around his shoulders, a dagger at his side. He's clean-cut, well groomed with an easy smile, and introduces himself as Sigur.

The last man is rough, with long brown hair tied loosely back with a leather thong and a rough beard. He's carrying a short-bow, and bearing a quiver with 5 arrows over his shoulder, and he introduces himself as Dugar.
Jed [AC: 14, HP: 9/10, Deity Disapproval: 1-2], Murq [AC: 13, 8/8]

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by Raven Crowking »

It is a long and weary hike out over the lonely moorland, and sun is obscured by iron-grey clouds. From the growling of your bellies, it must be near the noon hour by the time you reach the barrow mounds. It has been hours since you saw the last crofter's hut, for none dare dwell too close to this place. The area of the mounds is ancient, damp, and obscured by mist and a fine, light drizzling rain.

Low stone cairns line the overgrown and broken path, which leads to a large central mound. You can see smaller mounds off the path, in all directions – Many covered with stone doors, a few whose doors are cracked and opened into a jumble of stone, and still more which are completely buried in earth.

The central mound is encircled with standing stones. It’s large stone door rests face down, broken in two, in the long grass of the entranceway. The area is littered with skulls and bones. A foul smell emits from the interior of the mound and the darkness beyond is black as night.

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#11 Post by beermotor »

Grim and Pikar stand near to Milner. Pikar takes a deep breath. "Smells like home!" Grim chuckles. "All right, Mister Milner, you've been below before? We're with you."

Cisneros the elf positions himself behind the dwarves, and Darryl hangs back, looking around nervously.

bitflipr
Strider
Strider

#12 Post by bitflipr »

Murq and Turq let out belly laughs at their brethren's comments.

Morgan holds out his torch and asks, "Anyone got a light?"

Leopold stands cautiously looking across the landscape, hoping to catch sight of any trouble before it can sneak up on the group.

Is Milner leading the group?

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#13 Post by beermotor »

Darryl pulls some flint and steel out of a pocket. "Here, I'll light 'em up if you carry 'em." He lights a torch for Pikar and Morgan (and anyone else who needs a light).

bitflipr
Strider
Strider

#14 Post by bitflipr »

Morgan nods. He slips the book he was carrying into his small sack, while holding the torch out. Once lit, he holds the torch over the dark entrance and peers down.

Turq puts the chest he was carrying down on the ground, then hops on top of it for a brief rest. His brother Murq rests his dwarven hand on his brother's shoulder, while standing beside.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by Raven Crowking »

You can see broad steps leading downward into a larger space, and can catch glimpses of large supporting pillars in the gloom. The place smells, not surprisingly, like a vast grave.

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by beermotor »

[Everybody waits for the guy in the chainmail to make a move.]

bitflipr
Strider
Strider

#17 Post by bitflipr »

Murq addresses the crowd. "Okay. Which of you have traveled these paths here already? Is there a leader among us?"

Dumnbunny
Tracker
Tracker

#18 Post by Dumnbunny »

Jeddak and Loden, full of the impetuousness of youth, grip their "weapons" tightly, eager to enter the catacombs and make themselves rich. Sigur pulls his cloak tight to ward off the chill of the mist, and Dugar stoops to study the tracks on the ground in front of the central mound entranceway, more out of habit than out of hope of discovering something useful.
Jed [AC: 14, HP: 9/10, Deity Disapproval: 1-2], Murq [AC: 13, 8/8]

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#19 Post by beermotor »

[If Milner isn't going to be around often, maybe he doesn't make a good leader...]

Grim and Pikar descend into the gloom cautiously. Cisneros and Daryll follow.

bitflipr
Strider
Strider

#20 Post by bitflipr »

Leopold will follow the first four brave adventurers, with Morgan holding the torch behind him.

Turq will stand up off the chest and pick it up. Him then Murq will follow next.

Return to “DCC RPG Barrowmaze”