Expedition - Fingers: The Kobold Tower - 05 June 2021

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Fingers: The Kobold Tower - 05 June 2021

#341 Post by Marullus »

Ablesforth makes overtures to reassure the giants as the group backs away. The giant seems mollified and doesn't hurl anything or pursue. He also notes that the conditions of these giants are grimier and less kempt than those they saw previously. Soot-stained, in rotting rawhides, less of a look of intelligence about them.

The group pulls back hastily, reaching the cave-camp to reconsider their options.

Date: 9:00am, 12 June 2021
Light: Sun
Distance travelled: ~2 mile
Injuries: None

Rolls:
Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#342 Post by Dram »

Neegan- Runs as fast as his dwarf legs will move. We can give them Ogres a wide birth and still get to the other side of the city.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#343 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I think Eruanna's telling me that this ain't where I'm supposed to be at. Idriss and I was going to check out the things he seen in the Goblin cave. I got us side tracked to here and it's a lovely walk she taken, to be sure. But like I was saying, I think I'm being told to get in with Eruanna's work. What do you think, Idriss. And any of you all can come on with us. Able indicate he is happy to forgo a share of the treasure found so far, but wants to return to town for for and a few supplies.There's probably wondrous things to be found the, including some of that treasure you're all on about, maybe.

Voting for heading to town. And willing to head back with just Idriss.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#344 Post by Zhym »

"Beats getting killed," says Fingers. "And we're low on food anyway. But let's not waste a bunch of time in town like we normally do, okay?"
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#345 Post by Alethan »

Rhybek

Rhybek nods in agreement, ready to be far away from dragons and giants.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#346 Post by Marullus »

Resolving to flee expediently back towards the town, the group heads out. Following the advice of Ablesforth, the group heads back due east, following the track of the sun and hoping to see the city before them. Hiking ahead with their small crew of six and Craige the Mule, the day passes fairly uneventfully. Around mid-day, they happened upon a honeybee hive which yielded sticky combs to brighten then afternoon with unexpected sweetness. (+2 man-days honey)

The sun is falling towards the western horizon behind you after eleven hours meandering across the flat plains when you see a tower ahead and the smoke of cookfires. Approaching cautiously, you see ten dwarves laboring happily on the upper levels of a new tower's construction, three human guards watching affairs. One of the guardsman sees your approach and hails you - it seems you have found Beith's Watch after all.

The tower still has about a week's construction left to finish but is progressing nicely. The guardsmen show you the hide of a strange beast which they skinned and tacked out to tan and dry just over a week before - the size of a lion but with dark blue fur, clawed feet, a pair of feathery wings, and a pair of short horns. They say it had a head like a cow, but have disposed of it given the creepy nature of its serpentine eyes. The dwarves wouldn't abide the head and they avoid the tanning hide.

The guards confirm that the kobold tower you sought is just eight miles due north from here, and it is an easy day's walk back to town along the now well-beaten dirt path. The guardsmen apologize that there's no better welcome for you yet, nor extra food. They advise that you can camp safely adjacent to the dwarven tents, but that it best not to disturb them as they work hard and don't brook foolishness. You gratefully rest for the night and then consider your fates the next morning over breakfast. The dwarf foreman offers to inspect your finds - he looks at your emerald and tells you it is worth 100gp to the right buyer. He'll give you 90gp for it, if you like.

Please subtract on day's rations each.

Date: 8:00am, 13 June 2021
Light: Sun
Distance travelled: ~10 miles today
Injuries: None

Returning to Beith's Watch counts as a return to town, as it is a fixed outpost location. So, I'll credit-out the adventure so far as "Part 1." I won't run the clock ahead until you return to town proper given that it is a jump of a month. You can continue from here with current rations for a bit longer, or go back to town and rest up, setting out again at town-time.

Expedition Summary: Part One
Encounter: Giants in the Night
Encounter: Baboon Territory
Encounter: The Dragon's Tunnel
Encounter: The Carrion Flies Feast
Encounter: Return to the Giant Flies Cave (three encounters, total of 17 flies)
Encounter: The Hill Giant's Hovel

Distance: 4 Hexes traversed
Duration: 10 days

Treasure:
- 363 CP
- 88 SP
- 338 GP
- one medium emerald (100gp)
- 2 potions of healing
- three wizarding scrolls

Total per Character: 1,440 character xp / 682 item xp
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#347 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Able rises early the next day. After his daily prayers and meal, he spends some time the next day admiring the craftsmanship of the dwarfish construction, offering to help if they will accept it.

ration deducted.
Able has 3 trail rations of food left. If we spent a day or two hunting here, maybe we could go right on. Or head to a local farm and try to buy food. Able is happy to help with constructing this place.

As stated, Able will forgo a share of the treasure, though a healing potion would not be turned down if offered.

With the Christmas bonus, he has leveled up., So maybe he won't be so fragile as we proceed.

Oh. Marullus: I had asked earlier, but should Able have "wasted"his fresh rations after a week? I have held off using them because I thought yes. If that wasn't the case, I'll adjust his inventory.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#348 Post by Marullus »

Please scratch off all fresh rations now.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#349 Post by Zhym »

"You mean we coulda just taken the trail up here and gone straight north?" says Fingers when he hears the directions. "Gah!"

In the morning, he feeds Sprinkles and takes a survey. "Okay. Who wants to go to the Kobold tower now that we know where it is?"
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#350 Post by Alethan »

Rhybek

Rhybek is the first to chime in, "Aye, I'll head that way with ya. Even with the emerald, our take is just a pittance..."
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#351 Post by Zhym »

BTW: does anyone have less than three days of rations left? If not, I suggest that Able takes the honey.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#352 Post by Alethan »

Zhym wrote:BTW: does anyone have less than three days of rations left? If not, I suggest that Able takes the honey.
OOC: I think I'm down to seven, after the hunting/foraging/cooking maggots we did.

Should we sell the gem and split the 90? Also, what is on the scrolls? Did anyone actually look at them?
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#353 Post by Zhym »

The scrolls are wizard scrolls, right? Which means only Idriss can use them.

If we sell the emerald, the treasure adds up to 440 gp, 4 sp, 3 cp. How about shares of 86 gp for everyone except Idriss, who takes the scrolls and 10.43 gp spending money? Someone could take the gem instead of his or her share by putting 4 gold into the pot to even up the shares. If we head to the Kobold tower, the healing potions could remain communal property until we get back to town, to be used when needed.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#354 Post by Alethan »

Given his dwarven proclivities, Rhybek would toss in 4 gp and take the emerald stone as his share. I agree with the potions being communal property, to be used as needed.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#355 Post by Alethan »

Rhybek Baerdrum

Rhybek pulls four gold coins out of his thin coin pouch and tosses them into the pile, retrieving the green emerald and putting it in their place.

OOC: Deducted 4 gp from inventory, added 1 green emerald
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#356 Post by Zhym »

86 gp added to Fingers's sheet.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#357 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss, grateful for the respite in frontiers of civilized settings, takes a look at the craftsmen working and the remains of the creature found. h ehas heard these stories, mostly from the tavern and the river ranger Alcide, sporting his own 'jackbuck' skin jacket. The diversity of the creature is unsuaul, Idriss has seen cross breed forms, centaurs, satyrs, even a minotaur though each would deny they are anything but natural beings of creation. Willing to press on, he will offer to join Fingers expedition to the kobold tower.

added scrolls and 1gp to sheet. The 1.43gp he'll offer as tithes' to the continuing Infirmary work back in Gaul
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#358 Post by Alethan »

Rhybek Baerdrum

After the treasure is divided, Rhybek cleans his face and hands in a nearby stream. Then he takes an hour of time in devotion, saying prayers of thanks to Moradin at a particularly beautiful stone near the water.
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#359 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

If we are just scratching off fresh rations now, can I trade mine in for the trail rations back? I only used trail rations because I thought the fresh rations were"past date." That puts Able at 6 days of food. And I am guessing the honey good understanding trail rations?

Seeing Idriss join with the kobold tower mission, Able signs on as well, but not without pointing out that the Kobold tower is likely well trapped, just like the city.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#360 Post by Marullus »

You may swap the rations. Yes, honey counts as (sticky, inconvenient) trail rations.

I am confused by the consternation, though. If you were expecting rations to expire in seven days, why did you have more than seven days worth? Wouldn't you expect to waste them? Is it that you found usable forage? If it is, then that's the hand-wave. Forage is fresh rations, but found later so not expiring as fast (instead expiring now). We will just assume you ate the oldest things first.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”