Expedition - Foxy: Bounty On The Goblin HQ - 02 June 2021

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Foxy: Bounty On The Goblin HQ - 02 June 202

#921 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint is ok with the circlet, even if there is a 50/50 chance of it being evil. However, there are 4 magic items and 5 pcs, if I see this right. Seems we should draw straws?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#922 Post by Marullus »

First Group Treasure:
Foxy has the flaming sword of the goblin king. * Magic
Foxy has a sack with the goblin king's head.
Halfpint is carrying a small sack of mixed coinage (20lbs of mixed CP, SP, and EP)
- 104 cp
- 40 sp
- 56 ep
100 pp (reward money)

Second Group Treasure:
29 ep coins
25 ep bangle bracelets
13 ep
Two coffers of mixed coinage (200lbs)
- 1040 cp
- 400 sp
- 560 ep
- muddy red zircon (75gp)
- banded red and white sardonyx (100gp)
75gp gem - eye agate (75gp)
500gp Jewelry - a matching pair of most unusual electrum amulets, each set with a piece of serpentine stone. (500gp)

4 Shortbows (human make)
22 arrows and four quivers

(Shortbread's things)
60 lbs sack of dwarven personal effects collected by Shortbread
Thundred's shield * Magic
Thundred's axe * Magic

A dwarf-forged electrum circlet * Magic
Plus, the scrolls which I forgot. They contain four clerical spells: cause fear, resist fire (x2) and delay poison.
Option #2: Clay requested Amulets as his share, Baxtaw requested the Tooth in lieu of other shares.

397.94 gp in actual coin. Subtract 1% for conversion fee. Then add 100pp in reward.
139 pp, 3gp, 9sp, 6cp.

Gemstones:
Foxy tries to haggle with the Usurer. Gets better price on the Zircon.
Foxy CHA [3d6] = 8 [3d6] = 13 [3d6] = 13
75gp gem - muddy red zircon (67gp, 5sp cash value)
100gp gem - banded red and white sardonyx (80gp cash value)
75gp gem - eye agate (60gp cash value)
500gp Jewelry - a matching pair of most unusual electrum amulets, each set with a piece of serpentine stone. (125gp cash value)

Liquid Cash Value:
1726.46gp, or
172pp 6gp 4sp 6cp

Foxy: keeps the scimitar, a short bow, quiver and 8 arrows. (43pp, 1gp, 6sp, 1cp)

Clay: Keeps Clerical scrolls and Thundred's shield. All the dwarf personal stuff collected. (Keeps amulets (125gp) and 30pp, 6gp, 6sp, 1cp)

Grizzly: keeps Thundred's magic axe, a short bow, quiver and 7 arrows. (43pp, 1gp, 6sp, 1cp)

Baxtaw: keeps Dragon's Tooth. (No cash)

Half-pint: keeps the Magic dwarf-forged electrum circlet, a short bow, a quiver and 7 arrows. (43pp, 1gp, 6sp, 1cp)

This leaves one spare shortbow, which can be sold by someone for 12gp. (I'd recommend giving it to Baxtaw as a pittance.)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#923 Post by onlyme »

that works for me...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#924 Post by Stirling »

Foxy O'Hare

pockets +43pp leaving the change for the table tip. Drinking the rest of the wine from the bottle she nods gratefully to her companions and decides to go shopping and get her hair done...

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#925 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Keeps Clerical scrolls and Thundred's shield. All the dwarf personal stuff collected. (Keeps amulets (125gp) and 30pp, 6gp, 6sp, 1cp)
Clay agrees to the division of goods.

Clay acknowledges Ms. O'Hare's arguments on the topic of relative value of the tooth. Ms. O'Hare, though you may not remember it, you almost lost your life (again), and your mind in the service of ridding the world of the undead. I am grateful for you bringing us together and leading us to the Goblin King's lair. And for treating with the ogres - I hadn't ever had the chance of meeting and before. He pushes 5 platinum pieces her way, knowing it does not make up the difference she wanted, but it is all he can offer at the moment.

He also offers both Ms. O'Hare and Halfpint his condolences about losing their animal-friends. Leaving them to the troglodytes was a horrible, but necessary thing.

Clay offers the Grizzly Woman and Huckleberry accommodations at Beith's Watch, to act as a caretaker while he needs to be away. Maybe you can help me carry this stuff to Beith's Watch, even? PM sent, and... Dang! THis is going to be hard without opposable thumbs!!! :lol:

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#926 Post by Marullus »

...so who's doing the Expedition Tribute on this one? And, are you paying the Bard 100gp or doing the CHA roll? :)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#927 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Whether it's true or not, with Foxy just confessing that she made Scatha interested in the town, maybe be just pay the bard. :P

I feel like I won't have time to dedicate to writing anything up any time soon. Is anyone else available?

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#928 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint wont if it needs to be creative or lengthy... but she does wish Clay would use his cute little badger paws to write out some verses...

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#929 Post by Stirling »

Foxy

Previously I mentioned skimming the first 100gp off the treasure trove total to pay the bard. I had in mind to handprint our palms in the eventually cooled gold and hang it as a tribute.

With the stuff divided Foxy will narrate a tavern story but it will take the weekend to script it.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#930 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

We need to type it up, either way. It is just that we don't need to roll if we pay the bard. Clay is willing to pay the bard 20gp, which would be his share of it.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#931 Post by Stirling »

Foxy

"Don't worry, as I was about to tell the dragon, I have a way with words."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#932 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint will toss in 20 as well. as long as it is catchy and discusses her brave little Peck's courage and loyalty.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#933 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw- takes the the tooth and leaves as he walks out he states. I am off to see the Archduke. If you all are running from Gaul in fear, just remember there are 3 dragons out there and if we do not kill this one they will all find a city to terrorize.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#934 Post by onlyme »

I dont see whether Foxy paid for the tribute or is rolling for it?

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#935 Post by Stirling »

Foxy, pay for a tribute? having divided the plunder she will chance her arm and reputation with a stirring telling of the expedition.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#936 Post by Marullus »

Foxy CHA for tale (9) [1d20] = 17
So, that's a failure of almost double.

Foxy's Tale:
Stirling wrote:Foxy O'Hare

Foxy drains half a flagon of ruby ale before tapping the tankard on the tavern bar to bring the room to order. She steps onto the middle of a round table and raises her finger in a 'hush' whisper sound.

"Gather round, noble townsfolk, adventurers, peasant and penitents, one and all. I will not regale you with some bardic sonnet, no ripping yarn, no lore of old. For this tale of derring-do, this saga of do-or-die, is yet being scripted in the annuals of legend, her chapters unfinished which your present heroes will pen with bloodied blade not inked quills.

Bold and brazen were the Risen Dead, which harassed the Southron caravans seeking to bleed dry Gaul of trade and flesh. Summoned by the necromantic evocation of Dread Zhint's fingers, through the urging of Monoc's puppet, the Fell-King of the Goblins.

Bold and brazen, we the company of heroes who harkened to your cry. Where were the knights in armour shining? the Templars vindicar? did Gaul not unleash those mercenary 'dogs of war'? Havoc was the cry but Gaul mustered only a vain trio of stable boys, who stout of heart took courage to follow the meekest and smallest in Halfpint, a hobbit of indefatigable faith. Together with Baxtaw the noted elven spell-blade, Griselda of the mountains with her dire bear and Earth priest Clay, all gathered under my lance and my unfurled pennons to trek to this tyrants nether-lair. No fanfare ushered our sojourn, we became as ghosts, as silhouettes against the twilight moon. Druid prayers intoned roots of death to snare stray wargs in strangling vines, we immolated countless raiders in a pyre enough to sooth even Sdubok's gloating and we stood our ground against a horde of rabid wolverines. We yielded not so much as an inch of ground. Time and again we took their charge as they cast tooth and claw to overwhelm the thin red line of our blood which we stood upon. You all heard the clarion call, yes even here in Gaul, the horn of vengeance and our just wrath sounded as the thunder in the sky. Summoned thus by the celestial glories, came warriors of yore to hedge our lives until every last dire beast lay skinned for the carrion crows.

The echo of battles also past caught the ear and fancies of some who claimed to be kindred spirits. Though they were not one heart with us at first for they came seeking to plunder our arms and neigh say our noble quest.

Blackhelm's?
Blackheart's I say and so I did to their face, refusing to allow this chief of the greybeards to frisk and frolic as he pleased. I cautioned against his lack of wisdom but he wanted a tavern song at our expense. Only a requiem dirge his legacy now. His ire burned hot and his blood-thirst arose. It is true to their shame all my companions forsook me on the ridge, turning a blind eye to a dozen dwarven hefted mauls and cleaving axes. Alone I valiantly wielded my scimitar and I prevailed over them, slaying one and piercing another. A savage blow nearly cleaved my shoulder, see the scar I bear for Gaul. I relented from killing more fruitlessly as Clay sounded his horn again and brought these Dwarves to their senses and to their knees. My unbowed stand won their enduring respect and our priest intoned mercy for the slain one that he might live and serve as a vassal for the expedition and furthermore did the troop agree to stand as a 'wall of forlorn hope'. Their chief took a lock of my hair to swear his oath of allegiance upon. To redeem their pride and honour they provoked the wrath of the hobgoblin regiment at the palisade. They stood, they fought, they bled and they died, so that we few, we brave-heart few, entered the goblin secret crypts.

Our hirelings chose to fortify our rearguard, but the haven they thought was safe proved deadly. None who entered the Rex-trog cave came out alive. Death also stalked the halls we paced but Holy Words delivered us. Soon we came to a flight of stairs, down and down from mountain heights to the very dark roots of granite we delved, killing all who crossed our path. Should we have tenderness or thought of mercy on the Farrow's bane? No, for we slew left and right until at last we breached Dmukaz's temple. This priest of dark arts was beheaded and his acolytes nullified. Then we stormed the foul king's own inner sanctum. The lone dwarf held back to beat a war anthem on ancestral drums as we assaulted the hell chamber. A balcony of archers gave us a chorus of arrows but we retorted with critical shooting of our own. The mage cast a word to imprison the king in frozen animation and I ran a gauntlet of skeleton guards to skewer this green hag-king with his own balefire blade. Our dire bear clashed talon to fang with a mastiff from hell which breathed the very lava of the Abyss. But victorious we became, though not without loss for the Earth priest Clay succumbed to many blows, hacked and cloven into many pieces without pity. The Finger Bones of the Lich Zhint were turned to ashes in a purifying furnace. And then we prayed sincerely for our dearly departed.

As Beith and Gwanwen both confess in proverb, "unless a seed dies it remains but a seed, but if it dies it will grow much more fruitful." The celestial mercies again came to our aide and redeemed his life into this new badger reincarnation.

Alas the rhythm of the kettledrums was no victory reveille but a wake up call to that slime wrym Scatha. Crawling from his lair he came looking for both a feast and a fight. His fiery breath crisped the goblins who fled from his sight and his breath melted highgates of the purest gold into bubbling ripples of streaming tears. A lone gully dwarf, a kin-cousin, a Neanderthal clad only in loin cloths escaped the cells. He lead us out a maze of ruinous tunnels to breach the light once more. As we came upon our noble dead, desiring to build a lasting memorial to their sacrificial offering the dragon once more alighted. Black as the night sky and throbbing burnt red, it taunted those of us who could stand un-awed in its' presence. It gorged itself on the flesh of the dwarves and then commanded we give utterance to its desires. I offered it my golden shield to wear as a betrothal of peace but it sought no covenant with us save our death and destruction. With bow and blade we fought valiantly, blunting his talons and felling a canine tooth. It swallowed whole the gully dwarf with one mouthful and chomped him in one gulp. Body and bones masticated to dribble down the dragons jaw. He licked his lips dry of the dwarfs blood and asked for sweeter meats. Then the beast took flight and we too, hurried on our way. To warn Gaul and save her maidens.

This Scatha, this draconic wrym, descended upon our paths again and I took to entreat it once more but it cast a foul curse upon my mind and I was succumbed to numbness in my thoughts. My companions steadfast as ever, took to my care and nurtured me until I could have respite under the healing wings of Eruanna's dove.

And now Gaul calls once again, and where are the knights? where are the Templars true? I say by my own blood and bone, I will intercede once more and stand gallant upon the walls or at the vanguard with lance to joust with this creature and snuff out his blackened wretched heart. The flame that burns brightest is not of some scaly beast's vain boast but the beauty and virtue of our glorious maidens. Hell hath no greater fury, no cause more just, no passions burn brighter, than ours. 'The truth be known', I swear upon this dread blade, we will not fear."

running out of carousing words and thirsty Foxy finishes the grand embellishment of the expedition and downs the rest of her beer, raising her balefire scimitar and willing the green hue and tongues of fire to turn into ginger carroty fiery flames.
Foxy steps up onto the table, beginning what she hopes is a soul-stirring narration. There are some grumbles and gasps as she casts dispersion on the knights, the templars, Guardsmen, and even the mercenary camp. She is quite pleased with her brazen self-promotion, but the crowd begins to heckle her.

When she both insults the entire Blackhelm clan's honor and also reveals the deaths of so many of their number while she snuck away from battle, a table full of dwarves leaps up in rage and riot. "Blackhearts? BLACKHEARTS?" They shout as they rush the table on which she stands. Foxy pulls her sword, glowing with the sickly green balefire of the Infernal. She wills it orange in her grasp, but the gasp of horror has already gone through the crowd, which rises in support of the dwarves.

Foxy's table is upended, a snag tearing her fancy stockings as she tumbles to the ground. Hyde is able to intercede long enough for Foxy to escape up the stairs to her room where she listens to the rage and tummult below.

No fame or tribute for this expedition. Everyone keeps their coin. Foxy is now on Hostile terms with the Blackhelm dwarves. The Townsfolk mostly remember that you're the group that woke the dragon, not that you assaulted the goblins.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#937 Post by onlyme »

So is the distribution of goods final? I want to update Halfpint's sheet...
thanks

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#938 Post by Marullus »

Yes, I think everyone concurred. Clay gave foxy an extra 5pp. I'll put magic items on your character sheets and lock this thread shortly.

Foxy: keeps the scimitar, a short bow, quiver and 8 arrows. (48pp, 1gp, 6sp, 1cp)

Clay: Keeps Clerical scrolls and Thundred's shield. All the dwarf personal stuff collected. (Keeps amulets (125gp) and 30pp 25pp, 6gp, 6sp, 1cp)

Grizzly: keeps Thundred's magic axe, a short bow, quiver and 7 arrows. (43pp, 1gp, 6sp, 1cp)

Baxtaw: keeps Dragon's Tooth, the extra shortbow. (No cash)

Half-pint: keeps the Magic dwarf-forged electrum circlet, a short bow, a quiver and 7 arrows. (43pp, 1gp, 6sp, 1cp)

(If you don't want your shortbows, you can just post in Town Business that you sell it for 12gp. It's a standard transaction.)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#939 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

If no one wants the extra short bow, Clay can stow it at Beith's Watch. It will come in handy at some point.

Too bad for the group, that we'll not be remembered for helping the town at all, but that is a hilarious result of Foxy's tale. Next time, let's pay the tribute. :lol:

Stirling had indicated via PM that Foxy might accompany Clay to the Dwarfs. Clay would prefer to not have her, as her relationship is less than neutral. ;) Did anyone else want to return items? Clay will skirt the issue of Thundred's axe, focusing on the return of the shield and the Horn.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#940 Post by Starbeard »

Thundred's magic axe, a short bow, quiver and 7 arrows, plus 43pp, 1gp, 6sp, 1cp taken.

The Grizzly Woman shoos the bear back home as they reach town. "Git. I will be up there soon with lots of dinner and then some."

She accepts Clay's offer to go to Beith's Watch. "That is mighty kind of you. I have not been there but I heard about it and it sounds cozy and bigger than my own cave anyway. Here I will carry your stuff. We can stop by my cave on the way and I will get my own things."

The hulking woman wanders off through town to get supplies for the trip, whistling badly as she goes.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”