Expedition - Blackjack/Facing the Final Troll - 02 June 2021

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Blackjack/Facing the Final Troll - 02 June

#21 Post by Spearmint »

Blackjack Amistad

For all his endeavor it appears he is not really the Mandinke warrior type...Thrown axe attack [1d20+1] = 2+1 = 3 and damage [1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7

Amistad pulls out his smaller tomahawk axe and throws it to stick in the nearest fungal vine or creeper hanging from the roof, sadly not a big fat lump of lard troll standing right in front.

If he can dodge any blows Amistad will dive for his battleaxe and hope for better , third times the charm right!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Marullus »

Quick on the draw and disarmed of his favored axe, Amistad falls back and hurls a hatchet at the beast, his throw easily swatted aside by the creature. Earc invokes his mystical forces through the bit of clay as Amistad and Achaedany grab up their frogmen long spears. The creature howls, clenching its eyes shut. Beams of light pour from its eye sockets like wide lanterns, flashing on and off as it blinks rapidly. Amistad and Achaedany try to corral it with their spears as it begins to flail wildly, it is all they can do to remain clear of its maddened rage let alone land a blow. In fact, Achaedany is not successful in avoiding it - it catches her spear and grabs her into its maw, crunching her arm in its teeth with a horrible snapping sound (-10hp).

Day: 2 June 2021
Time: 3:32 pm
Light source: Cave Lichen, Continual Light driftwood (Amistad), Continual Light driftwood (Earc), Continual Light Eyeballs
Spells in Effect: Water breathing potions (until 4:30pm)
Injuries: Amistad (moderately injured),Achaedany (Majorly injured)

Rolls:

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Spearmint »

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Marullus »

(Un)fortunately, he didn't have the axe back yet. He needs to spend a round-action retrieving it. So, we'll assume he does that this round and you get a new roll on Round 4.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#25 Post by Alethan »

Earc Orctongue

Smiling at the results of his spell, Earc casts another spell at the gargantuan troll. This time, he holds a small hardened clay arrow in the palm of his hand and when he blows on it, an arrow of energy strikes the troll in the chest.
Magic Missile Damage [1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5

Alright, now that those low rolls are out of the way, let's see some natural 20s! Or maybe we can get a few rounds of missile weapons in if you can use your totem to scare it to the back of the cavern?

Marked Continual Light and Magic Missile spells off.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#26 Post by Alethan »

We can probably assume that Blackjack takes a round to retrieve his axe here...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#27 Post by Alethan »

Alethan wrote:We can probably assume that Blackjack takes a round to retrieve his axe here...
i take that back. I wouldn't want anyone to assume my next actions, so it wouldn't be fair to assume Spearmint's. Sorry, mate.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#28 Post by Alethan »

Alethan wrote:
Alethan wrote:We can probably assume that Blackjack takes a round to retrieve his axe here...
i take that back. I wouldn't want anyone to assume my next actions, so it wouldn't be fair to assume Spearmint's. Sorry, mate.
But... it would be nice to move this along. ;)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Marullus »

No, that's on me. :) I forgot to come back and update after I marked it read. Amistad locked into his action by rolling dice - he's going to get the axe.

Earc's spell fires forth from his hand, searing the flesh of the massive troll while Amistad dives for his axe. Achaedany and Alcide dance around the Troll as it flails, neither side landing a blow amidst the blinded troll's swinging limbs.

Time: 3:32 pm
Light source: Cave Lichen, Continual Light driftwood (Amistad), Continual Light driftwood (Earc), Continual Light Eyeballs
Injuries: Amistad (moderately injured),Achaedany (Majorly injured)

Rolls:

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#30 Post by Alethan »

Earc Orctongue

Earc sends another dart of hardened clay at the troll, which also explodes in magical energy as it strikes the troll.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Spearmint »

Blackjack Amistad

"Well at least I didn't drop it!"

Axe melee [1d20+2] = 6+2 = 8 Axe damage [1d8+2] = 2+2 = 4

Blackjack calls Achaedany to house the beast with oil. If Al and me can dodge it's blind lumbering frame, we might have s chance. Does it suffer a penalty to hit because it is blinded? If we are invisible to it that helps a lot?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#32 Post by Alethan »

Spearmint wrote: Blackjack Amistad

"Well at least I didn't drop it!"

Axe melee [1d20+2] = 6+2 = 8 Axe damage [1d8+2] = 2+2 = 4

Blackjack calls Achaedany to house the beast with oil. If Al and me can dodge it's blind lumbering frame, we might have s chance. Does it suffer a penalty to hit because it is blinded? If we are invisible to it that helps a lot?
I believe it basically means it is fighting blind, which should be a -4 penalty to all attacks (and an AC penalty? Not sure of that). Also, it's permanent unless dispelled with Dispel Magic. Sorry, Troll...

If you aren't keeping track, so far we've done 14pts of damage to it. It will start regenerating (maybe? Depends on how sick it is or what the effects of sickness are?) next round. I have but one magic missile left... Can't wait until Earc is Level 5 and can possibly launch 12 missiles (4 spells @ 3 missiles each)!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#33 Post by Alethan »

lol...

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Marullus »

Earc's spell arcs towards the beast again, searing another spot on its barn-door sized chest. They watch in horror, however, as the javelin wound from Achaedany's first throw closes up and seals itself before their eyes.

Taking her direction from Amistad's yell, Achaedany pulls and lights one of the flasks of oil, hurling it at the creature. She hits! The blind, flailing troll yowls in fear and anger as the oil splashes across its back and begins to sear its torpid flesh. Amistad grabs up his axe and swings, narrowly missing as he misjudges the distance with his frenzied act. Alcide, however, takes up his long spear and rushes the creature, plunging the spear straight into and through its rubbery hide, through its chest cavity, and out its backside (critical hit). He just manages to yank it free again as the troll drops back, significantly weakened by the blow. A blow like that should have felled the beast, but its bloated flesh seems far more resilient than you expected.

In a mad rage, the troll catches Achaedany with its claw, the range of its long arms difficult to judge. The leather-clad woman hisses through her teeth, holding her side and falling back, significantly injured by the creature's repeated blows, but still on her feet.

Time: 3:33 pm
Injuries: Amistad (moderately injured),Achaedany (severely injured)

Rolls:

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#35 Post by Alethan »

Earc Orctongue

Earc fires off his last offensive spell. He smirks, seeing that it doesn't do as much damage as he would have liked, but... at least it gives the creature something to have to heal the next round...

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Spearmint »

Blackjack Amistad

Axe melee [1d20+2] = 3+2 = 5 Axe damage [1d8+2] = 1+2 = 3

"More oil Archaedany and fire. Burn the beast or let it call for mercy from the roasting fires."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Marullus »

Amistad cries out to Achaedany. Achaedany grabs another flask from the dry-sack at the pool's edge, lighting it and hurling it at the beast. It shatters and splashes more flame across the rubbery hide, which shrivels and smokes underneath it. The noxious smell of burning rubber-flesh fills the cavern. Earc summons more mystical energies, the troll roaring once more as it is assailed by mystical energies it cannot target with its claws.

The troll pinpoints Amistad by his yell, swinging out a massive clawed hand and gashing him deeply (-5hp). Alcide again strikes the troll with his longspear, puncturing its flank as it wounds his companion.

(how many flasks of oil did you bring?)

Injuries: Amistad (majorly injured),Achaedany (severely injured)

Rolls:

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#38 Post by Alethan »

Marullus wrote: (how many flasks of oil did you bring?)
Wow. I can't believe I found the post with the shopping list in it!
viewtopic.php?p=270078#p270078
flasks of oil x18 for 18 sp
large sacks x3 for 6sp
firebrand torches x 24 for 9sp
wineskins x3 and waterskins x3 for 6gp
unpreserved rations 5 days worth for 3 people for 3gp totaling 12 gp and 3 sp. knocked off Amistads' sheet.

These are divided up equally between Amistad, Alcide and Achaedany to carry. 27.5lbs of weight each.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Marullus »

Wow. So... PLENTY of oil. :lol:

Next round! Actions!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#40 Post by Alethan »

Earc begins throwing oil cocktails at the troll as well.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”