Expedition - Blackjack/Facing the Final Troll - 02 June 2021

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Blackjack/Facing the Final Troll - 02 June

#41 Post by Spearmint »

Blackjack Amistad

Not much success in melee, Amistad will take cover behind a rock or pillar and throw some oil flasks at the creature.

how many can he throw?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#42 Post by Alethan »

Spearmint wrote: Blackjack Amistad

Not much success in melee, Amistad will take cover behind a rock or pillar and throw some oil flasks at the creature.

how many can he throw?
one per round, I would assume, if you're asking the ROF for this particular missile weapon.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Marullus »

Correct - one a round. 1d8 damage, burns for a two rounds on a hit. Normal range is up to 30'. You get a +1 to hit if within 10', but in this case that puts you in melee range, too. Misses are subject to rules for firing into melee (if you miss and rolled an odd number, then it hits someone else in the combat). As it will continue to close on you, at least one person will be in melee with it on any given round.
Does it suffer a penalty to hit because it is blinded? If we are invisible to it that helps a lot?
Blindness is a -4 penalty to hit, same as total darkness. I'm accounting for it.

Waiting for Amistad's throw (roll [1d20] [1d8]) then I'll move the round forward.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#44 Post by Alethan »

OOC: I assumed there would be risk with lobbing fire bombs. The risks are somewhat significant (hitting a melee player with flaming oil) with the wrong rolls. We've been quite lucky up to now. That is why I'm generally opposed to resorting to fire unless absolutely necessary; we need it to kill the troll.

Just be careful. A 1 To Hit would be really bad when dealing with flaming oil.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Marullus »

Pish. What are the chances he'll roll a 1? :lol:

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#46 Post by Alethan »

Marullus wrote:Pish. What are the chances he'll roll a 1? :lol:
Too good for the nonce. ;)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Spearmint »

Blackjack Amistad

Flaming flask [1d20] = 4 hellfire damage [1d8] = 4

As he ignites various parts of the cave instead of the troll, what else can he see?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Marullus »

Spearmint wrote:As he ignites various parts of the cave instead of the troll, what else can he see?
Nothing more - the cave is already quite well lit between the phosphorescent lichen and five Continual Light spells.

The creature continues to burn, Achaedany's oil searing the flesh and making it bubble as it melts from the meat underneath. Earc and Achaedany splash two more vials of oil across its girth, adding to the flame, while Amistad's throw goes wide and shatters on a cavern wall, knocking down a handful of glittering coins.

Alcide keeps the troll at bay, lunging in once more with his spear. The troll swipes across simultaneously, catching Alicide with its claw and pulling him to its massive, mishappen maw. He screams in a moment of agony as it crunches his entire right side in its teeth, then spits him to the floor. He lies unmoving, a bloody pulp.

Significantly aflame, the creature dives for the cool waters of the cavern pool.

Day: 2 June 2021
Time: 3:35 pm
Light source: Cave Lichen, Continual Light driftwood (Amistad), Continual Light driftwood (Earc), Continual Light Eyeballs
Spells in Effect: Water breathing potions (until 4:30pm)
Injuries: Amistad (majorly injured), Achaedany(severely injured),Alcide (dying)

Rolls:

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Spearmint »

Blackjack Amistad

"Oil will probably burn on the water surface for s couple of rounds. Troll probably stay underneath regenerating, then jump out when fat and healthy. Earc can you see to Alcide with the herb poultice. "

Suggest heal up Alcide with herbs, Ami and Achaedany raid the cavern packing sacks. Ready all the flasks in one huge spill to light when he comes ashore. Then dive for the riverbank and escape.

With that in mind, instead begins to fill a sack with whatever is at hand, jewellery, gems,

Can Achaedany gather the weapons and Earc snatch a few books, items if interest. We grab Alcide and drah him out if still unconscious.

Amistad has an idea to trade the trolls blinded eyesight for us raiding the cave and leaving unharmed. Do trolls speak common? Only one way to find out...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#50 Post by Alethan »

Earc Orctongue

Earc rushes over to Alcide to see if he can be saved. If he can, then Earc uses one of his doses of Tormentil to help stabilize him. If he is obviously beyond saving, then he doesn't waste the herbs.

"The troll can only heal the damage from the spear wounds, and maybe from my magical attacks, though I'm uncertain of that... But it cannot regenerate the fire damage. He should stay under for several minutes, anyway, if that is the case. But also remember that opening is small enough it probably can't get out! So come back it must."

Once Earc has determined if Alcide can be stabilized or if he is beyond help, he says, "Yes, grab the gems and jewelry. Let me determine the rest before we go after coins..."

Earc then casts a handful of white sand into the air, throwing it over the items in the cave and tries to identify any and all items that have magical powers. He will point out things for Achaedany to gather and gather things up himself as quickly as possible, stowing anything that might be damaged from water into the waterproof canvas sack if it fits, before filling it with anything else.
Detect Magic spell marked off.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Marullus »

They let the troll dive. It splashes into the pool, a bow wave of water crashing out of the pool and onto the stone cavern floor, pushing about their waterproof sack and oil flasks. The surface of the water is a choppy mess, the troll a dark, looming mass beneath the surface.

Alcide is horribly mangled and unconscious, bleeding out, but still has signs of life. He can be stabilized but it seems clear that a single dose of Tormentil herbs will not be enough to restore him to wakefulness.

There are no gems or jewelry, as you sacked the place for them on your last visit. The shine of coins flashes around the room - they are lined up edge to edge on narrow ledges and wall-cracks the whole way around the room. The piles of trash on the floor would need to be searched more extensively.

Holding on further action resolution until decisions are made about Alcide.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#52 Post by Alethan »

Actually, what you said at the time was that we'd be able to grab half the visible gems and jewelry. I can link the post.

Earc uses both of his doses of healing herbs to try and revive Alcide.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#53 Post by Alethan »

Here is the post... viewtopic.php?p=274379#p274379

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#54 Post by Alethan »

Earc Orctongue

After stabilizing Alcide with the two herb bundles, Earc will devote his time to trying to sort through the debris, taking advantage of the Detect Magic spell to cull out items of importance.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Marullus »

My apologies- that is you singular v. you plural. One of you could have grabbed half. With two of you focusing just on the visible gems and jewelry, I let you grab it all. Visible treasure is now just the coins. You'll then find more stuff in the piles.

viewtopic.php?p=274379#p274470
Realizing the creature will not likely remain afraid long enough for Earc to return, the two of you working together do a sprint around the perimeter of the trash-filled room, grabbing all the gems and jewelry that the trolls have put on display.
From the previous post, it will take an hour to bag up all the coins. It will take two hours to search all the rubbish. However, with detect magic, you can pull out the magic items in a turn.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#56 Post by Alethan »

Marullus wrote:My apologies- that is you singular v. you plural. One of you could have grabbed half. With two of you focusing just on the visible gems and jewelry, I let you grab it all. Visible treasure is now just the coins. You'll then find more stuff in the piles.
Ooooh... that's too bad.

Then Earc suggests Blackjack further treat Alcide while he spends the appropriate time going through the piles of stuff to identify items of interest.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#57 Post by Alethan »

Earc Orctongue

Blackjack, see if you can get Alcide awake with more of the herbs. I'll leave my second dose here by him. I need time to sort through the piles of debris for anything of value. Ach, start grabbing all the things I point out as we sort. We will need to work fast.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Spearmint »

Blackjack Amistad

Sees to Alcide, comforting him with the river ranger song and hastily placing the healing herbs over the wounds binding them on. He watches the water for movement from the troll. If it appears above water with his head he will totem power a lion roar at it, making like a fierce beast defending it's territory. It might give us a few extra rounds to gather stuff.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Marullus »

Acting quickly, Earc uses Tormentil to treat the mangled Alcide's injuries, tying his savage wounds with clean bandages treated with the herb. He stabilizes, but remains unconscious and in bad shape. He'll need to rest eight hours (i.e. overnight) before it is safe to move him, or 24 hours to hope he wakes to swim out.
[1d3] = 2 [1d3] = 2

More bubbles and splashing rise from the water, an unsubtle reminder of the massive beast which waits, beneath. Flares of light can be seen in the depths as it opens and closes its eyes, diffuse in the dark depths.

Achaedany is caught giving a sympathetic, worried look to Alcide, then scowls back at Earc and Amistad. She assists Amistad in pouring oil out on the lip of the pool, ready for the troll's re-emergence. (-9 flasks in thee patches to cover the waterline. 5 flasks thrown. 4 flasks left.) She stands ready with the torch while Amistad moves about the cavern and begins bagging gold coins in to large sacks. (one sack of 600gp complete)
The cavern is fairly large, you are on one end of the egg-shaped dome. It is about 100' wide and 150' long.
There are easily one to two thousand gold coins sparkling along the walls and five times as many copper coins with pale green patina.

Facing roughly 15,000sqft of trash and nesting material, Earc has a daunting task. He tosses sand in the air and chants his eldritch words of power - the sand hangs and sparkles a moment before flaring out as minute dots of multi-colored light. Earc is able to discern the auras of magical influence, pacing the room slowly to discern the concentrations of energy of greatest interest.

He pulls out a shortsword and a shield, both with Imbued magical auras of some long-ago eaten hero. He also finds ten flasks of various sizes, each plugged with a wax seal, each radiating the Created magic of potions. One he recognizes as the now-familiar aura of a Potion of Water Breathing. Three of them are of the same ilk, but their nature remains a mystery. The other six are of different varieties, none of them the same. He also notices that the strongest aura is from the cave itself - A large round lump of petrified yellow stone high on the far wall radiates magic of nature and nurturing. Tiny drops of thick yellow liquid drip slowly, one at a time, into a pool, a deep yellow stain on the indentation in the stone, but otherwise licked clean of all but a few remnants at the moment. As he kicks through piles, he finds an inordinate amount of tarnished silver coins, apparently not regarded as worthwhile by the trolls. Perhaps more silver coins than the gold and copper combined.

After a brief turn, the water erupts once more, the troll leaping abruptly from the depths, propelled off the stone wall by its powerful tree-trunk legs and landing on the oil-slicked stone of the pool's edge.
[1d20] = 5 troll dex

The troll slips but keeps its footing, its blinded eyes not expecting the trap laid for it. Achaedany torches the oil, the flames flaring up around the troll and cutting it off from the water. It howls in rage, confused, blinded, and burning.
[3d8] = 5 flaming oil damage

It lunges at Achaedany, trying to pull her into the flames.
Troll: [1d20] = 5 [1d20] = 4 [1d20] = 13 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 6 [1d10] = 5

The troll catches her arm with its massive teeth, nearly severing it. She pulls free with an angry cry, then collapses in shock just outside the limits of the flaming oil.

Actions?

Day: 2 June 2021
Time: 3:50 pm
Light source: Cave Lichen, Continual Light driftwood (Amistad), Continual Light driftwood (Earc), Continual Light Eyeballs
Spells in Effect: Water breathing potions (until 4:30pm)
Injuries: Amistad (majorly injured), Alcide (near death),Achaedany (dying)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Marullus »

I've been typing for an hour - it appears we cross-posted. There are three options:
* Keep as-is according to previous action statements
* Achaedany is off helping Earc and Amistad is watching the water with the torch, in which case I'll re-roll the attack and damage and apply it to him instead. He an use the torch this round and, if he lives, roar in round 2.
* Nobody is holding the torch at the oil-trap, everyone is bagging treasure per new actions. In that case there is no fire damage to the troll and I'll decide who it reaches by its charge randomly, re-rolling attack and damage for it. Amistad roars this round instead of the fire happening, and initiative will determine if it injures someone first.

I need you both to agree on one of those three, then declare actions for round 2. I'll amend if necessary and adjudicate the new round at the same time.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”