Session 0: Character Creation

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Session 0: Character Creation

#61 Post by Enoch »

Oh, I have Scholar. No reason for me to take Cartographer.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#62 Post by Faolan7 »

I finally got around to making campaign notes. As for character creation, this is what I have so far. If I've missed anything, please do say so, but don't worry about not having finished parts of it, as we haven't reached most of these steps yet.

Class: Finished
Stock: Finished
(Current) Hometown: Still need Tymian's (Coil) and Rusty's
Specialty: Only have Magda's
Wises: Still need Tymian's and Rusty's
Nature: Still need to do questions
Circles and Relationships: Need to flesh out/start
Gear: Haven't started
Spells: I'm pretty sure Tymian is the only character who still needs to do magic.
Alignment: Only have Isabelle's
Belief: Haven't started
Instinct: Only have Isabelle's
Raiment: Only have Magda's

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Marullus »

coil23 wrote: Perhaps I underestimated the uniqueness of Burning Wheel systems. I got the pdf for the rules and started looking through...it seems I will definitely need help with character creation. :oops: So I am voting in favor of group creation.
I feel like we're rapidly out-posting and further confusing Coil... So, now that we know his basic Cleric concept, I'm going to try to help by breaking out a step-by-step for him.
Tymian is a cleric of some experience and has risen a fair ways in the church as his devotion and discipline have become evident. He is too veteran to be naive any longer and so understands there is grey in the world. But while he is respected, he is not overly popular due to a reputation for being a stickler for details and rules (called Tymian the Tight behind his back). The church finds the need for this shadow squad distasteful but, alas, necessary due to the dire situation. [dire situation to be defined later, I assume] Tymian has been assigned to accompany the group to be the eyes and ears of the church and, ostensibly, to enforce the true morals and dictates of the church. In reality, Tymian has been given the uncomfortable burden of having to be a witness to the dealing with this situation in any way necessary while still balancing the public moral face of the church. Tymian is valued and respected enough within the church to be given this important but unenviable task. He is to be the church's official representative and scapegoat.
You are a Human Cleric.

Raw Abilities: You divide 8 points between Will (mental stuff) and Health (physical stuff). Pick one:
6 Will / Health 2
5 Will / Health 3
4 Will / Health 4
(assuming from your background that you don't want him to be stronger than he is smart.)

Skills:
Write down all of these, which you get for being a cleric:
Ritualist 4, Theologian 3, Fighter 2, Healer 2, Scholar 2

Pick one human skill of these and give it a rating of 3:
Criminal, Haggler, Pathfinder or Survivalist

Pick one Social Grace. How do you deal with people?
  • Via trade and banter in town square. Haggle 2
  • Lying and tricking. Manipulator 2
  • Speeches/sermons to groups. Orator 2
  • Convincing one-on-one. Persuader 2
Pick a Specialty. Each of us need a different one.
Some raise an existing skill:
Criminal 4 (if you picked it), or Haggler/Manipulator/Persuader/Orator 4 (if you picked it), or Pathfinder 4 (if you picked it), or Survivalist 4 (if you picked it), or Healer 3
Or... you can pick one of the ones you don't have and open it at 2:
Cook 2, or Dungeoneer 2, or Hunter 2, or Scavenger 2

Make up a Wise.
You know a lot about something. It helps your other rolls and actions when it applies and should be thematic to concept. Examples are... (which you can pick, or make one up)
Church Secret-Wise
Monastery-Wise
(name a monster)-Wise (also gives their language)
(name a town)-Wise

Traits: Write down Touched by the Gods 1, which is what makes you a Cleric.

Hometown... where you come from determines part of who you are.

Look at these four scenarios and see if any of them appeal to your character (they don't have to; it is just a minor game advantage).
  • If you don't boast in bars, instead spending your time prepping for the worst AND you have no friends in this world, you can have Loner 2. (any hometown can be chosen, as Loner replaces its trait. You still get a hometown skill)
  • If you don't boast in bars, spending your time prepping for the worst AND you grew up near a wizard's tower (Hazla hometown) you can have Thoughtful 2.
  • If you do not hide from danger behind town walls because you have no fear of monster hordes AND you grew up in a busy crossroads (Bedford hometown) you can have Foolhardy 2.
  • If you do not hide from danger behind town walls because you have no fear of monster hordes AND you grew up in a Religious Bastion (Narbara hometown), you can have Defender 2.
If you don't like any of those, then look at the full list of Towns: viewtopic.php?f=422&t=6017
  • Pick a Town.
  • Pick one of the town's skills. If you have it already (above), increase by one. If not, write it down as being a 2.
  • Pick one of the town's traits and write it down with Touched by the Gods 1 on your sheet. (You only have two traits: this one, and Touched by the Gods 1.)
Once you get that far, we'll continue. You answer next answer a set of questions about how Human you are and then about your relationships/friends. We'll all get to Gear last.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#64 Post by coil23 »

Let me know if this works:

Tymian (the Tight)
human cleric

health 4
will 4

skills
ritualist 4
theologian 3
fighter 2
healer 3 (specialty)
scholar 2
pathfinder 3

social grace
orator 2

wise
church secret (it's a really good secret because right now I don't even know what it is)

trait
touched by the gods 1

home town
loner trait
still choose one? then Narbara appeals...still get a trait, then cartographer

explanations:
While not well-liked by, well...anyone, but a respected and dutiful servant of the church, he gets important but lonely tasks. Tymian is often an ambassador and messenger for important church missives. His oration skills are honed by making the church's case to distant clients. His pathfinder and cartographer skills have been built by his many travels (often alone) between sites. Narbara might seem to have created the loner but more likely it simply fits who he already was. Being the minority as human in this dwarven community only exacerbates his loner status. But he still values the community as he has high esteem for the discipline and morality of the dwarves.

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#65 Post by Faolan7 »

That looks good Coil. I didn't see any discrepancies. Also, thank you Marullus for giving Coil a walkthrough for character creation!

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#66 Post by coil23 »

I should have said that already. Yes, thank you very much, Marullus, for the template and instructions. That was a huge help (aka probably the only reason I have something to show).

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#67 Post by Faolan7 »

I should've done more to help you, but if you have any questions feel free to ask them. I'll do my best to answer, but one of the veterans would probably be more helpful :) .

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Marullus »

Glad to help!

I've converted your sheet onto the template for you with what we have so far. You can quote then copy/paste this onto the Character Sheets thread. (That allows you to own it and modify it yourself during game play.)

A note on this: church secret (it's a really good secret because right now I don't even know what it is)
You don't know a secret. You're clued in to all of them. You may not have friends or allies in the church, but dang, you know all the dirt. :) What this means: Whenever "church secrets" would be a factor in a challenge we face, you can use it to help other characters without risk to yourself and also to re-roll failed dice on your own rolls.

Okay! On to the next things!

Relationship questions:
  • By focusing on being a Loner, we skip all these. :) You don't have any friends, mentor, or parents. You do have an enemy. You begin with Circles 1 (your ability to find friendly-faces in towns). However, having no friends means you start with more cash to yourself (I put it on your sheet).
Nature questions:
  • You start this exercise with a Nature 3. (High nature can be rolled in place of skills you don't have, but makes it harder to learn new skills.)
  • When the elves and dwarves voice their concerns, do you demand to be heard as an equal or do you bow your head and listen to the wisdom of your elders? If you demand your rights: lower Scholar from 2 to 1 and raise Nature from 3 to 4. If you listen: Do nothing.
  • Would you flee from the hordes of goblins, beasts and monsters that prey on civilization or will you plunge into
    their midst, questing for treasure? If you'd hide: Nature +1. If you do not fear them, do nothing. (Option is to replace Loner trait, which you don't want to do.)
Write down your final nature based on those questions.

Next, a few odds and ends:
  • Name and describe your NPC Enemy.
  • Describe your Raiment/Look.
  • Describe the ring that you have from your (dead) parents.
  • Choose one weapon: flail, mace, sling or warhammer. (Mace is balanced for all uses. Also damages platemail. Flail improves Feints but reduces Defends. It ignores shields. Warhammer improves Attacks but reduces Defends. It ignores chainmail and damages platemail. Sling is balanced like a mace but gives a big advantage on Maneuvering actions. It takes up your pouch as well as your hand.)
  • Choose either a Helmet or a Shield. (Helmet is 'always on' but only works once. Takes one success off an attack that hits. Shields give a better chance of not being hit but you must choose to use it in a conflict by Defending instead of Attacking on a turn. A shield also makes you more exhausted as you carry it.)
Then, the hard stuff.
  • Write a statement that defines his core Belief. "You have a philosophy, code or belief that guides you,
    something that drives you (perhaps in desperation) to seek wealth or adventure. Invent one for your character and write it on your character sheet in the indicated area. If you invoke that Belief in play—if it guides your actions and gets your character into trouble—then you earn a reward at the end of the session."
  • Then, we write an instinct. This is very game-mechanic driven, so I'll ask Enoch and Rusty to step in with suggestions. A good, common default for the person with the Healer specialty is, "Always make poultices when we camp." There are likely better ones, though. Instincts are conditional statements of action. “Always do
    this” or “Never do that” or “If that happens, do this.”
  • We also make a Goal, but none of us do that until the adventure is laid-out for us.
"Group gear" - i.e. who carries the food and the torches, what other swag to be bring - is then handled collectively.

Character Sheet:
NAME: - Disciple Tymian (the Tight)

CONDITIONS
Fresh: +1D to all tests until new Condition

CLASS/STOCK: - Human Cleric
LEVEL: 1
Benefits: Your level 1 title is Disciple. Your level benefit is the ability to wear any armor and use a shield, mace, flail, warhammer and sling. You can also invoke the Fury of the Lords of Life and Death.
ALIGNMENT: - Law
ORDER OF MIGHT: 3
RAIMENT: -

BELIEF: -
GOAL: -
INSTINCT: -

RELATIONS
HOME: - Narbara
PARENTS: - No.
MENTOR: - No.
FRIENDS: - No.
ENEMIES: -No.
TRAITS & WISES
TRAIT: - Touched by the Gods 1
TRAIT: - Loner 2

WISE: - Church Secret-Wise
Advancement: -
EXPERIENCE POINTS
CURRENT FATE: 0
SPENT FATE: 0 / 3
Spend Fate to reroll all 6's as new dice, or reroll a single failed die related to your Wise.
CURRENT PERSONA: 0
SPENT PERSONA: 0 / 3
Spend Persona to tap Nature, or add +1D to a test, or reroll all failed dice on a test related to your Wise.
CHECKS: 0
Checks allow you to make Camp and recover from Conditions.
ABILITIES
WILL: - 4
HEALTH: - 4
NATURE: 3 / 3
Descriptors: - Boasting, Demanding, Running
RESOURCES: 0
CIRCLES: 1
SKILLS
ALCHEMIST: Will
ARCANIST: Will
ARMORER: Health
CARPENTER: Health
CARTOGRAPHER: Will
COMMANDER: Will
COOK: Will
CRIMINAL: Health
DUNGEONEER: Health
FIGHTER: 2
HAGGLER: Will
HEALER: 3
HUNTER: Health
LABORER: Health
LORE MASTER: Will
MANIPULATOR: Will
MENTOR: Will
ORATOR: 2
PATHFINDER: 3
PEASANT: Health
PERSUADER: Will
RIDER: Health
RITUALIST: 4
SAILOR: Health
SCAVENGER: Health
SCHOLAR: 2
SCOUT: Health
STEWARD: Will
STONEMASON: Health
SURVIVALIST: Health
THEOLOGIAN: 3
WEAVER: Will
EQUIPMENT & INVENTORY
HEAD: -
NECK: - Holy Symbol

HANDS (worn): - Family Heirloom (+1D cash)
HANDS (worn): -
HANDS (carry): -
HANDS (carry): -

TORSO: - Leather Armor
TORSO: -
TORSO: -
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - Pouch of Cash (+2D cash)
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: -
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: -
BACKPACK: -

BELT (pouch): -
BELT (weapon): -
BELT (skin): - Wine (2)
FEET: - Shoes
MAGIC & MIRACLES
Fury of the Lords of Life and Death
Ritualist Ob to cast: The Might of the Undead creature, +1 Ob per additional target (use the highest Might in the group to determine the base Ob). Fury must be evoked before a conflict, not during.
Fury of the Lords of Life and Death Effect
Meeting the obstacle allows the prayer to affect one undead monster (the one with the lowest Might). The prayer affects a number of additional undead monsters equal to the margin of success. Monsters are affected in order from the lowest Might to the greatest. If two different monsters are equal in Might, the one with the lowest Nature is affected first. Undead monsters affected by the prayer must do everything in their power to flee the cleric’s wrath. Fleeing monsters that are attacked are released from the prayer and may engage the cleric and his companions. If a cleric’s level is greater than the Might of an undead creature affected by the spell, the creature is destroyed—consumed in a pillar of flame that leaves only a pile of salt. However, if a cleric attempts to use this prayer on an undead creature and fails to affect it, the cleric cannot invoke the Fury against that particular creature again until he gains a level.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Marullus »

Okay... and back to Isabelle:
Since Tymian has the Healer specialty, I have opted for Isabelle to have Persuader 3. We have a corpse, a vampire, and an anti-social cleric, so it seems that the witch niche is going to be as the social one. :) She has Persuader 3, Circles 4, and an instinct to weave her Charm Person spell into everything she makes.

Thematically, I like this. She's a teenage girl and also an orphan, now burned out of her home twice. Having friends and ensuring people like her is a crucial life skill for her. Her spell is pretty ineffective at this stage - it calls for an opposed roll of her Enchanting 2 versus a target's Will or Nature. So, her constantly practicing will hopefully advance the Enchanting skill, but may not do much else.

So, she is useful to the group as their Cook, as their Pharmacist (alchemy is cool!), and as their social face. She has no Fighter skill, so I imagine she'll be left out of those conflicts (i.e. the group protects the little girl). She can try her wand-casting when appropriate and it doesn't take turn to do so.

...she has NO adventuring skills. :shock:

Looking across the group:
  • We have Healer, Persuader, Scout, and Cartographer covered as specialties.
  • We have Scholar, Theologian, and Loremaster covered in great depth. :) We also have three Orators. :lol:
  • We have Pathfinder, Cartographer, Hunter, and Scout covered as adventuring skills. We have no Dungeoneer, Criminal, or Survivalist.
Rusty, how's the rest of your sheet look? Did you pick Criminal, Haggler, Pathfinder or Survivalist? Are you picking Orator 4, or adding a second Social Grace at 2?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Marullus »

For the other experts...
Create Elixirs and Salves Factors
Remove Condition (via aqua vitae or vapor): afraid,
angry, exhausted
Duration (one test free): counts as recovery
The "one test free" but is a factor for Counts as Recovery confuses me.

Does that mean it is afraid (Ob 2), angry (Ob 3), exhausted (Ob 4), or
afraid (Ob 1), angry (Ob 2), exhausted (Ob 3)?

If you can check my work generally, I'm trying to make sure I understand Ob Factors right. (From page 136-138)
Using a Fresh Ration to feed the whole party is Cooking Ob 2.
Using a Preserved Ration to feed the whole party is Cooking Ob 3.
Enchanting something with her spell is Enchanting Ob 2. (same as scroll)
Enchanting a new wand with her spell is Enchanting Ob 4 (2+2 extra charges).
Recharging her wand (or a rod) is Enchanting Ob 3.
Brew elixir to remove Afraid is Alchemist Ob 2.
Brew elixir to remove Angry is Alchemist Ob 3.
Brew elixir to remove Exhausted is Alchemist Ob 4.
Brew vapor to cause Afraid until recovery is Alchemist Ob 2.
Brew vapor to cause Angry until recovery is Alchemist Ob 3.
Brew vapor to cause Exhausted until recovery is Alchemist Ob 4.
Make poultice to give a +1D to recover from Exhausted is Healer Ob 1.
Make poultice to give a +1D to recover from Afraid is Healer Ob 2.
Make poultice to give a +1D to recover from Sick is Healer Ob 3.
Make an Incendiary as a weapon with +1s Feint is Alchemist Ob 4.
Also...
The Witch can recharge items in camp. She can enchant new rods, staves, wands, and gear as durable goods in town. What about expendable items, like rations? i.e. Can she weave an enchantment into cooking dinner and it applies to the food? What about poultices and elixirs made in camp?

My instinct was aimed at the latter. She will regularly make food, poultices, and elixirs, and I hoped for her to be able to use the instinct for the Enchantment checks with it. If the only thing she can do with Enchanting in a camp is recharge her wand (and that requires an Ob 3 test with an Enchanter 2 skill), then she's pretty hosed. In that case, I'll have to change the Instinct, and also consider a different spell to find one that doesn't generate an opposed roll because I fear that her entire Enchanting skillset will be useless for any foreseeable term of play.

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#71 Post by Faolan7 »

So... You're helping Coil? Thank you if you are.

Making elixirs is confusing, so I can't help you on that, but the rest of your math looks right.

As for enchanting consumables, I will allow it even if it shouldn't be. Imagining enchanted food is kinda weird though. "You eat the piece of cheese you found on the table, then you suddenly find yourself shrink! You are now the size of a mouse!"

...That's a good idea actually.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#72 Post by Enoch »

I'll help where I can.

Re: elixirs and salves, as I understand it, you can remove afraid (Ob1), angry (Ob2), or exhausted (Ob3), but the effect only lasts for one test (Duration (one test free)). If you need to make a Beginner's Luck test but are afraid, you could chug that elixir and have the effect of afraid removed for that test. If you want to actually recover from those conditions, though, that counts as an additional factor (Ob2 for afraid, Ob3 for angry, and ob4 for exhausted).

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#73 Post by coil23 »

Considering the skills present (oration in spades!) and those not present, may I suggest we limit our adventuring to libraries and lecture halls? :lol:

Not sure if you need or want to hear all this or just want me to throw it on my sheet but here goes…

I see no point in needlessly muddying the waters with characters that have too similar names. With that in mind, my character will be Peitharian (the Punctilious); named after Peitharchia, the Greek spirit of obedience.

Listening to the wisdom of longer-lived races and listening to one’s elders is very much a part of my character. I would plunge into hordes of threatening monsters but not for treasure, but rather because I am protecting others and have right on my side. And because they are rude for frightening others and need to be firmly and irrevocably corrected of bad habits and poor manners. Therefore my nature will stay at 3.

NPC enemy: Eegolan Borgia is a slippery bishop and controversial rising star in the church. He seems to ascend the ranks with unnatural speed and some say nefarious methods but no one has of yet been able to pin anything on him. Petharian sees the unscrupulous charlatan for what he is and while he knows some damning specifics, he has nothing incontrovertible to present to higher authorities. Petharian sees Eegolan as representing the sickness in the church that needs to be purged. If we allow such low moral character and despicable tactics in the holy church then we are no better than a godsdamned merchant’s guild! Eegolan, in turn, sees Petharian for what he is: a sharp-eyed true-belever who is almost as ruthless in fighting for the right as Eegolan is for himself. Petharian must be eliminated to safeguard the slippery bishop’s ascent in the ranks.

raiment: plain, drab brown robe with a rope belt (a few coils around the middle to make it useful as well); Petharian describes to initiates that canvas sackcloth is the faithful’s silk; mace and shield are carried…some say the man carries two shields- one of metal and wood and the other of unalloyed self-righteousness

belief: The church is slipping into complacence and self-serving hollow gestures. Eegolan Borgia is merely the most smug and shameless about it but he is gaining more and more company along that path. Petharian feels an almost desperate need to make up for this moral lack by proving himself through the right deeds and right intentions to try and balance the scales and preserve (or regain?) the church he loves in his heart. While his heart is still true, his methods become a little harsher over time as he feels the slope becoming steeper and more lonely as time goes on.

instinct: Make poultices when we camp. (I think this fits well and shows foresight Petharian would find important.)

I am going to throw everything onto my sheet and post on that thread. Please let me know if any corrections need to be made. Petharian will then judge and make the changes if your heart is not found wanting.

Too much?

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#74 Post by Faolan7 »

That looks good Coil! I love the detail on your character. I'll reupdate the list of what we still need later today.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Marullus »

Coil,

You're awesome! :D

I think we need to workshop the Beliefs and Instincts a bit -- yours and mine both, I'm hoping Enoch can lend some expertise. They need to be specifically actionable because of how they interact with the game system.

First, basic rules stuff:
  • The "experience points" in this game are called Fate (small awards) and Persona (bigger awards). Fate and Persona are spent to help rolls and achieve heroic success. When you spend enough each of Fate and Persona through play, you gain a level (three points of each need to be earned and spent to get second level).
  • Skills don't go up through experience points, they go up through use. You need to record both successes and failures in order to get better. (Successes equal to score, failures equal to score-1. So to improve your Fighter 2, you need to succeed twice and fail once. To improve Healer 3 or Theologian 3, you need to succeed three times and fail twice.)
  • We will all define a concrete goal when the game actually begins, which is potentially achievable in that game session. If you can show that you worked towards it but didn't succeed you get 1 Fate point. If you accomplished it in the session, you get 1 Persona point.
  • Your instinct is important for two reasons: they let you work to improve your skills and they potentially earn you a Fate point. First, you need to work your skills to improve them and all tests cost the group. Each test either takes up a turn makes time pass (making us all closer to being hungry, angry, and exhausted) or it requires we spend a check in camp, which are a limited commodity. Instincts are the exception. Every time an instinct triggers, you get a free test or action. So, this lets you work an important skill by testing towards advancement. Second, if your instinct triggers and the outcome is beneficial to the group, then you earn 1 Fate point for the session.
  • Your belief should also be both concrete and tangible, but also something you struggle with. If you take action in support of your belief, you earn 1 Fate point for the session. If you instead roleplay out your struggle and decide to take an action that is counter to your belief, you can instead earn 1 Persona point for the session.
So, your "Make poultices each time we camp" is a basic instinct that meets both important criteria. It lets you consistently do tests to improve your Healer skill and, if you succeed in making a poultice and someone uses it, then you've benefited the party and also get the Fate point. It is simple and acceptable.

But, is it what you want most? Is there another skill you wish to focus your tests on besides Healer? You've fleshed out an interesting background now and it is worth considering options. From his concept/background, he could instead:
  • Always study his religious tomes when he camps. This shows focus on his religious devotion and would allow you to increase Theologian, which he will have little other reason to practice but which can provide powerful secrets about spirits and demons when needed. This would be more difficult to "use for others," to get a Fate award but his focus on others might be part of being a Loner.
  • Always record the history and legacy of their adventures when he camps. This shows his focus as a chronicler and allows him to increase Scholar, which he can use as it improves to know or establish facts about the gameworld, towns, and people. This would be also more difficult to "use for others."
  • Never trust the judgment of others. An extension of his Lonerness, this is potentially more useful than it looks (it is similar to one of the book examples). If someone else takes charge and leads us into trouble, you get a free roll to avert it, which also is (conveniently) to the benefit of the group for the Fate point.
The church is slipping into complacence and self-serving hollow gestures. Eegolan Borgia is merely the most smug and shameless about it but he is gaining more and more company along that path. Petharian feels an almost desperate need to make up for this moral lack by proving himself through the right deeds and right intentions to try and balance the scales and preserve (or regain?) the church he loves in his heart. While his heart is still true, his methods become a little harsher over time as he feels the slope becoming steeper and more lonely as time goes on.
That is excellent! We should try to distill down a piece of it for actionable purposes - one sentence that you can act on or struggle with.

Character Relations
Are you okay with Peitharian (can we nickname him Peith? :) ) being assigned to be the Guardian of a young girl (Isabelle) by the church? I do want to make sure you're okay with our characters being tied - if you're not, then it is okay for me to move her to Rusty's Paladin (now recently un-deceased). However, if you are okay with it, I think it could be a good dynamic. You're a stickler who refuses to "play the game" so it makes sense they'd saddle you with her as a burden. Your stalwart resolve to be committed to his church true faith and lack of concern for what anyone things about it is a great literary foil for the young girl who sees being liked as a critical life skill and tends to your gaps. If they did assign her, what is his reaction to it? How did he react to her and how has he grown in it over the last five years? What is the focus of your teaching to her?

I want to tool Isabelle's beliefs based on what your teachings to her are, and it will likely impact her goal as well.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Just a quick note to let you know I am still here. A few new games were added to the site and I missed that you all had moved ahead.

I'll catch up and post something tonight or tomorrow.

His raiment will be a burnt tabard with the damaged insignia of his order on it.
Gear he'll have for sure: 2-handed sword, platemail, satchel, map making supplies, some carrion, maybe for and pitons.

Marullus: I think it's fine for your character to not be a fighter. Someone needs to be the torchbearer, which I recall playing out well in the conflict narratives.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#77 Post by coil23 »

The focus on healing made sense to me but it was also partially trying to be practical. The studying religious tome when encamped makes sense for Peitharian also for how he is/what his focus is. Will theologian as a skill come up much (or at all)? I can go with either as an instinct. If both seem like they will be useful then perhaps the tome instinct might be truer to character (though less the dutiful cleric team player).

If I had to distill my paragraph down to one actionable sentence it could be: Peitharian strives to do what is right for the greater good, whether or not this conflicts with the morality of his community. (need to be more concrete?)

I agree that the little witch being assigned to Peitharian makes the most sense. *heavy sigh* :roll:
He truly did not want this assignment at the beginning and still often makes a show of how exasperating, thankless, and fruitless it is. Secretly (not always covering as well as he might think he is) he has begrudgingly grown fond of the girl. What he will not admit to even himself is that her reliance on him and her (if this part holds true) devotion for him means more than he can say because in many ways it is the closest thing he has to having a friend. He is fiercely devoted to her though spares her very little of his natural sternness because he wants to teach her what is right. He will not give up on his church but he is realistic enough to know that is an unlikely success. But teaching this impressionable girl how to be a good person while still having clear eyes to see the world as it truly is as well as the wits to survive in it- that is a more attainable goal and one he deems worthy of his energies. A truly good person is what makes a church.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#78 Post by Enoch »

coil23 wrote:The focus on healing made sense to me but it was also partially trying to be practical. The studying religious tome when encamped makes sense for Peitharian also for how he is/what his focus is. Will theologian as a skill come up much (or at all)? I can go with either as an instinct. If both seem like they will be useful then perhaps the tome instinct might be truer to character (though less the dutiful cleric team player).
Theologian doesn't have the automatic utility that some of the other skills have, true. A lot of it comes down to dungeon design: a good dungeon will have things to test multiple skills. But Theologian can add a lot of flavor, and more importantly, act as a guide to the GM as to what's important to the players and the characters.

For example, an Instinct like "Examine any carvings or relics for religious significance" acts as a signpost to the GM that you want to see carvings and relics make an appearance, and you want them to have religious significance. A different Instinct gives different cues to the GM. Studying religious tomes in camp would allow you a free Theologian test, but you'll fare better if you give the GM some specific ideas of what you want to accomplish by studying them. Are you looking for clues as to what might await you in the dungeon or wilderness or wherever we are? Remember that the purpose of an Instinct is generally to give you a free test--what do you want to try to accomplish?
coil23 wrote:If I had to distill my paragraph down to one actionable sentence it could be: Peitharian strives to do what is right for the greater good, whether or not this conflicts with the morality of his community. (need to be more concrete?)
I'd agree that needs to be more concrete. That sounds like a Belief, but if I were GMing I'd be confused as to what it means and how to challenge it. You see yourself as the moral compass (or that's how I read it), and that's great fodder for a Belief. But the community's morals aren't likely to come into play much. The rest of the party's will, though; and you have a half-vampire who's been sheltered from the world, a young girl struggling to understand her powers and her role in the world, and a holy knight that's been brought back from death to wreak holy vengeance. What about something simpler--more along the lines of "I will do what is good and right"? That gives the GM some clear ways to challenge it--all he has to do is give you a situation where you can make a choice between what is easy/effective and what is right. Do you save the villagers, even though it means you'll have to give them some of your provisions you may need, or may slow you down when horrible monsters are pursuing you, or do you press on and leave them to their fate?

OFF-TOPIC WARNING ABOUT PVP: I mentioned that most of the party may differ from you morally, which gives you some awesome areas for RP. However, I would warn you (and everyone else) that Torchbearer is very harsh when it comes to PVP. The game is all about resource management, and the biggest one of these is time and Conditions. (If you're not familiar with Torchbearer, they're basically one in the same--every four tests, you get a Condition. Get too many and you die. This is called The Grind.) Argue as much as you want, but if you let it come to the point where someone makes a test, that advances The Grind, just like if you were trying to escape a deathtrap or fight a goblin.

A Belief can earn you Artha (a currency used both to spend to make success more likely on rolls as well as to advance your character) in two ways: by acting on your Belief (with the example Belief I gave, every time you did "the right thing" even if it might cost you), or by playing against it in a dramatic, roleplayed fashion--if you played out your angst over having to leave those villagers to the wolves in order to save yourself, for example. It's worth noting that this is actually worth a bit more than playing to your Belief, but you need both kinds of rewards to advance.
coil23 wrote:He truly did not want this assignment at the beginning and still often makes a show of how exasperating, thankless, and fruitless it is. Secretly (not always covering as well as he might think he is) he has begrudgingly grown fond of the girl. What he will not admit to even himself is that her reliance on him and her (if this part holds true) devotion for him means more than he can say because in many ways it is the closest thing he has to having a friend. He is fiercely devoted to her though spares her very little of his natural sternness because he wants to teach her what is right. He will not give up on his church but he is realistic enough to know that is an unlikely success. But teaching this impressionable girl how to be a good person while still having clear eyes to see the world as it truly is as well as the wits to survive in it- that is a more attainable goal and one he deems worthy of his energies. A truly good person is what makes a church.
I like how the relationships between our characters is evolving.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#79 Post by Enoch »

Magda - Belief and Instinct

On a related note, I need to write a Belief and Instinct for my character yet.

I always find it easier to write Instincts for "supporting" characters--certain skills lend themselves to Instincts, and they tend to be more supporting skills. Cook, Healer, Alchemist, etc. always have application. Combat-oriented characters I find it harder to create Instincts for. I could use Theologian, but Coil, I think, will have that covered, and frankly he will probably be both better at it and more appropriate.

My best bets are probably going to be Hunter, Lore Master, Scholar and Scout. Lore Master is only at 2; an Instinct there is likely to help me advance it to a higher level but not to generate Artha (as you need to be successful with an Instinct to get Artha for it). Scholar basically requires research, which I can do in the Town phase, but will have a hard time in either Adventure or Camp phase.

That leaves me two options: Scout and Hunter.

Scout could be useful if I wrote an Instinct like "always scout ahead". That would give me a free test to detect monsters before they detect me, etc. That could be really useful, and fits well with my concept of a sneaky combatant.

Hunter is a somewhat unusual choice, but it has some applicability to Instincts. In the section on "Ability & Skill Factors", it shows that Hunter can be used to make traps, which could be useful to guard a camp. it can also be used to discern the Nature of creatures. A successful Hunter vs. Nature test will give me descriptors, weapons, and Order of Might, which could be useful in determining how to engage with a creature. It changes the direction of the character somewhat--he shifts a bit from "stealthy assassin" to "hunter who studies his prey".

Now I want two Instincts. :lol:

I think I'll hold off on Beliefs until after I've decided on an Instinct, as it will probably be related.

Any thoughts?

Magda - Social Grace

As previously noted, Orator seems to be well-covered. Haggler, Manipulator, Persuader. I think I'll go with Manipulator if nobody has a compelling argument for something different--she chafes under the Church's strict codes, and her nature as a hunter of dark things just doesn't fit well with the Church, so I imagine she has developed some skill at bending the truth.

Magda - Home Skill

I think I may not use Theologian as my home skill - Coil's character is going to be our religious scholar, and I'll be able to help with a lower rating anyway. Pros and cons of using Theologian:

Pros: It gives me a semi-credible way to examine things separate from Coil's cleric (or with him Helping); we both can advance it. Thematically it makes some sense for someone raised in isolation in the Church, with monks trying desperately to inculcate her with the Church's teachings in hopes of suppressing her Nature. Makes some sense in a "holy quest"-themed campaign.

Cons: we don't need two specialists in religious lore, and Torchbearer doesn't reward multiple people specializing in a skill quite the way Burning Wheel does. Prevents me from taking a rank (or opening) Scholar or Cartographer.

Do we have a Scholar? If not, that actually makes some sense. As action-oriented as she is, she's still been holed up in a community of religious scholars for most of her life. She's probably familiar with libraries.

Do we have a Cartographer? Cartography is important, and if nobody else has the skill I'll probably grab this.

Magda - Belief

I'm leaning toward "I am not a monster", because...well, she is. She's fighting it, and trying to reconcile her nature with the Church's teachings (which include such things as "you're a monster and should be destroyed"). This lets me earn Fate by trying to fight against being a monster, and Persona when I give in and act like a monster.

Magda - Wises

I have Vampire-wise as a set Belief (Humans generally get to set both wises themselves; most other stocks have one pre-set and the other chosen). I'm leaning toward Prey-wise as my second.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Marullus »

coil23 wrote:I agree that the little witch being assigned to Peitharian makes the most sense. *heavy sigh* :roll:
He truly did not want this assignment at the beginning and still often makes a show of how exasperating, thankless, and fruitless it is. Secretly (not always covering as well as he might think he is) he has begrudgingly grown fond of the girl. What he will not admit to even himself is that her reliance on him and her (if this part holds true) devotion for him means more than he can say because in many ways it is the closest thing he has to having a friend. He is fiercely devoted to her though spares her very little of his natural sternness because he wants to teach her what is right. He will not give up on his church but he is realistic enough to know that is an unlikely success. But teaching this impressionable girl how to be a good person while still having clear eyes to see the world as it truly is as well as the wits to survive in it- that is a more attainable goal and one he deems worthy of his energies. A truly good person is what makes a church.
I like it.

The Crusty old "grandpa" curmudgeon (he's assuredly not that old, but in her eyes he is) is a good interplay. I see that they've settled into a routine - he protects and teaches her, she takes care of their little household and handles their relations with the grocers, townsfolk, and others because she sees him as hapless in that regard. I mean, he'd live on bread and water if she wasn't there to make him sit down for good meals. Honestly, he'd be hopeless without her! In her mind, she is caring for him as much as the other way around. I see their being genuine affection. With her Unaligned nature making her value stability of home - food, shelter, and companionship - more than rules, she has deep ties to the man who has raised her the last five years.

Being both a teenager and also not Lawful, she naturally undercuts and challenges his attempts to instill Church Law on her. But her age is about experimentation. She honestly DOES want to be good and follow the Doctrine that he impresses upon her but can't help but find and question the gray areas.

I would like to work collaboratively on her beliefs. I see her taking a stern point of Peith's church doctrine and making it her guiding principal for each session, then struggling with it in the face of reality accordingly. For example, if the first one is "Undead are unclean and unholy and have no place on this earth," she adopts what should be a clear principle from the Church. She's immediately faced with teaming up with a Half-Vampire (is she undead or not? Does it apply? How do I tell?) and a Paladin friend who has been nothing but kind to her and loyal to the Faith but is now undisputedly undead (Do I need to hate him now? Does who he was before matter? Do undead still have feelings?). She needs to struggle through all these questions of faith with Peith's help as they go through the first session and come to some kind of resolution about this Church tenet. She then earns the Fate point or Persona point at the end of the session and I'll change it to a new Tenet for a belief in the next session. I intend to have her experiment her way through church doctrine as a questioning teenager session by session rather than having a fixed and firm principle like and adult set in their ways would.

Does that work for the others? I see this is a good way (mechanically and storywise) to add an appropriate amount of teenage drama to the story in a way that benefits the narrative rather than being a distraction. Her explicit exploration of church doctrine helps pull out and highlight the contradictions that the group will be dealing with regardless.

Return to “The Torchbearers of Kroyia (Torchbearer)”