4) Back to Saltmarsh; The doomed leading the blind.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 4) Back to Saltmarsh; The doomed leading the blind.

#101 Post by wolfpack »

Hmmmmm I do believe this armor to have magical protection. It would most likely fit and be best suited for either, Ben, kelif, or myself. kelif since you have the healing magic perhaps you should don it to help protect you.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by hedgeknight »

ravenn4544 wrote:"Hey Burly," Ben continues,"Tortuga seemed to think that the ship would have approached around the new moon - anyone remember what the moon was last night? Wonder how many days til then? No telling if that's exactly when they come, or if it's around then, but Tortuga is not scally-wag - he knows his business so to speak - and maybe we go off of that?"

"I like the ambush idea - we'd want to get them when they are the most vulnerable - it could be 10 or 20 men that come from the boat. Could be tougher then man too - remember those tough buggers we fought back in the cave?..."

"That reminds me, it occurs to me we never did anything about those bodies - we have some grim work ahead of us to make that cave look approachable! Neptune's ass - that's gonna be suck work fer sure..."
"Can't say about the new moon. Never was much of an astronomer. As for the number of men > I doubt there would be more than a handful to unload whatever stolen goods they have obtained. No more than 10 would be my guess. A good sleep spell would take out most of 'em. And yes, cleaning up the dead bodies is not going to be for the faint at heart. Not looking forward to it, truth be told."
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#103 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful

Thinking out loud, we could set a fire trap and light it once enough are within its grasp. Riskier, we could even relocate the green slime and disguise it to lay another trap. Hmmm...maybe even launch it in a bowl as a projectile. We'll need something severe to deal with so many at once.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by wolfpack »

If they unload on the shore by the cave perhaps we set up boulders or a land slide to drop on them from the cliff.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#105 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

At the suggestion that he don the platemail, Keilif responds, "I think the armor would be best worn by one of the warriors; however, I will accept it if no one else wishes to."

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by wolfpack »

While I would love to wear such magnificant armor better protection for the one able to call upon the gods healing powers may be more beneficial to the group. You should don it.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by ravenn4544 »

"Good idea of the traps to take them at our advantage. Another thought is to somehow let the boat in as we moored up, but have some type of rope or chain that prevents them from leaving? That's something to consider if we want the boat for ourselves..

As I think about it, maybe it's some type of restraint on the rudder - can we get a rope on that and hold it fast? Do we have something under the water that forces it to a starboard tack which means they are stuck in the cave!"

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant

#108 Post by Hotgoblin »

Jonas listens to the strategies being thrown around...You know, I barely remember this cave you're all referring to. But, I think the smarter action would be to monitor what happens with the signaling first before we start setting traps or ambush. We don't know what the code means or if a boat will even come to the cave.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#109 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ben and Burly wince while discussing the grisly task ahead of them once they reenter the caves. The many dead bodies that were left lying around where they fell will surely be getting nice and ripe by now. Especially with all of the creepy crawly critters that have an easy access directly into the cave opening. The pair realize that cleaning the mess up now will be a nasty job, possibly even deadly.

Jervis and Keilif debate about who is best suited to where the new armor, Mai stays out of the conversation even though she thinks the armor to be quite special.

The only other discussion about what to do next is a lengthy premature barrage of trap and ambush ideas for when the smugglers boat comes up into the cave. Doubtful of course suggests a blazing inferno trap to fry them or even worse, somehow using the slime against them. Jonas suggests that the group might be putting the cart before the horse as none of them actually have any idea if a boat is even going to come near the cave. The fishy half-elf suggests waiting to see how the ship responds to the signaling before bothering with any elaborate tricks or traps.

As the group chats comfortably, darkness settles over the druids humble farm as early evening turns into nighttime. Ben pokes his head outside to check the moon phase. He estimates that the moon is currently in a waning gibbous. This indicates to the seasoned sailor that there is almost a full 2 weeks of time before the next new moon. With that information it is simple to discern that the smugglers must have just gotten a shipment in shortly after the group arrived at the hideout. This idea is solidified when the group remembers that the land based smugglers were still in the processes of moving the goods further up into the caves when you first discovered them. The group may also remember that there was already one rowboat in the cave when they arrived. That boat was then subsequently destroyed.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by hedgeknight »

Burleson Blue Finger

"Sounds like we need to make sure we have plenty of supplies, enough for a couple of weeks at least, and then head back to the house and establish residence there. Clean it out...I prefer to burn the rotting bodies to avoid disease, burrowing worms, and such, and then search for some type of signaling apparatus or log book or something to tell us what/how to signal and when the next shipment might arrive.
"While some of us are doing that, the rest could figure out the best way to take out a smuggler party once they row up into the cave. What say the rest of you?"
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#111 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

Seeing that no one wishes to claim the armor, Keilif smiles and graciously accepts. He tries the mail on to see how it fits and to see if he notices anything peculiar. "I shall wear this to help defend the group and to spread the blessed word of Shiliel."

"I suggest we enjoy a safe and peaceful night's rest here, and then head out at first light...It may be our last for quite some time. " He removes the armour, prays and prepares to heed his own advice.
Last edited by Mant72 on Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Urson »

Mai keeps quiet, having nothing to contribute until she gets a better look at the house and grounds.

The warrior lends a hand with preparing the evening meal, and afterward begins retelling a legend from The Dragon Empire- a tale of a Scholar, a Pig, and the Monkey King on a quest together Yes, it's _A Journey To The West,_ one of the best-known Japanese epic tales. Later, she will roll herself into her blanket and go to sleep, her sword within easy reach.
FA FO

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#113 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful busies himself with making sure everyone has food, drink, and a relatively comfortable place to bed down for the night. He will spend the night out near the barn, partly to give the others indoor spots and partly to have privacy to pray to Pelor, commune with the outdoors, and spend time with the animals. Shoo-Fly curls up to sleep next to him and the sleepy clucking of Mrs. Hensworth helps lull them to sleep.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by wolfpack »

Jervis cleans his shield and armor and oils and sharpens his sword and dagger, wondering how in the hell a pig and a monkey can go on a quest.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by ravenn4544 »

Ben is snoring as soon as the opportunity presents itself...

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by hedgeknight »

Burly goes shopping in town and then returns to his room for a good night's sleep.
He meets up with the group at dawn...wherever they decide to meet.
Winter is coming...

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#117 Post by Scott308 »

Umrick Histix, Gnome Napper

Umrick will sleep like the dead, as he's still pretty wiped out from rowing and trying to avoid dying.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Hotgoblin

#118 Post by Hotgoblin »

Jonas goes for a long awaited swim, diving deep into the cold darkness...he surfaces and remains floating in the water for another hour or so, then decides he is ready for some rest and heads into the house to find a spot to sleep.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#119 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The eclectic group shares in some food, drink, and light conversation before going their own ways or simply passing out on the floor of Dorn's farmhouse. Keilif dons the beautiful armor to find that it fits him perfectly. It feels as though it is somehow shaping itself around the differing contours of his body, molding to him for an absolutely precise fit. He looks even more dashing and powerful now with his fancy seahorse headed mace that matches the color of the armor ever so slightly. After admiring himself, but not too much, it is agreed upon that the party will reconvene in the morning for yet another return to the abandoned house.

Burly takes the time to return to the town for some late night shopping while the fishy Jonas instead takes a midnight swim, again relishing in the powerful magic marble found hidden in the house. The boy feels much better after frolicking below the surf. He finds no new bite marks after this little dip.

The morning breaks and the adventurers awaken to find that the weather has taken a turn for the worse. Dark clouds and a light mist are rolling in now off the great sea and the early fall temperatures are beginning to cool down even more. Another modest meal is provided by your host as Burly finds his way back to the farm nice and early with an armload of new supplies.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#120 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

Keilif says his morning prayers, dons his new armor and suggests, "Well, it seems we are all accounted for. Shall we make our final preparations and be off?"

Return to “U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (1e)”