[Completed] - Kennit/Bounties - May 20, 1 VC

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Kennit/Bounties - May 20, 1 VC

#61 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

And as he comes through the hatch, you could douse him with oil and then light him... Just sayin'. If he's on fire, is there a penalty to hit (and bonus to damage)?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Keehnelf »

No impact on his attack rolls, but he'd take ongoing damage while the flames last.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#63 Post by Spartakos »

I considered the oil thing (Rhodri has 2 flasks), but since it's in his pack and we don't currently have a torch or other fire source to quickly light him up, I don't think it's practical. We're going to have to trust to Lady Luck...who has never really looked fondly on Rhodri.

Rhodri says in a deadpan voice "You are one ugly sonofawhore", before ducking back to the tower-top and slamming the trapdoor. Drawing his sword, he moves to a position where he will be behind the huge bugbear when it comes up through the trapdoor, preparing to stab for the kidneys.

Initiative: [1d6] = 3
Attack with sword: [1d20] = 16, damage: [1d6] = 3

Kennit, I would super-appreciate it if you'd try to keep his attention. Rhodri's AC is only so-so, and 1 hit will kill me.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#64 Post by KingOfCowards »

I am convinced that Kennit is faster than Rhodri, so should be able to get a shot off before Rhodri closes the trapdoor.
In chaotic
"Up here you hairy pile of dung."
Attack with shortbow [1d20+5] = 3+5 = 8 Damage: [1d6] = 3
But I continue to roll terrible, so this is no surprise.
I'm afraid the odds say to reroll initiative on a 3, so....
Initiative: [1d6] = 2
damn

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Keehnelf »

Enemy Initiative [1d6] = 1

Rhodri issues a taunt and then leaps back up out of the stairway, slamming the trap door behind him. He hurriedly drops his bow to one side, and the low rasp of steel being bared echoes strangely loudly in the semi-enclosed watchtower. He and Kennit exchange a brief, tense look before the bugbear bursts up through the door, flailing madly. Kennit recoils almost involuntarily, trying to make sure he has the footing to aim true, but his last-second adjustment causes the arrow to strike Catstrangler's breastplate at a shallow angle and the shot is deflected. Meanwhile, from the rear, Rhodri lashes out with his blade, leaving a streak across the creature's rear right shoulder that immediately wells with blood and begins to muss Catstrangler's musky fur.

Catching sight of Kennit, Catstrangler is distracted from the blow. He bellows in Chaotic as he looms over the halfling, bringing the sword down over his head in a powerful two-handed blow that catches on a rafter and smashes the support beam in half, but slows the attack enough for Kennit to retreat out of the range of the blade. The ceiling gives an ominous creak but, but it holds.

In chaotic:
"Oh, this is precious! I got you once, and I can get you again--and this time, Viscarg isn't around to keep me from eating your entrails, little mouse. Har har har!"
Catstrangler [1d20+1] = 2+1 = 3, damage [1d10+1] = 9+1 = 10

Combatants:
Hob1: sleeping
Hob2: sleeping
Hob3: sleeping
Hob4: sleeping
Catstrangler: 14 HP

Actions and initiative!

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#66 Post by KingOfCowards »

Kennit draws his own blade, enjoying a good taunting match nearly as much as he does swordplay.
"A little large to be living in a dwarf's house aren't you Strangler? Perhaps they keep you out back like their pet dog."
Attack with goblin sword: [1d20+1] = 11+1 = 12 Damage: [1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5

Kennit still gets a nice bonus to AC versus size L creatures, so it buy us some time. Whether or not we get a hit in that time is another matter.
Go ahead and roll some initiative Spartakos, I'll follow up if its a 3 or less

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#67 Post by Spartakos »

Never being one to get hung up on niceties like 'fair play', Rhodri keeps behind Catstrangler and strikes again.

Attack with sword: [1d20] = 14, damage: [1d6] = 3

EDIT:
Probably wanna reroll that. :)

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#68 Post by KingOfCowards »

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Keehnelf »

Enemy Initiative [1d6] = 1

Catstrangler looks none too pleased to be taunted by someone he's already killed, and a thin strand of spittle flies from his mouth as he responds: "Dog? You just shut your mouth, worm, and die like you should!"

While he pauses, Kennit darts forward to make his attack, but the bugbear, his reflexes as quick and far stronger, parries the blow with the side of his blade. At the same time, Rhodri, unregarded, is able to step forward and drive his blade into the creature's side, once again drawing blood, and this time a howl of agony as well. "I'll kill you both!" He cries, bringing his sword around in a wide curve to one side and then sweeping it low to catch Kennit off guard. The blade smashes into his armor, shattering several of the splints and cracking a couple of the halflings ribs in the process.

Kennit is driven back toward the low wall ringing the tower, and Catstrangler presses forward to keep his advantage and prevent the halfling from slipping away from him. (Kennit takes 5 damage)

Catstrangler [1d20+1] = 19+1 = 20, [1d10+1] = 4+1 = 5 damage

Combatants:
Hobs1-4: sleeping
Catstrangler: 11 HP

Actions and initiative!

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#70 Post by Spartakos »

Damn, Catstrangler seems to love the 19's...that's the 3rd one he's rolled lately. :)

Rhodri winces slightly when Catstrangler lands a crushing blow on Kennit, but has no time to waste fearing for his halfling accomplice's life, when both of theirs hang in the balance. He swings low, trying to hamstring their hulking foe.

Initiative: [1d6] = 5
Attack with sword: [1d20] = 15, damage: [1d6] = 4

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Keehnelf »

Yeah, I'm amazed by how his dice rolling makes him a much more formidable opponent than, say, the orc Gruok, who was pretty much identical except d8 damage and slightly tougher to hit.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#72 Post by KingOfCowards »

Kennit grits his teeth, wheezing, from the blow he was dealt.
His words having failed him, he lets out a guttural cry as he lunges at the massive foe.
Attack with Goblin Sword: [1d20+1] = 17+1 = 18 Damage: [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Keehnelf »

Enemy Initiative [1d6] = 3

Both Rhodri and Kennit push in, hemming Catstrangler is and cutting off his avenue of retreat down the stairs even as he has moved to prevent his halfling adversary from a possible escape attempt. First Kennit's blade, and then his companion's, flash in the reflected moonlight and draw more blood. Catstrangler is howling, now, and only the surety of enchantment gives the demi-humans the assurance that his noises will not wake the sleeping hobgoblins below. The bugbear, distracted by his pain, lashes out wildly, striking another support for the roof and damaging it badly, though it does not collapse under the blade stroke. Catstrangler ceases his howl and, panting, turns side-to, so he can more properly face both of his foes.

Catstrangler [1d20+1] = 3+1 = 4, damage [1d10+1] = 4+1 = 5

Combatants:
Hobs1-4: sleeping
Catstrangler: 5 HP

Actions and initiative!

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#74 Post by Spartakos »

Rhodri grips his sword with sweaty palms, dancing lightly on the balls of his feet. He feints a few times, darting shallow stabs at the taller humanoid.

"Last chance, big man...yield or die. Toss your sword over the edge, and we'll spare your life." His voice is quiet and cold, but filled with as much sincerity as he can muster.

Damn, tensest fight Rhodri's been involved in!
Attack with sword: [1d20] = 9, damage: [1d6] = 5
Blergh. C'mon, Kennit, do better than me...

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#75 Post by KingOfCowards »

Attack with Goblin Sword: [1d20+1] = 16+1 = 17 Damage: [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2
Initiative: [1d6] = 1

Sorry. Posting from phone. Didn't want to leave the action stalled

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Keehnelf »

Enemy Initiative [1d6] = 3

Catstrangler whirls quickly to his left, hoping to catch Rhodri unaware, and the blade comes in just under the elf's guard, driving its heavy point upward into his stomach before the bugbear's powerful arms jerk the blade free and leaving a huge wound in the elf's abdomen. A horrible stench spreads over the area and sickens both combatants, as well as the elf himself, who clutches at his bowels indisbelief, sword falling from his hand, before he collapses lifeless to the floor. (8 damage taken)

Catstrangler [1d20+1] = 10+1 = 11, damage [1d10+1] = 7+1 = 8

Kennit, taking advantage of the monster leaving his flank exposed, darts forward once more and drives the point of his sword up under the bugbear's armor. It staggers with the attack, but heartened by its second kill, still stands and sucks in a shallow breath before turning back to the halfling. "Now," he mutters, "to our unfinished business."

Combatants:

Hobs: sleeping
Catstrangler: 3 HP

Action and initiative!

If Rhodri is not stabilized this round, he must make a saving throw to avoid death.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#77 Post by Spartakos »

Kennit, under no circumstances are you to try and save me.

Sagging to the floor of the tower, Rhodri feels blackness seeping into the edges of his vision even as he feels his life seeping from him.
"This...this is...just what I always...knew would happen."
His lips curl into a cynical smile for the last time.

Save vs. Death (12): [1d20] = 5
Alas, poor Rhodri. He lasted a lot longer than I thought he would. Came so close!

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#78 Post by KingOfCowards »

You didn't want to throw me one last initiative before dying, Rhodri? Nah j/k...I'll miss you buddy.

Kennit, stunned by the loss of his long time friend, wastes just a moment before thrusting his sword towards Catstranger-Elf Killer-Nightmare Monster
Attack with goblin sword: [1d20+1] = 19+1 = 20 Damage: [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4
Initiative: [1d6] = 1
Last edited by KingOfCowards on Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Aaagh! I'm just back from the weekend and catchign up. What a cliffhanger! I'm rooting for Catstrangler to roll a 1 initiative so Kennit can finish the beast. Then stabilize Rhodri. Then kill the hobgoblins. And then watch two elves recover. Come on crappy dice rolls! :?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Keehnelf »

Enemy Initiative [1d6] = 2

Kennit, without any allies to look out for, is fast: far faster than any overgrown lapdog, faster certainly than the brute who just laid low his closest ally, his friend. Darting in under the monster's reach, he thrusts up with the looted goblin sword, driving the point home with all the force his small form can muster--hip, shoulder, and spirit all acting as a unified whole to find Catstrangler's cold, black heart and let its villainous life-blood free.

The bugbear is driven backward by the force of the blow and, stunned, the heavy greatsword clatters to the stone floor loudly, the metal ringing forth in the darkness. Catstrangler's breathing is labored, and his arms move reflexively to close around the halfling, squeezing him with the force of the monster's last breath, the creature curling in on himself to reach down with his maw of needle-teeth, champing madly, blood-flecked and drooling. With that last breath he utters two words: "Eat...you..." before his spark goes out and he reels forward, his blood-drenched, animal-musk bulk landing heavily on his victorious foe with a shuddering sigh. Kennit twists the sword one more time, just to be sure, before he squeezes out from under the corpse to assess the situation:

Four sleeping hobgoblins and the fallen Perthrin below, Rhodri above. A quick check reveals that his friend's wounds are beyond his ability to soothe. He is breathing, but only shallowly, and will be gone entirely within moments.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”