Book Three: Out of Time

Grognardsw
DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Book Three: Out of Time

#441 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Clarke (Edith)

Edith rises out of the bed as quickly as her bruised body will allow her. She searches around for her clothes and dons them. When fully clothed she pokes her head out her hospital room door to see if she can make a clean getaway.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#442 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Grognardsw wrote:“I think this concussion has done more damage than I realize,” answers Dr. Clarke. “My mind is hazy. I’m having trouble remembering such basics.”

He rubs his temples with both hands.

“I think I need get some sleep. Let’s continue this conversation tomorrow, and pray my mind is clearer.”
Reginald Wilkins, bookdealer
Reginald displays as much shock on his face as he can.

David, are you mad?! You know that sleep is how the cult has been destroying those that oppose it! Thank goodness we got to you before you fell asleep! Let us get some coffee.
I need you to tell me all that you have learned in your research.

Reginald leads David to the cafeteria, taking him by the hand if necessary. Reginald makes sure that Marius, whom he knows to be armed, joins them.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#443 Post by DadsAngry »

Marius:

"Don't worry Doc. We'll get some coffee into you and you'll feel so much better." Marius assists Dr. Clarke out of his bed and walking if needed.
"Here have a cigarette. Doctor's orders." Marius places a cigarette in David's mouth and lights a match to ignite the tip.
"A nice walk to the cafeteria will do you a world of good. Before you know it you'll be your old self again."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#444 Post by Grognardsw »

“Whoa there missy,” says a police officer stationed outside Edith’s door. “You don’t look in any condition to be walking about. And there’s a little matter of you shooting a man.”

——————-

Inside Dr. Clarke’s Room

“By sleep?”

“Well I really don’t -“

Dr. Clarke looks concerned as he is swept up by Reginald and Marius.

“This isn’t wise-“

In the hallway Dr. Clark sways unsteadily on his feet. Marius helps him along. After 15 feet, Dr. Clark collapses.

A nurse looks up. “What is going on? He should be back in his room!”

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#445 Post by Mant72 »

Dr. Francis Morgan:

Seeing David collapse, Frank calls out to the nurse, ”Help! My friend has fallen!”

He reaches down to help get David upright. ”This was foolish. David needs rest. We shouldn’t be pushing him too hard.”

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#446 Post by DadsAngry »

Marius:

"This ain't working Reg. His legs are all wobbly. What should we do?"

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#447 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Clarke (Edith)

Rendered speechless by the appearance of the guard David in Edith's body recalls the prior events. For a few stunned moments, Edith just stares with her mouth open at the officer.
Coming to terms with the events that occurred David final blurts out. "I'm I o.k.? I'm mean my body... David's body, David, the man shot. Is he o.k.?"

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#448 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Reginald Wilkins, bookdealer
To the nurse, Reginald says, He insisted on leaving.
He was fine just a minute ago. Please, return him to his bed. He will need to be sedated or he will just try to walk out again when he comes to.

If needed: Persuade (41) [1d100] = 91 Crap. Hope the nurse was going to sedate David/Edith anyways.....

To Frank, Marius, and Baba, after David is returned to the room, he says, We must keep an eye on him. David is not himself. We must also have a call sign for each other, in case one of us begins behaving erratically. The call sign is Beehive. The response will be Lavender. Do you all understand?

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#449 Post by DadsAngry »

Marius:

Puzzled by Reginald's suggestion. "What do you mean not himself? Who do you think him to be? I thought we didn't want him to sleep. You know the cults and all."

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#450 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Reginald Wilkins, paranoid bookdealer
Reginald sighs involuntarily. This is it. Surely they will think me mad. But I have no choice, he thinks.

In response to Marius' inquiry, he says, I mean literally not himself. In this case, Edith Watson, although Edith almost certainly is Aseneth Waite, and God knows who else before her.
Let me explain.

The books we found in Carcosa's apartment. They contain ... instructions, I guess you'd say. I tried one of them myself.
It lets me find .... gates. But there is another incantation. I think I it would allow a person to switch minds with another.

The cult that we are chasing has members that can do this. It happened at Chertovski's, when the BOI agent raped Ms. Waite.
When I heard that David was accused of her murder, and that Edith was the one who discovered the foul deed, I had my suspicions. That's why I told you never to discuss our investigation with her.

That is also why I used that ruse with you, Baba. The real David knows you, and knows you are not a physician. When he let you examine him, that confirmed my suspicion. David is no longer David. He is Aseneth Waite. David's mind must still be trapped in Edith's body.

But we must not let on that we know! Or else Aseneth will take over one of us. Remember the call signs!

Reginald looks at his companions, hoping he doesn't really sound as crazy as he thinks he does.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#451 Post by DadsAngry »

Marius:

Marius doesn't say a word. He just nods his head in recognition to what Reginald has said. He then stares at Dr. Clarke looking into his eyes for signs of another being in his body.
He then whispers to Reginald "If Aseneth is in there and David is in Edith, where is Edith?"

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#452 Post by Mant72 »

Dr. Francis Morgan:

Frank’s mind reels at Reginald’s assertions, ”My god, Reginald...I think you may be correct. Do you recall the strange occurrences at the hotel, where the clerk claimed I had already checked on the valise? The same thing occurred at the Pratt Library in Brooklyn...And you, Marius, do you remember seeing my “shadow-self” at Chertovski’s? The doppelgängers...cultists...”

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#453 Post by SocraticLawyer »

DadsAngry wrote:Marius:

Marius doesn't say a word. He just nods his head in recognition to what Reginald has said. He then stares at Dr. Clarke looking into his eyes for signs of another being in his body.
He then whispers to Reginald "If Aseneth is in there and David is in Edith, where is Edith?"
Edith is dead. Aseneth switched consciousness with her, then killed her, framing David for the murder.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#454 Post by DadsAngry »

Marius:

Marius stand stunned at the revelation. "Dear God."

Sanity Check?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#455 Post by Grognardsw »

“He’ll live,” answers the police officer to Edith. “Now you just settle back into your room. Now that you’re awake and if you feel up to it, I’d like to ask you some questions about what happened.”

Dr. Clarke is brought back to his room. He is awake but apparently frazzled. “I need to rest. Watch her - she will try to kill me. Has she been arrested?! I want to press charges. Don’t let her go. Bring me milk! Why are you locking the door?”

He is not sedated, but the attending doctor locks the door.

As Reginald shares his shocking revelations, Marius struggles to accept and comprehend (San. check or 1d3). This doesn’t fit the world view that the good nuns taught him as a boy.

The investigators know that Edith, within whom David’s consciousness is allegedly trapped, is in a room on another floor.

It has been a long day of strangeness, from the admissions of Claire Ford and her appeal to help the investigators; to the relief that Dr. Clark’s murder charge against Asenaith Waite was dropped; to the startling developments of this evening. The image of Dr. Clarke raping the unconscious Edith Walton is burned into the investigators memory. Now Reginald’s explanation of a mind-switching Asenaith Waite, and Dr. Morgan’s intimations of dopplegangers, shakes the Investigators.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#456 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Clarke (Edith):
Grognardsw wrote:“He’ll live,” answers the police officer to Edith.
David is relieved that he didn't kill himself.
Grognardsw wrote:“Now you just settle back into your room. Now that you’re awake and if you feel up to it, I’d like to ask you some questions about what happened.”
"Oh! Yes, you're right. I shouldn't have gotten up. I feel woozy. I really should lie down and get some rest. Maybe we can talk another time."
David starts to unbutton the top of Edith's blouse. "Do you mind. I'd like to change back into my hospital attire."

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#457 Post by DadsAngry »

Marius:

Marius: Sanity Check 81% [1d100] = 52

Marius is saddened by the revelation but composed. "Poor girl. Poor Doc."

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#458 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Reginald Wilkins, paranoid bookdealer
I'll stay here and make sure David doesn't leave. You check on Edith. Remember to ask me the call sign when we see each other again.

If the group agrees, Reginald waits outside Dr. Clarke's room, while the others check on "Edith."

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#459 Post by DadsAngry »

Marius:

"Come on doc lets see if Edith, I mean doc, I mean... I don't know anymore. Let's see if it's awake yet."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#460 Post by Grognardsw »

As Edith begins to unbutton her top button, the police officer looks away.

"Oh right, okay then. You get some sleep. I'll be outside if you need anything."

Reginald stays outside Dr. Clarke's room as the investigators ask directions to Edith Walton's room, which is two floors above.

As the men take the stairs, Dr. Balandabar looks apprehensive. "Reginald gave me some books to help translate. But this investigation is very disturbing and frankly, this talk of mind transference... it seems unbelievable..."

Return to “That Which Should Not Be (Call of Cthulhu)”