Action Thread 12

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Action Thread 12

#81 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard looks at Jeloon and nods in agreement.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Argennian »

Yosef considers Till’s report carefully. While sipping his tea and rubbing his full belly, he also nods his agreement and looks to the north.

"It is settled then. We move on the city tomorrow. Not much else here to learn, as it seems...

"I do admit curiosity in just whom the residents are and what their temperament might be. I would certainly propose we conduct another reconnoiter once we get closer, for caution’s sake. I would not want us to be set upon by a city of ill intent for merely approaching unawares. Regardless, I will plan on having another charm spell ready, just in case we need a local friend!"
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#83 Post by dmw71 »

Argennian wrote:"I do admit curiosity in just whom the residents are and what their temperament might be. I would certainly propose we conduct another reconnoiter once we get closer, for caution’s sake. I would not want us to be set upon by a city of ill intent for merely approaching unawares."
Jeloon secretly admires Yosef and his cautious nature as it is such a departure from the more instinctive impatience she and Till seem to possess.

She takes the rest of the day to pack all but her essential possessions, instructing Eyman and Van Deim to do the same. "Let's be ready to move at first light." she says.

ooc: I think Eyman and Van Deim were Jeloon's two hirelings. If I got that confused, just let me know.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#84 Post by Alethan »

Nope, you're dead on. To clarify something, though, they are mercs, not porters or linkboys or anything. They were hired to fight. Ancor and Rosin are the non-combatant hirelings (though even they have seen a little bit of action), Ancor being Till's linkboy and Rosin being the porter.

Migellito has always been of the school of thought of having "meatshields" in front of the players, in order to make the characters live longer. He said that's how he grew up playing. I come from a totally different school of thought - I've never hired anything more than a torch bearer and/or a porter, so I can worry about fighting and adventuring and not worry about carrying a torch and carrying crap.

He's not as extreme as others, though. Some of the PbP forums I read, I see a party of 4 with 2-4 hirelings EACH. So they're trying to push 12-16 people through a dungeon. Try figuring THAT out logistically. Plus, it doesn't sound like any kind of fun to me. Why would Till send in a hireling to do something when he can do it just fine by himself?

I can't remember what Jeloon was paying for their services. I think Migellito had another thread in the Character folder where he kept track of expenses. That information might be there.

Oh, and I'm not sure how he is at this point (might need a DM update here), but I know Eyman was hurt pretty badly a few days (In Game) ago. He got tore up by some ghouls. Bruard patched him up, but Ron said he wasn't 100% just yet after such severe injuries. Plus, he had his face chewed on, so I think he'll have some scars to bring back home with all his lootz.

I believe your hirelings are both carrying magical weapons at this point. Van Diem has a +1 Spear (+3 vs. Undead) and Eyman has a +1 battle axe. So... if we let them keep those weapons, then I figure you should have hirelings for probably another 10 modules without having to pay them anything more than enough for food and living expenses. Probably should have hirelings for life, honestly...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#85 Post by ToniXX »

Argennian wrote:"I do admit curiosity in just whom the residents are and what their temperament might be. I would certainly propose we conduct another reconnoiter once we get closer, for caution’s sake. I would not want us to be set upon by a city of ill intent for merely approaching unawares. Regardless, I will plan on having another charm spell ready, just in case we need a local friend!"
Bruard settles back after his meal and packs his small pipe. He finds a twig and puts the end into the fire, then uses that to light the tobacco. He leans back, takes a couple drags, then speaks. Another scouting would be very wise indeed. Till has been quite successful with such tasks thus far. Hopefully the residents of this settlement are open to outsiders. Refresh my memory, friends: what is it we're expecting to find there? Regarding spells, I will need sometime on the morrow to pray to Shinare, and I hope to be rejuvenated by her spirit. Let me know if you feel that I should request a certain spell in preparation for the next leg of our journey.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#86 Post by dmw71 »

ToniXX wrote:Let me know if you feel that I should request a certain spell in preparation for the next leg of our journey.[/dialog]
"Healing always good." Jeloon offers more matter-of-factly, but you suspect it may have been at attempt at humor.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Argennian »

ToniXX wrote:Bruard settles back after his meal and packs his small pipe. He finds a twig and puts the end into the fire, then uses that to light the tobacco. He leans back, takes a couple drags, then speaks. Another scouting would be very wise indeed. Till has been quite successful with such tasks thus far. Hopefully the residents of this settlement are open to outsiders. Refresh my memory, friends: what is it we're expecting to find there?
With a stare to the north and a faraway look in his eyes Yosef interjects, "Why evidence of what happened to Rogahn and Zelligar, friend Bruard. I have been wondering... was that city their ultimate demise or merely a point along their journey? The fact that it was a supposed barbarian stronghold would make it almost certain that our legendary duo and their army would have went after it instead of bypassing it. We can only speculate though, really. We would do well to charm a local inhabitant or perhaps even capture one, if possible. I do not fancy approaching that place until we know what their true bent and disposition towards us might be."

dmw71 wrote:
ToniXX wrote:Let me know if you feel that I should request a certain spell in preparation for the next leg of our journey.
"Healing always good." Jeloon offers more matter-of-factly, but you suspect it may have been at attempt at humor.
Yosef nods his agreement, smiling broadly at his half-orc companion's waggery. "Aye, we would do well to be as completely healed as possible. I am hopeful that Eyman will benefit from our day's rest and be more able-bodied when the time arises the party need his backing.

"We have enough of the day left that we could cast and prepare more spells, friend Bruard. Mayhap you could cast any remaining healing spells needed and then rest to pray to mighty shinare around dinner? I will plan on memorizing a Charm Person and a Magic Missile spell for our approach on the city. Perhaps we could do some scouting and look to hunt some game. I am thinking that if successful in doing so, perhaps the animal's bones would be enough of a material component for Bruard to cast an Augury spell?"

Yosef will make sure to have those on duty up on the watch tower to look out for any game that may be about!

Edit: OOC: in looking at the clerical spell Augury, those animal bones needed for that spell would have to be a set of sticks made from dragon bones! (Yeah, well...) It also states a set of sticks made from gold would work (Ron: how big would these need to be? Could we possibly use the slag we have from those traitorous elves to make a set?). It even states that tea leaves with a crushed 100gp pearl in them would work. Just thinking ahead... :)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#88 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard muses over his elven friend's thoughts, then looks at the party. Jeloon and Derek are most in need of healing, but none of us are that bad. Till could use a little as well. He pauses to think some more, then speaks again Well, we might as well be all up to snuff before we head out. Who's first?

Bruard looks towards Derek. He pulls out a small idol and holds it in a closed fist as he puts his other hand on Derek's wounds. He says a soft prayer under his breath:
CLW on Derek [1d8] = 2

He moves to Jeloon and does the same:
CLW on Jeloon [1d8] = 1

Then finally to his halfling friend:
CLW on Till [1d8] = 8

LOL The one who needs it least got the most!

Bruard collapses back onto his bedroll, his energy spent. I'll pray for more healing on the morrow before we head out.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by rredmond »

Regular watches? Is everyone finished with what they'd like to do this day?
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#90 Post by Alethan »

"Ah, thanks, Bruard! I feel right as rain just now!" Till stretches and flexes and prances about in the dance of the fully healed...

OOC: Standard watch. Everyone in the tower, with animals and hirelings on the main floor, newly patched door barred from the inside, and the main PCs on the upper level. The two on watch will use the tower to keep a 360 view of the surrounding area. The watch will consist of one person with Infravision and one person with the helm during the darkest hours (think we detailed this watch setup earlier?).

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#91 Post by dmw71 »

ToniXX wrote:He pulls out a small idol and holds it in a closed fist as he puts his other hand on Derek's wounds. He says a soft prayer under his breath:
He moves to Jeloon and does the same:
"Jeloon barely scratched, but healing feel good." Jeloon says appreciatively. "After night of rest, be almost good as new."

"Speaking of rest, me good to stand any watch."
-- Project --
-- DM --

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by rredmond »

Day 17 – 6:00a

New HP totals reflected below.

The night passes relatively quiet. Your guess is that the spiders and undead are pretty good deterrents to any malign creatures wandering through the night. It's a bit cramped in the tower but you manage.

Come first light, and a snake breakfast, you all prepare to go.

Hunting? Moving to the end of the pass? Barring any obstructions that is... :)

HPs: Jeloon - 28/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19; Derek - 39/40
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow [or long sword]; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon & Derek; 2- Till; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 5- Yosef & Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 25 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 58 minutes (off), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-2/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-5/5, 2-4/4
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#93 Post by ToniXX »

After breakfast, Bruard sits in quiet repose and prays to Shinare to regain his magicks (4 x CLW, and 1 x detect magic)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#94 Post by dmw71 »

Having made their preparations the night before, Jeloon and her hirelings are prepared to move out once the rest of the group is ready.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#95 Post by Alethan »

OOC: I suppose the porter is a good DAM handler, as well, so I'll bring him with us for now...

Fully rested and itching to go, Till is up bright and early the next morning. He directs Ancor and Rosin to help break camp and pack up the mules for travel through the pass. Time to see what this city is all about...

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Argennian »

Having already re-memorized his 1st level spells the evening before (magic missile, charm person), Yosef takes a last long look from atop the tower, taking in the view and pondering what benefit or detriment their new destination will offer them. He heads back down to help the others break camp and prepare for the day's journey. "I am hopeful mighty Shinare will grant us a boon in our continued expedition. I am also hopeful we can find a place to safely stay our party and make a closer reconnoiter of the city and its inhabitants."

Once heading out, Yosef will keep his bow and an arrow to hand and assume his normal marching order.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by rredmond »

Day 17 – 6:00a

All four of you have posted.

The day is beautiful and nice and you head out into the pass. You wave at Derek, who murmurs under his breath "please no more spiders" as you head out without him.

I hope to get back on tomorrow to resolve this. We are only leaving Derek behind. A little early for him to be establishing a stronghold, but okay. ;) Now you head to the end of the blasted pass, hopefully without incident. :twisted:

HPs: Jeloon - 28/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19; Derek - 39/40
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow [or long sword]; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon & Derek; 2- Till; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 5- Yosef & Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 25 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 58 minutes (off), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#98 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard is happy to get away from the eerie tower and the rest of the abandoned fortress, and looks forward to what he and his friends may encounter on the road ahead.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by rredmond »

Day 17 – 6:00p

With a nice day ahead of you and the sun shining, and the prospect of getting out of this pass, you hurry along (without incident, Shinare had a talk with the Dice Gods) and are able to make the end of the pass before the sun goes down. You all see what Till had been saying, about a half-day's march, across open plain, there is a city. The day is ending but there is still time to do things today if you'd like, or to wait for a new day tomorrow.

See map here viewtopic.php?f=20&t=351&p=14616#p14616 .

HPs: Jeloon - 28/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19[/b]
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow [or long sword]; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon; 2- Till; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 5- Yosef & Van

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Argennian »

Yosef cannot contain his curiosity or excitement, nor does he try to. "Ahh, to travel back upon time and become a bird flying high above that place when they came through here..." he trails off, speaking to no one in particular.

The elf then returns from Dreamland to snap back to reality. He looks about methodically to assess the current geography and that closer to the city.

He turns to Till, Jeloon, Bruard and the others with an apparent renewed passion in their quest. "We should look for as defensible a place as possible to make our camp. In regards to that additional reconnoiter, how much closer should we risk approaching? Mayhap we could find a gulley or stand of trees between here and there to obscure ourselves. Or perhaps we should hike around the perimeter of the city to see what lies upon the far side? Do we risk traveling or approaching closer under cover of darkness?”

OOC: Ron, can we see any flora or geological arrangements from here that could provide any type cover in approaching the city? What does the terrain look like beyond? Not sure how much we can see but curious. You know how those flighty elves are!

Edit: grammaticals
Last edited by Argennian on Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”