Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Action Thread 12

#61 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:
Alethan wrote:You're killing me.
ooc: Or, quite possibly, me (Jeloon). :shock:
Well... So what does it do???? You are the one with the PM, right?
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#62 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:Well... So what does it do???? You are the one with the PM, right?
Jeloon holds up her hand in front of her, palm out. She admires the ring on her finger. She lowers her hand after a moment and simply shrugs her shoulders. "This thing is magical? You sure?" she wonders aloud.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#63 Post by Alethan »

Till shrugs.

"Supposed to be! In fact, it glowed quite brightly when Bruard cast his mumbo jumbo magical detection spell on it. Brighter than my dagger, which cuts old rope like nothing else! Maybe it won't show its powers until such a time as they are needed. You could always stick your hand in a burning flame and see if it hurts," he adds with a grin.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Argennian »

dmw71 wrote:Jeloon holds up her hand in front of her, palm out. She admires the ring on her finger. She lowers her hand after a moment and simply shrugs her shoulders. "This thing is magical? You sure?" she wonders aloud.
Alethan wrote:Till shrugs.

"Supposed to be! In fact, it glowed quite brightly when Bruard cast his mumbo jumbo magical detection spell on it. Brighter than my dagger, which cuts old rope like nothing else! Maybe it won't show its powers until such a time as they are needed. You could always stick your hand in a burning flame and see if it hurts," he adds with a grin.
Yosef’s eyebrows fly up and his visage looks incredulously at his companions. "It most certainly is magical! Mighty Shinare and my own Detect Magic spell have revealed it to be so!"

The elf fidgets uncomfortably and then takes a deep breath. "It could very well have a passive effect that cannot be activated until a particular stimulus or effect transpires. If this is the case, it will not be known to us until then. There is no other evidence that we have discovered here that will help us in this. Perhaps, before possibly burning your hand, try to engage the magics in other ways. Try physical activities, such as running or jumping. If there were a river or pond, I would suggest trying to swim to see if you could do so in an enhanced way. If you do anything potentially dangerous, let us be sure that friend Bruard is ready with Shinare’s curative magics!"
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by rredmond »

When you guys aren't plottin' and plannin' I lose track here. What else would y'all like to accomplish this fine day. Bruard will certainly burn some heals this day, and the dice will clatter for monsters that may be a'wanderin' :)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#66 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:When you guys aren't plottin' and plannin' I lose track here. What else would y'all like to accomplish this fine day. Bruard will certainly burn some heals this day, and the dice will clatter for monsters that may be a'wanderin' :)
ooc: Sorry, all. I am still trying to get a feel for how migellito played Jeloon before I really start interjecting too much (I'm am currently wrapping up 'Action Thread 2'). She is convinced the ring has magical properties and fine to proceed without undergoing a ton of rigorous testing on it, convinced those properties will reveal themselves in due time.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#67 Post by Alethan »

Alethan wrote: Till nods at Yosef's plan and heads out. Figuring the easiest way to look for secret passages along the outer wall of the compound is with the helmet (can we assume Bruard is going to handle this task?), Till will work on examining the mountainous wall nearest the compound, assuming any kind of hiding hole or hidden cave will be somewhat close. He'll take advantage of his halfling abilities to do his best to remain hidden while he examines the hillside/mountainside for any signs of hidden trails or old unused trails. If he should find anything like that, he'll follow the trail up the side of the mountain, looking for hidden cave entrances and such.

Not sure what everyone else is doing. Hopefully we can just say Bruard is using his helm to examine the outer walls for secret entrances or hiding holes or whatever.
This is Till's posted plan of action for the day. Not sure what everyone else is doing...

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Argennian »

rredmond wrote:When you guys aren't plottin' and plannin' I lose track here. What else would y'all like to accomplish this fine day. Bruard will certainly burn some heals this day, and the dice will clatter for monsters that may be a'wanderin' :)

Proposed Tasks for day:

1. Make sure that at least 1-2 members of the party are on station atop the tower at all times during our stay, in order to keep an eye on those party members searching around outside the walls and watching for any approaching.

2. Have Jeloon take off the ring and have Bruard use the Helm of Sight to check it for ?? Then, whilst watching with the Helm, have Jeloon put it back on. Perhaps an aura will be seen or some such? Might be futile but never know...

3. Then immediately have Bruard move to search the outer walls of the tower compound and ground around the outside perimeter for any secret/hidden entrances or potential hidden stores/stash spots.

4. Do our best to secure the tower and remaining compound, so that we can use it as a fall back position or potential FOB (Forward Operating Base). I really like Till's idea of securing the tower from the inside and using a rope to climb down the outside. Certainly isn't fullproof but would at least keep most wandering monsters/undead out. We should use a "well-leafed" branch to wipe clear as much of the dirt leading into the compound when we leave, so that we may know if anyone investigates the compound in our absense.

Think that about covers it for now.

Question: can we see the old barbarian city from the tower? Can we estimate how far away it is to travel there? (hours/another day?)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#69 Post by Alethan »

The helm isn't all magical. It can give the user infravision and 3x/day it gives the user true sight, as in the spell, which is used to detect hidden or secret passages, compartments, doorways, etc.

If it gave any indication of anything "magical", we would have been told about it by now.

Jeloon has the ring. Let's just leave it up to Jeloon to try and figure it out now. :)

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:The helm isn't all magical. It can give the user infravision and 3x/day it gives the user true sight, as in the spell, which is used to detect hidden or secret passages, compartments, doorways, etc.

If it gave any indication of anything "magical", we would have been told about it by now.
You're most likely 100% correct, Al. I know the chances of finding a hidden reservoir in that big 'ol honking magical ring filled with Magic Juice are pretty unlikely...
Alethan wrote:Jeloon has the ring. Let's just leave it up to Jeloon to try and figure it out now. :)
Totally agreed. It was more for the roleplaying dramatic IC to Jeloon's response and I was hoping to get a laugh of you and Ron, honestly! :)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#71 Post by Alethan »

Argennian wrote: Totally agreed. It was more for the roleplaying dramatic IC to Jeloon's response and I was hoping to get a laugh of you and Ron, honestly! :)
I'm constantly laughing out loud at work, reading these forums. All of my co-workers think I'm crazy. :)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by rredmond »

There's still some more that can be done in the day, but...
It’s easy enough to set 2 folks on watch, for the party members and for any enemies that may wander in.

Bruard doesn’t notice any changes in aura or differences in Jeloon or the ring when she takes it on and off.

Bruard then checks the outer rim of the watch tower area for secret passages or otherwise, and unfortunately the helm reveals nothing to him throughout the day. Till checks the mountainous area near the compound, which is less mountainous around here, they seem to be getting smaller, and he doesn’t find anything of worth. No trails, that can be seen, are found.

With your hirelings and the whole day, you are easily able to rig up the door to be blocked from the inside. You have to go out of the area for a leafy branch, but not too far.

The tower is situated strangely, you can see the pass, but the pass takes another of its sharp turns northward as it widens. So you can see that it’s ending, but not the actual end. You have a great view of it coming south though. While you wouldn’t be surprised by anyone coming around that north corner, you have much more view of the pass going south.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#73 Post by Alethan »

After spending part of the day looking for trails in the mountainous/hilly area, Till comes back to the tower for a break and some food.

Speaking with anyone else in the area at that time, he says, "Well, it was worth checking out, but I don't think there is much else to find around here. I do, however, like that we have a base of operations of sorts. Depending on how far away that city is, we might even want to consider keeping a few people stationed here in the tower..." he trails off in thought and sits there, chewing on a piece of smoked bear meat for a while.

"Meh... I'm bored," he says, standing up and dusting off his breeches. "I'm going to check up the pass and see what's around the bend. I have my signal whistle with me. Remember, two short blows means come quickly prepared for action!" He winks. "But no worries. I don't plan on getting into trouble... just yet."

Till dons his cloak, makes sure his dagger and short sword are secured, and slips out of the compound, heading north. He'll stick to the western wall of the canyon, as that should provide him with more shadows in which to hide as the day gets later. He won't go far... just up to the bend to see what's beyond.

;)

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#74 Post by ToniXX »

As Bruard watches his diminutive friend go forth and scout, he says a small prayer to Shinare. He asks her to watch and protect him, and to return him safely to camp.

Not a spell, just letting you guys know I'm back. I've caught up with what I missed and am ready to go. Sorry for my absence, and welcome to the party, Dave!
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#75 Post by dmw71 »

ToniXX wrote:...welcome to the party, Dave!
Thanks, looking forward to getting going with this group.
Last edited by dmw71 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:After spending part of the day looking for trails in the mountainous/hilly area, Till comes back to the tower for a break and some food.

Speaking with anyone else in the area at that time, he says, "Well, it was worth checking out, but I don't think there is much else to find around here. I do, however, like that we have a base of operations of sorts. Depending on how far away that city is, we might even want to consider keeping a few people stationed here in the tower..." he trails off in thought and sits there, chewing on a piece of smoked bear meat for a while.
Yosef considers approvingly as he shares the meal. "Due appreciations for your time in that, Till. I felt we should alleviate some possibilities in the matter, anyways. It would seem my hunch about this place was somewhat wrong. Or more like... false hope, as Dravic would say. Nevertheless, we now have some powerful magic items and have enhanced our range of capability. No small risk in clearing this installation either, so yes, we can certainly assume a claim of sorts. Regardless, we had to do so. If for nothing else than to at least eliminate the chance that this place held some clue to the mystery we seek, no matter how fleeting...”

Alethan wrote: "Meh... I'm bored," he says, standing up and dusting off his breeches. "I'm going to check up the pass and see what's around the bend. I have my signal whistle with me. Remember, two short blows means come quickly prepared for action!" He winks. "But no worries. I don't plan on getting into trouble... just yet."

Till dons his cloak, makes sure his dagger and short sword are secured, and slips out of the compound, heading north. He'll stick to the western wall of the canyon, as that should provide him with more shadows in which to hide as the day gets later. He won't go far... just up to the bend to see what's beyond.

;)

Yosef hides his immediate concern with much better proficiency. Besides, who better to do a stealthy reconnoiter? “A look around up there would be tactically valuable indeed. I know I do not need to say it, but be careful anyway, Till!”

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by rredmond »

Day 16 – 1:00p

After lunch Till heads off with everyone's blessings.

PM coming.

HPs: Jeloon - 26/29; Till - 34/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19; Derek - 36/40
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow [or long sword]; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon & Derek; 2- Till; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 5- Yosef & Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 25 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 58 minutes (off), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-2/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-5/5, 2-4/4

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#78 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:
After lunch Till heads off with everyone's blessings.

PM coming.
THAT's what I'm talkin' about. Secret stuff. Yeah. :)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#79 Post by Alethan »

Towards the end of the day (total time gone of about six hours - just in time for the evening meal!), Till finally returns to the outpost/tower.

Once most everyone (still posting guards in the tower, I assume, but Till makes sure all primary party members are present) is seated and eating, Till gives them a brief description of what he found...

"The path generally goes north, with a twist to the east and then another to the west. After a while, it greatly expands out and becomes much less mountainous. That is about how far I went. Off in the distance - maybe another half day's march - I spied a walled city. It looked both ruined and populated, though I certainly couldn't see by whom."

"I've no idea how big the city is - just saw walls and a few towers..." he pauses mid-thought, his fork hovering just above his plate. "Come to think of it, there were several towers along the walls and then it looked like there may be one tower in the middle." He nods his head slowly as he remembers back to earlier in the day. "Yeah... definitely a central tower of some kind..."

"I was moving at a pretty good pace by myself. We'll be slower when we're all moving together; I'd say we're a full day's march to that city from here, if that is our next step."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#80 Post by dmw71 »

"So, where to?" Jeloon asks.
Alethan wrote:I'd say we're a full day's march to that city from here, if that is our next step."
"Visit city sounds good to me."
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”