Expedition - Fingers/Heading West - 10 May 2021

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Expedition - Fingers/Heading West - 10 May 2021

#1 Post by Marullus »

Fingers sets out Eastward Westward, to discover the lost citadel and Kobold tower mentioned by Clay Weatherwax, with whomever wishes to join him. Roger-up here to join the adventure. The party delays due to the rain but finally sets out on 10 May 2021.
  • Fingers McGraw -- Male Human -- Zhym -- 05 May 2021 - (Can depart again on 08 May)
  • Baxtaw Greayburst -- Male Elf -- Dram -- 05 May 2021 -- (Can depart again on 08 May)
  • Casper White - Male Human - hedgeknight - 07 May 2021
  • Clay Weatherwax -- Male Human -- Rusty Tincanne -- 09 May 2021
  • Corbin the Lucky -- Male Human -- KingOfCowards -- 05 May 2021 -- (Can depart again on 08 May)
  • Grizzly Woman -- Female Human -- Starbeard -- 01 May 2021
  • Halfpint -- Female Halfling -- 07 May 2021
  • Silent -- Male Human -- Zorroroaster -- 05 May 2021 - (Can depart again on 08 May)
Click here to jump to the Expedition Beginning.

Reminder: Please keep IC threads IC, with minimal necessary OOC captured in red OOC text. Move general banter to the OOC thread.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Fingers/Heading East - 08 May 2021

#2 Post by Zhym »

Fingers is in favor of waiting. Though Sprinkles does love puddles.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Zorroroaster »

Silent will go exploring.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Zhym »

Here's who we have so far, I think:
  • Baxtaw Greayburst -- Male Elf -- Dram -- 05 May 2021 -- (Can depart again on 08 May)
  • Fingers McGraw -- Male Human -- Zhym -- 05 May 2021 - (Can depart again on 08 May)
  • Silent -- Male Human -- Zorroroaster -- 05 May 2021 - (Can depart again on 08 May)

Baxtaw said OOC that he was in but hasn't posted in here yet.

We don't have any clerics in the group. Corbin and Foxy, neither of whom is a cleric AFAIK, are the only active PCs available to join unless someone not already in this expedition is rolling up a second character. Venturing out without a cleric is...not good. Any idea on whether we should just hang in town until a cleric becomes available, try to hire one (anyone have decent charisma?), or what? I don't imagine we have the funds to stock up on healing potions.

What we really need is for Clay to show up in town again. A druid is just what a wandering exploration mission needs. :)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

my dog can beat up your dog! :P

Clay is intersted in heading East. He won't enjoy your "kill them all and let the gods sort them out" style. Also, he is a bit overbearing and holier than thou, if you know what i mean. He has the power to heal Foxy but left her in bed to heal naturally instead. (Because she kept killing everything and then burned up his goblin ally! Sheesh! :lol: )

He should be back in town on the 9th, if there isnt some sort of fiasco in the next day... I was thinking of spending a day or two to write up a few CLW scrolls before heading out, but he could be persuaded to depart without that.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Zhym »

Hey, Fingers only kills goblins that attack him. Or try to take his beer. Or try to run away after attacking him. ;)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

seeing as both are teenage boys, they would probably get along fine. They can sit in the bacj of the group giggling and one anothers antics while being moody. And they can look at girls or tell girls their friend likes them!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Zhym »

When it comes to fighting, Fingers has two mottoes:

1. Don't fight if you don't have to.
2. If you have to fight, don't fight fair.

:D

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Zhym »

Also, having read through that thread, I'm amazed that Clay didn't kill Foxy himself. ;)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

He isnt strong enough to get through an adventure on his own!

As a character, he thought about leaving her for dead many times, but Beith works in odd ways, so she must have some purpose in the world.

As a player, that would have been a horrible thing to do. Stirling played her brilliantly; like an annoying (and annoyed), patronizing older sister. Clay sort of had the hots for her. A love-hate relationship. He is off having some man-time with Gus now. And his dog and owl. (The donkey is a girl, so she didnt make the cut.)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by hedgeknight »

Casper White > Cleric of Gwanwen

A scruffy looking young fellow, wearing patchwork clothing and cloak, and well-worn boots, walks into view. He is leading a light brown donkey which looks about as tired as he does. "I'm looking for a man named Fingers. I hear he's mounting an expedition to the east. I would be obliged to go along if he'll have me."
A mace hangs at the young man's side and the tinkle of mail can be heard under his clothing. A wooden crescent moon hangs around his neck on a leather cord. The man turns to his donkey with a grin and whispers, "If his expedition partner is named 'Toes' I'll buy you a bag of apples, Ted."
Winter is coming...

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw- This here is Fingers. Are you a cleric. Bax looks for the rest of the party so that can get on the road. Fingers who will be joining us going back after the goblins?
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by KingOfCowards »

I could have sworn I posted here
Corbin shows up, unexpected and unannounced, but looking cheerful despite the rain.
"Headed east are ye? Might as well get moving rain or not. Who knows when its going to end. Hell, maybe its dryer to the east."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Marullus »

Okay, I have your group leaving on the morning of 09 May, while the rain is stopped.
- Is anyone carrying 80lbs or more? That sets the group to 1/4 movement again. (If not, I assume we're still above 60lbs on Silent or someone else, and at 1/2 movement).
- does anyone in this group have a mount or pack animal to help defer weight? I don't think so, but just checking.

Please do any last minute prepping in Town Business, and then we can move out as soon as you're all ready. Also, please make sure you paid for room and board to bring you up current to the morning of the 9th.

I have the PCs below going along:

• Fingers McGraw -- Male Human -- Zhym -- 05 May 2021
  • Baxtaw Greayburst -- Male Elf -- Dram -- 05 May 2021
  • Casper White - Male Human - hedgeknight - 07 May 2021
  • Corbin the Lucky -- Male Human -- KingOfCowards -- 05 May 2021
  • Grizzly Woman -- Female Human -- Starbeard -- 01 May 2021
  • Silent -- Male Human -- Zorroroaster -- 05 May 2021

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by KingOfCowards »

Marullus wrote:Okay, I have your group leaving on the morning of 09 May, while the rain is stopped.
- Is anyone carrying 80lbs or more? That sets the group to 1/4 movement again. (If not, I assume we're still above 60lbs on Silent or someone else, and at 1/2 movement).
- does anyone in this group have a mount or pack animal to help defer weight? I don't think so, but just checking.

Please do any last minute prepping in Town Business, and then we can move out as soon as you're all ready. Also, please make sure you paid for room and board to bring you up current to the morning of the 9th.
Speaking of which, does anybody in town sell pack animals? I didn't see anything in the Town Business posts. Do we have to wait for the next caravan to arrive?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Zhym »

Fingers has enough money to buy a pack pony or mule (or even a draft horse), but I don't know if he's the best one to manage both a dog and a mule.

Is there any advantage to a draft horse over a mule or pony as a pack animal?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Marullus »

Zhym wrote:Is there any advantage to a draft horse over a mule or pony as a pack animal?
Yes, see here. Draft horses lower the max group speed to 3/4 (not a problem in this group) but then they carry more than twice as much weight. A draft horses is also possible for Fingers to use as a mount, where he's too big to ride a mule or pony.

Normally, there are not horses for sale. (They'll be special-occasion offerings at the Festivals.) It just so happens that the Farrow Farm is willing to part with a draft horse just now, though. I'll let you buy it if it is desired.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Zhym »

Mules can be taken into dungeons but ponies and horses cannot, right?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Marullus »

Thanks for pointing that out (p. 89). What a strange inconsistency. It says mules can, not that all others can't. Ponies and mules are of a size, so no reason one would fit but not the other. Horses are too big to fit in most places. Ponies and mules for some places. Donkey can go anywhere. Going somewhere cramped or with bad footing might be a morale check - mules have better morale (8), then riding horses and ponies (7), and draft horses (6).

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Zhym »

I don't see that as an inconsistency. It's been pretty much constant in AD&D IIRC. I think the idea is that mules are surer-footed and less skittish so can go places ponies and horses can't.

I'm not sure what purpose donkeys are supposed to serve. They can't carry much.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”