Expedition to the B.P. - Chp. 2: Rage Against the Machine

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition to the B.P. - Chp. 2: Rage Against the Machin

#541 Post by Grognardsw »

The past victims of the brain beast look on with dull eyes. The knowledge of how the creature attacked is perhaps trapped, or perhaps drained, from their minds. The wounded adventurers wonder if and how the devourer of intellect may reappear. Some recall from the earliest account of its appearance that the monster was physically present when it attacked.

Porphyry the satyr remains unconcious, and many party members are injured. The realization sinks in that Brother Puddington, Guido and Getafix, all healers, are in no condition to bring divine cures to their party. There was the so-called Medical or Sick Bay, though it seems only deadly automatons dwelled within (though admittedly a thorough search of the place wasn't possible at the time.)

This level of the dungeon certainly holds dangers in the unpredictable iron golems, though some have followed orders of those with red cards. It seems when the strict proscriptions of the golems are broken, they become most agitated. Do Fingal's words hold wisdom, after the party rests as the ranger suggests?

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#542 Post by greyarea »

Asherrion says, I don't use detecting evil magics, just not my thing, but ever since I came out of that flying metal castle, I have been able to feel other minds. I can't read thoughts, at least I've never tried so I don't think I can, but I can detect when people's minds aren't right. That's how I knew Guido was possessed.

I wish I could fight that thing with my mind, or even force it out into the open but I can't. I can scan you all for the Thing and I'll try that now, but I don't need Swil or anyone else accusing me of anything. I'll just tell you who I detect isn't himself and you can use your own magics or whatever to see if I'm right.

Asherrion scans with his ESP

After scanning:
You all seem like you're yourselves. I can't detect the Thing among you, says the grey.

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant
President of Unseen Servant

#543 Post by Hotgoblin »

Groyn

You know that brain eater took over Gryev down the chute, I ain't thinking we're safe anywheres...it seems like it can go anywhere!!! Maybe our best option is leaving this metal death trap!!!

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#544 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"I must say, possibly for the first time ever, the good dwarf speaks plain sense." says Wrenly, then suddenly arches his eyebrows in suspicion. "Asherrion, perhaps you'd better give the fellow another good scanning to be sure he is himself..."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#546 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal peers around at the others, trying not to look suspicious and failing miserably.

He looks down at all of his grave wounds and wishes the healers weren't all dimwits now.

Thanks for reminding me there, Andy. In all the excitement, I forgot that half of us were still almost dead.

So, do we rest some more in here and keep a watch out for ol' brainy then? Or do we try to make a break for the med room?

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#547 Post by greyarea »

ChubbyPixie wrote:"I must say, possibly for the first time ever, the good dwarf speaks plain sense." says Wrenly, then suddenly arches his eyebrows in suspicion. "Asherrion, perhaps you'd better give the fellow another good scanning to be sure he is himself..."
The grey smiles wryly at the wizard.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#548 Post by Zhym »

"Perhaps our addle-minded companions will regain their wits with time," says Andover, though his voice does not convey optimism. "An exit would be prudent, but the door through which we entered closed behind us. We may not be able to leave."

"I suggest resting here for a full day. With the portal closed, we are relatively secure from all except the brain monster. Against that, we can only remain together and stay vigilant. If, after a full day of rest, our clerics show no signs of regaining their selves, we may have to chance trusting their fates to the metal healers."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#549 Post by AleBelly »

"Aye" replies Wulfhart to Andover. "Rest will serve us all well. I fear a day may not be enough, if our feeble-minded friends do not recover."

After a bit more reflection, he adds "I don't like trying to fight what we can't see. Can that thing go through doors? Or are we safe in here?"

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#550 Post by AleBelly »

At the mention of rest, Candy wordlessly retires to rest further.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#551 Post by Inferno »

Swilbosh, savage lizardman warrior:
greyarea wrote:Asherrion says, ....but I don't need Swil or anyone else accusing me of anything...
The barbaric reptile giant grunts, "Porphyry drew ssssusssspiccccion upon himsssself when he attacked one of our healerssss while telling Wrenly NOT to usssse magic to find the Thing.

"You ARE ussssing magic to find the Thing. We won't have a problem."
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#552 Post by Grognardsw »

The gray alien elf Asherrion's newly revealed power to read minds comes as a relieving surprise to the party as he declares everyone in the room to be of their own minds. Has Asherrion been doing such "reading" since the Caves of Chaos back in the Borderlands? Perhaps some of the adventurers remember particularly intuitive insights made by the elf along the way.

There is further discussion about next steps and concensus is reached to rest. The double guard routine is continued. Will the brain monster return? The adventurers talk about that topic for some time. It is remembered that every time the mind-devourer attacked, a party member was alone or alone with one other. First Gryev in the level below, then Gryev with Getafix, then Getafix with Brother Puddington, then Puddington with Guido, then the monster's public exit from Guido and its quick disappearance to (according to the mystic vision of Porphyry) the ethereal plane. Is it there now, biding its time for the right moment?

A full day passes uneventfully (regain 1 HP). One of the two watch guards listens at the door and hears an occasional mechanical hum of a passing robot. At one point, there is a passing slurpy sound. At another time, the familiar chittering of vegenoids. The adventurers wonder if the chute that is in the area outside of their door is a source of the traffic.

The feeble-minded adventurers remain in their sorry state. Many times they need to be occupied with simple games like sparring, paddy-cake and scrawling pictures with chalk on the walls.

The issue of healing the wounded remains. Porphyry revives, his satyr constitution perhaps more robust than humans (at 1 HP.)

It is at the end of the 24 hours of rest, when Swilbosh and Groyn happen to be on guard duty, that the lizardman at the closed and malfunctioned iris door hears a human voice some distance beyond.

"How do these damn boots work again?!" a cantankerous male voice says. "I'm a doctor not a spelunker!"
- Porphyry may speak now!
- Tkrexx has only the Guido character. Perhaps he could take another who has two in play. At this point, that is Wulfhart/Candy.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#553 Post by Inferno »

Swilbosh snarls, "Wake up! There are more talkative humanssss coming."

Once the party is roused, the lizardman pulls open the iris and appears in it with Groyn or another human so that his fearsome appearance doesn't startle the newcomers.

"Pleasssse. We have need of a doctor."
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#554 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Hello?" says Wrenly around the lizardman's head. "Assistance? Perhaps we could arrive at some form of trade of goods and services? I'm quite skilled at incinerating things from a distance... if you have such a need..."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#555 Post by Grognardsw »

It takes but a minute for the adventurers to come to alertness at Swilbosh's urging. After another minute and with a grating of metal, the lizardman and dwarf force the broken door to iris open. They peer into the dimly lit hallway area where they see the chute. There are also three doors in the north wall and corridors leading west and south (see map.) Wrenly, from his mapping of this strange dungeon, realizes that this north chute chamber is symetrical to the south chute chamber in which the party entered this complex.

No humans can be seen but there is an echo of noise from down the chute... "this way now.."

Looking down the shaft, they see it extend downward into darkness for an indeterminate length. Swilbosh and Groyn had earlier climbed down to the next level below in pursuit of Gryev. What lies below that level they do not know, but it appears the alledged humans had surprisingly quickly descended to some level below and were now out-of-sight.

Map

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#557 Post by Zhym »

"Chasing after someone into that chute did us no good before," counters Andover. "I am skeptical that it would be wise now, with so many of us out of their minds and others ill able to withstand combat. However, if we all resolve to go, now, I will stay with the group. We must remain together whatever we do."

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#558 Post by greyarea »

Asherrion says, Yes, but before we were separated from each other. If we all go down, it will be much more secure. And without that idiot Gryev running off after every rabbit or whatever he sees, we should be able to stay together. That means you Fingal. We need to stay together, not splitting up.

I vote we follow the voices, like Wrenly suggests! We desperately need healing.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#559 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal feels a little embarrassed now along with his many injuries.

Sure! I will stay with the bunch. I learnt my lesson the last time.

We aint getting nothing done in here, injured er not. I agree that we should make like a baby and head out.

Maybe someone other than me should check the droolers stuff? Mayhaps he's got some hidden goodies to make us better?

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#560 Post by greyarea »

Yeah, but it's the headin' out that's tough, notes the Grey. Didn't the entrance close behind us? We need to find an alternate exit, which means we need to explore more.

Return to “The Keep on the Borderlands”