Chapter 4 > Thundertree

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Chapter 4 > Thundertree

#281 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Dogma wrote:
wordoftheoracle wrote:
Gerland, do something productive! If you do not, the spider will see me a the sole antagonist!
I would love to but I don't have Gerland's character sheet so I dont know what he can do :)
Whenever you have it. That's Ioriston talking to Gerland in character. Also, your private thread looks like its public...
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)
Loche - Level Three Pict Thief, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#282 Post by hedgeknight »

hedgeknight wrote:Beating Up the Locals, Rd. 1
A house or so away, Ioriston and Gerland spy the giant spider and its cocooned prey and Ioriston eagerly tries one of his new spells. Invoking his magic, he unleashes a scorching ray of fire at the spider, hitting it directly and knocking it off the thick webbing. Hissing and spitting, the giant arachnid thrashes on the ground...and then rights itself, while searching for the one who hurt it so badly. Somehow, it is still alive and it appears to be preparing to fire its webbing at you!
Gerland quickly shoulders his crossbow and fires, driving a bolt completely through one of the giant spider's legs! The creature screeches in pain, biting at the bolt in its leg.
Gerland crossbow: [1d20+2] = 17+2 = 19, [1d8] = 2

Beating Up the Locals, Rd. 2
Gerland, do something productive! If you do not, the spider will see me a the sole antagonist! Ioriston says...just before fanning his hands in front of him and sending out a trio of magical missiles! The bolts sizzle unerringly and batter the spider, flinging greenish gore and ichor all over the webbing and the foliage. The spider drops its head...quivers...and dies.
Gerland, in the middle of loading another crossbow bolt, shrugs and says, "You didn't even need me! I just wasted a good bolt too."

Still contemplating the effects of fire on these ashen zombies, Aslaan fires another arrow point blank into the zombie's face, bursting its skull, and blasting its corroded brain on the ceiling and walls of the ruined building. As it crumples to the ground, Kelton steps up to the remaining zombie, confident in his axe-wielding skills. Unfortunately, the warrior slips in the goop and gore of the zombie Aslaan just put down, and misses his foe completely.
The ash zombie reaches for the warrior with a blackened fist, but Kelton ducks out of the way at the last second!

Actions!!

Aslaan > down 6 hp
Gerland > down 3 hp
Ioriston > down 3 hp
Kelton > down 1 hp
Winter is coming...

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#283 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Of course I need you, Gerland. You can take our Druidic friend down from his arachnid embrace and revive him. I will go see what trouble my new apprentice has stirred up.

Ioriston cautious approaches where the other half of the party started searching.
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#284 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Aslaan backs up and fires again, moving to the side to have a clear line of sight with no chance to hit Kelton. He also looks around for any way to slow the remaining creature down or block its path. Aslaan looks to see if the structure looks rickety enough to try and bring down onto the zombie.

To hit: [1d20+7] = 2+7 = 9, damage with longbow [1d8+3] = 7+3 = 10

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#285 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Not seeing any special attack other than brute force coming from this thing, Kelton decides to fight power with power.

To Hit [1d20+3] = 3+3 = 6, Damage of Great Axe [1d12+3] = 4+3 = 7

He still seems unable to hit the thing properly, however.

We sure could use the priest or the mage right about now, eh As?

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#286 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Or a good old-fashioned house collapse. Nothing like a deadfall to uneven the odds.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#287 Post by Dogma »

Gerland does his best to remove the wrapped druid from the web and to pull away the sticky strands encasing him. He'll then examine the unconsious druid to see if there is anything he can do to revive him.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#288 Post by hedgeknight »

Beating Up the Locals, Rd. 3

Moving to get a clear shot and not hit his companion Kelton, Aslaan backs up, steps left, and fires...striking the ash zombie in the ribs. A large puff of ash and flesh burst out of the zombie in somewhat of a cloud...right in Kelton's face! (CON save, please)
The big warrior coughs and spits as he tries to bring his sword to bear on the creature, but his eyes are burning from the ash and his blade hits nothing but air.
Of course, the zombie attacks Kelton again, swinging at him with its blackened fist...but the damage is absorbed by the warrior's armor.

Ioriston and Gerland split up with the mage moving in the direction of where his companions are fighting, while the cleric begins to unravel the spider's victim.
Moving with caution, Ioriston makes it to the ruined building (#8) in time to see a zombie give off a cloud of soot and ash, right in Kelton's face.

Gerland works quickly to remove the tangled mess of spider webbing from what turns out to be the druid Reidoth. Checking for a pulse, Gerland is saddened to find none. The druid looks ashen gray, his lips almost black, he is also quite stiff. Gerland would estimate the druid has been dead for nearly 10 hours.

Aslaan >
You glance around the rickety structure of the building and figure it would take two three folks pushing against an outer wall for it to collapse inward.

Actions?
Aslaan > down 6 hp
Gerland > down 3 hp
Ioriston > down 3 hp
Kelton > down 1 hp
Zombie > down 10 hp
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#289 Post by coil23 »

If we collapsed the wall inward, does it seem like it would topple onto the zombie but none of us?

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#290 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Observing his apprentice in distress, Ioriston acts quickly. He puts both of his hands out in front of him and casts Magic Missile at the offending zombie (the one that just attacked Kelton). Needless to say, Ioriston is not surprised.

Magic Missile: 1st Missile Damage: [1d4+1] = 3+1 = 4; Second Missile Damage: [1d4+1] = 4+1 = 5; Third Missile Damage: [1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3

I leave you alone for mere minutes! Gerland is healing our Druid now so I expect I'm the only reinforcement you will receive this hour.
PC History:

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#291 Post by Dogma »

Gerland folds the druids arms across his chest and says a quick prayer for the dead. "Sorry to leave you here, but the living may need my help," he says with a bowed head. "I'll be back as soon as I can to see you on your journey."

The cleric sadly leaves the body of the druid and hustles after Loriston.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#292 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Constitution Save [1d20+2] = 16+2 = 18

Again Kelton is embarrassed to resort to his blade so quickly. He hopes that Aslaan will not try to drop the building on top of him before he can dispatch this monster.

He coughs out the black soot from his throat and mouth, swinging too hard with his ax again.

To Hit [1d20+3] = 8+3 = 11, Damage of Great Axe [1d12+3] = 3+3 = 6

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#293 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Dogma wrote:The cleric sadly leaves the body of the druid and hustles after Loriston.
Hahaha! It's Ioriston with an 'I'. Kelton and Ioriston got into it over that earlier in the campaign! :lol:
PC History:

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#294 Post by hedgeknight »

Beating Up the Locals, Rd. 4

While Aslaan considers whether to risk dropping the wall onto the zombie, Ioriston, finding his apprentice in distress, acts quickly and fires a volley of magical missiles into the zombie. The bolts batter the zombie, ending its undead existence, rewarding it with an eternal rest.
Kelton gasps in a lung full of ash and smoke and swings wildly, eyes streaming burning tears. Aslaan steps back so as not to get cleaved by Kelton's axe.

I leave you alone for mere minutes! Gerland is healing our Druid...er..." Ioriston breaks off what he was about to say as Gerland trots up to the group. The look on the young cleric's face tells everyone the terrible truth. For several seconds, no one says a word...

Actions?
Aslaan > down 6 hp
Gerland > down 3 hp
Ioriston > down 3 hp
Kelton > down 1 hp
Winter is coming...

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#295 Post by wordoftheoracle »

hedgeknight wrote:Beating Up the Locals, Rd. 4

While Aslaan considers whether to risk dropping the wall onto the zombie, Ioriston, finding his apprentice in distress, acts quickly and fires a volley of magical missiles into the zombie. The bolts batter the zombie, ending its undead existence, rewarding it with an eternal rest.
Kelton gasps in a lung full of ash and smoke and swings wildly, eyes streaming burning tears. Aslaan steps back so as not to get cleaved by Kelton's axe.

I leave you alone for mere minutes! Gerland is healing our Druid...er..." Ioriston breaks off what he was about to say as Gerland trots up to the group. The look on the young cleric's face tells everyone the terrible truth. For several seconds, no one says a word...

Actions?
Aslaan > down 6 hp
Gerland > down 3 hp
Ioriston > down 3 hp
Kelton > down 1 hp
Are there any other immediate threats? I thought there was one more ash zombie.
PC History:

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#296 Post by hedgeknight »

wordoftheoracle wrote:Are there any other immediate threats? I thought there was one more ash zombie.
There were initially two zombies, but Aslaan and Kelton took down the first one fairly easily. No further immediate threats.
Winter is coming...

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#297 Post by Dogma »

"There was nothing I could do."says Gerland with a quick glance back towards where he had left the body,"We should go back for him. I...I should go back. I promised him I wouldn't leave him just lying there."

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#298 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Not to be callous, Gerland, but I can assure you that his condition is stable. You shouldn't have to rush back to him. Let's make sure the coast is clear around here first so we don't get ambushed during our funeral pronounced few-NAY-rule duties.

Ioriston looks investigates the area for any residual magic before moving on to the ex-Druid.

Just a friendly reminder, we are supposed to be on an errand for Flora. Another friendly reminder, Flora is a dragon. A third reminder, dragons are not known for their patience. Do with those facts what you will.
PC History:

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#299 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Aslaan pauses a moment with his head down after realizing the druid is dead. He gave his life for us. Respect is always due that sacrifice, even just the willingness of it. Looking back up he considers the next step.

The next pair of buildings then to search?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#300 Post by hedgeknight »

wordoftheoracle wrote:Ioriston looks investigates the area for any residual magic before moving on to the ex-Druid.
A variety of old tools-tongs, bellows, hammers, and a pair of iron anvils-are scattered around the interior of this building. Looks to the remains on an old smithy.
Winter is coming...

Return to “Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)”