Out of Character Thread

#1 Post by Raven Crowking »

What it says on the tin.

jferngler
Tracker
Tracker

Maps!

#2 Post by jferngler »

So if I'm understanding correctly, we are no longer in the main hallway. We are in the hallway that left the second room heading east, or more correctly, in the room ten feet down that hallway, which probably reenters the main, east-bearing hallway. Is that right?

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Out of Character Thread

#3 Post by Raven Crowking »

You went out of the main hallway south, passed through a room to another hallway, and went north through another room. Maurice is now looking out the second door on the south wall of the first corridor. If you follow what I am saying.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by Raven Crowking »

On caveman's map, you left the first hallway and entered 2, then went to the eastern hallway off 3 (shown only as a kind of door on caveman's map). The first northward door there parallels 2, and leads back into the first hallway. (See page 3 of in-game thread).

jferngler
Tracker
Tracker

#5 Post by jferngler »

How long are we waiting before those skels chop my dudes to bits? I'm excited to see my new crew!

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Raven Crowking »

Since not everyone has bothered to reply, I will assume that their characters are still stunned.

XP are given for participating in encounters; not replying nets no XP!

jferngler
Tracker
Tracker

#7 Post by jferngler »

Level up stats:

“Toothy” Herman Longtooth Lawful Wizard LEVEL 1 XP 11
AC 9 HP 6 R -1 F 0 W 0
Str 11
Dex 6 -1
Con 9
Pers 6 -1
Int 7 -1
Luck 8 -1 Struck by lightning: -1 Reflex saves
Spells: Magic Shield (MM 63: Dinural/Nocturnal magic); Read Magic (MM 12: Magical Reverb); Invoke Patron/Patron Bond (MM 69: Skeletal Caster).

Avery Lawful Cleric LEVEL 1 XP 10
AC 11 HP 9 R +1 F 0 W +2
Str 5 -2
Dex 13 +1
Con 7 -1
Pers 14 +1
Int 5 -2
Luck 14 +1 Lived through famine: +1 Fort
Spells: Blessing; Holy Sanctuary; Detect Evil; Word of Command

Girt Lawful Cleric LEVEL 1 XP 10
AC 11 HP 10 R 0 F +1 W +1
Str 6 -1
Dex 12
Con 10
Pers 11
Int 9
Luck 9 Pack Hunter: 0-lvl attack/damage
Spells: Blessing; Protection from Evil; Food of the Gods; Paralysis

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by Raven Crowking »

Take a look at this thread, if you so desire, and provide feedback, if you so desire:

http://goodman-games.com/forums/viewtop ... 72&t=38227

Lord Zack
Strider
Strider

#9 Post by Lord Zack »

Uh... believe it or not I just rolled a 12 for Char's HP and a 6 for Alexatros's hp. That's pretty much the best luck in dice rolling I've had, ever. Now just watch us run into something that has an instakilll attack or something else for which hps don't matter...

Lord Zack
Strider
Strider

#10 Post by Lord Zack »

Here is a link to my character sheet.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by Raven Crowking »

Lord Zack wrote:Here is a link to my character sheet.
Thanks! Updated character sheets are always appreciated. However, I got an access error when I tried to follow the link.

I am running the Barrowmaze using both Labyrinth Lord and DCC. I have to admit, I like the feel of the place in the DCC system a lot more. For some reason, in LL there is more "decision paralysis".

caveman
Guide
Guide

#12 Post by caveman »

How much game system. How much players?
Knave: Cedric the Defrauded Outlaw
Level 1 HP 8 Armor Defense 12
Str 11 Dex 11 Con 13 Int 13 Wis 14 Cha 12
(sinewy broken-faced but rosy cheeked, oily pompador, frayed tunic, courteous manner, but irascible tendencies, and squeaky voiced)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/13hM ... sp=sharing

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by Raven Crowking »

caveman wrote:How much game system. How much players?
That's always hard to say, but I think I have good players in both games. :mrgreen:

I find that the DCC system makes me present creatures a bit differently, and the player expectations are a bit different. In both systems, one tries to keep the PCs alive, but in LL, I think, PC or even hireling death feels more like a loss of the game (rather than a loss in the game), if you follow me. And Barrowmaze is potentially very deadly, leading players potentially uncertain of what to do. Both games have felt like they've had good pacing, overall, though, so don't imagine that I'm complaining.

But there is a real difference between presenting "giant rats" and "rat-things", especially when, as the Judge, you want to ensure that the "rat-things" don't feel exactly the same as "giant rats". LL feels more tactical/strategic, DCC feels more like actual exploration because there is more unknown. (As a note, there is plenty of unexpected in Barrowmaze, though, and the LL players have already run into some real horror.....and, while I expanded on/ran with the lovers whispering together in our game, the real credit for that goes to Greg Gillespie, who wrote the module/setting.)

I think that the rule set is the real difference, to be honest. I can't be sure, but the rules just seem to evoke a certain kind of play.

caveman
Guide
Guide

#14 Post by caveman »

Cool. Im digging the game too, the im running into some niggles in my home game. Im really digging the Barrowmaze. Its alot if slow burn tension and now getting gnarly. I think it suits the pbm style of play. The undead lovers were cool.
Knave: Cedric the Defrauded Outlaw
Level 1 HP 8 Armor Defense 12
Str 11 Dex 11 Con 13 Int 13 Wis 14 Cha 12
(sinewy broken-faced but rosy cheeked, oily pompador, frayed tunic, courteous manner, but irascible tendencies, and squeaky voiced)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/13hM ... sp=sharing

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by Raven Crowking »

Glad you're enjoying this! I am, too. :D

jferngler
Tracker
Tracker

#16 Post by jferngler »

RC, I posted this up at the Goodman Games forum: http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 74&t=39119. A variant barbarian, mostly just an exercise in mechanics that aren't deed based. I don't know if you looked at it, but I know you're over there a bit. I would love your input on it. I like some of the mechanical ideas, and I know the class needs tweaks, but it's not worthless.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by Raven Crowking »

I'll try to take a look at it.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by Raven Crowking »

jferngler wrote:RC, I posted this up at the Goodman Games forum: http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 74&t=39119. A variant barbarian, mostly just an exercise in mechanics that aren't deed based. I don't know if you looked at it, but I know you're over there a bit. I would love your input on it. I like some of the mechanical ideas, and I know the class needs tweaks, but it's not worthless.
I took a look at it, and I hope what I wrote doesn't come across as harsh. But, before I can look at mechanics, I'd really like to have the core questions answered: Just what is a barbarian in this context? And why not just use the warrior?

The mechanics have to speak to those questions.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by Raven Crowking »

I've opened up a playtest forum for some DCC materials. If you are interested in joining me for a playtest of Bone Hoard of the Dancing Horror (2nd level DCC characters), let me know!

jferngler
Tracker
Tracker

#20 Post by jferngler »

I'm down.

Return to “DCC RPG Barrowmaze”