Out of Character Thread

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Out of Character Thread

#101 Post by beermotor »

Is it okay to choose spells for HP, or do you want me to randomly determine them? I randomly determined his languages and got some pretty crazy results... orc, minotaur, gnoll, and SPIDER. Wtf?

Let me know what you want me to do on the spells, and I'll get to rolling the MM. It's, uh, going to be... interesting ... with a 6 Luck. Heh.
Barrowmaze Map (by Grim Oddson and Gunnar Ottarson): Updated 03/14/13

Barrowmaze Characters (Active in Expedition 5):
Gunnar Ottarson (Dwarf 1): AC 16 HP 7/7
Daryll One-ear (Thief 1): AC 13 HP 4/4
Cisneros (Elf 1): AC 11 HP 6/6
Howard Phillipson (Wizard 1): AC 13 HP 5/9

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#102 Post by Raven Crowking »

beermotor wrote:Is it okay to choose spells for HP, or do you want me to randomly determine them? I randomly determined his languages and got some pretty crazy results... orc, minotaur, gnoll, and SPIDER. Wtf?

Let me know what you want me to do on the spells, and I'll get to rolling the MM. It's, uh, going to be... interesting ... with a 6 Luck. Heh.
Roll 'em.

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#103 Post by beermotor »

Ok, using my tables: d5 = 3 (2 offense, 2 utility)
Offense: 4 (Flaming Hands), 6 (Sleep) <---sweeeeeet
Utility: 6 (Mending), 1 (Animal Summoning) <---blaaaaargh

MM rolls:
Flaming Hands: 99!!! -10% = 89... Phase Out. After casting wizard is invisible and invulnerable, but can't attack/interact for 1d6+1 rounds. HOLY CRAP. That's awesome. Well, at least it could be awesome. It could also suck if he's being relied on. Awesome for HP, maybe not so awesome for party, heh.
Sleep: 30 -10% = 20. Rush of wind. 50% chance for torches between caster/target to go out.
Mending: 65 -10% = 55. No Change.
Animal Summoning: 44 -10% = 34. Thunderstruck. Flash/bang reveals caster's location to all within sight.

Actually not half bad. Need a ruling on the phase out ... can he still MOVE, as in like Lord of the Rings when Frodo puts on the ring and disappears? That'd be a nice way to get the heck out of dodge if needed.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#104 Post by Raven Crowking »

beermotor wrote:Ok, using my tables: d5 = 3 (2 offense, 2 utility)
Erm....No. I mean, "Roll 'em randomly from the book"; I do not assume a guarantee of an offensive, a defensive, etc.

Moreover, you only roll the MM result when the spell is actually learned. BTB, this takes 1 week per spell level, an Intelligence check (DC 10 + spell level) after that (to which your CL is a modifier), and then your MM is rolled based on your Luck at that point.

Alternatively: http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/2012/0 ... ls-on.html

Be aware that you are NOT stuck with the spells HP may initially be aware of; he could attempt to locate some other specific spell in order to learn that instead.

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#105 Post by beermotor »

Hmm, don't know that it matters. FWIW the tables I made are randomized. You roll first to see which chunks you get, then you roll in those subsets. It's just a nicer way than trying to roll d27. Also that's how I did Cisneros and you didn't complain! :-) I'm fine if you just want to roll them, don't care. As far as the learning thing... so this is an exception to the leveling up instantly idea?

So we have to actually get out (alive) and rest/study, eh? Anyway I know you're pretty hardcore and I dig it, but it's highly likely, maybe even probable, that a level 1 wizard only "learns" two spells b/c of a failed study. I just flipped through the book and didn't see that spelled out, although it does have some language to the effect of "just because your wizard has access to a spell doesn't mean he knows it, your judge will tell you how to check to see if he can learn it." That seems in direct conflict with the "randomly determine spells at level 1, representing years of study, etc."

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#106 Post by Raven Crowking »

Hmm, don't know that it matters. FWIW the tables I made are randomized. You roll first to see which chunks you get, then you roll in those subsets. It's just a nicer way than trying to roll d27. Also that's how I did Cisneros and you didn't complain! :-) I'm fine if you just want to roll them, don't care.
If the probabilities are exactly the same, I don't care. If not, well, clearly I should have been paying closer attention, and Cisneros gains from my inattention. Point me to your tables.
As far as the learning thing... so this is an exception to the leveling up instantly idea?
Nope. You level instantly and you instantly gain the ability to learn arcane spells. Learning them is a whole 'nother matter. Check pages 313-314.
So we have to actually get out (alive) and rest/study, eh? Anyway I know you're pretty hardcore and I dig it, but it's highly likely, maybe even probable, that a level 1 wizard only "learns" two spells b/c of a failed study.
Correct. On the other hand, open slots may be filled later. And you might discover a spell that you want more than your randomly determined ones.

It is conceivable to have a Wizard who doesn't learn any spells prior to 3rd level, in order to use all of his slots for 2nd+ level spells. Challenging to do, but not beyond the realm of possibility.
I just flipped through the book and didn't see that spelled out, although it does have some language to the effect of "just because your wizard has access to a spell doesn't mean he knows it, your judge will tell you how to check to see if he can learn it." That seems in direct conflict with the "randomly determine spells at level 1, representing years of study, etc."
No contradiction. Those years of study, etc., give the Wizard (or Elf) enough knowledge to try to learn the spells.

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#107 Post by beermotor »

Hmm, hadn't considered the idea of deferred learning. I like how you call it "challenging" haha... Mmm hmm.

Here's the link to the table. If you don't like, I'll just let you roll/randomly determine what he has access to. And I guess we'll re-roll the mercurial magic (sniiiiff).

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 75&t=42192

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#108 Post by Raven Crowking »

beermotor wrote:Hmm, hadn't considered the idea of deferred learning. I like how you call it "challenging" haha... Mmm hmm.

Here's the link to the table. If you don't like, I'll just let you roll/randomly determine what he has access to. And I guess we'll re-roll the mercurial magic (sniiiiff).

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 75&t=42192
Please roll off the table in the book.

May I suggest you use rollz.org, which can actually "roll" 1d27?

I believe that Invoke Patron and Patron Bond are listed separately on the table to increase your chances of getting this "Dynamic Duo".

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#109 Post by beermotor »

The text for Patron Bond says you automatically learn (or at least can have access to) Invoke Patron. So, I don't think it's cheating or anything. Whatevs.

Rolls: 12, 16, 10, 8. So, Find Familiar, Magic MIssile, Enlarge, Detect Magic. Arguably a WAAAAY more useful set of spells, heh. Actually, there's no arguing it, it's way better.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#110 Post by Raven Crowking »

beermotor wrote:The text for Patron Bond says you automatically learn (or at least can have access to) Invoke Patron. So, I don't think it's cheating or anything. Whatevs.
Not what I meant. What I meant was that Joe really wanted Patron Bond to be a major force in the game, and, hence, you get two chances to get Patron Bond/Invoke Patron over one chance for any other spell.
Rolls: 12, 16, 10, 8. So, Find Familiar, Magic MIssile, Enlarge, Detect Magic. Arguably a WAAAAY more useful set of spells, heh. Actually, there's no arguing it, it's way better.
I am very happy for you. Seriously. As chief bastard er, judge, it sometimes might seem that I am against the players. Really, I want them to succeed. I just won't intervene if they fail.

RC

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#111 Post by beermotor »

Raven Crowking wrote:
beermotor wrote:The text for Patron Bond says you automatically learn (or at least can have access to) Invoke Patron. So, I don't think it's cheating or anything. Whatevs.
Not what I meant. What I meant was that Joe really wanted Patron Bond to be a major force in the game, and, hence, you get two chances to get Patron Bond/Invoke Patron over one chance for any other spell.
Oh I see what you meant, sorry. Misunderstood.
Raven Crowking wrote:
beermotor wrote:Rolls: 12, 16, 10, 8. So, Find Familiar, Magic MIssile, Enlarge, Detect Magic. Arguably a WAAAAY more useful set of spells, heh. Actually, there's no arguing it, it's way better.
I am very happy for you. Seriously. As chief bastard er, judge, it sometimes might seem that I am against the players. Really, I want them to succeed. I just won't intervene if they fail.

RC
LIES! LIES! FILTHY CANADIAN LIES!

Actually I was looking over Read Magic and you know, it's arguably THE MOST USEFUL level 1 spell, next to maybe Detect Magic. The ability to read a spellbook and know what's in it... is there any other way to do it? Plus the runes and all of that.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#112 Post by Raven Crowking »

There are a lot of cool things that aren't immediately apparent in this game.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#113 Post by Dogma »

http://lurkingrhythmically.blogspot.com ... mically%29

I totally should have had Jonas worship this guy.

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#114 Post by beermotor »

Haha.... Nergal is too convenient and lets face it, poor Jed has a rough time with an 8 personality
:-)

Dumnbunny
Tracker
Tracker

#115 Post by Dumnbunny »

beermotor wrote:Haha.... Nergal is too convenient and lets face it, poor Jed has a rough time with an 8 personality
:-)
Lol, yeah, that 8 has had an effect :D .
Jed [AC: 14, HP: 9/10, Deity Disapproval: 1-2], Murq [AC: 13, 8/8]

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#116 Post by Dogma »

I was just joking anyways..plus it would be too much work to change it now :).

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#117 Post by beermotor »

I happen to be reading the Bible right now, and it struck me that Jed and Jonas have a strong resemblance to Moses and Aaron. Moses was the chosen one and the main intermediary between God and the Hebrews, but he wasn't a good speaker so God sent him Aaron to do the talking. This could be kind of the beginning of the new, revived Church of Nergal, dedicated to making sure the dead stay dead, and evil doesn't grow too powerful in the world.... !

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#118 Post by beermotor »

RavenCrowking maybe having internet connection issues again in ye olde frozen north. Itching to get this expedition wrapped up so HP can go study!

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#119 Post by Raven Crowking »

I was sick abed all yesterday.

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#120 Post by beermotor »

Oof sucks. Wife and kids were sick all last week, just now starting to get over it. I went and got meds Tuesday morning, feeling much better now. Hang in there... it's been a tough year so far on the sickness front.

Return to “DCC RPG Barrowmaze”