Session Strategy

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Session Strategy

#101 Post by Nuke66 »

ok, I am almost complete, just need to formulate a back ground, and I'll be ready to submit the *.doc character sheet. I will ponder the background for a bit

Omega1143
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#102 Post by Omega1143 »

Good deal guys. Looks like we may be ready to go by this weekend. Keep in mind I have tons of stuff to post here and to the website as well as details here and there that need tweaking so this will be evolving for a bit at first once we start. It should be fun.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Detect Magic or Charm Person

#103 Post by dmw71 »

I currently have Castien taking the following spells:

Detect Magic
Identify
Read Magic
Sleep

Since I almost never play magic users (in fact, this will be my first ever mage), does anyone think Charm Person would be more beneficial than Detect Magic? Both have practical uses, and Detect Magic was my first instinct as it, coupled with Identify could be a pretty cool combination, but I admit to being tempted to swap the two.

Thoughts?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Detect Magic or Charm Person

#104 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:I currently have Castien taking the following spells:

Detect Magic
Identify
Read Magic
Sleep

Since I almost never play magic users (in fact, this will be my first ever mage), does anyone think Charm Person would be more beneficial than Detect Magic? Both have practical uses, and Detect Magic was my first instinct as it, coupled with Identify could be a pretty cool combination, but I admit to being tempted to swap the two.

Thoughts?
I'm confused. You mean these are spells in your spell book? Or these are the spells you've prepared to cast for the day?
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#105 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:I'm confused. You mean these are spells in your spell book? Or these are the spells you've prepared to cast for the day?
My question was whether or not to include Charm Person instead of Detect Magic as a starting spell in Castien's spell book.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that a first level mage only has a single spell (from the four starting spells in their spell book) memorized per day.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#106 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:
Alethan wrote:I'm confused. You mean these are spells in your spell book? Or these are the spells you've prepared to cast for the day?
My question was whether or not to include Charm Person instead of Detect Magic as a starting spell in Castien's spell book.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that a first level mage only has a single spell (from the four starting spells in their spell book) memorized per day.
No, that is an accurate impression.

I guess I was questioning, then, the ability to pick spells without rolling the chance to know them. But I'm not terribly familiar with 2e; maybe MUs don't roll the % Chance to know a spell? (I don't know, is why I'm asking.) If they do, then before you can add a spell to your spell book, you have to roll your INT % Chance to know the spell you want to add, even if it is one of the spells you get to pick on your own. The only spell you don't make that roll for is your Read Magic spell. Any MU who can't cast Read Magic shouldn't be a MU.

I was always under the impression that rolling for knowing a spell was done even with the initial spell selection at first level. That rule might vary per GM, though.

Regardless, from a strategic point of view... do NOT take Detect Magic (or any overlapping Cleric/MU non-offensive spells, for that matter) if you can pick an offensive spell in it's stead when you have a cleric in the party who can also cast the spell. The cleric has much more flexibility when it comes to spell selection, and the chance to cast multiple spells per day, even at first level.

In this case, Quoros can cast three first level spells per day. And he can cast from the Divination sphere, so he can cast Detect Magic. (Omega said there would be no sphere limitations in his rules; I've placed the limitation, myself, on what spheres Quoros can use based on the list of spells provided for followers of St. Cuthbert.) So I would recommend not taking Detect Magic.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#107 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:
dmw71 wrote:My question was whether or not to include Charm Person instead of Detect Magic as a starting spell in Castien's spell book.

No, that is an accurate impression.

I guess I was questioning, then, the ability to pick spells without rolling the chance to know them... I was always under the impression that rolling for knowing a spell was done even with the initial spell selection at first level. That rule might vary per GM, though.
I wondered about this as well, but Heath said starting spells were automatic and no 'chance to know each spell' was required.
Regardless, from a strategic point of view... do NOT take Detect Magic (or any overlapping Cleric/MU non-offensive spells, for that matter) if you can pick an offensive spell in it's stead when you have a cleric in the party who can also cast the spell. The cleric has much more flexibility when it comes to spell selection, and the chance to cast multiple spells per day, even at first level.
In that case, I'm glad I asked. I will almost certainly lose Detect Magic in favor of Charm Person.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#108 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:I wondered about this as well, but Heath said starting spells were automatic and no 'chance to know each spell' was required.
Ah, then that explains it! Like I said, it can vary by GM. That's very cool. Nothing worse than trying to play one of the hardest low-level characters in the game and then getting stuck with some sh***y/useless spells.
dmw71 wrote:In that case, I'm glad I asked. I will almost certainly lose Detect Magic in favor of Charm Person.
Excellent! Charm Person is incredibly useful. Followers of Cuthbert get a similar 2nd level spell called Beguile, but I don't think it has nearly the same time length (might just be something like 2d10 rounds?).

Omega1143
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#109 Post by Omega1143 »

Yes. Beginning spells in the spell book are automatically learned and are part of your background being such. Any further spells once we start will be rolled for to be learned.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#110 Post by dmw71 »

Omega1143 wrote:Yes. Beginning spells in the spell book are automatically learned and are part of your background being such. Any further spells once we start will be rolled for to be learned.
Heath, I did officially make the change. I updated the online character sheet, but are you okay to update the character sheet I submitted to you (and supporting website), or do you need me to update and send it to you as well?
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#111 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:Excellent! Charm Person is incredibly useful. Followers of Cuthbert get a similar 2nd level spell called Beguile, but I don't think it has nearly the same time length (might just be something like 2d10 rounds?).
I hope so. I figure the languages Castien took will hopefully help him with the spell by increasing his potential victims. :D

I actually misunderstood the spell originally. The duration is based upon the victims Intelligence, not Castien's. It actually turns out to be much better than I originally thought!
-- Project --
-- DM --

Omega1143
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#112 Post by Omega1143 »

Ill update it. You still kept the two I made you take right?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#113 Post by dmw71 »

Omega1143 wrote:Ill update it. You still kept the two I made you take right?
Thanks. And yes, I did keep the two you assigned to me. I'm simply changing my mind on one of my selections, taking Charm Person instead of Detect Magic.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Omega1143
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#114 Post by Omega1143 »

Xax and Saal your PC's are now up on the website. I will PM you both your adventure beginning explaining why you are in the region shortly. Get me backgrounds when you can. Now up to Nuke and we can start.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#116 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:
Omega1143 wrote: "I think we should aim for about eight hours rest."
"Will that be sufficient?" Castien wonders aloud. "I know, in order for me to recover my ability to cast magics, I need a good six hours of sleep. I imagine the requirements are the same for the men of faith. He performs some calculations in his head. "By my count, we have three --" He looks at Cole "-- or maybe four spell casters in our group. We'd need at least twelve hours, two six hour shifts, in order for everyone to regain their abilities."

Determined to get the nighttime procedures underway as soon as possible. "If anyone has anyone has any abilities they'd like to use today, now would be a good time to do it.

Cole, I take first watch with you, for six hours. Gandrel, Quoros, you two get your needed rest during that time. If we're able to rouse either Ausus or Karl, perhaps they could bridge the gap and allow Cole and myself to get our required rest time as well.
"
Well... hmmm.

A) Does a MU need to re-memorize spells every morning, even if they didn't cast their memorized spells the day before? According to Page 43 (right-hand column) of the 2e Player Guide...
2e Player Guide wrote: Before a wizard can actually cast a spell, he must memorize its arcane formula. This locks an energy pattern for that particular spell into his mind. Once he has the spell memorized, it remains in his memory until he uses the exact combination of gestures, words, and materials that triggers the release of this energy pattern. Upon casting, the energy of the spell is spent, wiped clean from the wizard's mind. The wizard cannot cast that spell again until he returns to his spell book and memorizes it again.
So, if Gandrel hasn't used his memorized spell for the day, then he shouldn't have to re-memorize it. That's how I read that, anyway.

B) Whether or not that is the case (it really only becomes useful if we have two casters who don't need to re-memorize), maybe we could stage the shifts to make sure everyone who needs 6 hours of rest gets it.

Group the shifts up like so:
Cast & Cole (3 hours)
Ausus & Karl (3 hours)
Quoros & Gandrel (3 hours)

Cast and Cole stay up first and Quoros and Gandrel get six hours of sleep. When Cast and Cole are done with their shifts, they can also get six hours of sleep.

That way, we only spend 9 hours resting. Not quite as good as 8, but better than 12.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#117 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:A) Does a MU need to re-memorize spells every morning, even if they didn't cast their memorized spells the day before?
I wouldn't think so, unless they want to change their memorized spell.
Alethan wrote:B) Whether or not that is the case, maybe we could stage the shifts to make sure everyone who needs 6 hours of rest gets it.

Group the shifts up like so:
Cast & Cole (3 hours)
Ausus & Karl (3 hours)
Quoros & Gandrel (3 hours)

Cast and Cole stay up first and Quoros and Gandrel get six hours of sleep. When Cast and Cole are done with their shifts, they can also get six hours of sleep.
That would be great... except for the fact that, currently, both Ausus and Karl are is currently unconscious. You should have one spell left and could revive one of them, but the non-recipient (Ausus) won't be able to take a shift during the overnight watch.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#118 Post by Alethan »

Well... poo.

For future reference, then!

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#119 Post by saalaria »

Gandrel is not changing his spell so happy to do a longer shift on watch

Agree with Ath for future reference...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#120 Post by dmw71 »

saalaria wrote:Agree with Ath for future reference...
Agreed. We just need to keep everyone upright going forward. :D
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Tavern Tales”