POWAH!

Re: OOC Posting

#21 Post by Alethan »

That sounds good.

Any thoughts on the 2nd row?

(Thief)
(Fighter) (Fighter/Cleric)
(Fighter/Mage) (Mage)

Sorry, too late for names and I'm going more for concept, anyway...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by saalaria »

I agree with Ath and for single file

Gandrel
Quoros
Aus
Cast
Karl

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#23 Post by Alethan »

Alethan wrote:That sounds good.

Any thoughts on the 2nd row?

(Thief)
(Fighter) (Fighter/Cleric)
(Fighter/Mage) (Mage)

Sorry, too late for names and I'm going more for concept, anyway...

lol... what the heck did I write last night??

Not sure what I meant by "the 2nd row". Oh, except that I had written something down at some point and then deleted it, so maybe it had to do with that.

Anyway, the above was my suggestion for Marching Order in the wider corridor (10'). And, obviously, it was waaaay too late for me to be doing something like that, because I didn't even get all of the classes in the party right.

We have:
MU
Fighter
Fighter/Cleric
Fighter
Mage/Thief

So... let's revise what I wrote earlier:

(mage/thief)
(fighter)(fighter/cleric)
(fighter)(mu)

That looks better...

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by saalaria »

Hmmm - should I be scared/worried I understood you??!!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#25 Post by dmw71 »

saalaria wrote:Hmmm - should I be scared/worried I understood you??!!
:lol: Yes, perhaps you should!
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#26 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:(mage/thief)
(fighter)(fighter/cleric)
(fighter)(mu)
No problem with this for the 10' wide corridor.

However, it just occurred to me that Ausus is wielding a large two handed sword. Maybe it would be best for him to be closer to the front so, should a situation arise, he will be able to advance and enter a conflict in a way that will best allow him to use his weapon while not interfering with the positioning of the other fighters.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#27 Post by Alethan »

So something more like this then?

(mage/thief)
(fighter/cleric)(fighter.a)
(fighter.k)(mu)

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by Nuke66 »

Put me anywhere, I'm easy, but I do not really want to be next to that big two-hander when he rolls a 1.

Weapon in hand is the Long Sword, since he is specialized

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by saalaria »

All -I assume you are happy to do as Cole asks and remain a way behind him. What do you reckon - 50 foot?
Ideally I would like to scout around the building if the opportunity presents itself.
We also need to work on some hand signals dont we?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#30 Post by Alethan »

saalaria wrote:All -I assume you are happy to do as Cole asks and remain a way behind him. What do you reckon - 50 foot?
Ideally I would like to scout around the building if the opportunity presents itself.
We also need to work on some hand signals dont we?
Yeah, staying a ways back is fine by me. Let him set off any traps on the trail. :)

Scouting an alternate entrance other than that rickety looking moat bridge might not be a bad idea. I guess it depends on what he plans on doing. Is he going to just march right in? Or... ? Who knows.

Hand signals would be a bit hard to see in the dark, even with infravision... I've always thought of it as "rough" or vague (more like what you see in an infrared camera than what you see in a night-vision camera). But then Quoros doesn't have keen elven ears or hawk-like elven eyesight. :) I suppose as long as the distance wasn't too great it would work.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#31 Post by saalaria »

Re hand signals/darkness - yes more of a general comment for any time in the adventure and not necessarily right now. I agree it would be abit tricky in the dark!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#32 Post by dmw71 »

I hope holding off on casting sleep isn't going to be a mistake. :oops:

viewtopic.php?f=37&p=11141#p11141

I didn't want to render myself useless after the very first encounter, but I definitely won't hesitate to still use it if things aren't looking good. (I suddenly remember why I never liked playing magic users).
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#33 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:(I suddenly remember why I never liked playing magic users).
Yep. It's like you're piking the first few levels until you become much more useful.

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#34 Post by Xaxyx »

Knowing when to "blow your wad" as a magic-user is indeed tricky business. Generally, I'll hold my Sleep until a situation is very clearly dire -- overwhelming numbers, for example. Half a dozen orcs or a dozen kobolds can be pretty ugly for a party of five. A few frogs, on the other hand, I think we should be able to handle, if we've any mustard on our sandwiches.

Of course, standard disclaimer: it's your character; use him as you will. :)

Omega1143
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#35 Post by Omega1143 »

If I may chime in...

The couple groups I've been in during tabletop play during the years had a different view on the magic user totally. We never viewed him as weak and useless at the early levels. We were pretty role play heavy even during combat encounters and the magic user to us was more like a general being the eyes and ears for the group as well as directing traffic during combat until he reached the higher levels to be effective with spell casting. It's impossible if you have a DM that runs campaign combat like a chore rather then a detailed encounter (ie. frog attacks Joe, Joe take 2 damage). Having said that I'm not sure what you all are used to based on your experience with various DM's over the years. There is much more to combat then that especially when you use your perception and listening skills. In realistic combat a fighter for example will more then likely be zoned in on his opponent and miss the blind side flail coming in or the reinforcements entering the fray from the woods. Think about that a little if you have a PC who isn't predominantly a melee hack and slasher. The experience will be much more fulfilling and it creates good memories of epic battles however small and insignificant they may look on paper if you are creative and not hiding in a corner hoping for it to be over so you can collect easy experience points. Magic-users can be VERY powerful ESPECIALLY at the higher levels and if not multi-classed. In my experience it's the second most important backbone character of a gaming group behind a cleric and in front of a paladin at least with the awesome gaming groups I've been a part of.

Also, I'm loving your guys posts during this first combat even when it's not your turn. It adds flavor and gives me an idea of what you the player are thinking and anticipating what your PC may do. That helps me flesh out a more realistic combat and make it more fun for all. It's not giving away anything or altering my monsters actions. I'm fair and run my monsters alot based on intelligence levels and putting myself in their shoes. It's not a me vs. you scenario :) Good job!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#36 Post by dmw71 »

Omega1143 wrote:If I may chime in...
I think you're entitled. ;)
Omega1143 wrote:We never viewed him [magic user] as weak and useless at the early levels. We were pretty role play heavy even during combat encounters and the magic user to us was more like a general being the eyes and ears for the group as well as directing traffic during combat until he reached the higher levels to be effective with spell casting.
There is much more to combat then that especially when you use your perception and listening skills. In realistic combat a fighter for example will more then likely be zoned in on his opponent and miss the blind side flail coming in or the reinforcements entering the fray from the woods.
This is actually very helpful. It's also possible if you're able to keep providing detailed scenarios for us to respond to. I know I will be sure to try to report Castien's actions in as much detail as possible.

I hope my "useless" comments weren't taken too seriously. Castien wasn't about to cast his spell then return to the Inn to leave everyone else to fend for themselves. He is aware that he is limited in combat and does plan to be careful (realizing a single hit will most likely strike him down), but does not plan on disappearing.

- Dave
-- Project --
-- DM --

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by saalaria »

Interestingly we all seem to be in a similar boat in terms of probably not surviving a single hit! I am intrigued to see how it pans out - I think 6 frogs is a tough encounter for us . We will soon see if we have a nice dm or not!
I think it will be quite an achievement to reach second level!

Omega1143
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#38 Post by Omega1143 »

In regards to that Sal, keep in mind I'm fair but don't let emotion get in the way of dice rolls and proper role playing of NPC's and creatures. I was always brought up playing in a living breathing non-linear world through the years by an excellent DM I model my DM'ing after. Meaning this...You may not be able to defeat everything via combat and role playing is essential for PC survival. Depending on your choices (which are limitless based on my worlds because I am very prepared) some encounters may prove to hard until you have the proper leveling or HP's or party size or whatever. Again, I'm not sure what you guys are used to in the past but you are not required to go down a certain path even if you committed to it originally. That's what's fun about an rpg. For example, if you feel you need to clear out a goblin lair for experience before tackling the next part to your main quest, then seek one out. If you need a side job for gold to purchase a masterwork weapon or scroll, then take one. If you need to hire a bad ass NPC to be a punching bag then go for it. Be creative. I like curve balls just as much as you. It makes my job fun. It will be an achievement to level and acquire magic items on my campaigns. If it were too easy or impossible then it's no fun. I enjoyed earning what I got when I played :)

Omega1143
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#39 Post by Omega1143 »

Is Karl/Nuke MIA?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#40 Post by dmw71 »

Omega1143 wrote:Is Karl/Nuke MIA?