Chapter 3: The Monastery at Dimwater

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 3: The Monastery at Dimwater

#361 Post by Mant72 »

The group huddles around the west gate to examine the corroded lock and the strange, iridescent scale, wondering what can be made of each.

Hex inquires if the lock can be picked, and if not, possibly broken. Kragg, Phineas, and Aric step forward to oblige.

As Kragg and Phineas assess the lock, Aric stands ready to assist in case the thieves' subtle approach falls short. In the meantime, the great northman continues to study the gnoll tracks, trying to determine how many of the wretched creatures scaled the gate. He is uncertain as to any specific number; however, he guesses that anywhere between 4-7 gnolls made their way onto the monastery grounds, and their tracks seem relatively fresh.

Kragg tries his hand at picking the lock, but the mechanism proves to be too corroded for the dwarven rogue to disengage. Seeing that Kragg is unsuccessful, Phineas decides to have a turn at tinkering with the lock himself. Large flakes of rust fall from the massive padlock as it finally clicks open and lands upon the muddy ground. Having successfully picked the lock, Phineas straightens from his performance and follows with an extravagant flourish and bow.

Wil vigilantly stands guard over the group, while Yon bends down to retrieve the strange scale. The young acolyte turns it over in his hands, examining how it shimmers in the morning sunlight, trying to determine if it was once part of some living creature. The wise priest is convinced that it was indeed part of a living creature at some point and not simply just a loose piece of armor or shield.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#362 Post by Storm11 »

Hex congratulates his fellow halfling at his craft and moves to look at the scale. "Any ideas as to what it's from and where specifically?" the long haired illusionist queries of the cleric?
Greys Campaign.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#363 Post by coil23 »

Osprey Palearctic, elven fighter/magic-user

...is just going to be insufferable... Osprey mutters under his breath. Now that the lock has been removed he checks the gate to ensure it will swing open enough to let everyone through if they need a hasty escape route.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#364 Post by Mant72 »

Osprey tries pushing open the unlocked gate to ensure that the group has an alternate exit if the need arises. The task is not as easy as it initially seems, for the gate has not been used in many years. The corroded iron screeches, grinds, and groans in loud protest as the elf finally manages to wedge it open just enough for the group to gain access.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#365 Post by Inferno »

P.T. Codswallop, halfling impresario:

His little chest puffed out with pride, Phineas says, "There. Now where to, gentlemen?" as he looks yet again at the temple.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#366 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Ha... I don't think I worded my last post too clearly. I meant for Yon to try to assess whether the scale was very dried out, like it had been off a creature for some time, in which case the gnolls may have been using it as armor or shield, or whether it looked fresh, like it had just dropped off the creature, in which case he'd assume it was from some sort of pet. Maybe that's something a cleric just wouldn't be able to tell by looking...
Yon responds to Hex, unhelpfully: "My guess is an... overgrown...um... lizard. Of some sort. I really have no expertise in these matters, I'm afraid. It doesn't look good, though. What do you make of it?" He readies his lasso and looks to Aric. "Shall we explore the garden? Do the Gnoll tracks lead in there? It just looks all muddled to me."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#367 Post by coil23 »

We could move on to the garden here.

Osprey glances around the grounds again to see if anything looks amiss then begins looking at the overgrown garden just north of the side gate.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#368 Post by Storm11 »

Hex nods as he listens to the learned cleric, looking at the iridescent scale and marvelling at it. "I have never heard of scales that are so vibrant from such a sizeable land creature. Perhaps a giant lizard of some kind, even a fiery version, perhaps. Dangerous no doubt. That garden looks full of danger. I saw it on my scouting previously."

The multi-hued hobbit moves onwards, circling the fenced area and peering within, trying to locate a path or any movement from within.
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#369 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kragg grumbles irritation clearly shown on his luck lately "Damn God's ain't helping me to show my skills guess they're getting a good laugh making me look the part of a fool."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#370 Post by Grognardsw »

Aric paces around the edge of the garden to see if it is worth entering.

"I don't see the crook."

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#371 Post by Mant72 »

The group makes their way around the low gate that houses the overgrown garden, looking for points of interest. The vegetation is quite thick and not much can be seen of its interior; however, a statue sculpted into the likeness of a cat rises a few feet above the garden trees; it looks to be about 12 feet tall, and the roof of a wooden shed can also be seen just a little north of the statue.

A small gate marks the garden's entrance.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (396.48 KiB) Viewed 563 times

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#372 Post by Storm11 »

Hex looks within and shudders. "Moving through that tangle is going to prove most difficult, and the opportunity for ambush could be massive. I think I will keep guard out here, yes indeedy." he says nervously
Greys Campaign.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#373 Post by ravenn4544 »

Wil examines the gate and peers through to see if any immediate risk is present. Is there a complicated lock or simple latch?

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#374 Post by Mant72 »

It is just latched closed without a lock.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#375 Post by ravenn4544 »

Wil unlatches the gate and pushes it open slowly and waits and listens to anyone in the garden who may be interested in the act.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#376 Post by coil23 »

Osprey looks into the garden to gauge how difficult it would be to make his way to the statue.

You know, this may quickly get tedious and repetitive but I am wondering if we should be trying that Lunia pendant with different things we find in this monastery to see if it may be a key or trigger for something. The first experiment might be with that statue.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#377 Post by ravenn4544 »

Wil agrees "excellent suggestion!"

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#378 Post by Grognardsw »

Aric the barbariam will reluctantly follow if the majority go in the garden.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#379 Post by Inferno »

P.T. Codswallop, halfling impresario:

Phineas frowns at the impenetrable tangle of overgrown vegetation. "Nature! What could be more vexing and pestiferous?!"

He'll stay with the group, despite their preference for thorns and briars over soft-cushioned thrones of gold, like those, no doubt, of the temple that was so temptingly close and yet so far away.

"What a calamitous shame this gate wasn't locked!" he grouses to himself.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#380 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kragg "I'll guard the perimeter while you guys go check things out." the dwarf sometimes thief says as the others go about playing in nature.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Return to “The Monastery at Dimwater (1ed)”