Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

01: The Outsider (Scott308)

#1 Post by Fulci »

======================================================
3/6/2117 - 20:10
Characters: Zack Lofftin (Scott308)

The encounter with Max Rokossovsky leaves Zack with a bitter aftertaste. Of course, most things do lately. Zack steps into the elevator. Which level should he go to? Aren't they all they same?
elevator.jpg
elevator.jpg (88.62 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: 01: The Outsider (Scott308)

#2 Post by Scott308 »

Zachariah "Zack" Lofftin

Getting on the elevator, Zack punches the button for the third level. After his nap, he's interested in getting something to eat. Even though he knows the different colors of glop are all pretty much the same, there is something about the green soylent, some special ingredient, that makes it seem to taste better than the rest.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by Fulci »

Live from the Vault kitchen: cafeteria technician Roman supervises the manufacture of the Dwellers' favorite snack:
It's rush hour in the cafeteria. There are at least two dozen Vault Dwellers queuing up for their daily fix of soys, soylents, nutrisnacks and vita-jellies. Looks like a good 10-minute wait. The queue terminates at the main desk, where the aquiline-nosed cafeteria technician Roman is holding court, exchanging standard food for food stamps, exquisite food for favors and little gifts...

Zack sees Victoria sitting at a corner table, alone - or no, not alone, probably, there's Quincy too, discussing some things of utmost importance with Roman. Then he heads back to Victoria's table and sits down. The two start chatting, and it doesn't take much empathy to understand that they are hitting it off. When was the last time Zack had a meaningful conversation with Victoria and Quincy? Feels like ages.

Roman notices Zack from across the cafeteria hall and gestures to him 'come over here, man!'
I really like Soylent Green too, so I've decided to give Roman Charlton Heston's face!! Lucky coincidence, good old Charlton has an impressive nose as well...
Zack knows, that when Roman is not adding water to instant jelly powders, he runs what is basically the Vault black market. It's up to you to decide whether Zack had any dealings with him before. Please, describe Zack's relation with Roman in your post! You can make up facts about both him and your own character.
G A M E S :

Scott308

#4 Post by Scott308 »

Zachariah "Zack" Lofftin

Zack sees Roman gesture to have him come over and raises his hand in acknowledgement before walking over behind the counter and dishing up his own food, ignoring the angry comments from those in line who waited patiently only to see that lowlife garbage burner jump the line. Hey, Roman, he says quietly to avoid being overheard, I had some Med-X for you, but it got taken away. I'll keep an eye out for anything I think you'd be interested in. So, what's up? While not a hardened criminal, Zack is not above palming something if the opportunity presents itself. For the last few years, he had bought, sold or traded a number of things with Roman, from better food all the way up to stim packs. There were also a few pictures of the Overseer he found one day. They were old, but still something the Overseer would be very unhappy if she knew they had not been destroyed like she thought.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by Fulci »

Roman waves the other cafeteria technician over to the counter to take his place, then goes back to the kitchen / storage area, inviting Zack along. There he rummages a bit, getting a few items (canned produces, by the look of it), then carefully locks the container. When he's done, he finally turns to Zack.

"Don't sweat. I get pills from that young doc. You know him. He owes me," he says, lifting up the exquisite foodstocks as an explanation, then placing them on a nearby table.

"Gross has something that belongs to me," he finally gets down to business. "I want it back."

He takes out a small, oblong black case from his pocket. "Looks like this. Switch it out, bring me the other. I'll owe you big time. What do you say?"
G A M E S :

Scott308

#6 Post by Scott308 »

Zachariah "Zack" Lofftin

Zack looks at the black case that Roman is holding. Wow, that is...Gross, huh? I don't know, Roman. He exhales sharply as he rubs his eyes. That is gonna be difficult. Where does he have it? What exactly am I going after? I don't know if I can do this.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Fulci »

It is a small case, made of black plastic, approximately 5 inches long. It has no labels.

"Crazy, huh?"

"He keeps it in his desk. I'll make it worth. But I understand if you're not down to this. I'll look for other ways to get it back. It is my private thing."
G A M E S :

Scott308

#8 Post by Scott308 »

Zachariah "Zack" Lofftin

Is Gross' schedule something that would be common knowledge or at least something Zack could find out easily? I'm assuming he doesn't live in his office. Are the hours printed on the door?

Zack reaches out and takes the case from Roman, quickly hiding it in his pocket. When do you need this by? I've gotta be really careful. Stealing something from Gross' office- if I get caught, it'll be really bad. I don't know how long it'll take before I get a good opportunity

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by Fulci »

"Don't get caught," says Roman with a weird, cruel smile. "If Gross catches you, you can tell him it's for me. But not to anybody else. I'm sure Gross confiscated stuff from you in the past."

The Vault officials all have the same schedule, corresponding to the day shift: from 8 AM till 8 PM. In this interval, they are either at their office, or wherever duty calls them. Gross usually stays at his office until 20:20, 20:30, to control the change of shifts and security guards, Zack knows this from Max, then spends some time at the cafeteria or the community area, before heading over to his bedroom. Most Vault officials have their bedrooms in the living quarters. Only the Vault Overseer, Dr. Munro lives (sleeps) in a small room opening from her office.
G A M E S :

Scott308

#10 Post by Scott308 »

Zachariah "Zack" Lofftin

If Gross catches me, tell him it's for you, not a word to anyone else. Got it. Zack will finish his dinner and the make his way to the security office, aiming to arrive shortly after 9pm. He doesn't want to have anyone see him entering the office, so if anyone is nearby he will continue on, circling back later. Assuming nobody is there, he will try to listen at the door. If he hears nothing, he will go in. He has a security card that he "found" a while back - that is how he was able to hang out near the vault exit. He doesn't know how much access it will grant him, he hasn't used it very often.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by Fulci »

3/6/2117 - 20:50

Zack has done risky stuff before, but this is something completely different. He proceeds with maximum caution. At around 20:30 Gross leaves his office, gets some jelly-to-go and a couple of energy bars in the cafeteria and takes the elevator, presumably to Level 2, where his room is (it is standard Vault practice to assign offices and living quarters on different levels, to increase "walking time". The studies of Dr. Barnes show that this actually helps, creates an illusion of NOT being confined to an underground concrete box).

As time goes by, there are less and less people on the corridors. Most Dwellers go to their rooms to read or listen to the Vault Radio. A thrilling episode of "Dick Barton, Special Agent" is broadcast today, a "new" episode, courtesy of Linda McKinney, Entertainment Division Overseer (dialogues spliced up and slightly changed, with a different conclusion cut into from another show). The heroics of Dick Barton never really captured Zack.

But finally, the coast is clear. The corridor is empty, there are no sounds in the room. Mario, one of the Vault security guards, a 40-ish guy, starts his first check of the Night Shift - Zack knows that it will keep him away for at least 30 minutes.

Zack tries the security card: the reader beeps, recognizes it, but doesn't grant access. The Vault doors aren't 100% electronic: the keycard only gives a signal to the lock, which is itself a mechanic device. Zack has to deal with the lock manually.

Please, roll for Lockpicking!
G A M E S :

Scott308

#12 Post by Scott308 »

Zachariah "Zack" Lofftin

After making sure nobody was around, and the nightshift security guard had begun his patrol, Zack moved in to break into the office of Security Overseer William Gross. What the hell did I let Roman get me into? he thinks to himself, as he uses his security card to activate the lock. This is stupid. I'm gonna get caught, and I'm going to get into real trouble this time. I should have said no. I probably can't even get into his- Zack's train of though stops suddenly, as the bobby pin he was using as a lock pick seems to find the groove with a satisfying click. I'll be damned. It actually worked!
Zack gives one quick look around to make sure nobody has approached while he was working. When he is sure the coast is clear, he cracks the door and slips into the office. He will wait a few moments, listening to make sure there isn't some unexpected presence in the office before turning on his Pip-Boy and trying to find the object of Roman's.

Edited to make the thought bubbles easier to read.
Last edited by Scott308 on Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by Fulci »

Please, don't use that color, it's hard to read against a light grey background! ;) Maybe a darker shade of green?

3/6/2117 - 20:51

The Security Overseer's office is a well-kept, clean place. There's nobody inside. A simple rectangular room, with the minimum of furniture: a desk with drawers, a shelf by the wall next to the door, containing a row of Vault-Tec manuals and handbooks, but also a couple of volumes with adventure stories on loan from Entertainment. Behind the desk is a sturdy-looking metallic locker and a filing cabinet. Zack presumes that the locker is used to store some pieces of the Vault's weaponry.

The Pip Boys issued to the Dwellers of Vault 14 have no scanner functions (is that what you wanted it for?), so Zack relies on his unenhanced, though pretty sharp senses in his undertaking.

Roman said that Gross probably keeps the object in his desk, so Zack checks it first. The desk has a computer built into it (currently off) with a high speed holodisk reader. There are quite a few items on the desk: a yellow notepad with a few words scribbled onto it (Gross' handwriting is not very good, something about ""), a pre-war figurine depicting a soldier in camouflage, a framed photo of Roxanne, Gross' wife. A heap of various print-outs is scattered over the surface of the desk.

Zack tries the single drawer of the desk. It isn't locked, so the young cat burglar carefully pulls it open. Inside he sees a half-full (or half-empty...) box of strawberry soy bricks, a pocket calculator, some more papers with printouts. There are also several manila folders, the top one bearing the label "V-OS". Stuck between the soy snacks and the wall of the drawer he sees a little black box or case, likely the one Roman wants.
G A M E S :

Scott308

#14 Post by Scott308 »

Zachariah "Zack" Lofftin

Using the light function on his Pip Boy, Zack looks around the Overseer's office. Since he has found the case, he will switch it out for the one Roman gave him to plant in its place. Despite his curiosity, Zack will just pocket the item, not making any attempt to look at what exactly he was asked to retrieve. He will, however, take a moment to look in the folder labeled "V-OS." It looks important, and if he can get some important information, it might be worth something to the right person.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by Fulci »

3/6/2117 - 20:55

Zack quickly switches out the cases and turns his attentions to the folders. He reckons that "V-OS" might mean "Vault Overseer", but he never cared about Vault bureaucracy and filing systems. He opens the folder. Inside, there are three photographs. They are grainy, black and white, but the paper they are printed on seems recent. Small details are hard to make out, but overall the quality is okay:
All three photos were taken of the same place, from the same angle.

1. The first photo shows a couple of small buildings, built from scrap, all kinds of materials are incorporated: ruins of previous buildings, metal sheets, wooden planks. One of the houses looks a bit better than the others, Zack recognizes it from one of those "Pre-War Culture" lessons as a "mobile home". In the background, there are blackened, burnt trees, without leaves. A few human figures can be seen walking around the houses.
There is a date on the photo: 14/3/2111
photo 1.jpg
photo 1.jpg (170.53 KiB) Viewed 962 times
2. There are people standing before the houses on the second photo. They are much closer, so Zack can see it better, that they are dressed in rags. They are holding up various signs, crude boards, with writings on them. "We need meds", "We are starving", "Let us in", etc.
The photo is dated to 21/12/2113
photo 2.jpg
photo 2.jpg (174.81 KiB) Viewed 962 times
3. On the third photo, people are towing a HUGE piece of machinery Zack cannot recognize. It looks like a bulldozer of sorts, with an enormous attachment on its front, made up of circular metallic discs with blades on them. Some of the people around the machinery seem to be carrying rifles.
The photo is dated to 21/5/2117
photo 3.jpg
photo 3.jpg (180.11 KiB) Viewed 962 times
G A M E S :

Scott308

#16 Post by Scott308 »

Zachariah "Zack" Lofftin

Zack will take a look at the photos and then return them to the folder. Before leaving, he will snatch the top sheet off the notepad and stuff it in his pocket (not the same one holding Roman's item). Moving carefully to prevent making noise, Zack will approach the door, turning his light off when he gets there. Listening at the door, he will make sure he doesn't hear anyone on the other side before slowly turning the knob and opening it a crack. When he can confirm there is nobody there, he will slip out the door and walk away. If he is able to lock the door without having a key, he will do so. He wants to find a secluded spot to look at what he just acquired. Hmm. That place with the trees and plants should be quiet at this time of night. I think I'll go there.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by Fulci »

The vault has sliding doors with levers as handles. Zack opens the door just a crack, and carefully scans the corridor. He has to wait for Danny, one of the night shift cleaning staff to pass by, after which he can safely step out of the office. He tries to lock the door, but, unfortunately, he cannot figure out the reverse mechanic so quickly.So he just pulls the door closed. Hopefully Gross will just chalk this up to a minor malfunction.

"Hi, Zack," he hears a voice from the end of the corridor: it's Danny, the cleaner. He is nice fellow (maybe too nice, for Zack's taste), always friendly with everybody. He waves at Zack, then gets back to moping the floor tiles. He probably only noticed Zack just now, and didn't see him coming out of the office.

Let's wait a bit to see what happens down at the Hydroponics! I will wait for a few exchanges between the other players.

In the meantime, maybe you want to go and see Roman? This is up to you.
G A M E S :

Scott308

#18 Post by Scott308 »

Zachariah "Zack" Lofftin

Zack's whole purpose in heading to the Hydroponics was that it would be very likely devoid of other vault dwellers. He wanted to see what is in the box, but wanted to go to a secluded location to do so. If he has to wait, it will defeat the purpose, so he will move on with a new course of action.

Despite being extremely curious as to the contents of the pilfered container, Zack is also very afraid of getting caught with the item. Discretion is the better part of valor, so Zack will try to get it to Roman as quickly as he can.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by Fulci »

Zack reasons that Roman might still be at the cafeteria, cleaning the machines after his shift, maybe mixing up some soylents for tomorrow. He goes back and, indeed, finds Roman in the "kitchen", hunched over some apparatus (resembling a washing-machine or even a cement mixer), adding doses of various powders and solutions to the mix. He looks at Zack and raises an eyebrow, as if saying - "so, you got it?"
G A M E S :

Scott308

#20 Post by Scott308 »

Zachariah "Zack" Lofftin

Seeing Roman is still at work, Zack will head straight to the back room where Roman first recruited him to grab the box. When Roman follows, Zack will make sure nobody else is around before wordlessly taking the package from his pocket and placing it on the table, awaiting Roman's response.
Fulci wrote:
a yellow notepad with a few words scribbled onto it (Gross' handwriting is not very good, something about ""),
Was there supposed to be something written on the notepad?

Return to “Vaults & Wastelands - Fallout PnP”