waterskin 5 cp
1 ep to John Parsnip family
1 ep to Thordek's family

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: First Expedition

#182 Post by Raven Crowking »

And all would be well, indeed, were in not for the vermin that crept into the barrow while you were below.

With no real indication of who is going first, save caveman's, I am going to assume Tevez is the first to climb the rope. Within the barrow above is a jet black scorpion the size of a man's leg, hiding in the shadows. As no precautions were taken, Tevez notices nothing as he helps Silva up the rope.

The scorpion rushes out of the shadows, and Tevez may make a Luck check (roll Luck or under on 1d20) to notice it before it is too late. If the check is made, Tevez may dice for initiative and act. If not, the creature surprises him this round (which may be his last!). Don't forget that Tevez currently has a Luck score of 11.

SPECIAL RULES: It takes 2 rounds to climb the rope. I will assume Silva is up on the next round. Every 2 rounds thereafter, another character may join the fray.

Not all dangers are in the tunnels beneath. The moor itself can be a dangerous place!

caveman
Guide
Guide

#183 Post by caveman »

Tevez is so eager to taste fresh air he notices not the black scorp.
Knave: Cedric the Defrauded Outlaw
Level 1 HP 8 Armor Defense 12
Str 11 Dex 11 Con 13 Int 13 Wis 14 Cha 12
(sinewy broken-faced but rosy cheeked, oily pompador, frayed tunic, courteous manner, but irascible tendencies, and squeaky voiced)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/13hM ... sp=sharing

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#184 Post by Raven Crowking »

The black scorpion notices Tevez, though! Rushing forward, he attacks with two claws (1, 7) and a tail sting (6). Even giving the attacker a +2 because Tevez is not aware, the cobbler gets unnaturally lucky, and is missed by all attacks.

The DCC rules are opaque on whether or not monsters suffer fumbles. I think that it is fun that they do. The scorpion misses wildly with one claw attack, but miraculously (for it), nothing else happens.

Tevez & Silva can now dice initiative against the scorpion's 20! If anyone is going to go up the rope, and arrive within 2 rounds, I need to know who is going. Otherwise, no help is coming.

caveman
Guide
Guide

#185 Post by caveman »

Inititiative rolls are Tevez 17 and Silva 12

Gah! Tevez scrambles out of the way and cringes away from the scorpion, swiping wildly with Aquero's awl. 3!
Silva vaults out of the hole and throws his deer pelt over the scorpion, attempting to smother its tiny claws and pinchers!
Rolled 10 on a d20. (But the Gods of Luck are with him! He burns 5 Luck to make his a deer pelt gambit roll a 15!)
"Help!"

(I'm assuming Tevez is unskilled, being a beggar with a sling. I rolled a d16.)
(sinewy broken-faced but rosy cheeked, oily pompador, frayed tunic, courteous manner, but irascible tendencies, and squeaky voiced)

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#186 Post by Raven Crowking »

caveman wrote:(I'm assuming Tevez is unskilled, being a beggar with a sling. I rolled a d16.)
0-lvl characters do not take penalties for being unskilled with weapons. Reroll. On second thought, strike that, it might not be necessary, and I can reroll if need be. (1st level characters are also automatically proficient with the last weapon they used as 0-lvl characters.)

In any event, the jet-black scorpion goes first, rolling a 7 and a 1 (again!) for its claws, and a 2 (!) for its stinger. It rolls a 2 for its fumble, and stumbles, but manages to recover itself. Oh, unluckiest of monsters!

I'll take your roll (post below), and Tevez does 2 points of damage. Black fluid leaks out of the wound, but the creature is far from dead.

Silva’s gambit hits, but Silva has no Deed die to aid in the attempt. I granted a 1 in 10 chance of successfully preventing the next attack sequence, but it sadly failed (roll of 5).

What do you want to do on the next round?

If anyone else is climbing that rope, they need to announce it now.

caveman
Guide
Guide

#187 Post by caveman »

Tevez rolls a 15 with the awl! 2 dmg! assuming he survives the onslaught.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#188 Post by Raven Crowking »

caveman wrote:Tevez rolls a 15 with the awl! 2 dmg! assuming he survives the onslaught.
See post above.

caveman
Guide
Guide

#189 Post by caveman »

Initiative: Tevez got a 17 again and Silva a 10
They attack with awl (3) and shortsword (19). Silva hacks the black carapace like its a haunch of game taken in the king's wood (4dmg).

Lord Zack
Strider
Strider

#190 Post by Lord Zack »

Unless someone else wants to go up, then Alexatros will. Char will hold off a while.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#191 Post by Raven Crowking »

Alexatros starts up the rope.

Topside, the black scorpion moves fast, attempting to slay Tevez. It’s claw attacks are a 6 and a 9, but its sting does better (18), doing only 1 point of damage, but Tevez will need to make a Fortitude Save if he wishes to survive.

Silva's blow hits, and more stinking fluid oozes from the black carapace. Yet the creature still lives.

caveman
Guide
Guide

#192 Post by caveman »

Tevez stares at the pinprick of blood on his hand, "Oh lordy." Fortitude Save 10.

Initiative are 16 and 11 for Tevez and Silva respectively. They will both hack desperately at the creature.
Tevez rolls a 6 if he yet lives, flailing wildly.
Silva puts all his weight behind a mighty thrust. (13tohit, 6dmg)

caveman
Guide
Guide

#193 Post by caveman »

OOC Are we rolling Initiative just once per fight or every round? I got into the habit of every round myself, but just remembered its not so common anymore. Once a fight is probably easier for this format...

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#194 Post by Raven Crowking »

caveman wrote:OOC Are we rolling Initiative just once per fight or every round? I got into the habit of every round myself, but just remembered its not so common anymore. Once a fight is probably easier for this format...
DCC RPG seems to imply once per fight, but I strongly prefer once per round.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#195 Post by Raven Crowking »

Tevez feels weak -- he takes 4 points of Strength damage.

He misses with his attack, and Silva's slides off the creature's carapace (unless he'd like to burn some Luck to hit).

The black scorpion darts in again, catching Tevez with one claw (1 damage) and its sting (2 damage), which is more than poor Tevez can endure.

Alexatros reaches the top and can act next round.

Anyone else coming up the rope?

caveman
Guide
Guide

#196 Post by caveman »

Silva burns 2 luck!!!!!

Ooc and prefer each rnd also. :)

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#197 Post by Raven Crowking »

caveman wrote:Silva burns 2 luck!!!!!
In that case, Silva hits....and the creature looks rather ragged as a result of the hit. A strong, foul scent emerges from the scorpion's wound, along with a thick oozing liquid like dark red puss. Still, it is not enough to have prevented it's attacking Tevez. Do you also wish to burn Luck to increase your damage?

caveman
Guide
Guide

#198 Post by caveman »

Ill not use more luck, but silva will try to use tevezs body as a shield.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#199 Post by Raven Crowking »

caveman wrote:Ill not use more luck, but silva will try to use tevezs body as a shield.
LOL. :lol:

In that case, I need the actions of Silva and Alexatros.

caveman
Guide
Guide

#200 Post by caveman »

Silva strikes again but is wide of the mark. (13 init and 11 to hit)
Help!

Return to “DCC RPG Barrowmaze”