Chapter 3: Third time's the charm

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 3: Third time's the charm

#241 Post by Zorroroaster »

Torgyr deposits the coins with the rest of the gold he's already collected and hands the gems to Solaine.

"I'm not sure. We want to steer clear of the little guys right? So we should not go and unspike that door and go that way? Do we return to the entry hall and choose an entirely different direction?"

edited for clarity. I was referring to not unspiking the door, not what was there. Autocorrect made it look like I was advocating opening the door we had spiked.
Last edited by Zorroroaster on Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#242 Post by kalstone »

Solaine pockets the gems and jewelry. "Galen, you should detect if this scarab is magical when we get back to camp."

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#243 Post by bobloblah »

kalstone wrote:Solaine pockets the gems and jewelry. "Galen, you should detect if this scarab is magical when we get back to camp."
"Agreed, as I seem to be having trouble gauging its worth!"

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#244 Post by drpete »

The beetle is made of an unfamiliar silvery metal, so its value is difficult to gauge. If it were silver, you estimate it might be worth 5000 gp or so.
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#245 Post by bobloblah »

"I believe it would be worth checking everything we bring back, lest we miss something that might aid us... or be of great value."

barkman
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#246 Post by barkman »

I'm surprised the other group didn't stay in that hidden room, but i guess one could get trapped in there as well, if there's no other exit.
Can we refill the lanterns from the oil? Randolpho asks of no one in particular.

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#247 Post by bobloblah »

barkman wrote:I'm surprised the other group didn't stay in that hidden room, but i guess one could get trapped in there as well, if there's no other exit.
Can we refill the lanterns from the oil? Randolpho asks of no one in particular.
"I just filled mine, but I suppose I could refill the flask... why wouldn't we take them with us when we leave?"

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#248 Post by Zorroroaster »

drpete wrote:The beetle is made of an unfamiliar silvery metal, so its value is difficult to gauge. If it were silver, you estimate it might be worth 5000 gp or so.
:shock: :lol:
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#249 Post by drpete »

It's not platinum either, though it is more like platinum than silver.

Anyways, what was the plan? Go back to the front entrance? Through the orc room, or the guard room? The head is pretty heavy, like 2 stone, so Ranulf is pretty overburdened carrying it.

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#250 Post by Lamech »

Treasure!!!! Steel says looking at the valuables, although too afraid to touch it and somehow mar it. Instinct when dealing with precious things. Really, anything could be magical. I wonder if this would be enough to start up some sort of base camp for this. Getting ahead of myself. What is that metal Steel says looking at the Beetle. Maybe an alloy?

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#251 Post by bobloblah »

Brother Galen takes the stone Tyche head from Ranulf, "Here then, boy... no sense overburdening yourself!" He will then sling his staff to his pack and carry Tyche in his hands.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#252 Post by Dogma »

Ranulf shakes his head at Torgyr's suggestion. "Before we do much more exploring we need to take care of a few things. We have the stuff here and the two bodies and their gear down the hall. We should move it all to the orc room at the very least. I think we'll need to take a few trips to get it all. Once that's all squared away, then we can decide where to go next."

The fighter hands the head over to Galen. "Take good care of my girlfriend there, Galen, I think I'm in love." he says with a wink. "Though don't worry ladies," he finishes, addressing Emm, Audi, and Solaine, "I have enough love for all of you too,"

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#253 Post by drpete »

At this moment, as Ranulf professes his love for the ladies, Solaine notices some of her coins clatter to the ground. Hrmmm... there must be a rip in her beltpouch...

That's the moment she feels a sharp, agonizing pain. Something is horribly, horribly wrong.

Solaine, roll a Saving Throw vs Death. Including your wisdom bonus, you need an 8+, I think.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#254 Post by Zorroroaster »

:shock:

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#255 Post by kalstone »

Save vs. Death: [1d20] = 8

I can't even come up with a smart ass comment about that one.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#256 Post by drpete »

As Solaine twits to locate the cause of the terrible pain, she catches a glimpse of the back end of the beetle pendant, now very much alive, and burrowing into her flesh, on its way to her heart.

You desperately claw at Solaine's flesh in an attempt to stop the beetle, but Solaine is grievously wounded in the process...

[3d6] = 14

Solaine suffers 14 damage removing the beetle. She is down. The beetle is out, lying in a pool of blood next to Solaine's still body.

Actions? I think this is in Galen's court, now...

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#257 Post by bobloblah »

"Someone move that thing away!" Galen shouts, "Use the end of a spear or pole; don't touch it, and don't take your eyes off it!" He then kneels beside Solaine, pulling forth bandages and herbs.

"Now, my girl... let's not let a broken heart finish us just yet...Mavors has more he would ask of you..."

Brother Galen then calls on the Lady of Fortune to bring luck to the fallen bladedancer...
Cure Light Wounds on her: [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4
Mortal Wounds (-5 for more than -1/2 hp, +1 for Cure Light Wounds, +2 for within 1 round, +2 for Healing proficiency, total = 0): [1d20] = 15 and [1d6] = 1

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#258 Post by drpete »

Brother Galen does his best, calling on Tyche to decide her fate. Galen manages to stabilize her, but Tyche is not done playing with this child of Mavors. Not yet. Though Solaine is stable for now, she is critically wounded, and will need a lot of care, very soon, or she will succumb to her wounds. He estimates she has about a day to be healed, and if she survives, she will then require a week's bedrest. She is wheezing weakly, as she has suffered damage to her heart and lungs. (She must rest 2 of every 6 turns from now on, her wilderness movement is reduced by 1/3, she cannot force march, and her con has been reduced to 6).

The beetle sits motionless in the blood. It looks like a piece of jewelry.

Solaine is at ... -8 hp. (Cure spells don't provide hp recovery when used for bonuses on this roll, though it was still a good move). She needs 9 points of healing within the next 24 hours, or she dies. Galen knows that Comfrey will help if he uses it now, but this will take much more than that...

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#259 Post by Zorroroaster »

Torgyr grips his hammer so tightly it shakes, a ragged growl in his throat as he remains poised above the small metallic horror ready to smash it into pieces. His eyes are red and wet with tears, his voice hoarse with emotion.

"Galan, can we save her? Let's lift her back to the Orc room and prepare to quit this place. What do we do about...that?" He indicates the scarab with his chin, never once taking eyes from it.

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#260 Post by bobloblah »

drpete wrote:Solaine is at ... -8 hp. (Cure spells don't provide hp recovery when used for bonuses on this roll, though it was still a good move).
Yeah, I used the CLW for the bonus, not really the healing. Forgot and rolled anyway.
drpete wrote:The beetle sits motionless in the blood. It looks like a piece of jewelry. Around it on the floor are 4 of Solaine's teeth. (Solaine will suffer a -2 to reaction rolls with men and upper class npcs)
She needs 9 points of healing within the next 24 hours, or she dies. Galen knows that Comfrey will help if he uses it now, but this will take much more than that...
Teeth? You know I rolled a 1 on the d6 for Mortal Wounds, right? Don't get me wrong, if you wanna roll, that's cool!

Return to “Dwimmermount (ACKS)”