Chapter 1 - The Chaos of the Lakeside

PointyEaredRogue
Runner
Runner

Re: Chapter 1 - The Chaos of the Lakeside

#21 Post by PointyEaredRogue »

Glaiz Goldenhook

Glaiz leans back in after hearing the snide comment made by the human. "With it cookin' like that, I don't want any, anyways." Her attention turns back to the commotion, noticing that more of the group have taken an interest. "That dwarf can barely walk and he plans on taking that on?" she thinks. "I guess walking wasn't mandatory for the guard," she sneers at the hobbling dwarf. Glaiz begins to make her way towards the angry group. With the "menacing" group behind her, in addition to her apathetic outlook on life, there wasn't very much to lose at this point. "A fine morning for a quarrel is it, boys?" she says to the angry men.
I have Soothing Platitudes [B6] as one of my skills; I feel like now is a good time to utilize it. :D
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
-Carl Sagan

Glaiz Goldenhook, The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Marullus »

We'll call it a Conspicuous test to interrupt their argument and insert yourself in the scene. They're about to come to blows but not there yet, so I'll call it an Ob 3. I would assign a +1Ob for not having appropriate gear/insignia or trying to march up authoritatively without good boots in this mud ( :) ), but you bought clothing and boots appropriate to your station and so are, in fact, still dressed as a guard if without arms/armor. So, no penalty. Failure consequence will be sparking their ire/violence towards you vice the original targets (more interesting than 'they ignore you.')

Durgar has a B3 for that. Glaiz can offer helping dice from Soothing Platitudes (for +2D) or another skill (Clan-wise or Ugly Truth for +1D). Any other PCs that want to join in, post your narrative and offer helping dice to Durgar. Anyone who helps gets up and leaves the fire/rabbit and enters the marketplace. Those that don't help can continue to RP at the fire/rabbit.

When Durgar is ready, he can then accept/reject helping dice from individuals, add his own FoRKs and describe them, and roll all dice in the die roller. (I'll let you add a reputation but not an affiliation.) Anyone who helps gets an Ob3 test against the skill they helped with.

lupinelegend
Strider
Strider

#23 Post by lupinelegend »

Whitfield Newell

Whit snorts as the dwarves head towards the marketplace. Dwarven hospitality! I suppose I should thank them for razing my home to the ground and welcoming me into the light of their fire. Despite his smoldering anger, Whit feels embarrassed, however slightly, for reacting as he did. I have not had to share so much as a word with others in some time. Whit exhales in a huff before splitting the rabbit into thirds and resting the skewers over a dying corner of the fire. This is going to take getting used to.

Regarding the elf sheepishly, Whit asks, "Can you please keep an eye on this hare?" That done, he sticks to what shadows remain in the pre-dawn light and makes his way half the distance to the argument in the marketplace before stopping to call back his falcon with a series of chirps.
How does Birdie Talk work? Can Gryff tell me what he's seen, or is our communication limited to one-word messages?
Last edited by lupinelegend on Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Marullus »

Birdie talk is described as a language, so you can communicate appropriately. It doesn't increase the intelligence or interest level of the bird you are talking to, though. :) Tolkien-wise, he describes strains/races of birds that have higher intelligence and act accordingly... some of them also being able to communicate in other dialects. Old hoary Ravens that speak dwarvish and an ancient strain of Thrush that speaks the human tongue to the Lakemen, giant eagles nearby in the mountain aeries to the west. Gryff, however, is a normal falcon. Not as smart as a dog. :)

If you wish to seek out more intelligent avians, you just do it in a scene at some point. Sending birds to find other birds is a Circles test. Finding them yourself in the wild would be Hunting, Tracking, or something similar.
If I can suggest, just use italics and not dialog-blue for your internal thoughts. It is too easy for someone to mistake it and think you're saying it aloud.

Rule highlight: Good example of using a trait to your detriment, though! Calling on your "Loner" trait to hamper your interactions (as you did) could be cause to award a Fate point. You're backing off the consequences of it now (which is not worth a Fate point, but is understandable as this is a color scene to introduce you all), but continuing to play to your BITs (beliefs, instincts, and traits) like that is a good way to earn an Embodiment persona for the scene.

lupinelegend
Strider
Strider

#25 Post by lupinelegend »

Marullus wrote:Rule highlight: Good example of using a trait to your detriment, though! Calling on your "Loner" trait to hamper your interactions (as you did) could be cause to award a Fate point. You're backing off the consequences of it now (which is not worth a Fate point, but is understandable as this is a color scene to introduce you all), but continuing to play to your BITs (beliefs, instincts, and traits) like that is a good way to earn an Embodiment persona for the scene.
Thanks for the clarification! I backed off because I'm used to finding a reason for my character to stick with the party and I don't want to alienate myself to everyone in the first scene. New system, new playstyle though. Going forward I'll just play my traits and see what happens.

PointyEaredRogue
Runner
Runner

#26 Post by PointyEaredRogue »

Glaiz Goldenhook

After she speaks, Glaiz notices the dwarf behind her approaching rapidly; he appears to be out for blood. She recalls him naming himself a member of the Guard; as she looks, she notices he is wearing clothes befitting a guard, even if he didn't have any armor. "Well," she thinks, "perhaps I can make use of this."

Paging Spectreman17!

"Dwarf, what exactly is your plan here? You aren't exactly fit for a fight. Let me get a word in - your thirst for battle will be sated shortly." She shoots a burning glance at the dwarf. "What are you called, so that I may know with whom I get myself into trouble?"
Cue my Soothing Platitudes to help Spectre
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
-Carl Sagan

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Marullus »

Any other helping dice or scene additions? If not, then Spectreman can move us ahead.

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#28 Post by Spectreman17 »

[1d6] = 4[1d6] = 6[1d6] = 4[1d6] = 6[1d6] = 4

I face the dwarven woman who seems intent on coming with me, "Durgar is my name, Guard is my profession, so let me do my duty and protect these people for buffoons such as those two."

pointyearedrogue should fill in how she uses soothing platitudes to my aid with the commotion.

I march up to the quarreling dwarves while pushing through the crowd, Make way for the Guard! I shout. I draw enough attention from the onlookers that they alow me to pass with ease. I quickly reach the front of the crowd gathered to see the commotion and I can see two dwarves arguing over something, though I can't tell what. "Hey!" I shout, "What seems to be the matter here?"

I'm looking to assess the situation (What are they fighting about, how strong do they look in comparison to myself, are they armed, etc.) and diffuse it is as cleanly as possible

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Marullus »

Good work! Crowd control is completely successful - your Guardsman presence commands attention. We'll pause for Glaiz's post about how she sweet-talks/schmoozes people into compliance with you. Then I'll tell you what you find at the center of the commotion. Durgar and Glaiz will be the centers of attention while Whitfield has come over and blended into the gathering crowd. Others are at the fire, not within earshot IC.

PointyEaredRogue
Runner
Runner

#30 Post by PointyEaredRogue »

Glaiz Goldenhook

"Durgar, well met. My name is Glaiz. Now, these men are testy, so methinks we should try to forgo any violence, if possible..."

She looks at the dwarf, who seems antsy to get back into his guard duties. She checks out the situation once more: a group of men accosting three dwarven merchants. The men towered over the dwarves, who appeared haggard and toughened like the leathers they wore. The men, as terrifying as they were, seemed angry, but not so angry they couldn't be talked down.

She first speaks to the dwarves. "I was wondering if you fine gentlemen could point me to the nearest trader? I've got some things I've been looking to unload. Or, perhaps, you'd be willing to take them here, seeing as you have quite a fine caravan. I've not seen such a fine assortment since Erebor was its old bustling self." She pretends to suddenly realize the tension hanging in the air. "Oh, I'm sorry, was I interrupting? My apologies." She turns to the men, who seem to be the instigators of this confrontation. "You know, such a hardy group of men such as yourselves would do well in the guard. I've heard word that, due to the fall, they're looking for some aid. In fact, my friend Durgar here is a part - strong as an ox, at that. The only problem being that men of the guard can't be gettin' themselves into trouble. What do you say we go for a drink and chat? A group of strong men like you would honor a lady with your company."
-Carl Sagan

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Marullus »

Glaiz interrupts and confuses the situation, her blythe presence as a polite and ingratiating woman off-setting the two groups of near-blows men just enough to prevent confict. Shortly behind her is Durgar, his officious tone and guardsman demeanor quickly commanding respect and attention. The crowd parts before him and his stout walking stick. Whitfield's falcon circles overhead and emits a sharp cry, the human scout finding a place with line of sight as the crowd shifts.
Spectreman17 wrote:"Make way for the Guard!"
"Oh HO! This is a fine sight!" blusters the sour-looking graybearded dwarf who stands at the center of the trio. "NOW he's the guard. At least he's sober this time. Did you sleep through the Battle of the Gates?" The dwarf on the right guffaws, slapping Darbur Ironpull on his broad back. Besides the permanent frown-lines and dark chew-stains on their beards, the three dwarves share other visual marks of being kin. "Be useful, at least, and run off these troublemakers,"he spits a wad of tobacco juice into the dirt at Durgar's feet.

"That's rich indeed!" interjects the tall, handsome dark-mustached man at the center of the men, more than a dozen in number. He speaks directly to Glaiz and Durgar, appealing to them. "I am Marsden, and this dwarf is a cheat!"The three Ironpull dwarves bristle visibly, thick and calloused fingers balling into fists. The men rumble in approval of Marsden's sentiment. Marsden continues, waving his hand to indicate his companions, "We paid them a fair price for a dozen swords, that we all might be armed. It is no mystery that the roads before us will be dangerous indeed, but I did not think to find tretchery before departing. Once the coin was exchanged, they gave us only two! With such greed and duplicity, you'd think they're dragons themselves!" He holds up a sword by way of demonstration, as does a stout and furrow-browed man to his left.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#32 Post by Fulci »

Favrick, the half-a-dwarf
Marullus wrote:Favrick passes them, seeking Hagatha the ageless matron. The elf catches his eye but he looks onward, spying the tell-tale sign across the marketplace beyond where Niping was sitting - a gaggle of cowed children which can only portend the presence of the ancient nanny.
Favrick doesn't pay much attention to the commotion at the marketplace, though he does notice the young dwarf guard making his stance. And the backlash from the graybeard. Dwarves and and the son of men going at each other and their kin, even in this hardest of all times.

Favrick heads over to the gathering of the children, looking for Hagatha.
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#33 Post by Spectreman17 »

Durgar Ironpull:

I am thoroughly shaken by the bitter words from my clansmen, but after a moment of hesitation, I too bring myself to bear on the men. "You challenge the honor of my clan? The Ironpull name has never been that of cheats." I turn to face my father, "I assume you treated these men fairly?" with his nod, I face the men and say, "There you have it, you men are trying to cheat your way into a few free swords. Be gone with you. and don't you show your faces around this camp again, we have no room for charlatans."
Roll Intimidate to scare off the men?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Marullus »

Spectreman17 wrote:I turn to face my father, "I assume you treated these men fairly?"
Darbur Ironpull crosses his arms across his chest. "My price is my price, and if they don't like it I'll take those two swords back, too. It's not my job to arm a rabble of humans, especially when they threaten me and my kin. Lucky I give 'em one; doesn't matter they asked for twelve."

Marsden grits his teeth, eyes narrowing as he looks between the dwarves. He speaks loudly, ensuring his words carry to all those nearby. "I see. There is no justice to be found here, when honor takes a back seat to kin. I'll not be robbed by a greed-mongering dwarf. Your greed in your mountain cost us enough already." The men behind him grumble with him in assent, the crowd's mood darkening quickly towards violence again -- some less savory ones never had it far from their minds.

Intent is to drive them away without violence using Intimidation. That's a good action. Against this leader with his back-up mob outnumbering you 3-to-1, it is Ob 6. You get +1D from the dwarves you're defending. Paying them off first (treasure worth 1D cash) gives +2D. Other PCs can join in with Helping Dice and you can add FoRKs. Failure consequence is violence.
Fulci wrote:Favrick doesn't pay much attention to the commotion at the marketplace, though he does notice the young dwarf guard making his stance. And the backlash from the graybeard. Dwarves and and the son of men going at each other and their kin, even in this hardest of all times. Favrick heads over to the gathering of the children, looking for Hagatha.
The loud words of the human niggle at Favrick's conscience. The Penitents have much to say about Greed and the fallen nature of dwarves.

Circling around the crowd, Favrick sees the chastened children beyond. They are seated around an open-topped wain, busily polishing and cleaning metal goods before repacking them onto the wagon - a somewhat incongruous task amidst the mud and with the dragon so recently overhead, but a task that takes Favrick back to his own childhood. Wrapped in innumerable shawls, Haggatha sits on a three-legged stool on the back gate of the wagon and directing the children about their task with a crooked finger.

lupinelegend
Strider
Strider

#35 Post by lupinelegend »

Whitfield, human scout

Whit is shocked to see Marsden. After leaving the military he had hoped never to cross paths with the man again. He is stubborn, cruel, and predictably violent when things do not go his way. Though Whit happens to agree with Marsden in this instance, he doesn't want the camp erupting in melee either.

Whit heads back to the campfire where the elf sits watching over his dinner. He tosses the now crisp rabbit into a pot with what few herbs can be scrounged from his pack and any water that remains in his skin. Whit makes his way back into the crowd gathered around Marsden and his thugs and begins to try and lure people away with the promise of stew.

Adopting the courtly posture he hasn't used in ages, Whit implores, "You sir, your boys look hungry. Please join me at the fire over there for some stew. Mum, have you eaten yet today? Pull your husband away from this din and come have some stew. You lot, I'm sure you've seen a quarrel before; let them to their business, there's stew over here.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Marullus »

Whitfield:
Good color. I need help with how you want it to go mechanically. You're effectively giving a +1D helping die to Durgar, for which you'll get credit for an Ob 6 test on the relevant skill. The helping die has to be for a skill you possess which you're using in the situation. What skill or wise are you using to assist in this case?

There is also the fact that you don't know how to cook. :). If your main move is the cooking of stew, then maybe we do a beginner's luck test for cooking as a link test.

lupinelegend
Strider
Strider

#37 Post by lupinelegend »

Marullus:
Good color. I need help with how you want it to go mechanically. You're effectively giving a +1D helping die to Durgar, for which you'll get credit for an Ob 6 test on the relevant skill. The helping die has to be for a skill you possess which you're using in the situation. What skill or wise are you using to assist in this case?
I purposefully didn't take any social skills so I'm not sure I can help. Maybe I can use Observation to pick out people in the crowd who look like they could be easily swayed to leave (i.e. looking hungry, late arrivals, etc.)?
There is also the fact that you don't know how to cook. :). If your main move is the cooking of stew, then maybe we do a beginner's luck test for cooking as a link test.
That's a good idea! What would you like me to roll?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Marullus »

Whitfield:
The simplest answer would be to use a -Wise. It wouldn't be cooking or stew, but is more within your character's capabilities. Could some folklore tale / superstition be invoked to get people to step away from the fight? Something about the region which could move them towards a non-violent course?

Thinking more: As a fast-moving scene, going back and cooking stew in the few moments before the intimidation check is an issue. Linked tests are for longer term and sequential things. I could allow it, and your success would give him the +1D due to the thinning of the crowd. The hard part is that your failure would need to give Durgar a +1 Ob, and since his intimidation is not directly dependent on your stew, that is less sensible. You burning the stew doesn't make the crowd more angry and prone to violence against the dwarves, so it doesn't fairly link. For learning purposes, if you DID roll it, it would be an Ob 2 (meal for group) doubled as a Beginner's Luck test (ob4) and you'd roll your Perception dice (B4).

lupinelegend
Strider
Strider

#39 Post by lupinelegend »

Marullus:
The simplest answer would be to use a -Wise. It wouldn't be cooking or stew, but is more within your character's capabilities. Could some folklore tale / superstition be invoked to get people to step away from the fight? Something about the region which could move them towards a non-violent course?
That makes sense. Perhaps using Fear-of-Mirkwood-wise I could tell people of giant spiders or some such creature that is attracted to the sounds and screams of men.
Thinking more: As a fast-moving scene, going back and cooking stew in the few moments before the intimidation check is an issue. Linked tests are for longer term and sequential things. I could allow it, and your success would give him the +1D due to the thinning of the crowd. The hard part is that your failure would need to give Durgar a +1 Ob, and since his intimidation is not directly dependent on your stew, that is less sensible. You burning the stew doesn't make the crowd more angry and prone to violence against the dwarves, so it doesn't fairly link. For learning purposes, if you DID roll it, it would be an Ob 2 (meal for group) doubled as a Beginner's Luck test (ob4) and you'd roll your Perception dice (B4).
Great, now I know for next time, thanks.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Starbeard »

Niping the blacksmith

Sorry to be silent of late, I've been travelling quite a bit, but am back and rested up now. I should be able to jump in more regularly.
lupinelegend wrote:Whitfield, human scout

Whit is shocked to see Marsden. After leaving the military he had hoped never to cross paths with the man again. He is stubborn, cruel, and predictably violent when things do not go his way. Though Whit happens to agree with Marsden in this instance, he doesn't want the camp erupting in melee either.

Whit heads back to the campfire where the elf sits watching over his dinner. He tosses the now crisp rabbit into a pot with what few herbs can be scrounged from his pack and any water that remains in his skin. Whit makes his way back into the crowd gathered around Marsden and his thugs and begins to try and lure people away with the promise of stew.

Adopting the courtly posture he hasn't used in ages, Whit implores, "You sir, your boys look hungry. Please join me at the fire over there for some stew. Mum, have you eaten yet today? Pull your husband away from this din and come have some stew. You lot, I'm sure you've seen a quarrel before; let them to their business, there's stew over here.
Niping's eyes glow hungrily as he watches Whit divide the rabbit up into portions. He loses some of the enthusiasm with which he rubs his rough hands together, however, when he mentally counts up the three portions of rabbit in comparison to the number of folk gathered near the fire. He just begins to pipe up something about everyone in the camp needing to pull together, even if it means smaller concessions for each one, when the attentions of his companions are arrested by the nearby commotion in the market.

The haggard dwarf listens with some distant interest, but eventually turns back to the fire and the elf to mutter something gruff about the impertinence of Dalefolk. In surprise, his muttering is cut short when Whit hops up and bounds over to the commotion, offering up the roast as a peace bribe. Niping bolts upright with a burst of energy and shakes a broad finger at Whit.

'Now hear, woodsman! That is not a token to be given off so hastily! Though everyone here is going hungry, yet there were already folk here at the fire, with little enough left for you to be tossing rabbit about as though they swam up from the lake into pots and pans. Those Dalefolk have given themselves their own problems if they have tried cheating the Ironpulls in a trade, for the Ironpulls are more than capable of handling their own affairs.'

Return to “2015 Archive”