Chapter 7 Epilogue

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 7 Epilogue

#81 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell quickly positions his sword to skewer Fenrin should he move.
He will then attempt to check for life.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Grognardsw »

tooleychris wrote:Flynn reaches for whatever the mage was pulling from his cloak and slides it across the floor toward Deceidon, just in case...
Deceidon picks it up from Flynn and pockets it.

"The traitor has been dealt with," says Deceidon for the crowd's benefit. He nods to the others and lifts up the body, exiting by the back door with it.

"Let us go to safety and burn this body, lest any evil magics bring him back," says Deceidon when out of earshot of the public. "The Order of the Knife assassinated him."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Zhym »

Elethil fires a sharp look at the "faceless" sailor. "It would have been better for all had Fenrin been brought to justice under the King's law," he says. "But perhaps this outcome was inevitable." He prods Fenrin's body with one foot to see if the evil mage is truly dead.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by tooleychris »

Flynn looks around, making sure no one has an arrow for him ir anyone else in their group...
" 'spose he'd have given us lies for answers anyway..."

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Rukellian »

onlyme wrote:Whitsell quickly positions his sword to skewer Fenrin should he move.
He will then attempt to check for life.
Whitsell checks for a pulse. A few moments pass and he does not find one.
Grognardsw wrote:
tooleychris wrote:Flynn reaches for whatever the mage was pulling from his cloak and slides it across the floor toward Deceidon, just in case...
Deceidon picks it up from Flynn and pockets it.

"The traitor has been dealt with," says Deceidon for the crowd's benefit. He nods to the others and lifts up the body, exiting by the back door with it.
Upon leaving the Sally Conch, the guards stationed nearby calm the crowds, almost as if on cue, and explains that they were helping them track a runaway criminal. The shady gem merchant is taken away by two other guards as well.

The 'faceless' sailor approaches the group a few minutes later with Matkinsai following just behind. "To capture Fenrin alive would have been too dangerous," remarks the sailor. "It may have been possible, certainly, but that would of just bought the evil mage more time to pull off some sort of scheme, in that I have no doubt. The arrow that struck him down was by all means a 'godsend' for our cause. With the vile influence out of the way, we can safely rebuild New Dathan."

While the group member's discuss what has happened, Rand busies himself searching Fenrin's body. The ring and gnarled stick already accounted for, the thief also finds a thin wooden box tucked away in a hidden side satchel. Wrapped around the container is a strange amulet. He holds it up for all to see. "Looks like I found something guys, take a look!"
The amulet is carved out of a blackened metal, in the shape of a pentagon. Within the pentagon is a closed eye with the keyhole in the center. The box itself is of fine craftsmanship and has ornate golden embellishments on its surface.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Grognardsw »

"What think you Matkinsai? It seems it could be protected by magic ?" says Deceidon of the box.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Rukellian »

"I know not the contents of the box, but I can say that the magical aura present is emanating from the pendant. I need not cast magicks to sense the aura, it is strongly evil, but..." he furrows his brows as he thinks on it. "I cannot seem to place its origins. I would need to look through my private library to ascertain its true meaning."

With that said, Matkinsai turns to the 'faceless' sailor and says with a great disapproval in his voice, "Schemes or not, we could of learned much from Fenrin, had we kept him alive. Lies can be filtered through if you know what you are looking for. Such expedient killing though... its distasteful to say the least."

The sailor responds thusly, "Say what you want, but we can safely say that this particular threat has been stopped. We brought results and now, your brothers will need to do the same." The animosity between the two men is as plain as day, you cannot help but wonder just how long this temporary alliance will last.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell looks around, hoping his anxiety isnt visible.

People. We have work to do. We must secure the kingdom from any lingering threats, until such time the lawful king can regain his rightful throne.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by tooleychris »

Flynn looks confused. "How do we do that? I'm no stratagist or politician. What's our next move?"

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell whispers,
I dont know, either...

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Grognardsw »

"I want nothing to do with magic," says Deceidon, letting Matkinsai keep the amulet-wrapped box.

"Let us see what the king thinks."

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Rukellian »

Matkinsai and the 'faceless' sailor nod in agreement. "The good king has shown wisdom in the past; surely, that trait of his has not faded in light of recent events." The sailor turns to Elethil, Rand and Matkinsai as he says the following. "I would not ask anyone to use any more... magicks. Setting aside my own order's personal viewpoint on the matter," he nods to Deceidon silently, "I say this only in recognition of the Brotherhood's greater gifts. Before they were dabblers in the corrupt arts of sorcery and whatnot, they were honest citizens of the kingdom, craftsmen of note, leaders among men, most still are. In the absence of a noble court and a royal figurehead, we will need just such people to carry the citizens of New Dathan forward. I will bring this up to the king himself, but your opinion on the matter, here and now, would be most valuable as well." He speaks to everyone towards the end of his suggestion, including Whitsell and Flynn into the mix as well.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell responds,

The people have a right to be fearful of the power of magic, especially when in the hands of a madman as we have witnessed these recent days.

I believe we should embrace the idea that there is a group with the power to safely rid the kingdom of bad magic. Sometimes power is safer in the hands of many than to be hidden by just the few. Let us go to the king, and tell him our news. The sooner he sits in power again, the more normal we all shall live.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by tooleychris »

Flynn scrunches his face in thought. "I have seen the...good some magics can do. I have seen its evils when in the hands of only the corrupt. Look. I'm just a sailor. There will always be pirates, no matter the laws passed or punishment dealt. Does this mean we should abolish all sea craft? Will there not still be pirates? No, there are guards against piracy. The lords navy saved me from slavers." the sailor sighs.
"My point is that if magic is abolished then bad people will still follow its easier path. Should we not have those who are able to police sorcery on equal ground?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Zhym »

Elethil fixes his seemingly impassive gaze on the "sailor."

"My people have a different relationship with magic than you humans appear to have," he says. "For us, it is as much a part of life as air, tress, or sunlight. It is, to use another analogy, like raw iron. It may be forged and shaped into sword or plow, cage or hammer, shackles or key."

"It is clear that many humans cannot wield this tool without letting lust for power take over their senses."
Speaking these words, the elf gazes at Fenrin's inert form. "For that reason alone, we must be vigilant in destroying dark magics wherever they are encountered. It is also clear that the human lands are not yet ready for magic to be practiced openly, especially after Fenrin's misdeeds. But perhaps people will begin to realize that just as Fenrin used dark magics to destroy, so were neutral and beneficial magics used to put an end to his evil, and so, I hope, will restorative magics be used to bring the kingdom right again."

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Rukellian »

"Such words, I believe, will need to be said before the king. A wise leader will need to be well-informed and know of all sides to a problem." Matkinsai finishes with a forced cough and motions that he would like to go back to the tavern. "Yes," says the 'faceless' sailor, "a change of location."

If there is any business left to be had at the port before heading back into the city, now would be the time to do it; otherwise, the group will head back to Deceidon's family tavern to speak with the king on what was said, Matkinsai quoting everything and the rest of the group filling in the gaps where need be. You are in the king's company now, but the man sitting before you is much more humble in appearance now, having adopted a the lifestyle of a regular citizen once again for the time being.

After hearing everything that was said at the docks, the king takes in the information and thinks upon it. He then speaks, but with a level of uncertainty in his tone. "It does not sit well with me knowing that I knew so little of what was truly going on. My advisor, whose word I trusted most in problems of magic, seemed to have deceived me for the longest time. As if I was under some spell... now that I am of clear mind again and refreshed, I can remember clearly now that I did not in fact have a brother. Regardless, Fenrin has been dealt with and for that I thank you all. But if what you all say about the current state of magic in this land is true, then we still have some pressing matters to deal with, answers to be found."

Benagal sits before the crackling fire and thinks upon this some more. Searching for the right questions to ask in his mind and in those around him...

"Securing the well being of New Dathan and the various other settlements in Kinra should come first in importance. The people need order and a strong leader, and or party of people for that matter, to help safeguard them from further evils, lest they succumb to practicing such evils themselves in their state of confusion and lack of proper guidance. Once I know my people are safe, we can deal with the matter of magic and those who would propagate its use for evil."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell bows his head and speaks,

Your majesty, I will gladly devote my life to assist you in safeguarding your kingdom. If I may be so bold, I believe you may find more effective results if you maintain two parties, sire. One to be your police, your military, your structured guards if you will. They can show the people that order and security has been restored. The other, a less formal group of detectives and doers. Ones who can umm more subtly root out the trouble with less restriction.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by tooleychris »

Flynn sighs.
"Yer highness. You saved my life, though you may not know. A month ago I would have stood with Whitsell and the others, proclaiming a life of such duty..."
He shakes his head and thinks of Amberlynn.
"But my life is no longer in my own hands. A matter of the heart must be clarified before I volunteer such an obligation. If the soul doesn't follow the body, the body falls to ruin. " Flynn smiles and shakes his head again, before bowing politely.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Rukellian »

"You all have done a great service to the kingdom thus far. I would not ask for any more if you be not willing. You may depart your own ways knowing that your works will be remembered and that the kingdom's future will be for the better." The king gives Flynn a respectful nod. "With that said, if your better half would be so inclined, I would be honored to have a swordsman of your caliber and nautical expertise under my command. Ultimately, the choice will be yours in the end.

"To those that who pledge their services even further beyond the normal call of duty, I applaud your initiative. The kingdom of man could use strong individuals such as yourselves for the times ahead. Sir Whitsell, I believe the reinstated captain of the royal guard has requested for your services specifically. Since I trust his judgement explicitly, it goes without saying that you may take up any position you wish. This I grant to you.

"Elethil, of the Noldor clan, you are welcome to stay within our kingdom during the rebuilding of its leadership and security. I believe that your role as ambassador of your people will be crucial in improving relations with our neighbors and help ease the people into a more productive mindset when it comes to the use of 'positive' magics. Though I may not condone the use of such tools myself, it will be hard to ignore its presence as time goes by. I will be counting on you as much as everyone else in this room, all assuming your are willing in this endeavor.

"Deceidon, Rand, I am very much interesting in putting to use your expertise in the manners of secrecy and stealth. Whilst the rest of my subjects will rebuild the security of the kingdom and restore order within the noble court, the role of enforcing the law and the kingdom's interests will lie with you. Just as we need a readily visible face of security, so do we need one working in the background. Whitsell's suggestion in this matter is well-placed, and I can see the benefit of keeping both sides of the coin in check.
"

The king has spoken to everyone, though he has not given orders, strangely enough. He leaves each suggestion and request open for approval or denial. He stays true to his namesake and does not force his subjects, even when he needs them most. It shortly after the king finishes speaking that Amberlynn joins the group once more and stands by Flynn's side. "Where ever you go, which ever course you choose, I will follow you and be by your side, always." She lays a hand on his shoulder and looks into his eyes with a smile.

Return to “Fabricator of Planes: a Rukellian Module”