Action Thread 1

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 1

#81 Post by tkrexx »

Could be difficult to burn in a damp place where fungi thrives.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by rredmond »

Day 1 – 8:00a
Chilly start to the morning, but the day looks clear.

We will retcon whatever is needed, this post is a starting point to get us going.

Here we are back in familiar ground: You are standing near a cold mountain brook, about five feet across and fast-running, which tumbles from the rocks above and thence down into a cave-like crevice in the earth. The crevice is almost ten feet wide, with a ceiling of eight feet. The sound of the water echoes from the cave mouth.

Please ensure that everything below looks as it should. Where the paladin was still in posts I just substituted Malak. Which means you may want to do some shuffling in the MO. I’ll go by the below more than anything, so regularly check that it’s correct so that when the beholder attacks, I know who gets it first. :)

HPs: Malak - 15/15; Incio - 18/18; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 7/7; SoT - 25/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Korgul - 24/24
WIH: Malak: short sword; Incio: short sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield; Korgul: battle axe, shield
MO (10’): 1- Incio; 2- Korgul and SoT; 3- Malak and Zafalia; 4- Ilhalevar and Al’Zur; 5- Wulfgard
Consumables: Lantern - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-2/2; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-4/4, 2-2/2; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-3/3
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#83 Post by Alethan »

Ilhalevar stares at the entrance to the cave in silence, along with the rest of the party. She nervously grips her magical long sword, Glamdring wooden quarterstaff and looks around with her eyes and quietly says, "Someone should start tying off a rope so we can descend and start helping these villagers out..."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#84 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:"Someone should start tying off a rope so we can descend and start helping these villagers out..."
"Aye."

Son of Thunder's words still echo in Malak's mind:
"I forsee a problem, my companions, if we find ourselves in need of a hasty retreat. If we enter this crevass by rope, something may remove it, and what will be our way out?"
"Please take note of any solid walls we can attach iron spikes into."

"Incio, do you remember if there were any opportunities to place spikes? I don't know about the rest of you, but I do not look forward to being trapped down there."
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Argennian »

dmw71 wrote:
Alethan wrote:"Someone should start tying off a rope so we can descend and start helping these villagers out..."
"Aye."

Son of Thunder's words still echo in Malak's mind:
"I forsee a problem, my companions, if we find ourselves in need of a hasty retreat. If we enter this crevass by rope, something may remove it, and what will be our way out?"
"Please take note of any solid walls we can attach iron spikes into."

"Incio, do you remember if there were any opportunities to place spikes? I don't know about the rest of you, but I do not look forward to being trapped down there."
Zafalia, lacking the social graces from not being around civilized folk much, butts in. " Nor do I, friend Malak. We would do well to not announce our presence, if possible. Perhaps there is a stalagmite or some other such object that we could tie the rope to in place of a spike?"

The halfling druidess prepares herself for the party's descent.

OOC: updated Zafalia's spell roster and ready to go spelunking! :)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by tkrexx »

We would do well to not announce our presence, if possible. Perhaps there is a stalagmite or some other such object that we could tie the rope to in place of a spike?"
Hmph, Son of Thunder nods, Zafalia has a point. Spikes are useful, but noisy in their use, rather like an alarm...Or a dinner bell.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by rredmond »

Just a reminder that the first 30 feet (with a waterfall a little after the 20 feet mark) of the cavern as described is posted in the Background and Maps thread.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#88 Post by Alethan »

"Let us not squander our time with unnecessary concerns, dear friends. We have plenty of rope - at least 150' or so, by my calculations - and two grappling hooks between us. We can tie one rope to a spike and wedge it with tension, quietly leaving us with a means of decent. We should use Sun of Thunder's hemp rope, for it is less costly to replace than silk. If someone should remove the rope before our return, we can use another, along with one of the grappling hooks, to re-establish our path upwards."

"If all else fails, we have two nimble friends, Malak and Incio, who could climb up with a rope, tie it off, and drop it back down for the rest."

"If someone has a better plan, then please speak up. But, by all means, let us make haste with our decision."
Ilhalevar looks about nervously, conscious of the dangers of standing out in the open in front of the entrance to a possible lair...

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by tkrexx »

Agreed. The Ranger picks a spike and his looped rope from his satchel. This is why we came to this place. The first to descend should light a torch or lantern.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#90 Post by dmw71 »

tkrexx wrote:Agreed. The Ranger picks a spike and his looped rope from his satchel. This is why we came to this place. The first to descend should light a torch or lantern.
Malak steps forward. "Here, secure that rope around my waist. I have torches and can be lowered in first."
-- Project --
-- DM --

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by tkrexx »

Ranger-knots in place. Goblinsplitter, you or I should go next. The other should wait until last.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#93 Post by Alethan »

Nuke66 wrote:Al volunteers as well.

"I would be OK with going down."
Ilhalevar smiles at Al'Zur and replies, "I believe we are all going down, brother."

She will climb down whenever. Probably one of the last, from the looks of it.

lol... how many thieves do we have in this party?? Three?

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Argennian »

Zafalia slings her spear and shield and prepares to go down third behind either the ranger or the dwarf.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by rredmond »

Day 1 – 8:20a

Between the marching order and the posts, I think we’re good.

It takes a while to get everyone situated but the ranger’s rope is sturdy and it holds, which is fine as the drop is only a bit over 8 feet. The cavern though is 10 feet wide. Now that you are down here though you see that the tunnel is cut into an uneven path, following the river’s natural course. Stalactites hang low from the ceiling, and the rock floor is treacherously slippery from the splashing stream. The subterranean air has a placid, piercing chill, all too familiar to veteran adventurers.
In the distance is the unmistakable sound of a waterfall.

Please double check that all below is correct. You all get down safely, the ceiling is about 8 foot high, but the stalactites kind of make you have to go around them every so often. There is light from above, but that will disappear soon enough after you get a few feet into the cavern. According to below you haven’t lit up a torch or lantern.

HPs: Malak - 15/15; Incio - 18/18; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 7/7; SoT - 25/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Korgul - 24/24
WIH: Malak: short sword; Incio: short sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield; Korgul: battle axe, shield
MO (10’): 1- Incio; 2- Korgul and SoT; 3- Malak and Zafalia; 4- Ilhalevar and Al’Zur; 5- Wulfgard
Consumables: Lantern - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-2/2; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-4/4, 2-2/2; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-3/3

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by tkrexx »

Sparks singe the darkness as a torch is lit. The Ranger quickly scans the slippery floor for sign other than that of his companion Incio. Realizing the party needs to keep the light as far as possible from the Elven scout he then offers it to Malak. To Incio: Lead well, Bravo, and tread with care. The Ironbeard and I will await your signals.

Torch marked off.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#97 Post by Nuke66 »

Al'Zur takes his place in the marching order, taking his time picking his steps. "It sure seems quiet." he whispers to Ilhalevar

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#98 Post by dmw71 »

tkrexx wrote:Realizing the party needs to keep the light as far as possible from the Elven scout he then offers it to Malak.
Malak accepts the torch from Son of Thunder and waits to fall into the middle of the marching order with Zafalia once the group begins moving.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Argennian »

Zafalia readies her spear and shield once upon the cold cavern floor. She looks about the riverbank here and also frowningly at the stalagtites ahead.

When Incio prepares to move forward, the druidess looks at Malak, gives him a business-like ready-nod, prepares to follow the ranger (or dwarf if he’s going third?) when they move forward. When moving forward in this position, she’ll carry her spear in her shield hand and keep some of her Greater Mistletoe to hand, in order to be ready with a spell.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#100 Post by Alethan »

Nuke66 wrote:Al'Zur takes his place in the marching order, taking his time picking his steps. "It sure seems quiet." he whispers to Ilhalevar
Ilhalevar nods and whispers in reply, "That's not always a bad thing..."

Return to “Pod-Caverns Of The Sinister Shroom”