Pathfinder Migration (Chat)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Pathfinder Chat

#1 Post by dmw71 »

hedgeknight wrote:
dmw71 wrote:I suppose if anyone else would be interested in trying out a slower, tutorial-style experience, why not? I imagine it could only help me to have other people involved to ask questions of and try different things. I can't imagine this trail period would take too long, so once I feel more comfortable (and assuming I actually do like it), I could easily see it turning into an actual game.
Anyone interested?
When I read this a little bit of pee just dribbled down my leg!! :mrgreen:

I'm in, brother > I'll help as a player and/or as a DM > whatever you need!
Awesome, dude. I was counting on you.

I already asked Greg to set me up with a forum (no private player sub-forums), so hopefully he'll get that up soon.

It may just be the two of us to start (which is totally fine by me), but maybe more people will chime in once we get rolling.

Looking forward to it, man.
Last edited by dmw71 on Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Pathfinder Chat

#2 Post by hedgeknight »

Happy New Year to us!! This is exciting > something to work on for 2015.

I'm going to start wrapping up my 1E game over on RPoL > my goal is to finish out by late spring/early summer...if not sooner. After about four years, I'm ready to move on to other things. Great group of players...well, at least three of them...the other two I won't miss.

Went to our local gaming store yesterday and looked at several PF materials and even some 5E materials which are very, very similar to 3.5 & PF. The basic rules for most of that can be easily accessed on line and WotC offers free downloads of the basics...which is pretty cool.
Winter is coming...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by dmw71 »

hedgeknight wrote: Went to our local gaming store yesterday and looked at several PF materials and even some 5E materials which are very, very similar to 3.5 & PF. The basic rules for most of that can be easily accessed on line and WotC offers free downloads of the basics...which is pretty cool.
I was interested in trying a 5E game, and even created a character for a game that was starting up on here, but the guy running it up and left the board completely. I was using the free download from WoC and, while usable, was pretty limiting. Hopefully they'll release all the rules in a SRD or something in the future. For now, though, if I'm going to try something beyond 2E, I'm committed to Pathfinder.

I bought a bunch of PDFs before realizing it was all online. It's cool, though, because I like having the PDF files. Plus, the financial commitment served as an incentive to really give the game itself (not just the APs) a legitimate shot.

Four years, man. That's a heck of a run. Maybe try recruiting the three guys you like over here? ;)
-- Project --
-- DM --

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by hedgeknight »

You may remember them > there is Surly Ned (Mike), Father Mayhem (Tim), and Cos Pendar (can't remember his real name right off). I'd love to have them come over and in fact, I think Mike frequents Dragonsfoot > goes by the name of "alchemy." I'd love to have them come over, but they are hardcore 1E players...not sure they would go for 3.5 or PF. I would actually continue with the RPoL game if I could get rid of the other two players. One rarely posts (and he's an old gaming buddy and friend of mine from college) and the other is a pain in the ass. My goal is to get rid of those two and see where that leads me.

I was reading through The Dragon's Demands (a PF adventure) and also the Hoard of the Dragon Queen (5E) > each provides pre-gen characters and I love 'em! I know part of the fun of D&D is rolling up your character, but if you wanted to do something quick and easy...to help intro players to the system, it might be easier.
Another great thing about 3.5/PF is that they have sample character builds which is easy to use to get started. Here is a pretty cool article on 5E (I know you said you were committed to PF, but it's still a good read) > http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dr ... th_Edition

Anyway, just some thoughts.
Winter is coming...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by dmw71 »

By the way, check out my signature. ;)

I haven't been able to do anything (literally) with it yet, but Greg just let me know it's set up. I'm actually almost finished reading the rules on combat, so the timing is pretty perfect.

I'm not really not sure how I want to go about this? I don't think I'm not ready to jump right in and start running an actual game, but I would like to start going through the character generation process quite a few times, trying different builds, to get a feel for it. Speaking of which, I'm not sure how/if the character sheet will work since there are so many more details now.

Maybe that will be my first step: Figuring the chatacter sheet situation out.
-- Project --
-- DM --

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by hedgeknight »

Holy crap!! Can't believe I missed that when I scrolled through the games today. I have a love/hate relationship with character builds. Takes me forever. But yes, it is a good place to start.
Winter is coming...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote: Maybe that will be my first step: Figuring the chatacter sheet situation out.
Hmm... I'm thinking the character sheet C. Steven Ross is using for his Torchbearer game, with all the skills, could be a decent starting point for a template.

Character Sheets
-- Project --
-- DM --

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by hedgeknight »

Character sheet looks really good > don't see anything missing as of yet. Here's the sheet most people use as a template:
http://www.wou.edu/~joles12/CS196/PATTH ... rSheet.pdf

Plus, there are some other fun character generators online.

I bought the Pathfinder Core Rules the day it was released at Gen Con in 2009. Sold it a couple years later when I realized I didn't really have anyone to play the game with and the online community is bat shit crazy! I still have the PDF's that came with the purchase, so I have most of the core books...except for the plethora of accessories released in the past couple of years.

I did win a 3.5 DMG on eBay last night for less than 10 bucks! I now have the PHB and the DMG...so I'm getting a little more stoked about possibly a 3.5 game sometime in the future...
Winter is coming...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by dmw71 »

I'll have to take a look at the character sheet you linked when I'm not on my phone. The sheet I followed when creating the template I did was the one from the back of the core rulebook.

Speaking of which, here are the PDFs I have purchased to date:
Core Rulebook
GameMastery Guide
Ultimate Equipment
Bestiary 1
Bestiary 2
Bestiary 3
Monster Codex

I'm not necessarily opposed to adding more in the future, but the above list should be considered the allowable rulebooks for the time being.

---

I'm hoping to be able to generate a character (or two) this weekend, but we'll see. It'll obviously be helpful to work through the entire process while filling out the template to really get a feel for its accuracy and completeness.

Feel free to do the same. :)
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

hedgeknight wrote:Character sheet looks really good > don't see anything missing as of yet. Here's the sheet most people use as a template:
http://www.wou.edu/~joles12/CS196/PATTH ... rSheet.pdf
Ha! That is the character sheet from the back of the core rulebook. Since that's the one I followed, we should be good. ;)

It's nice to have it available as a separate PDF, though, so thanks!
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by dmw71 »

Since it will be easier to track them separately, I created a 'Character Build #2' thread and moved your character there.

Let's start each new character as it's own thread, knowing they can always be consolidated later.
-- Project --
-- DM --

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by hedgeknight »

Apologies for sporadic posting the past several days > been crazy busy at work and then exhausted when I get home. Will try to do some more detailed character building this weekend.
Winter is coming...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by dmw71 »

I haven't really been able to get in much Pathfinder work the last few days myself, either. I hope to rectify that very soon.

Like, tonight soon.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by dmw71 »

Can help make sure I'm understanding weapon damage correctly?

There are two columns -- Dmg (S) and Dmg (M). Are they both used for each weapon, or just one?

Weapon Size (141, 143)
Every weapon has a size category. This designation indicates the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed.

A weapon’s size category isn’t the same as its size as an object. Instead, a weapon’s size category is keyed to the size of the intended wielder. In general, a light weapon is an object two size categories smaller than the wielder, a one- handed weapon is an object one size category smaller than the wielder, and a two-handed weapon is an object of the same size category as the wielder.

Inappropriately Sized Weapons: A creature can’t make optimum use of a weapon that isn’t properly sized for it. A cumulative –2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder. If the creature isn’t proficient with the weapon, a –4 nonproficiency penalty also applies.

The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder’s size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. For example, a Small creature would wield a Medium one-handed weapon as a two-handed weapon. If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all.

So, for my character....
A half-elf is a medium sized creature.
Both of my selected weapons fall in the "One-Handed Melee Weapons" category.
Since "a one- handed weapon is an object one size category smaller than the wielder," I believe they would use the 'Dmg (S)' column for damage.

Right?
-- Project --
-- DM --

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by hedgeknight »

Honestly, that's confusing as hell to me. That's one of the "rules" I completely ignored > longsword does d8 dmg to S/M and d12 to L > just like the old rules. ;)
Winter is coming...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by dmw71 »

hedgeknight wrote:That's one of the "rules" I completely ignored > longsword does d8 dmg to S/M and d12 to L
See, I don't like the different damage amounts depending on the size of the opponent.

Regardless, I actually found my answer: Weapon size and damage.

Now that I understand the intent of the rule, I'm fine with it. For the most part, you'll use either the 'Dmg (S)' -or- the 'Dmg (M)' column, depending upon the size of your character.
-- Project --
-- DM --

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by hedgeknight »

:light bulb: Oh yeah, now I remember this rule. Thanks for the Paizo link; it's been so long since I read or played in Pathfinder rules.
Winter is coming...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#18 Post by dmw71 »

I'm still really itching to try playing Pathfinder. I'm thinking the more detailed rules will suit me quite well. It'll be nice to have an organized, formal set of rules that define what actions can take place in a given round.

I'm also really enjoying the current 2E game which is taking up about as much free time that I have available.

It's funny, though. I'm finding myself thinking of the Pathfinder rules when making decisions in the 2E game, and may slowly start to integrate little pieces of it into that game to test things out. For starters, the maps that I'm using now, with the larger 5' squares, those I initially created to use in Pathfinder. ;)
-- Project --
-- DM --

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by hedgeknight »

Not so much Pathfinder, but 3.5 stays in my mind all the time, especially during ability checks and combat actions and such. It can be clunky, but I really like it.

Did a lot of work on my character today.
Winter is coming...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#20 Post by dmw71 »

Subject: More Anything Goes
dmw71 wrote:Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:44 pm
Stonjuz wrote:Any chance any of you are a follower of Chris Perkins' game? WW sits in once a year.
I watched a bit of one video about a half year or so ago. I was all excited that they were playing a "red box" game, before I realized it was a 4E game. I watched the first part of adventure, but didn't move on to the next video because I really don't care for that ruleset and didn't even recognize the game.
I still don't recognize the game, but how much crow am I eating now that I've taken an interest in Pathfinder?
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Dave's Pathfinder Game”