Book Two - The Psychogeography of Terror

Grognardsw
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Book Two - The Psychogeography of Terror

#181 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Reginald Wilkins, bookdealer
Reginald ponders Carcosa's strange words, and their strang meaning. "He comes to reality, unknowing chattel,"he says, more to himself than anyone else. "Who comes? Surely not Carcosa himself...." At first, Reginald wonders at the grammar of the phrase: is the chattel unknowing? Or is "he?" Or is it "reality" that is "unknowing chattel?" Or is the "unknowing chattel" a case of direct address, perhaps an insult to the reader, calling the reader an unknowing chattel? Perhaps all of the above....?

Reginald thinks. He tries to remember the name he discovered in Egyptian. Nyarlothotep. Could he be the one who "comes?" The name means "there is no peace (rest) at the gate." What would it mean for such an entity to "come to reality?" And what of Selene, the moon goddess? What is her relationship to this Nyarlothotep?

And how does the mysterious crystal fit into all this? Reginald knows now that magick is real, and that Gates can allow for travel between places, but how does this fact fit into Randolph's experience with the crystal? Randolph didn't experience Gate-travel the same way Reginald did.

It seems clear that Carcosa is preparing for someone, or something, to enter this world. How do the cult murders fit into this plan?

Reginald shakes his head. He has more questions than answers. When the time comes, he will travel with the others to the Biltmore, lost in thought.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#182 Post by Mant72 »

Dr. Morgan:

With a visible sigh of relief, Dr. Morgan hangs up the telephone after speaking with Dr. Clarke. He then turns to Reginald and Marius, "Well gentlemen, I propose we leave immediately for the Biltmore to relay to Dr. Clarke what occurred at the mural. I know we have a long day ahead of us tomorrow, but I fear discussing Reginald's experiences with Dr. Clarke and Edith cannot wait. Shall we depart?" He looks at the two men, expectantly awaiting their responses.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#183 Post by Grognardsw »

The Biltmore Hotel
Providence, RI
Sept. 15, 5:30 pm

Reginald Wilkins, Dr. Morgan and Marius Albertoni taxi over to the Biltmore Hotel.

A smiling Dr. Clarke and Edith Watson meet the men in their suite. They discuss Reginald's strange experience at the Carcosa mural in the courtyard.

The John Hay Library
Brown University
Providence, RI
Sept. 16, 10:30 am

Eddie Sharpe and Isaiah Barrlett talk with Howard Lovecraft.

The Arkham Gazette Reporter, ever observant, notices the folder Mr. Lovecraft has is quite thick with hand-written pages. Eddie wonders if that is the story Sam Archer said he wanted to read.

"Yes, the man has a prodigious imagination. I admit I don't know his address. We actually never met at either of our homes. Rather we would meet at local libraries and cafes. Though I recall he made reference once to Court Street."

Isaiah recalls the Court Street address and his visit in the apartment after the police and BOI had shown up.

In front of Mr. Lovecraft there is an open notebook that Archer discretely tries to read upside down (Know.  roll please.) Next to it is an open Encyclopedia Britanica. The pages show astronomical bodies.

"Mr. Whately, how did you first meet Mr. Carcosa?" asks Mr. Lovecraft. "What story occupies your writing energies now?"

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#184 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Clarke:

Dr. Clarke greets Dr. Morgan and Mr. Wilkins. He is surprised to see someone new. He extends his hand to the new gentleman.
"Hello , I'm Dr. David Clarke professor of Archeology at the Miskatonic University and this is Dr. Edith Walton, and you are?"

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#185 Post by Starbeard »

Marius Albertoni

The plain, no-nonsense fascist takes off his hat as they enter the Biltmore's front lobby. He whistles and loses his concentration in the decor of the place, partly in awe and partly in disgust. He is clearly unused to seeing the inside of hotels, and the shamelessly capitalist promotion of their decor. "Well, this is a fine bit of ritz," he says.

Soon he is shaking the hand of Dr. Clarke. His introduction is somewhat less awkward than it was with the other agents, as he is now beginning to relax at being in the presence of men above his station.

"Albertoni, Doctor. Marius Albertoni, of Arkham. Pleased to meet you. I'm just tagging along here, I fell in with your pals when I was looking around about the murder of a Miskatonic girl recently. Me and a reporter—Eddie Sharpe, if you know him—and a P.I. named Pymm, we all have been following that trail and fell in it together, and well, I guess it led me here to all this big mess. And let me say, I'm finding it all a bit much, but I'm here to help anyway."

makken123Tabs
Guide
Guide

#186 Post by makken123Tabs »

Eddie Sharpe as Horace Whately

"No matter," he says, but then frowns--puzzled, "But if you met in a library, how did you both know to meet up there?"
Tomorrow, I'll respond to the rest of Lovecraft's previous post.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#187 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Clarke:

"Nice to make your acquaintance Mr. Albertoni. Albertoni Italian is it? Did you have a personal connection to the poor girl? I do recall hearing of a series of murder in the Arkham area but I believe they all occurred while I was away over seas. Edith, I do believe you mentioned you read about them did you? Well Mr. Albertoni other than my colleagues here and one other individual not, I'm not aware of anyone else involved in this crime investigation other than the authorities. It seems that we have quite a few private citizens involved. Your assistance is most commendable. Please have a seat while we discuss the matter at hand."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#188 Post by Grognardsw »

makken123Tabs wrote:Eddie Sharpe as Horace Whately

"No matter," he says, but then frowns--puzzled, "But if you met in a library, how did you both know to meet up there?"
"I first met Mr. Carcosa at a literary reading at Charter's Book Shop eight months ago," says Mr. Lovecraft. "We struck up a conversation after my reading of a tale. I learned we shared similar interests in literature and authors. He expounded on his own ideas, darkly compelling. We ran into each other at various times thereafter, and I occasionally receive letters or visits from him."

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#189 Post by Fulci »

Grognardsw wrote:"I first met Mr. Carcosa at a literary reading at Charter's Book Shop eight months ago," says Mr. Lovecraft. "We struck up a conversation after my reading of a tale. I learned we shared similar interests in literature and authors. He expounded on his own ideas, darkly compelling. We ran into each other at various times thereafter, and I occasionally receive letters or visits from him."
Isaiah Bartlett, wise old man

So far, he's been keeping silent, letting the "authors" do the talking.
"Charter's? A fine establishment! Although I usually frequent it not for the fiction section, but because of their good selection of botanical atlases! Unfortunately, I never had the chance to be in Providence on any of those literary readings. Were there any other aspiring authors present? I suppose many of your readers are writers as well..."
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

makken123Tabs
Guide
Guide

#190 Post by makken123Tabs »

Eddie Sharpe as Horace Whately

"You write your stories--you don't use a typewriter?" he inquires, indicating Lovecraft's folder.

Eddie discretely tries to read the upside-down notebook.
Know 70% [dice]1d100[/dice] http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/vie ... 73#p175773 that's 89

What's the dice code?
"Mr. Whately, how did you first meet Mr. Carcosa?" asks Mr. Lovecraft. "What story occupies your writing energies now?"
"I have never met him, Mr. Lovecraft. I wrote a few letters to Mr. Carcosa after reading a criticism by him about a piece of poetry, which appeared in Weird Tales, our correspondence was facilitated by Farnsworth Wright.

"Well," says Eddie, happy to have someone show an interest in his writing,"now that you ask, I'm working on a 'snow mystery.' I've always been fascinated by exploration: Scott, Shackleton, Mawson, Amundson, etc. etc. A sub-title for my story is: Academics in Antarctica--what do you think, Mr. Lovecraft, pique your interest?"

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#191 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Reginald relays his recent experience at the mural to those at the Biltmore. He shares his thoughts about the experience (noted above) and invites the others to share what they know and/or speculate.

"The crystal that you discovered Latmos is somehow involved in this as well," he says to Drs. Clarke, Morgan, and Watson. "This book mentions a crystal as well...." he says, indicating the Pnakotic Manuscripts. "But it will take me some time to study. Perhaps on the train to New York and I can try to read further. We're still heading there in the morning, yes?"

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#192 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Clarke:

Laughs at Mr. Wilkins account.
"Mr Wilkins I do believe you have been caught up in this murder investigation and let your imagination run wild. You have been reading to many invented texts. Dr. Morgan did you see Mr. Wilkins leave our world as he say he did? It's no wonder you fell over and passed out. My dear man I believe you must have been hallucinating from blood loss or possible from a blow to the head from the hard flooring when you fell. Let us stick to the facts and dismiss these anecdotal experience. Who is this Carcosa fellow? What does he want? Mr. Albertoni, do you know of this Mr. Carcosa? Please tells us what you know of the Arkham murder and how you believe they tie in to this mystery."

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#193 Post by Mant72 »

Dr. Morgan:

Dr. Morgan turns to speak with Dr. Clarke, "Dr. Clarke, I know that you and I both pride ourselves on being men of science, logic, and reason; however, in light of our recent experiences in Latmos, there is no denying that there are unseen forces at work...things that are inexplicable...things of malice that hover just outside the borders of our comprehension. What Reginald and I witnessed at the mural was no delusional fancy of thought. Reginald did not physically disappear as our old friend Randolph did, but he most certainly was "transported"...somewhere. He tapped into these unseen forces and was rendered unconcious for some time. Please, I know what we say goes beyond all that is sensible and sane, but you have to believe us." Dr. Morgan looks at his friend with imploring hope.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#194 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Clarke:

"Very well Frank, in light of the situation I will suspend my rational thought and accept that Mr. Wilkins did indeed travel to another plane of existence. Which leaves us with the question, who is this Carcosa fellow and what does he want?"

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#195 Post by Starbeard »

Marius Albertoni

"Italian, yes," Marius responds to Dr. Clarke's inquiry. "And no, I didn't know the girl. I was out hunting and came across the body. The local police have been trying to figure things out, but they've been coming up all short. Eddie and me figured on pinning it on this traveling carnival, 'The Dark Pharaoh's Fantastic Freak Show', and it seems sure as day that the Dark Pharaoh has something to do with it, and probably a bunch of other murders. Great tall African-looking fella, he is, really into his voodoo."

When the subject of Carcosa comes up, Marius shakes his head in ignorance. "I haven't got any clue about this Carcosa. I heard Eddie Sharpe talking about him once or twice when he was filling me in on all of your leads, but that's it. On a hunch I tried mentioning the name to the Dark Pharaoh when we confronted him, but if he does know him he didn't let on. He actually seemed to think Carcosa was a place, from a couple of writers… Chambers and Bierce or something."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by Grognardsw »

Fulci wrote: "Charter's? A fine establishment! Although I usually frequent it not for the fiction section, but because of their good selection of botanical atlases! Unfortunately, I never had the chance to be in Providence on any of those literary readings. Were there any other aspiring authors present? I suppose many of your readers are writers as well..."
"Local authors and poets only, some published in literary journals and chapbooks, but none in hardback," answers Mr. Lovecraft. "Zelia Bishop, Frank Long and others. No one you've likely heard of. Where did you say you are from?"

"Yes Charter's is a fine establishment, and it is good of them to support aspiring writers. Those atlases are indeed fine pieces. Certainly required reading for hobby and professional botanists. Were that my means such that I could afford the fine first editions in that shop."

makken123Tabs wrote:Eddie Sharpe as Horace Whately

"You write your stories--you don't use a typewriter?" he inquires, indicating Lovecraft's folder. Eddie discretely tries to read the upside-down notebook.

"Well," says Eddie, happy to have someone show an interest in his writing,"now that you ask, I'm working on a 'snow mystery.' I've always been fascinated by exploration: Scott, Shackleton, Mawson, Amundson, etc. etc. A sub-title for my story is: Academics in Antarctica--what do you think, Mr. Lovecraft, pique your interest?"
Eddie / Horace Whately attempts to read Mr. Lovecraft's notebook upside down, but finds the writing too small and scribbled to decipher.

"I rarely use those new-fangled machines, prefering the flow of hand-writing," comments Mr. Lovecraft.

"I'm afraid 'Academics in Antarctica' seems too dry a title to capture the adventurous imagination of today's thrill-seeking readers. Perhaps 'Mystery' or 'Terror' in the title will pique more interest."

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#197 Post by Fulci »

Isaiah Bartlett, wise old man
Grognardsw wrote:"Local authors and poets only, some published in literary journals and chapbooks, but none in hardback," answers Mr. Lovecraft. "Zelia Bishop, Frank Long and others. No one you've likely heard of. Where did you say you are from?"

"Yes Charter's is a fine establishment, and it is good of them to support aspiring writers. Those atlases are indeed fine pieces. Certainly required reading for hobby and professional botanists. Were that my means such that I could afford the fine first editions in that shop."
"I see. Originally my family is from Ipswich. But now I reside in Arkham."

Eddie / Horace talks about his current work-in-progress piece, and mentions exploration.

He addresses both authors: "Have you heard about the recent expedition, organized by the Miskatonic University? They traveled to Turkey, to explore what is supposedly an ancient place of worship at Mt. Latmos... Fascinating, I cannot wait for the publication of their results!"
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#198 Post by Grognardsw »

Mr. Lovecraft eyes alight when he hears Arkham, and he responds to Isaiah: "You are from Arkham? I have visited many times. I find myself drawn to their history and architecture. I feel it broods mysteriously along the Miskatonic River. Ah, I may be putting too much dark romance into it. I am an afficianado in New England history."

"I have not heard of that Miskatonic expedition to Turkey. But I do take an interest in the University's research and their library holdings. I recently acquired a monograph from the archeology department."

The writer passes a staple-bound monograph across the table:
Date is 1925.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#199 Post by SocraticLawyer »

DadsAngry wrote:Dr. Clarke:

"Very well Frank, in light of the situation I will suspend my rational thought and accept that Mr. Wilkins did indeed travel to another plane of existence. Which leaves us with the question, who is this Carcosa fellow and what does he want?"
"Agreed" says Reginald. "Regardless of your opinion of what I experienced today, Carcosa remains our target. He has proven elusive and difficult to apprehend, but we must attempt to do so. Failing that, we must at least stop him.

"Perhaps we should retire for the day, and discuss these matters further on our way to New York...?"
Reginald is more intrigued than he cares to admit about this "Shunned House."

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#200 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Clarke:

"Yes Mr. Wilkins it is quite late. I believe our discussion would benefit from a good night sleep. That book you have there, referring to the Pnakotic Manuscripts, would you please leave it with us tonight? I'd like to look through it. I'm curious to see what it says about the crystal."

Return to “That Which Should Not Be (Call of Cthulhu)”