Antman9
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter i: INDUCTION

#21 Post by Antman9 »

Summary: To Find Adventure

Flashback
Hákon inquires about the origin of Lár’s last name as he leaves the little dock hut. Lár, taken aback by the stranger’s use of Icelandic. He smiles and replies in kind, “Já , faðir minn , hann var frá Svíþjóð. tunga er undarlegt . Ertu líka frá Svíþjóð?

In the Market
The party inspects the market, familiarizing themselves with the local practices and wares.

Taking a quick inventory results in: juvenile arctic fox’s, hunting falcons, various fermented and smoked fish and meats, cereal grains, coarse flours, whole grains, salt; salted reindeer, beef, mutton, lamb, goat and pork; baby goats, pigs, hunting dogs, sheep dogs; fresh milk: goat, sheep, and cow’s, various local and imported fabrics (wool, silk), tools (wood and metal), spools of yarn and spun threads; root vegetables: carrots, potatoes, and turnips. Both women and men occupy the various market stalls. Most of the women are quiet and wear a cap and blouse of simple fashion with light wool coats. What skin shows is a pale white. The men wear heavy wool trousers and thick long sleeve Vaðmál shirts with long scraggly beards.

Many of the locals give Harold many strange looks as he prances around announcing how beautiful and wonderful everyone is and announcing “Yahh!!” every few minutes. Olórin, unable to comprehend half of what the locals are saying, makes a b-line for the matur markaði building in search of some solitude, food, and drink. Johann scans the crowd for potential concubines.

Agmundr takes a more direct approach by searching for possible adventure leads and scoping the locals and their market for things of interest. Eventually he finds a notice board outside the matur markaði and discovers an announcement of potential interest. He quickly jerks the notice from the board and follows his fellow shipmates into the dining hall for some much needed R&R.

NOTICE:
To any sturdy soul of faith and blood, Northern folk, those who would widen their gaze upon the world of their forefathers, of knowledge gained and passed on, and therein turn to deeds for the greater good of men, country, and hearth. You are hereby summoned, called up in the name of your people, to banish certain evils, men and other, from this land. To brave wind, rain, and arctic blast, to gather from the four corners all manner of resources, and become men, even gods in time. To remedy ancient wounds inflicted upon and putrefying the hearts and hearth of living men.

Bear sword and flesh to Sæmundur Sigfússo in Oddi. Those who render service true shall not be denied.

Sæmundur Sigfússon

In the Matur Markaði
Inside the matur markaði is an expansive hall with massive wood pillars supporting timbers the size of a giant's torso. The massive stone blocks making up the exterior walls have been washed in a bright white on the inside. Two massive wood burning stone ovens, with multiple opening each and several open fires, are evenly spaced along the west (back) wall. Long, tall, crude wooden racks filling the southern end of the room and butting up against the south oven, are filled with various cooking pots, utensils, and food stuffs. A long heavy looking obsidian stone bar top, supported by thick timbers, separates the dining room from the kitchen. The remaining area is filled with long rustic wooden tables and benches. The smells are nearly overpowering at first but soon become tolerable and the air has a smoky appearance. Next to each stone oven is a small wooden door where young boys come and go carrying firewood and other items.

The party chooses a table at random and a young boy comes to greet them and take their order. “Velkomið að Viðurreyktetur. Kveðjur. We serve smoked lamb, pickled whale blubber, potatoes with beef fat and wild root. We serve volcanic spring water, meduwyrt mead, oxymel, mulsum, hydromel, and Ydromellum.” Once he has completed listing the fare the boy waits patiently for an answer.

“It would seem fitting for a Northern folk, deriving the greater and better part of their speech, laws, and customs from a Northern root, that the North should be to them, if not a holy land, yet at least a place more to be regarded than any part of the world beside; that howsoever their knowledge widened of other men, the faith and deeds of their forefathers would never lack interest for them, but would always be kept in remembrance. One cause after another has, however, aided in turning attention to classic men and lands at the cost of our own history.” (Project Gutenberg's Volsunga Saga)
Actions!

PC’s
Johann Konig Albrecht: Human (Euro German) Thief
Olórin 'Lord of the Breath of Arda': Human (Norse) Magic-User
Hákon Eldfjall: Human (Geat) Fighter
Agmundr Halfhand: Human (Geat) Fighter
Harold Stenson: Human (Euro-Dutch) Fighter

NPC’s
Ásmundr Ingolfsson: Captain of the Elliði
Lár Sjöberg: Dock manager
Drengur: Boy

The Bad Guys
n/a

Calendar:
1:45 pm
April 1st, 1100

Sun Rise/Set: 6:50 am/7:43 pm
Temp: 28.4°F
Visibility: 6.2 Miles
Wind: 3.5 mph Variable
Cloud: Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 59%
Moon Rise/Set: 4:55 pm/6:10 am
Moonlight: 92%
(2015-BIRK-Þorlákshöfn-Eyrarbakki)

Translations
Já , faðir minn , hann var frá Svíþjóð : Yes , my father , he was from Sweden
tunga er undarlegt . Ertu líka frá Svíþjóð? : your tongue is strange. Are you too from Sweden?
Vaðmál: Coarse, dense, undyed wool fabric typically used by the lower classes.
Kveðjur: Greetings
Velkomið að Viðurreyktetur: welcome to wood-smoked-eats

Meduwyrt: The meadowsweet (Filipendula ulmaria). Is used by the Anglo-Saxons to give additional flavor to their mead.
Ydromellum: Apples and honey fermented together, usually in water but one recipe gives wine.
Oxymel: A mixture of vinegar, honey and water.
Mulsum: Wine and honey or wine, water and honey.
Hydromel: Honey diluted in water (becomes mead when fermented).
Last edited by Antman9 on Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by MonkeyWrench »

[Harold Stenson – Human, Euro-Dutch - Lvl 1 Fighter] (HP: 9/9) (AC: 4)
Action: Ordering the food!

Harold gives the young boy a wide smile nodding as he lists off what they offer. "Give me smoked lamb with meduwyrt mead! And I shall pay for a larger portion Yahh! I have a hunger for lamb you see!"
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#23 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Olórin sighs hand rubbing his temples "I should have studied a translation spell I can't understand a darned thing these people speak."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by Nordbo »

Hákon Eldfjall, Geat Fighter (Lvl 1, HP:8, AC: 3])
Action: Acknowledge, munch, swig, scan, grope

Hákon nods to Lár "Ja, frá Svíþjóð. Alfheim.". After ordering the same as Harold he scans this place, too, for healthy young nubile ladies. The first one he sees, he will grab and snog.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#25 Post by badams30 »

Johann Konig Albrecht - Human Euro German - Thief 1 HP 6/6 AC: 5
Action: Take in surroundings, sit down

Johann enters and winces, waving his hand in front of his face as if to fan away the odors of the establishment. "Oh my, that smells, uh... em... interesting. Ugh. Oh well." He follows Harold and sits near him looking about to see if any attractive ladies are present. If anyone's gaze meets his, he cheerfully smiles and waves with a hearty "Guten Tag!"

For the moment, he'll order an ale and some bread, and he'll sit back and watch. If any ladies are about who don't look like elephant seals or whatnot, he'll size them up, planning his next move, temporarily forgetting about adventure.

FlightlessScotsman
Tracker
Tracker

#26 Post by FlightlessScotsman »

Agmundr Halfhald Geat Fighter (Lvl 1, HP: 10, AC:3)

Actions:
Sharing the notice from the bill-hoarding

Agmundr sets out to find his shipmates, asking people on the street where they might have gone in "common" Norse and strains in turn to understand the strange local dialect. "Where did the crazy newcomers get to?" He implores, glaring with his one good eye and his ruin of a face.
"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do." - Larry Kersten

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by Antman9 »

In the Open Market
Having found a notice of some import Agmundr turns to search for his shipmates to get a bit of translating. He takes a quick survey of the market place and sees no sign of them. He begins asking people on the street as to their whereabouts. He eventually finds a young boy, now scared into a milky-white state from Agmundr's appearance, who speaks common a bit more clearly than most, and gets pointed to the Matur Markaði with a frantic waving hand. He soon finds his shipmates ordering meat and drinks. He follows suit.

In the Matur Markaði

The young boy listens carefully to each order and runs off to ensure they are served promptly. While the drinks are being retrieved Johann and Hákon both spot a young bar maid traipsing around taking orders and both jump up at the same instant with intent to woo her. Before they can mutter a word of argument over who shall or shan’t have the wench, the main door flies open slamming against the wall revealing a burly mass of muscle-bound meat.

A hulking Viking, some 7+ feet tall with rusty blonde hair, squeezes through the door and looks about the place. A young boy, whom the party recognizes as the drengur who brought them to the market, squeezes between the Vikings legs, points in their direction, and says, “Það er þá þar !” and departs.
SnowViking_BenSimonsen08.jpg
SnowViking_BenSimonsen08.jpg (48.45 KiB) Viewed 764 times
The Viking completes his entrance by standing to his full height. He eyes the party, squinting his dark eyes, and makes a b-line for their table. The young boy serving the party arrives with their drinks just in time to see the Viking arrive and hides behind Agmundr, figuring he is the toughest of the lot. His attempt to hide is futile, however, as the Viking addresses him first.

With hands on hips the Viking tells the boy, “að gott efni sem þú bjáni .” The boy stares at the Viking, scared out of his wits, until he is told, “Nú, drengur !” The boy runs off with the drinks, leaving the party in the presence of the hard Viking.

He looks each person over with an interested eye, places a massive hand to his chest and says, “Góðan dag! I am Valdemar Kvalheim, son of Agmundr, son of Guðfriðr. You are here to seek fara, orðstírr, how do you say, adventure. Yes that is it. Lár Sjöberg spoke to me of your arrival. We are seeking þróttigr virðar such as you. We will give you chance to become great men.” He takes a moment to let his words sink in. While he does so the boy returns with massive mugs of mead, places them on the table as quickly as possible, and runs away.

It is best you find here in Snæland. Drink and be well.” He pulls a large knife from its scabbard, a sword by Human standards, and digs the tip in the hard surface of the table, prying at the planks, giving each man ample time to taste the mead. Any who drink find the mead of exceptional quality and stout. Valdemar waits a reasonable amount of time before downing his own mug and carefully wiping his beard with a rag attached to his belt. Once he is convinced he has everyone’s attention he continues: “Hrafn Haengsson, son of Ketil Haeng, has trausted Sæmundur Sigfússon with cleansing our sváss land of the horrors unearthed by men of lesser mind. You have honor, no? You will accept such honor, no?” Having had his fill of words Valdemar strokes his long full beard and watches the men drink while he awaits their reply.

Before anyone has a chance to say a word a small Viking boy, clad in similar gear and a spitting image of Valdemar, yet no more than 4’ tall, strolls into the Matur Markaði and hails any who care to listen, “Hagl ! ég er Arnþórr, sonur Valdemar, sonur Agmundr.” He, like his father looks about the room before taking a position near Valdemar and acting the part of a statue, thus allowing all in his presence to view his person.

Actions!

PC’s

NPC’s
Valdemar Kvalheim, son of Agmundr, son of Guðfriðr: First captain to Hrafn Haengsson, charged with protecting and assisting Sæmundur Sigfússon in his task of cleansing the land of old horrors. Pic source
Arnþórr Kvalheim, son of Valdemar, son of Agmundr: Son of Valdemar Kvalheim

The Bad Guys
n/a

Calendar:
2:30 pm
April 1st, 1100

Wind: 3.5 mph N
Cloud: Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 55%

Translations
Það er þá þar !: That is them there!
að gott efni sem þú bjáni .: The good stuff you fool.
Nú, drengur !: Now, boy!
Góðan dag!: Good day!
orðstírr: Fame, renown
fara: Fame
þróttigr: Mighty, strong
virðar: Men
sváss: Beloved, sweet
Hagl ! ég er: Hail! I am
sonur: Son of

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by Nordbo »

Hákon Eldfjall, Geat Fighter (Lvl 1, HP:8, AC: 3])
Action: Cop a feel, gulp, hail

Hákon, holding his right, tattooed arm tightly around the barmaid's (slim? ample?) waist, heartily accepts the offered mead (his 3rd already since setting ashore), pours it all down his hoarse throat, lets out a massive <buuurrp> and raises the tankard to greet Valdemar (in his heavily broken east-Norse): "By Sleipner's snorre ! Så this fish-stinking eyja hefur alvöru menn og konur trots allt!"* while casting sly glances on the viking's intriguing sword/knife hybrid.

*"By Sleipnir's reproductive organ! So there are real men and women on this fish-stinking isle after all!"
Last edited by Nordbo on Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreyWolfVT

#29 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Olórin smiles at the offer of free mead so thrilled he speaks in his native tongue "Ánægð að sjá að það eru alvöru tilboð um ævintýri hér mun ég taka tilboði um ævintýri og heiðra þú býður"

icelandic was all i could find to get as close to norse as i could.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Action: Accepting the Honor, all of the Honor!

Harold finishes his mead and takes a large bite from the lamb he ordered, if it had arrived while they were listening to the viking. Once his mouth is empty he stands up with a wide flourish of his arms, as he speaks his strikes different poses for brief moments to add more emphasis to his words, "Yahh!! I hear honor?!" He strikes a pose here, letting his arm muscle bulge sporadically, "I hear adventure?!" Another pose, one leg now resting on his chair as he looks the viking in the eyes, his bald head gleaming even in the darker shelter of the hut they are in, "You have found one yah! I will be joining! For such honor! and adventure! and beauty!" Harold finishes with a flourish of movement as he steps closer to the large viking, his head cranes up to look at the much taller viking man, giving him a wide smile and a glint in his eye, "I am Harold! My beautiful and courageous friends and I shall accept your request!
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#31 Post by badams30 »

Action: I ACCEPT too!

Johann sighs as Hakon shimmies up to the barmaid first, then his attention is averted by the large man entering the establishment. He listens to the long dialogue and then watches Harold stand up and do his thing. Smiling a broad smile, Johann stands up with a flourish, pushes his cloak back and says with a sweeping wave of his hand "I am Johann KONIG Albrecht! And YES! Yes, as my magnificent friend here says, I too shall accept!"

Johann glances across the faces assembled and with a wide, toothy grin he clenches his fist and does a graceful fist pump and then nods approvingly at Harold.

OOC: How can any force oppose such beautiful and capable people?

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by Nordbo »

Hákon Eldfjall, Geat Fighter (Lvl 1, HP:8, AC: 3)
Action: Query

Hákon spits out some gristle, burps again, points at Valdemar's dagger/sword and cockily asks him: "Huru många jætteman hafa skarpþand þinn dræpð?"*

*roughly: "How many giants has your sharp-toothed friend slayed?"

FlightlessScotsman
Tracker
Tracker

#33 Post by FlightlessScotsman »

Agmundr "Halfhand" Human (Geat) Figther (LVL:1, HP: 10, AC 3)
Action: Replies to Valdemar

"Of course we . . ." He cuts himself off and casts a dubious glance at his ridiculous, primping, posing companions "Of course I am an honorable man, but before I hire my spear out to a stranger I would meet your master and learn more of the task he would set us on. That is to say, I would know his mind, before I make up mine own." Turning to his shipmates, "Is this well enough with you comrades?"
"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do." - Larry Kersten

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by Antman9 »

In the Matur Markaði

Hákon spots himself a curvaceous maiden and grabs hold of her for a bit of, er, affection? She wriggles and squirms in his grasp as he addresses Valdemar. She punches him a good one in his inky neck, manages to escape his grasp, and runs off shouting, “Ahh ! Halda mits þína til sjálfum þér , heiðnir dýrið !” Valdemar laughs and says, “Our women, they are feisty an’ red-lipped every one.

Translation: Ahh! Keep thy mits to thyself, heathen beast!

Valdemar, hearing a familiar language, turns to Olórin and says, “Oh! En Norþman! Mitt hjerte er varmet på dine ord . Vi ønsker deg velkommen til vår sak .” He walks up and gives Olórin a hearty shake with both hands. “Jeg er beæret over at du er her .

Translation: Oh! A Northman! My heart is warmed at your words. We welcome you to our cause.
Translation: I am honored you are here.

GreyWolfVT
I believe Norwegian comes the closest to Norse. Then you could use Google. Or you can stick with Icelandic.
“Norwegian is the current spoken language of Norway. It evolved from Old Norwegian (also known as New Norse), which came from the old West Norse dialect.”
English: I am glad to see there is real adventure here. I will accept your offer of adventure and honor.
Norwegian: “Jeg er glad for å se at det er ekte eventyr her . Jeg vil godta tilbudet av eventyr og ære.
That is when Harold and Johann begin their flamboyant introductions, posing and announcing themselves with a flourish of waving and muscle posing gestures. Valdemar takes a step back from Olórin and stares at the two men with a strange eye. “Your custom is strange to my eyes. I have never seen such elaborate display of greeting. Though I do not understand all, I am honored you will join our cause.

When Hákon inquires of Valdemar’s large knife he chuckles, “Ó, það hefur séð hlut sinn . Eflaust stál yðar smakka risastór fljótlega . Ha !

Translation: Oh, it has seen its share. No doubt your steel shall taste of giant soon too. Ha!

Agmundr takes a more cautious approach than his shipmates by asking to see Valdemar’s master. Valdemar takes on a serious look and approaches Agmundr. He places a hand on his shoulder and says, “You are wise man. It would be my pleasure to take you to him. Our Karve awaits at the docks. We shall depart at your leisure to see my master, Sæmundur Sigfússon, in Oddi. You are welcome to walk there, though the journey is long and rife with trouble. The choice is yours friend. I will honor either, as well as that of your friends.” Valdemar downs another mug and walks to the door, his son following at his side. They both turn back as they reach the door and Valdemar says, “We will await your answer at the docks, and then turns and leaves the Matur Markaði.

Actions!

PC’s

NPC’s
Valdemar Kvalheim, son of Agmundr, son of Guðfriðr: First captain to Hrafn Haengsson, charged with protecting and assisting Sæmundur Sigfússon in his task of cleansing the land of old horrors. Pic source

The Bad Guys
n/a

Calendar:
2:45 pm
April 1st, 1100

Wind: 3.5 mph N
Cloud: Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 55%

Translations
Ahh ! Halda mits þína til sjálfum þér , heiðnir dýrið !: Ahh! Keep thy mits to thyself, heathen beast!
Oh! En Norþman! Mitt hjerte er varmet på dine ord . Vi ønsker deg velkommen til vår sak .: Oh! A Northman! My heart is warmed at your words. We welcome you to our cause.
Jeg er beæret over at du er her .: I am honored you are here.
Ó, það hefur séð hlut sinn . Eflaust stál yðar smakka risastór fljótlega . Ha !: Oh, it has seen its share. No doubt your steel shall taste of giant soon too. Ha!

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Action: Sweeto!

Harold sits back down in his seat, a smile on his face and a mirror like gleam shining from his bald head. He gives a hearty chuckle to his companions, "Yahhh! My friends! We are good for honor, we shall go when all is ready, Yah?"

GreyWolfVT

#36 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Olórin "Sorry I can speak in the common tongue if that suits better. Yes well met brother northlander. Forgive me I am a bit more refined than most of our lands. Was educated by some of the men of the Euro sects of the world." greeting the man with the typical hand shake of the northmen. just like a typical nothman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTKsCDesi5U

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#37 Post by badams30 »

Action: Eat, drink, ready to go when others are

Johann smiles at Harold, then glances at Agmundr and gives him a thumbs up. "Of course, that sounds perfect! And I have your back, my friend!" Johann continues to smile like a yokel, glancing around and nodding at the occupants. Once everyone is ready to go, he will join them.

So long as everyone agrees to the proposal, he does too...

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by Nordbo »

Hákon Eldfjall, Geat Fighter (Lvl 1, HP:8, AC: 3)
Action: Agree (too) loudly

Laughing heartily at the local lady's rebuttal, Hákon wipes the froth out of his beard, slams the tankard down, raises his sword 'Drykkjumaður' right up in the air, and brings it down violently slicing the tankard in two (causing the surrounding people to be splattered with mead), then hollers: "Já! We kill giants!"

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#39 Post by Antman9 »

In the Matur Markaði
After Valdemar leaves, the party finishes their meal, gulps down a few more pints of grog, and then head toward the docks. On their way through the open market an old lady, hunched, contorted, and bent at various angles, parks herself directly in their path, and tilting her head at an extreme angle, says in a cackling high pitched tone, “You have come to this land for fortune, no? You have come to this land to conquer, no? You will find only despair, hatred, and evil. You will encounter death and it will follow you always. DO NOT linger in the marsh or the field or the lee of the stone or in the mountain crypt or on the stone top. You will find only fear in these places. Spirits roam these places in search of domicile, in search of warmth. Your warmth they will find, and take it they will. Mark my words vígra karla.” She gawks at the now staring vendors and patrons of the open air market and with a loud cackle and a sharp “CLAP!” of her crooked hands she dissipates into thin air.
Translation: Fighting men

The local vendors and shoppers flee the scene causing a great ruckus. Feminine screams and cursing men trail off into the distance as they depart the market leaving their wares behind and their stalls empty.

Seeing not hide nor hair of the old lady the party is forced to continue on toward the docks while the locals scatter all willy-nilly-like. Arriving at the dock the party finds one of the locals speaking in an animated fashion with Valdemar; waving his arms, speaking loudly, and pointing in the direction of the party and the Matur Markaði. Valdemar seems to be taking the man’s excitement very well, listening patiently and nodding his head occasionally. As the party approaches, Valdemar begins to speak to the man, “They are not your concern and they have nothing to do with her. Let this be. We will deal with your problems in time. Now go and make peace with the locals.” Valdemar turns to the party and says, “The bæ höfðingi. He has been asking us to deal with the strange woman, you may have just witnessed, disturbing the locals. Hrafn Haengsson has charged us with eradicating ghosts of our past. Forces work here which we do not comprehend. Your presence has been sensed, even in such a short period. Your path will not be easy one.
Translation: Town chief

He points to a nearby Karve. “You have chosen wise friends. Our ship, the Gokstad, is yours. We all row. It is our way. It is not beautiful ship but is seaworthy. Come, we depart before locals become nervous.

The Karve Ship
Karves (or Karvi) were a small type of longship with broad hull, somewhat similar to the knarr cargo ships.[1] Karves were used for both war and ordinary transport, carrying people, goods or livestock. Because they were able to navigate in very shallow water, they were also used for coasting. Karves had broad beams of approximately 5 m (17 feet), were up to 21 m (70 feet) in length, and allowed for up to 16 oars.
The Gokstad
gokstadschematic.jpg
gokstadschematic.jpg (244.01 KiB) Viewed 735 times
In the Gokstad
Any who enter the Karve must row. There are 10 other men, lesser in stature, locals mostly, already manning oars and waiting for orders. Valdemar waits for the party to take an oar and after taking one himself gives the order to shove off. The team of men begin to chant in rhythm and the Gokstad moves east/southeast along the coast, toward the mouth of the Þjórsá river, some 35 miles away. The ship maintains a healthy distance from shore at all times. Valdemar calls a rest every 40 minutes and after 5 hours of rowing anchors on a shallow point along a barren stretch land, well away from shore . The night is spent sleeping on the deck of the Gokstad under the cold blue stars and mottled clouds.

Around 5:30 am a loud moaning sound rouses everyone on board the Gokstad. Valdemar lights a torch and yells out, “Take arms,” After breaking frost from blankets and rising in the crisp dry sea breeze, sleep falling from every eye, 3 large florescent undulating slug-like bodies, roughly 5’ in length, and 2’ in girth, are be seen, between the flickering yellow of the torch light and the dappled moonlight, wriggling their way over the gunwales. A fourth Giant Florescent Sea Slug has fixed itself to the face of one of the oarsmen and blood streams down the man’s neck. A gurgling moan emanates from the conjoined bodies, most likely that of the man. Handing the torch to another oarsman, Valdemar moves to the conjoined mass of flesh and tries to pry them apart. A brief moment later he steps back revealing a slimy mass of goo stretching between his hands and that of the Giant Sea Slug. His hands glow eerily for a brief moment and then fade. Valdemar frantically attempts to wipe the goo free on anything he can find, but seems to have difficulty in freeing himself from it.
dori2.gif
dori2.gif (74.74 KiB) Viewed 735 times
Pic Source: Wyrm-in-Lagarfljot

Actions!

Rate of Travel: 2 knots (~2.3 mph)
Destination: Oddi

PC’s

NPC’s

The Bad Guys
(4) Giant Florescent Sea Slugs (Pic Source)

Calendar:
5:30 am
April 2nd, 1100

Sun Rise/Set: 6:43 am/8:21 pm
Temp: 24.8°F
Wind: 13.8 mph ENE
Cloud: Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 50%
Moon Rise/Set: 6:10 pm (4/2)/6:21 am (4/2)
Moonlight: 96%

Translations
vígra karla : Fighting men
bæ höfðingi : Town chief

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Action: To Arms!!

Harold grabs his two-handed Battlehammer and rushes towards the nearest slug, swinging down towards the slimy creature while the still visible moonlight sends a gleam glowing across the mans bald head, the salty breeze of the sea moving his thick mustache as he yells out in combat, "Crush the enemies! And see them driven before us!! Yahh!!!!"

Battle Hammer: Init: [1d10] = 6, To Hit: [1d20+2] = 13+2 = 15, Damage: [1d8+2] = 6+2 = 8

Return to “The Völsunga Chronicles (BECMI)”