Action Thread 1

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Action Thread 1

#1 Post by ToniXX »

Day 1 – early evening (in the Tavern of the Crimson Nymph)

You take your seats at the table in the center of the tavern. A waitress comes over and takes your drink orders, then leaves. Francisco notices a group enter the tavern hall through the kitchen door. He nudges Cis and Nunyet who sit at either side of him, who then follow his eyes to the same group. Kurn and Brok take notice as well.

This group consists of a woman in her early 30’s, wearing leather armor and matching bracers, tall leather boots, and a short sword on her back. She is accompanied by a human fighter type, as well as a dwarf wielding a huge battle axe. The woman has an official air about her as she surveys the room. Cis notices the half-orc in the corner perk up a little at the sight of this group. The half-orc watches her as she moves about the tavern with her bodyguards.

This group stops at your table and the woman introduces herself: Hello, gentlemen. I am Cecilia Geth, daughter of the governor of Newiron, and head council to the mayor of Craldash. The mayor has tasked me with finding a capable group willing to help him with a problem he has. My associates here have been watching you during your stay in town and feel that you'd be fit for the job. The pay is good and any treasure you find will be yours to keep, along with accolades from the mayor and the rest of the town. If you are interested, I'll tell you more.

With that she pauses, waiting for a reply.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Action Thread 1

#2 Post by migellito »

Kurn, very seriously, says "A problem for the city is a problem for us all, my dear lady. I am only a simple monk, but I would do what I can to assist you."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by Alethan »

Francisco, in mid-drink, coughs on his mead at the statement made by his friend, Kurn. he attempts to cover it up by quickly standing and brushing imaginary crumbs off of his lap.

"*Ahem* Pardon me, Miss...? Geth?" Francisco asks with a wink, looking up from his slight bow. He clears his throat. "As my tonsure'd friend was saying, a problem for the city is indeed a problem for us all! But Kurn misspoke when he asked if only he could be of assistance. You see, where Kurn goes, we all go. So... what can WE do for this fine city?"
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by ToniXX »

Cecilia sits down at an open chair at the table. Her body guards stand behind her, the dwarf with his weapon still in hand. She continues:

As I'm sure you're aware, there is war to the north. My spies in the Newiron Hills have recently reported on some activity at an abandoned temple to the west, in a particularly lawless area. It seems that a garrison of Red Blade agents and their orc warriors have moved onto the temple grounds. Your job is to remove them or at least run them off, and return to us any information you can gather. I can offer you 250gp each as payment and to cover expenses, and another 100gp will be rewarded to each survivor upon your return, as long as the mission was a success.

She pauses and sizes up each member of the party. You seem like a capable group... more capable than anyone who's come though our burgh in the the last couple months. I can give you the information that I know about the western Newiron Hills, as well as a detailed map on the location of the temple. Are you up to the task?
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Computer +1 »

Yarl gets up and walks over to the table in a way that can only be described as full of violence.

If you think these pukes are gonna make it through Newiron you need to get your head checked.

He smiles a smile without any joy or goodness in it as he stops at the table.

That is unless you have me to guide ya

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Argennian »

Brok also stands and offers a deep bow and flourish of his hands to the Lady Cecilia as she introduces herself to the party, hoping his knowledge of etiquette and courtoise will curry a favorable impression with her. Ahh, well met indeed, Milady! Your close observance of our group is now validated, and certainly befitting your high wisdom, capability and station to be sure. You may consider us from this moment forward to be in your service, Milady. My name is Sterling, Brok Sterling esquire. I am personally yours to command in any way you may see fit! Brok remains standing until Cecilia takes a seat. He makes eye contact with and offers a respectful nod to her bodyguards.

Computer +1 wrote:Yarl gets up and walks over to the table in a way that can only be described as full of violence.

If you think these pukes are gonna make it through Newiron you need to get your head checked.

He smiles a smile without any joy or goodness in it as he stops at the table.

That is unless you have me to guide ya
Brok, afraid that the sudden presence of the uncouth savage will spark violence, attempts to intercede on behalf of all those present. He stands with a quick flourish of his left hand and instantly dons a grandiose smile. Ahh, an available guide to Newiron as it were, indeed! I must note by his rugged look and sense of apparent conviction that he comes with certifiable references to wit! I am sorry, my good man, I failed to get your name. Master...? Brok keeps the fake smile on his visage for the benefit of the moment but fixes the rude half-orc with a sober and telling stare.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by migellito »

Kurn pulls a chair out next to himself, and looking at the newcomer says "why not have a seat?"

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Computer +1 »

They call me BlackTongue and ya can keep yer seat until this is settled.

Yarl looks first at the bodyguards, sizing them up, then his attention turns to Cecilia as his hand tightens around the handle of his club.

I've pissed on every rock on shrub in Newiron. I know the tribes up there and they sure as hell know me. You want a job done you gotta get the muscle to see it through.

He spits on the floor.

But I ain't cheap and this ain't no easy thing to be done. You pay 300 up front each and you pay 150 for each of us that sets out whether we all make it back or not. Only two of us make it back you give em the pay for the whole group. Its not like you can't afford it, you must be thinkin' we all be making it back, right? Either that you you figure you'd let whichever fool you send up die real cheap to get yer job done.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by Alethan »

Completely ignoring the rude behavior and manner of the newcomer, Francisco turns to him and sticks out his hand... then hesitantly pulls it back.

"Well met, my, ah, my brash young fellow! Blackie, is it? I'm Francisco. Your friend there with the chair and the shiny spot on his head is Kurn. And you've just met Brok. Let's see... " He points at the remaining party members. "That is Cis there what looks like a tree and Nun is the man with the hammers. I dare say your methods are quite direct, aren't they? About as eloquent as beating a man up with a... stick" He notices the club in Black Tongue's hand and gulps loudly. "But..." He then turns his head to Cecillia. "He does have a point about the pay..."

OOC: How does that go? Kill them with kindness? ;)

leebrown1990
Strider
Strider

#10 Post by leebrown1990 »

Cis feeling threatened by the approach of the Half-Orc finds himself reverting back to the broken common taught to him by his Mother. The loyalty to his new friends see's him on the defensive, he approaches the Half-Orc placing a hand on Fransico's shoulder.

"Half-Orc. You make demands. She brings this job to us? As for need of guide; Orcs despoil all they touch, the hills and the skies will guide me."

Taking a deep breath, Cis collects himself.

"I haven't spent many nights in the City. But the first thing I learnt is manners go along way. My friends can teach you some if you travel with us perhaps? I promise you find no better men to fight beside.

"And Orc tongue may be of use if you speak it? Only if to tell those monsters whose spear it is that takes their last breath."

OOC: Cis has no love for Orcs!!!

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#11 Post by ToniXX »

Cecilia is turned off by the half-orc's attitude, but she's seen worse and doesn't consider him a threat to her or the tavern's safety. She muses for a bit, then says: "My starting price is firm, but the mayor may be willing to up the bonuses if the mission is a success. And any treasure you find along the way is yours to keep as well. We are not interested in treasure, only removing the garrison from our lands and any intelligence you may find along the way.

This half-orc barbarian may be of use to you, if indeed he is familiar with the orc tribes to the west.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by Computer +1 »

Yarl ignores Cis keeping his attention locked on Cecilia

So the starting price is firm, what about when the job is done? If this job takes a group then you should pay for the whole group even if not everyone makes it back. 'Specially since I doubt most of this lot will make it back at all.

He looks down for a moment then returns his eye to Cecilia.

If someone dies their family deserves their share after all, the survivors can figure that out. You wouldnt ask someone to risk their lives not knowing their loved ones would be taken care of would ya? Treasure don't mean shit if you ain't alive to spend it.

Yarl drops the head of his club on the table and waits for Cecilia to mull it over.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by rredmond »

Nunyet follows all thats going on, particularly the half-Orc, and remains ready to defend his comrades though he is excited at the prospect of action.
Cleaning out an evil temple he nods quietly to himself not realizing that he spoke out loud.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#14 Post by ToniXX »

Cecilia motions to her dwarf bodyguard who leans into her. She whispers something into his ear, he nods and says 'yes m'lady. I'm sure the gov'nor would agree to that. This is as important to him as it is to the mayor'

Cecilia turns to the half-orc and says, 'Okay, the bonus will be for all party members that start out, which, if you include Blacktongue here, is six, even if everyone does not make it back alive. As I said, I have a good feeling that you all are the best for this task.'

She looks back at the rest of the group 'So do we have a deal?'

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by Computer +1 »

Yarl smiles and lifts his club up to rest on his shoulder.

I'm in.

He then stomps over to the seat offered by Kurn, plops down, drops his club on the table, leans back and relaxes.

Now I need a drink.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by Alethan »

Francisco looks for agreement from the rest of the group and, after receiving several curt nods, turns to Cecilia and asks, "Where do we sign up?"

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Argennian »

ToniXX wrote:... Cecilia turns to the half-orc and says, 'Okay, the bonus will be for all party members that start out, which, if you include Blacktongue here, is six, even if everyone does not make it back alive. As I said, I have a good feeling that you all are the best for this task.'

She looks back at the rest of the group 'So do we have a deal?'
Brok nods deeply to Lady Cecilia. My companions and I are at your service, milady.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#18 Post by ToniXX »

Cecilia pulls a scroll case from the pouch on her belt, opens it and removes a rolled up piece of parchment. She unrolls it on the center of the table, and begins.

"This is a map of western Newiron. We are here" she points to Craldash on the map (lower right), "and the abandoned temple is here" she points to the temple (center left). "The dark lines are roads, and the dashed lines are trails. The temple is about a day’s march from Craldash and I strongly suggest you stay on the roads or trails. There are warring tribes of gnolls in the Dread Copse, and kobold in the Dark Canyon," she points at each of these locations on the map, "and heavy cavalry of the Ardun army will be traveling on the roads."

"Any questions?"

(Click the map for a bigger version)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by Alethan »

ToniXX wrote:Cecilia pulls a scroll case from the pouch on her belt, opens it and removes a rolled up piece of parchment. She unrolls it on the center of the table, and begins.

"This is a map of western Newiron. We are here" she points to Craldash on the map (lower right), "and the abandoned temple is here" she points to the temple (center left). "The dark lines are roads, and the dashed lines are trails. The temple is about a day’s march from Craldash and I strongly suggest you stay on the roads or trails. There are warring tribes of gnolls in the Dread Copse, and kobold in the Dark Canyon," she points at each of these locations on the map, "and heavy cavalry of the Ardun army will be traveling on the roads."

"Any questions?"
"Aye, where's the best place in town to buy a horse?"

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#20 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote:"Aye, where's the best place in town to buy a horse?"
"The stablemaster, located near the northern gate, can outfit you with pack animals, but he is short on proper mounts, as they are all currently in the employ of the army."

Return to “Incursion into Newiron - OSRIC”