March 4/5 Descent into the Under City - The Dwarven Pipeline

Mister-Kent
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: March 4: Descent into the Under City - The Dwarven Pipel

#81 Post by Grognardsw »

Biblo, libriomancer

"You are indeed a king among dwarves for your tireless efforts down here," responds Biblo to the dwarf tunnel engineer. "How appears the integrity of the pipes? Are we getting closer to this alleged Urchin Queen?"

The scribe carefully notes each twist and turn they take, applying his considerable memorization powers to mentally map the way.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#82 Post by Mister-Kent »

The Dwarf takes you through several rooms with space to stand--before you do, however, your guide insists you remain crouched. Looking above, you see slots in the wall, about chest or shoulder height on an average human, but high enough for even the tallest dwarf to walk beneath safely.

"The pipes were made for small folk. It's not friendly down here for the tall," your guide explains. "I turned off most of the traps, but if any one o' you were to stand up in here you'd find yourselves a bit shorter." He snickers gleefully and makes repeated sounds like an axe on the chopping block.

Gul-Marach
Sister Krystyn sighs doubtfully, but defers to your judgment. "Let it be as you say. Matron Elliya says you may be the wisest among the Cathedral's clerics." Her tone is stern, in a "please don't mess this up" manner.

Tobias
Gachard clears his throat. "Er, yes--I mean, I'm not so much a Delver as a missionary. Under Gul-Marach's leadership, the Sister and I will abide in the Urchin Queen's court and establish Vorn's church there." His tone is determined and full of hope.

"But perhaps I am to be a Delver for the moment, traveling alongside you all. I am glad for the opportunity!"

Biblo
The dwarf grumbles at your flattery, but is all too eager to discuss the pipework again."Here--where the pipes begin to descend--" he notes. You notice the slight slope downwards as you crawl. "At their lowest point, the pipes meet the aqueduct. But I'm going to see you off above the cistern…"

The tunnel system culminates in a circular platform with two arches on either side. Beyond the platform lies the darkness of a great cavern and the sound of rushing water below you. Both arches have an oblong key slot on the right pillar. The right archway has an handle sticking out of its slot, and the dwarf waddles over to it, twisting it clockwise. As he turns it, the platform quivers, and a mechanical bridge extends to the cliffside across the way.

After turning the handle, the Dwarf pulls the "key" out of the arch, revealing a small silver pick, immediately familiar to the party. "The other bridge is out until I find the other key," the Dwarf explains. "There's nothing for you there anyway, just the dwarven vaults."

"No matter. Out this way--across, through the tunnel to Old Vornheim and that blasted upside-down tower, the Inverse Spire." He points across the bridge to the cliffside, where a triangular cave opening leads to a dark tunnel. "Beyond the spire, the Urchin Queen dwells."

The Dwarf looks to each of you in turn, with special consideration for Biblo, being the unofficial ambassador of the party. "I…am glad you chased the Caverners away. For that, I will extend fair warning. Do not return this way. Once I re-enter the pipeways, I will reactivate the traps, and all will be made secure from intruders once more. For your own skins, never return to the dwarven pipeline!"

He stands by the pipe entrance and eagerly awaits your departure.

Okay--enough literal dungeon crawling--out of the pipes you're all free to stand. Marching order please!

Also, plans? Biblo has handily memorized the pipe route, so a return trip wouldn't be difficult. You also know where most of the traps are along the way.
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Marullus »

Gul-Marach catches Biblo's eye and gives him an expectant look as the dwarf works the silver-pick key in the pillar. There is a lot of questionable morality involved in delving, but he tries to remain clear on the line between reclamation and theft from an undeserving party.

"Thank you for your aid, Master Dwarf," says Gul-Marach with a deferential nod. What causes your ire at the inverse spire? What should we expect thereafter?"

He unwraps his glowing iron ball once more from its leather wrapping. "Your service to the city of Vornheim is a gift to Vorn himself. I offer you this eternal light to aid you in exchange for your continued fealty. Should any others from above, be they from the White Way or the Dark Arts, come to your tunnels, simply send word to the Great Cathedral." He holds out the ever-glowing orb and watches his response.

How are we on time? Do we need to camp before proceeding further?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Grognardsw »

Biblo, illusionist
Mister-Kent wrote:"I…am glad you chased the Caverners away. For that, I will extend fair warning. Do not return this way. Once I re-enter the pipeways, I will reactivate the traps, and all will be made secure from intruders once more. For your own skins, never return to the dwarven pipeline!"
"Thank you good dwarf, we much appreciate your efforts," says Biblo. "We found your missing silver pick in our travels."

The spellsage gives the dwarf the axe.

"If we do not return this way, do you suggest another route?"

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#85 Post by Fulci »

Mister-Kent wrote:Okay--enough literal dungeon crawling--out of the pipes you're all free to stand. Marching order please!
Ballar Uh can go first or second. He has some experience with traps - though nowhere near as skilled as a thief.
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#86 Post by Mister-Kent »

Sorry ~ I've been forgetting to post the time as we went underground!

Woundsday, March 4th
9:00 PM

It takes quite a while to pass through the pipeline, and hours on end of crawling have worn away at your vigor. Also, the hour grows late, and the pangs of hunger gnaw at your insides. You will certainly have to tend to that soon, but you could opt to press on further.

Gul-Marach
"The Inverse Spire's naught but a wicked perversion," the Dwarf replies. "Humans in service to some…thing. It's not a place fit for man nor dwarf."

The Dwarf takes the glowing orb you offer him carefully, and enfolds it into his jacket, gazing at it with wonder. His face hardens, and he attempts to hide his appreciation.

Biblo
When you give him the pick, he is stunned--and infuriated. "Wh-what is this, humans? The giving of gifts? What are you trying to do? Trickery? What do you want from a simple dwarf!?" He stomps off back into the pipe, swearing under his beard.

Seconds later, he partially emerges from the pipe entrance, sighing deeply. "You simply can't come back this way. Once a dwarf's said a thing, it's carved in stone," he grumbles. "So…even if I wanted to let you back in, I just couldn't now."

"But you could seek out the Subterranean Steppes, or ask the Urchin Queen about Hadeon's Ladder. Err, that's what I heard about, anyway."
His tone is strangely apologetic now.

"And though the pipes are off-limits to you forever…suppose I saw some of those folks of which you speak. For example, some Knights of the Flesh, cultists of the Pleasure Goddess, calling to me the cliffs over there." He points to the cliffside now reachable by the metal bridge. "They called out to me one day ago--'Let out your bridge!'--but they nor their priestess could not entice me. They retreated into the darkness. If you travel that way, beware."
Last edited by Mister-Kent on Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Marullus »

Gul-Marach holds up a hand to stay him. "There is no need to take back your word, Master Dwarf," he says. "But there are words still not yet spoken. We will not re-enter your tunnels. But neither have we left. We may camp and take rest more safely here, and perhaps you'd tarry longer to share tales and our meal. It was Vorn who brought your people to build his city and I would hear their story."

If anyone needs Cure Light Wounds, I cast it. I'll cast Purify Food and Drink as well, restoring any food the dwarf wishes to offer. I'll rememorize spells in the morning before we leave for the Spire.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#88 Post by Mister-Kent »

The Dwarf considers. "You yet remain on the pipeline's platform...so you may stay until rested."

He scratches his beard and tucks the silver pick into his belt. "Fissurehand," he says. "Call me that. Last member of the Civic Order of Sewer-Dwarves."

"Over a thousand years ago, the clans that lived in this cold land united to build the great city of Vornheim. The warrior chief Valgerd Thrawl, who would be your first Empress, enlisted the dwarves of ancient Caligari to serve as her builders. And so we have for all this time, until those who served the Empire passed from this world. Or abandoned their duties--like the damned cowards who fled north!"

"The royal line of Thrawl has always held great power, and Empress Valgerd conscripted many beings to her service. The dwarves were assigned to craft the infrastructure of the city, but she found tasks for elves and giants as well. They say..."
He looks over his shoulder at the wide cavern arcing above you. "They say some of the beings she commanded lie in wait in the Under City, kept hidden away, waiting to fulfill some unknown task. Elves who have never seen the light of day, and giants who swim through earth like water." His nose wriggles.

Plans for camp? Tobias and Biblo have rations, and I believe Krystyn and Gachard might have something they'd be willing to share. There's also the matter of night's watch to settle.
Playing

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Marullus »

Gul-Marach bows deferentially to Fissurehand, introducing himself and the others from the Cathedral. He offers to take last watch so he might engage in his prayers in the morning.

He listens to the tales with interest, asking questions as he prepares and then they all eat the evening meal. "I am grateful for your trust, Fissurehand, and will treat with you the same. News may not have come to you -- the last Thrawl has passed away. There is a new Regent, Christiana the Scarlet, from the southern Lands (use whatever term is correct). She is intent on grasping the old powers and using them for her personal aims, redrafting the city to her own image and that of her strange God. Her agents spread ino all the rescesses of the city to disturb that which should not be touched. I come this way as one of Old Vorn, to enlist aid of the Beggar Queen to watch for those who delve too greedily and too deep, to warn of where they go."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Grognardsw »

Using a quill feather from the rare two-headed peacock of the Shae Isle, and ink from the salt marsh octocrab, Biblo transcribes the dwarf's tale into his journal.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#91 Post by Mister-Kent »

Fissurehand seems surprised at the passing of the Emperor, bearing the wide-eyed expression of someone literally living under a rock while all these events took place. "I...I don't like this at all! If this be true, and the new ruler grasps for command of all of the city, then surely it's a matter of time before her reach extends below..."

He spies Biblo's flamboyant quill, and grunts. "Perhaps you can deliver a message to the Beggars for me. I feel persuaded to meet with the Urchin Queen..."
Playing

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Grognardsw »

Biblo, scribing

"Of course I can take a message," says Biblo, quill poised.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#93 Post by Mister-Kent »

Fissurehand heaves an uneasy *harrumph*. "Dwarves and men were comrades once--though only so long ago I was a mere infant. When you lot present yourselves to the court...tell the Queen I'm perhaps open to meeting with her. If this foul Regent arrives, it may take unity to repel her..."
Playing

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#94 Post by Mister-Kent »

From far below the newly-extended bridge, the sound of water flowing down the aqueduct is accompanied by the bestial mewling of some unknown creatures.

As Fissurehand speaks, he rifles through the small back at his side. There are three slim strips of some sort of dried meat. "Err...I haven't had guests in an age. Dwarven hospitality custom says I give you food. This is all I have on me. The rest is in my--"

He pauses, looks around the group carefully, then offers the meat, setting it down on a cloth before you all. "The rest is in my home."

Ballar Uh
Sister Krystyn stirs in her seat, sitting cross-legged next to you. "Who knows where that meat's been," she whispers. "Or who it's been. Don't take it."

Acolyte Gachard begins to reach out to the meat hesitantly, but pauses, awaiting the verdict of his more experienced traveling companions.
Playing

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#95 Post by Fulci »

Ballar Uh, fighter/assassin
Mister-Kent wrote:Sister Krystyn stirs in her seat, sitting cross-legged next to you. "Who knows where that meat's been," she whispers. "Or who it's been. Don't take it."

Acolyte Gachard begins to reach out to the meat hesitantly, but pauses, awaiting the verdict of his more experienced traveling companions.
"Who knows where that meat's been. Or who it's been" - Ballar Uh is away in his own little world, so when Sister Krystyn's whisper reaches him, he automatically assumes, that she is talking about... Ballar Uh's flesh itself. But why should she? What is so peculiar about Ballar Uh's body to ignite the fantasy of a young priestess? Stirring from his slumber, he tries to re-adjust to reality.

The dwarf is offering something. Dried meat, probably. Something about hospitality. He reaches into his own knapsack and produces a few wrinkled apples, places them on the cloth. "Fruit... gifts from the surface," he mumbles. Then picks up a piece of the dwarven food and bites of a very-very small bit. He doesn't swallow it just yet.

Then he points at Krystyn and Gachard.

"Can't eat meat. Feasting," he explains.
G A M E S :

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Marullus »

Gul-Marach collects together the meat, apples, and other offerings, adding in a large haft of bread from his own pack, and ensuring they've filled containers from the nearest aqueduct flow. He stays their hands until he has blessed the food, thanking Vorn for their fellowship and sustainment. As he finishes his prayer, the meat becomes succulent, the apples plump up and glisten, the bread steams warm and fresh, the water becomes clean and pure. He nods for them to partake. "With this sharing of hospitality, he join you in goodwill, Fissurehand. I hope to break bread with you again someday, somewhere." (Cast: Purify Food and Drink)

As they eat he asks about the mewling, continuing to learn what he can about what lies ahead.

New spell list for the morning. Any advice accepted.
Level 1
Command
Cure Light Wounds
Cure Light Wounds
Purify Food and Drink
Sanctuary

Level 2
Delay Poison
Find Traps
Hold Person
Resist Fire
Silence, 15' Radius

Level 3
Continual Light
Dispel Magic
Dispel Magic

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Grognardsw »

Biblo, sorcerer

"Thank you Fissurehand," says the grimoirist. "We will take this message to the Urchin Queen."

Biblo doesn't look forward to a night down here. He considers the dwarf's earlier words.
Seconds later, he partially emerges from the pipe entrance, sighing deeply. "You simply can't come back this way. Once a dwarf's said a thing, it's carved in stone," he grumbles. "So…even if I wanted to let you back in, I just couldn't now."

"But you could seek out the Subterranean Steppes, or ask the Urchin Queen about Hadeon's Ladder. Err, that's what I heard about, anyway." His tone is strangely apologetic now.

"And though the pipes are off-limits to you forever…suppose I saw some of those folks of which you speak. For example, some Knights of the Flesh, cultists of the Pleasure Goddess, calling to me the cliffs over there." He points to the cliffside now reachable by the metal bridge. "They called out to me one day ago--'Let out your bridge!'--but they nor their priestess could not entice me. They retreated into the darkness. If you travel that way, beware."

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#98 Post by Mister-Kent »

Fissurehand watches the purification ritual with special attention to the apple. Upon completion of the spell, he lurches forward to take the fruit and sniffs it, practically smashing it into his rough beard.

"Sun-touched?" he mutters. "So long since I've had anything grown above that wasn't rotten scraps from a beggars' pack." He scrubs the apple against his sleeve and greedily holds it in both hands for a long moment before biting in.

As the night wears on, Fissurehand explains the animals far below the ledge. "Cave lions," he snorts, mouth full of apple. He gives a long history of the species arrival in Vornheim--brought as guardians and pets by the first dwarves, when they first moved here from their homeland near the center of the earth. With so few dwarves left in the region, the last domesticated cave lions were set free a century ago and have lived in parts of the Under City ever since. Living, bleeding hearts beat beneath their marble-like hides, and their maws are lined with jagged stone teeth.

"Heavy beasts. Not great swimmers," the dwarf notes before licking the fruit juice from his fingers.

Gachard and Krystyn don't touch the strange jerky, but help themselves to some of Gul-Marach's bread. Poe the Raven also pecks hungrily at the bread, then turns to Ballar Uh for some of the dwarf's meat.

At approximately 1:00 in the morning, Sister Krystyn rises to her feet and insists the party rest while she takes watch. She stands facing the bridge, arms folded.
Playing

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Marullus »

Gul-Marach asks if the bridges can be withdrawn until the they have all rested.

He then settles quickly into a deep sleep, planning to awaken well-rested for prayers and a new day.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#100 Post by Fulci »

Ballar Uh, fighter/assassin

Ballar Uh is surprised at Sister Krystyn taking the initiative and volunteering for night watch duty. So far he perceived the Acolytes as passive creatures, almost just object they have to deliver from place A to place B. Empathy is not the assassin's strong suit. He has a hard time assessing the young Vornites. Gul-Marach is a fighter and an adventurer, after all, something Ballar Uh understands. But Krystyn and Gachard are not the types he usually encounters. And he is always suspicious towards things he doesn't comprehend.

He volunteers to take the next watch and goes to sleep - but he is only faking it, keeping an eye on Krystyn, if possible.
G A M E S :

Return to “Dungeonesque (LL AEC)”