Strategy talk

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Strategy talk

#41 Post by Alethan »

Nothing happens in-game unless it is said in the Action thread. This is just a strategy thread, so it's only discussion.

I'm pretty positive you need to have both hands free to cast a spell; at least that's how I'd play it and it's how I'd GM it.

That said, you can have a sword in-hand at the beginning of the round. If you want to cast a spell, I'm sure dropping the sword wouldn't do anything to hamper spell-casting, except maybe add a segment to determine when your spell actually completes. That's probably how I'd GM it, anyway. But I don't think you can hold a sword in one hand and still cast a spell.

Of course, you could always keep your sword sheathed. I wouldn't penalize a player for drawing their sword, as long as they weren't surprised.

Right now, Francisco's plan is just to see what is going on at the temple. He doesn't plan on making an all-out attack. Or even making a sneaking attack. He just wants to see what the party is up against.

As a player, I'm just trying to move the game along. Computer+1 is right; we were stalling in a "planning" stage. Just doing my part to get us out of the stall. :)
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#42 Post by Computer +1 »

I am glad someone got us moving! I would rather wipe then let the game die out due to inaction!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Argennian »

I'm on the same page as you guys as well. I just didn't want to miss the golden opportunity we had with the druid's charm spell to get every last bloody drop of intel we could from that guy!

I'm actually thinking that perhaps having Francisco and Yarl (and anyone else that wanted to go with them) make ready to the north of the temple and prepare to use the northern trail to approach. Then Brok and the others could make their way back to the southern trail we ambushed the patrol on, don the red cloaks and begin to casually approach the temple. If anyone is watching, they'll see what they (hopefully) think is the "lost" patrol returning and that could potentially cover Francisco and Yarl's approach from the north. That way, we all arrive right about the same time at the target, and it would hopeful afford some sneaky flanking maneuvers.

FYI: Brok's main concern (after killing all of these bastards at the temple, of course) is now rescuing that prisoner. She might end up being a captured spy that was working for Lady Celina and went missing just before we were approached about the mission.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by onlyme »

Veneficus can do whatever is best for the group. So just ask...

We have two fighters going north.
A druid, cleric and assassin staying. Might be best if he stays with this group, since it has less fighter cover.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by rredmond »

Stay! Sit! Bacon?
:)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#46 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:Stay! Sit! Bacon?
You trying to give Nunyet a coronary, rredmond??

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:
rredmond wrote:Stay! Sit! Bacon?
You trying to give Nunyet a coronary, rredmond??
Ha! Lol

Heh, do love me some bacon too! (especially that thick-cut Black Label stuff) Yumm! :)

onlyme wrote:Veneficus can do whatever is best for the group. So just ask...

We have two fighters going north.
A druid, cleric and assassin staying. Might be best if he stays with this group, since it has less fighter cover.
Don't forget about Kurn Briar, the thief in monk:s robes! :wink:

But your point of order is so noted and I agree, onlyme. Perhaps when Francisco & Yarl get back from their scouting mission, we could finally agree on a plan & hit this place. With baddie reinforcements confirmed as being en route to either relieve or bolster those currently at the temple, the time to act has to be now! (imnsho)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by onlyme »

Don't we need to umm do something with the prisoner asap? When will the spell wear off?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Argennian »

onlyme wrote:Don't we need to umm do something with the prisoner asap? When will the spell wear off?

Don't have my books but the druid's charm spell should last for days, even if the guy's a smarty pants! :)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#50 Post by Nuke66 »

I typed a reply before. I'll post BtB below, based on INT, it'll be a couple three weeks before he even gets another saving throw. Never know, maybe he'll be a henchman eventually.

The powerful enchantment woven by this spell will affect
any “person,” meaning character races (with the exception of
elves) and other small to medium-sized bipeds analogous to
persons (orcs, goblins, etc.). The spell also affects mammalian
animals of any kind, even those that are supernatural, giant,
or monstrous. If the target creature fails a saving throw, it will
view the druid as a trusted friend, interpreting his or her every
word in its most positive light. Charmed creatures will place
themselves into moderate danger, including combat, on the
druid’s behalf, but will not undertake risks beyond those the
creature might ordinarily take. The druid must be able to talk
to the charmed creature if he or she is to make any sort of
complex “request.” Charmed creatures are allowed periodic
saving throws to break the charm, based on intelligence:
19+ one saving throw/ day
18 one saving throw/ 2 days
17 one saving throw/ 3 days
15-16 one saving throw/ week
13-14 one saving throw/ 2 weeks
10-12 one saving throw/ 3 weeks
7-9 one saving throw/ month
4-6 one saving throw/ 2 months
3 or less one saving throw/ 3 months
The charm will be broken automatically if the druid obviously

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#51 Post by Computer +1 »

I forget how big the wall is but I have an idea. We could move to the corner away from the break and ambush the patrol as they come around. I dont know if we want to sneak in and fight if the patrol could appear on our backs.

It will depend on cover and the height of the wall if it would even work.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#52 Post by Alethan »

You mean move inside the compound? Or ambush them over the wall? I had the impression the wall was tall; much too tall to ambush someone over, like a pallisade or actual rock structure that is 10' tall or so.

What if we leave some of the cloaks we took from the patrol and leave them in a pile just outside the opening? Or in the rubble of the opening? Or... someone put a cloak on and feign injury or death right at the opening? We need to draw them outside the wall, I think, or at least to the opening where we could a) cast sleep on them and then b) have all ranged attack anyone still standing, hopefully before an alarm can go out.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by onlyme »

I think anything we do that would cause them to investigate in full (i.e. cloaks laying around) could cause them to sound alarms and bring more than we need to deal with. I think stealth and sleep makes more sense for now...

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#54 Post by Computer +1 »

Im sorry I must have been very tired last night. I kept thinking they were patrolling outside the walls.

Yeah, my ideas make no sense.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#55 Post by Alethan »

Computer +1 wrote:Im sorry I must have been very tired last night. I kept thinking they were patrolling outside the walls.

Yeah, my ideas make no sense.
lol. no worries, C+1.

A Silence 15' radius spell would be nice right about now...

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#56 Post by Nuke66 »

Consider me minor melee and heals, no offensive spells to speak of, but 3 CLW, and a spear.....woot! O, and 24HP to boot.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by onlyme »

I will be fairly remote this weekend. So, what are our battle plans so far, and any actions required before tomorrow?

do we have consensus to sneak in, either attack them quickly, or sleep them?

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#58 Post by Computer +1 »

Lets just go in guns blazing, sleep em and then kill em!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#59 Post by Alethan »

I say we wait for the patrol to pass by, everyone with a ranged weapon targeted on the group, and get the sleep spell cast. Anyone who doesn't fall asleep becomes a target. Hopefully that will leave us with silencing a few and no alarm raised. Then we take it from there.

Since things always take longer in PbP, we probably don't need to plan much further past that and we're good for at least two weeks out. :)

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#60 Post by Computer +1 »

Alethan wrote:I say we wait for the patrol to pass by, everyone with a ranged weapon targeted on the group, and get the sleep spell cast. Anyone who doesn't fall asleep becomes a target. Hopefully that will leave us with silencing a few and no alarm raised. Then we take it from there.

Since things always take longer in PbP, we probably don't need to plan much further past that and we're good for at least two weeks out. :)
Hhahaha true! Lets go do this!! We have gotten so slow I am getting a death wish.

Return to “Incursion into Newiron - OSRIC”