Re: Strategy talk

#81 Post by Computer +1 »

Sleep those fools!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:Yeah, I wasn't, either. But seeing as how Argennian and Raven haven't posted anything as a result of the PM, I guess we're good to go.
Sorry for not piping up earlier. Brok and Kurn are pretty much good to go on their end so you guys shouldn't be waiting on anything with that.

Alethan wrote:FWIW, I think this is the kind of stall we can expect to have when we are absent a party leader.

Honestly, I don't want the job simply because I'm party leader in another game and I don't like being "in charge" of every game. It becomes tedious. Some games, I just want to play and have someone else take care of the minutia.

But I do feel every game should have a designated Party Leader who keeps track of what is going on and directs the traffic, so to speak, when the party is sitting at a green light to go but does nothing.
Although my feelings differ on the use of party leader or caller (unless that's what everyone wants and can agree to), I think it's just that pbps slow down from time to time. I'm also right there with you in wanting to keep the action going and the game flowing overall, but there are times when we will inevitably be waiting on a player or even the DM to resolve things or post their part. I get impatient at times too but more than that, I hate getting busy with work and RL drama and getting left in the pbp gaming dust. It's times like that when you feel like your just sitting in the back of the bus to go along fr the ride and collect xp, so to speak.

I tried to have Brok step up in game a few times earlier but that didn't seem to be well received. Some players went ahead and did their own thing regardless and others didn't seemed like they did not want to go along or have an opinion or any input one way or the other. In respect to party and player solidarity, I guess we'll just have to muddle our way through and make the best of it. I think us chatting on this here or in the OOC thread is a good thing.

And Above Game: Brok and Kurn decided to take up a position near the breach in the eastern wall, so that if any more baddies get alerted and start moving to respond, they'd be in a position to do something about it or at least call out a warning. Probably should have made that clear a bit earlier as I know it sucks to be wondering what the heck the other players are up to when they're not with the group! :)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#83 Post by Computer +1 »

Yarl will get the action going real soon. If they dont fall asleep he is going in anyway.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#84 Post by Alethan »

Argennian wrote: Although my feelings differ on the use of party leader or caller (unless that's what everyone wants and can agree to), I think it's just that pbps slow down from time to time. I'm also right there with you in wanting to keep the action going and the game flowing overall, but there are times when we will inevitably be waiting on a player or even the DM to resolve things or post their part. I get impatient at times too but more than that, I hate getting busy with work and RL drama and getting left in the pbp gaming dust. It's times like that when you feel like your just sitting in the back of the bus to go along fr the ride and collect xp, so to speak.

I tried to have Brok step up in game a few times earlier but that didn't seem to be well received. Some players went ahead and did their own thing regardless and others didn't seemed like they did not want to go along or have an opinion or any input one way or the other. In respect to party and player solidarity, I guess we'll just have to muddle our way through and make the best of it. I think us chatting on this here or in the OOC thread is a good thing.
I don't really mean a character in-game taking over as party-leader so much as I mean a player taking on the roll outside the game. And that doesn't mean they direct everyone's actions, either (though it isn't a bad idea for everyone to have some "standing orders" for him to go off of if that is necessary); I think some of the things that didn't "work out" in-game are more the result of people playing their character, like C+1 making Yarl act rashly at times, for example. Sure, it would have been nice to keep the charmed gnoll alive longer to put him to good use, but I can totally see the in-character action coming from the half-orc.

So I'm not proposing someone direct what everyone is going to do. But I think having a player in the group who keeps the pace up (not talking about pushing the pace faster than was indicated by the GM - just keeping it at the 3 post/week pace, which many games fail at, I'm sorry to say), keeps track of who is doing what and makes sure something obvious doesn't get overlooked (like looting bodies), and who takes charge of figuring things out when the GM asks for a marching order or a sleep watch.

More like a party manager than a party leader, I guess.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by onlyme »

Sounds good. Sleep spell launching...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#86 Post by Nuke66 »

Sometime you just gotta take the bull by the horns and run with something. Burn through a few rounds at a time so to speak. It helps move it forward a bit.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by onlyme »

Where shall we go next? cloister to do some eliminating before they get up? or sneak into temple?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#88 Post by Alethan »

Hmmm... probably the former. We're supposed to secure the place, right? So we'll need to eliminate them all eventually. Plus, if we go in the temple and start messing around there, they're sure to find the bodies as soon as they start looking and we'll have angry people looking for us when we come out, probably better prepared.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by onlyme »

Am I correct in assuming swords would be the smart play going in? do we need a lookout outside? Also, any thoughts to just laying down some oil and burning them out?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#91 Post by Alethan »

There are most certainly more in the tent-like temple, so we wouldn't want them screaming and waking up everyone else.

Plus, fire destroys loots.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#92 Post by Nuke66 »

As a player, I wouldn't mind to allow some time for those rogue types to earn their experience. I vote for an assignation mission!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:There are most certainly more in the tent-like temple, so we wouldn't want them screaming and waking up everyone else.

Plus, fire destroys loots.
+1 and would probably bring any individuals in or about the temple or any other patrols out and about double-timing it back.

Nuke66 wrote:As a player, I wouldn't mind to allow some time for those rogue types to earn their experience. I vote for an assignation mission!
Brok is ceratinly game to make an appointment for a meeting. Only I wouldn't call it a meeting... :twisted:
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Argennian »

So, any thoughts on how you all want to tackle the cloister building?

Although Brok and Kurn haven't made a complete reconnoiter of the perimeter, there is at least one entrance in addition to the breech in the eastern wall. I'm assuming the main entrance is either on the south side or on the western side near the southwestern corner, based upon what's been seen and observed of the building. (And the map too, I guess :) )

So should we:

1) Try and pull off a rouse, with Brok and Kurn (and anyone else?) moving to the front door of the cloister building as if they're returning and injured members of the red blade patrol. As soon as they enter the front door, they could make a scene and draw the attention of those in the room, allowing a possible surprise strike of spells, missile weapons, charge attacks, whatever from/through the breech

2) Screw the subterfuge and just pull a bum-rush through the breech

3) Sneak around and do some further reconnoitering before committing

For the record, Brok would vote to do either option 1 or 3. Also worth mentioning is did we ever find out from the charmed patrol leader if there is a lower level in the cloister building? Guess we'll find out if not!

Thoughts? Ideas? Other options?

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by onlyme »

Argennian wrote: So should we:

1) Try and pull off a rouse, with Brok and Kurn (and anyone else?) moving to the front door of the cloister building as if they're returning and injured members of the red blade patrol. As soon as they enter the front door, they could make a scene and draw the attention of those in the room, allowing a possible surprise strike of spells, missile weapons, charge attacks, whatever from/through the breech

2) Screw the subterfuge and just pull a bum-rush through the breech

3) Sneak around and do some further reconnoitering before committing

For the record, Brok would vote to do either option 1 or 3. Also worth mentioning is did we ever find out from the charmed patrol leader if there is a lower level in the cloister building? Guess we'll find out if not!
Thoughts? Ideas? Other options?
I dont think we have time for 3. The patrol would walk around in a set pattern. The others who are awake would notice them gone if we send a round or two investigating.
I vote 1. or at least some similar attack.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#96 Post by Alethan »

I concur. Option one sounds good to me. Who wants to volunteer to do the subterfuge? Could Yarl pass himself off as an orc? Then we could maybe have the assassin (master of disguise) and one other join him, while the rest wait in ambush.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#98 Post by ToniXX »

Nuke66 wrote:agreed option one, but what are going to do about the two humans by the gate?
I'm going to chime in here to clarify something: The two humans are Brok and Kurn, who have been reunited with the party. I think there was a little confusion about this, so I wanted to clarify.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#99 Post by Alethan »

So we can't kill them?

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by ravenn4544 »

well, you could - this is a pretty open-ended game by design ;)

Return to “Incursion into Newiron - OSRIC”