OOC / Questions to the DM

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

OOC / Questions to the DM

#1 Post by ToniXX »

OOC talk can go here or if you have questions for the DM. You can also put OOC text in the action thread. Either one works.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC / Questions to the DM

#2 Post by rredmond »

Heydee! To start the party discussion, following is my character choices, in order of preference, but I can go any way really:
Jovial but battle hardened human cleric, he likes to be in second rank, or closer to support the fighters;
Halfling thief, silly but good in a pinch;
Deadly serious ranger, introvert - possibly a missile guy, depending;
1/2 orc fighter, fancies himself the ultimate warrior (and depending on stats may be) - maybe dual class to cleric, but only if we need it;
and really anything else! :) I'm just looking forward to playing really! I'll absolutely shy away from druid or illusionist, prefer not to play a MU or Paladin, but pretty much will play whatever we need except for an assassin. I'll roll my stats now, as today is a payroll day.

Will reroll as per the DM :)

BTW: I see I'll be adventuring with Francisco Bandy! ;)
Last edited by rredmond on Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by Alethan »

Aye, Francisco is ready. Too bad OSRIC doesn't have a Bard character class and the 1e Bard is suck... :) That's a great name for one, innit?

So maybe it will just have to be a cheery, happy ranger or something...

Stats: CHR:12, INT:13, STR:16, CON:16, WIS:14, DEX:17

Starting Money (Gold) [3d6x10] = 3x10 = 30

Er... hopefully that qualifies for "roll really bad", ToniXX? Let's try again...

Starting Money (Gold) [3d6x10] = 13x10 = 130

(Aye, that's better.)
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by rredmond »

I'm hoping for a decent HP roll. :D
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by ToniXX »

LOL! Yes, if you roll crappy for the abilities, just do it again as well. I mean, we want to have fun, right, not fight with low ability scores?
And yes, those starting gold rolls constitute as crap... Alethan's second isn't that bad :)

I should have the character generation sorted out today so you guys can get on it asap. Keep an eye on the forums!
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by rredmond »

Holy crap, what a difference a re-roll makes. This:

Stats: STR:8, INT:9, WIS:17, DEX:16, CON:15, CHR:17

sounds good. I can make just about anything with two 17s, my oh my!!
As always the rolls are not in order. But battle hardened cleric, 1/2 orc fighter... mmmm, the possibilities are endless! :)

Thanks Mr. DM!

Gold: [3d6x10] = 12x10 = 120

leebrown1990
Strider
Strider

#7 Post by leebrown1990 »

Here are my stats I rolled up earlier but with hindsight can I make that a 16 Wis, 15 Cha for the extra bonus lvl 2 Cleric spell.
Stats: STR:12, WIS:15, INT:13, CON:13, DEX:11, CHR:16

So that woulld give me STR:12, WIS:16, INT:13, CON:13, DEX:11, CHR:15

Any my starting gold; [3d6x10] = 16x10 = 160 Very nice :-)

So yeah, I'll be playing Cis the Human Druid.

Cheers,
Lee

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by ToniXX »

Sounds great! When you guys are ready to post in the PC thread, use these as templates for your characters:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=244

In this game, we all used a similar format, and it works well.

leebrown1990
Strider
Strider

#9 Post by leebrown1990 »

Max HP great! [1d8] = 8

I'm working on my character sheet now so I'd be ready to go pretty soon, tomorrow evening likely. Equipment etc I'm guessing is by the AD&D PHB price-wise? Also what is you policy on a Druid's holly?

Cheers,
Lee

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#10 Post by ToniXX »

leebrown1990 wrote:Max HP great! [1d8] = 8

I'm working on my character sheet now so I'd be ready to go pretty soon, tomorrow evening likely. Equipment etc I'm guessing is by the AD&D PHB price-wise? Also what is you policy on a Druid's holly?

Cheers,
Lee
Yes, prices for equipment are almost exactly the same in OSRIC as in the 1ed PHB. You can download the OSRIC manual here:
http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/osric
(it's free)

Also with 4,500 experience points to start, you can be a 3rd level Druid so you'll get more than 1d8 for HP.
Regarding druid's holly: I'm going to say that prior to starting this adventure you have cultivated the holly properly and you will get the full effect of your spells.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by rredmond »

That map is awesome. Very nice.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Post by ToniXX »

rredmond wrote:That map is awesome. Very nice.
Thanks. I got pretty good with photoshop over the years! I'm glad someone else is finally seeing my work. :)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by Alethan »

Yeah, that is a very nice looking map, Greg! That is probably one of the nicest campaign maps I've seen in a long time, in fact. You ever thought about doing map depictions for scifi novels? I can see something like that in the beginning of LOTR, even... If the rest of the campaign is anything like that map, then we're in for a fun time!

Oh, by the by, can we double specialize in weapons?

:D

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Argennian »

Howdy All!

Very much looking forward to the fun! Hoping to get my character rolled up after work tonight.

So, as far as party makeup so far, we've got a ranger, a druid and a good-natured yet battle-hardened cleric?

Hmm... guess I'll roll up stats and see what springs to mind!

Btw, +2 on those awesome maps, Greg! 8-)

Cheers,

Mitch
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#15 Post by Alethan »

leebrown1990 wrote:Here are my stats I rolled up earlier but with hindsight can I make that a 16 Wis, 15 Cha for the extra bonus lvl 2 Cleric spell.
Stats: STR:12, WIS:15, INT:13, CON:13, DEX:11, CHR:16

So that woulld give me STR:12, WIS:16, INT:13, CON:13, DEX:11, CHR:15

Any my starting gold; [3d6x10] = 16x10 = 160 Very nice :-)

So yeah, I'll be playing Cis the Human Druid.

Cheers,
Lee
Lee,

I've always understood the WIS spell bonus to be exclusive to the Cleric class only, which is why they listed that information in a table under the Cleric description and not as an additional column on the WIS table. At first I thought it was one of the differences between OSRIC and 1e, but after going back and reading the exact wording in the 1e rulebook, I'd say that allowing the WIS bonus to druids was probably a common corruption of the 1e rule set, as well. It isn't my campaign, so I obviously can't make any calls here one way or the other, but it might be something for TonyXX to address.

One minor thing I should point out on your character sheet is that you didn't clear the gems section from the default sheet TonyXX linked to. :) I wish we all started off with 400 GP in gems!

Must say, I'm jealous of your HP roll! Such a great opportunity for a high HP fighter and I bungle it all up and barely roll more than my total bonus!

Regardless, looking forward to campaigning with ya!

Al

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#16 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote:Oh, by the by, can we double specialize in weapons?
Alethan, can you direct me to the specialization rules in the OSRIC book? I'm not finding it and I want to read up to answer your question.

And I have to agree with Alethan that wisdom spell bonuses apply to clerics only. I see how it can be confusing in the 1ed PHB, but under the chart (Wisdom Table II, p.11), the paragraph starts 'Spell Bonus indicates the number of additional spells the cleric is entitled to according to wisdom ability score.' It is more clearly defined in the OSRIC book, being under the Cleric class only (p.10)

leebrown1990
Strider
Strider

#17 Post by leebrown1990 »

"Druids receive bonus spells for high wisdom, just as clerics do. See the table provided under "Cleric" for details."

Direct from OSRIC page 13, also with the 1e PHB the main and sub class titles are often interchangeable although it is a little ambiguous as the formatting/ wording adopted for certain sections of the book was not always carried throughout the book.

Edited my horde of jewels.

Cheers,
Lee

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#18 Post by ToniXX »

leebrown1990 wrote:"Druids receive bonus spells for high wisdom, just as clerics do. See the table provided under "Cleric" for details."

Direct from OSRIC page 13, also with the 1e PHB the main and sub class titles are often interchangeable although it is a little ambiguous as the formatting/ wording adopted for certain sections of the book was not always carried throughout the book.

Cheers,
Lee
Good catch. Strike what I said then. Sorry about that :oops:

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by rredmond »

The specialization and (way crazy ;) ) double specialization rules are in the Fighter Class description. Not sure of page number, but that's where those rules are housed.

EDIT: second column page 13 is the spec rules

Double EDIT: strike out "way crazy" in case I want to play the BFA 1/2 orc fighter!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#20 Post by Alethan »

leebrown1990 wrote:"Druids receive bonus spells for high wisdom, just as clerics do. See the table provided under "Cleric" for details."

Cheers,
Lee
Look at that! Maybe THAT is the difference from the 1e rules, then! I stand corrected, my friend, and wish I'd known that rule earlier. We might have had two druids in the party... ;)

My apologies and good catch, Lee!

Return to “Incursion into Newiron - OSRIC”