The Crusty Jug (23)

Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: The Crusty Jug (23)

#101 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

"We've heard that some of those who vanished seemed to meet the love of their life before they disappeared. I presume this is not the case Stew's wife, at least as far as it is known."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#102 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Inferno wrote:Sir Ugghra, half-orc aristocrat:

This story fit well with Ugghra's mysterious paramour theory.

His grotesque face carefully guarded, the lamentable lord slid his terrible eyes over to Father Dowling, who knew Kresty better than any of the investigators.
Dowling ignores the look from Ugghra and the words of Epi. He simply stares at the illusionist for a moment in complete silence. It is an uncomfortable pause for all four of those involved, but the portly priest eventually sits back with a smile, his face turning from a look of suspicion, to ease and content.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#103 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ozwaldus pauses a second, then looks briefly at Father Dowling, a knowing yet friendly enough smile on his lips. He replies to Epi. "I of course do not know exactly what befell her or the others, though I wouldn't rule out some kind of ensorcellment, or indeed common charlitanism. Perhaps working together we might discover more?"

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Inferno »

Sir Ugghra, half-orc aristocrat:

Bewildered and most unamused with Dowling's strange behaviour and unresponsiveness, the cruel cavalier coldly snapped, "Forgive My Friend. He's Had A Most Trying Day.
Very Well. Pray, Tarry A While. Our Colleagues Should Arrive Momentarily,"
as he impatiently watched the door.
Punctuality was a lost virtue in this base, declining world.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#105 Post by Scott308 »

Father Dowling

The priest looks at Epi and Ugghra. I sense no evil, no deception from Ozwaldus. It seems he truly wishes to help his friend Stew, and in order to accomplish that, help us. I feel comfortable with allowing him to accompany us.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Inferno »

Sir Ugghra, half orc aristocrat:

"Top Drawer Work! Simply Smashing. I Never Doubted You For A Moment," the elegant monster said discreetly to Dowling.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#107 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

"Do the words, 'He will kill us all,' mean anything to you, well besides the not so veiled threat or warning." She will wait for an answer then follow up with, "Suppose it was accompanied with a drawing that looked like Brother Tomas's holy symbol?"

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#108 Post by Scott308 »

Father Dowling

Where is Brother Tomas, anyway? And Grillock and Odilo? I'm beginning to worry. They should have been here some time ago. Perhaps we should go find them?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Ozwaldus Maximus, Master Trickster (A master of Illusuuuuuusion... :) )
Scott308 wrote:Father DowlingThe priest looks at Epi and Ugghra. I sense no evil, no deception from Ozwaldus. It seems he truly wishes to help his friend Stew, and in order to accomplish that, help us. I feel comfortable with allowing him to accompany us.
You get the feeling Ozwaldus seems to become more real, suddenly, as if before being accepted into your circle he was but an illusion that might vanish as soon as your attention turned elsewhere. ;)
"Thank you, Father Dowling. I feel obligated to inform you that there does exist a simple incantation which could have thwarted such detection. I... ah, do not have specific knowledge of its working, however.... yet. Perhaps someday I will and we may use it to our advantage. I tend to specialize in rather more actively direct... deception." says Ozwaldus. "So, you are waiting for Brother Tomas, eh? What do you hope to learn from him? Do you trust him? I sense you do not, entirely...?"

Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#110 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

"I can't say that we entirely trust anyone."

She nods to the Father, "I agree let us see if we can find this priest...I'm getting tired of always waiting for him."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#111 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As the last words of Epi's sentence leave her mouth, the front door of the tavern opens and in walks the good Brother Tomas. He is alone and he spots your group right away, he flashes you a good evening smile as he joins you at your table.

Ah, very good! You are still only meeting in your small groups I see. It's nice to see that you can follow simple instructions.

Do I also see a newcomer to the group?

Let's eat and have a talk. I'm sure you have plenty of questions that will need answering.

He waves to Stew and gets the man started on the dinner for the evening.

Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#112 Post by Cauchy »

Epi
You all turn to see the boy acolyte, Ernie, running towards you. When he finally gets to your position, he speaks to the group.

Are you lot finally heading out to the tower ruins? Brother Tomas told me that he is concerned about something you will find there. He asked me to catch you to report that he requests an audience with your group upon your safe return, if you would be so kind.

He will meet with you at the temple as soon as you get back. Can I tell him you will be there? Please?
The ranger who had just risen to search for the priest, sits back down and nods to an empty chair at the table. "Ernie mentioned that you were concerned about something we find at the ex-wizard's fallen tower. So let's start with what you wished to tell us."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Inferno »

The freakish fop nods approvingly at Epi's direct line of questioning, clearly proud that she has, at last, taken off the kid gloves in dealing with their curiously reluctant patron.

When Mr. Kresty comes at Tomas' bidding, Sir Ugghra has a delicate word on the side with the man: "Good Sir, May I Enquire What That Brazen Strumpet Asked You, And Where She Might Be Headed? I'm Afraid It Involves The Dreadful Business of Our Investigation."
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Ozwaldus Maximus, Illusionist

Ozwaldus acknowledges Brother Tomas with a polite nod, then sits back and listens for the moment, as the others question him about current events. He studies the clergyman's face, reactions, etc. as he speaks, all while projecting a look of only casual interest.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#115 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Brother Tomas nods back to the newcomer as he takes his seat. He smiles softly at Epi as he replies to her question.

Yes, my dear. Very well.
Did your group discover anything at the ruins that might have....... well.............. incriminated me in this mess?
He fiddles with his huge holy symbol in a somewhat obvious manner.

When Stew returns to the table, he answers Ugghra's whispered question.
Well sir, she asked a bit about you, and then asked where she could find the sheriffs office. I didn't see no harm in it. She sure seemed like a pleasant young lady. Awful pretty too if I may say. She didn't rightly say where she was going.

Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#116 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

Epi nods as the priest fiddles with his holy symbol. "I see you knew what we'd find. We await an explanation."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Inferno »

After thanking Mr. Kresty, The inhuman investigator all but pounced at Brother Tomas, "We Found Everything There. Explain Yourself! Out With It!"
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#118 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Tomas looks around the table. He shoots a mean glare towards the overly aggressive half-orc before beginning his tale.

So, you found the Wizards warning etched into his laboratory table, then? I thought that you would.

I know of this only because I was out at the tower ruins once long ago and I saw the message with my own eyes. I remember that it frightened me a bit at the time, a message about "killing us all".

That was even before I found this.
He holds up his unique holy symbol again.

You see, I had just taken over as high priest of Brothertons temple right around that time. A group of us went to investigate the explosion in the woods and found the wizards tower destroyed. It was scattered all around like a...... well...... you've seen it.

We found no sign of Mortimer or any of his possessions. There was only rubble and a few chunks of burning timber lying around. It was total devastation. We searched till dark but found nothing.

When I got back to the temple, I was astounded at what I had found. Right there in the center of the main room, hanging around the stone neck of the statue of our great lord Pelor, was this holy relic that I now use as my own holy symbol. I took this as a sign from the mighty Pelor himself and have loved and cherished it ever since.

He stares at it with intense longing for an uncomfortable long while before continuing again.

I had to assume that the swirl in the message and the highly magical symbol that I acquired were somehow connected but I could never figure out how. I went back to the ruins the very next day and spent countless hours trying to commune with Pelor, trying to understand what it all meant. I traced the markings and even laid my new treasure into the etching but alas, I could never find a connection between the two.

Tomas rubs his old fingers and awaits further questioning.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Ozwaldus Maximus, Illusionist

Ozwaldus glances in Father Dowling's direction, curious if he will get up to go to the bathroom again. He looks around at the others, then looks back to Brother Tomas, friendly interest on his face. "Interesting... is the spiral symbol typically associated with your god Pelor? Or indeed any other god of which you are aware? In my experience, gods tend to stick rather doggedly to their own symbology."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Inferno »

OGRE MAGE wrote: When I got back to the temple, I was astounded at what I had found. Right there in the center of the main room, hanging around the stone neck of the statue of our great lord Pelor, was this holy relic that I now use as my own holy symbol. I took this as a sign from the mighty Pelor himself and have loved and cherished it ever since.
Aghast, his execrable excellence's eyes widened as he thought, "Good Heavens! It's Worse Than I Dared Thought! Brother Tomas Is Possessed! ...By An Evil Intelligence From The Ruins Of Mortimer's Tower... Perhaps By The Very Author Of Its Destruction."

But he said nothing, listening and watching in horror.
DM:

Player: