The Crusty Jug (23)

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Crusty Jug (23)

#81 Post by Inferno »

Sir Ugghra, half-orc aristocrat:

The lowbrowed high brow sniffed disdainfully at this plebian entertainer. "If There Is To Be Dinner Theatre and Cabaret, Perhaps We Should Relocate To A Quieter Place Where We May Enjoy Our Repast, And Conversation With The Good Brother, Uninterrupted."

Then he reflected upon the word "mesmerizing," and the thread of bewitching seduction that connected the missing victims, and tarried a moment.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#82 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I'm not trying to rush things but, with people scattered all over the area now, I want to keep this moving as best I can until the party regroups.

Please feel free to add or fill in dialog wherever it's necessary while I push this part along. I don't mean to skip anyone.
A short time passes and there is still no sign of Brother Tomas. Come to think of it, you haven't seen hide nor hair of Odilo and Grillock yet either. Perhaps they met up somewhere in town and are all on their way together?

Stew Kresty looks rather excited to have some unscheduled entertainment for the evening and it appears that a lot of people are sticking around to see it. The house remains quite full as Stew makes his way throughout the croud.

At one point, he stops at the table of the mysterious redhead and speaks with her alone. It appears that they might be talking about your group as he points in your direction a few times and nods his head at her a lot.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Inferno »

Is Tomas late? Or were we early? Thanks.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#84 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Neither. There was no exact time set. It was just supposed to be a nice dinner and chat together. It is still technically dinner time so, he isn't really late, yet. :D

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Inferno »

Then neither are Odilo and Grillock. Ugghra is content to wait.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#86 Post by OGRE MAGE »

A few more minutes pass and there is still no sign of Brother Tomas or the dynamic duo. Ugghra, Epi, and Dowling continue on with their drinks, beginning to grow impatient.

Stew steps up to the small stage and a quick hush falls over the crowd.
Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you all for coming in tonight. As a very special surprise, I give you.........The Mesmerizing Ozwaldus Maximus!

The taverns lantern light flickers for a moment and then goes out, plunging the room into total darkness. For a few beats you see and hear nothing. A cat meows. Then, to one side of the room, a light illuminates a 10' area which you perceive to be covered by a swirling mist that seems to rise out of the floor. You become aware of music, faint at first but quickly building. A cat meows, but is abruptly silenced. Suddenly from the mist a figure rises vertically... the music, a heroic strain, continues to build. The silhoette rises to its full height - it's, it's the figure of a man mounted on the back of a magestic unicorn! The man thrusts his arms out and up as the heroic music crescendoes, rainbows pour from his sleeves illuminating the room in a dazzling glow. The unicorn rears, the lights come up - Ozwaldus Maximus sits astride its back scanning the crowd with a look of bemused confidence. He abruptly crosses his arms over his heart, flings them wide again and both he and the unicorn explode in a cloud of doves that fly in all directions. Stepping from amidst the cloud... Ozwaldus Maximus. To dispell any doubt, these very words are traced in multicolored lights in a semicircle on the wall behind. He bows to the room.

The rest of the show is a figurative (and sometimes literal) blur. You remember elements, but have trouble remembering their order, Ozwaldus miraculously removing his thumb and replacing it, Ozwaldus pulling golden doubloons from the ears of tavern patrons who openly weep with delight. One of them coming from Epi's own ear as he passes by the groups table. (the gold coin is actually a painted wood token with an image of the showman on one side and the words "Ozwaldus Maximus: Believe!" on the other) The party is also treated to other phantasmic tricks such as Ozwaldus' hand disappearing up his sleeve, emerging from the sleeve of Father Dowling, grabbing his beverage and retracting back up the sleeve. Onstage Ozwaldus' hand reappears holding the beverage, from which he takes a polite sip before placing it back on the table. He turns inside out, his hands and feet exchange places, he deflates, then inflates again... suddenly he stops. A horrified look steals over his face as he turns his gaze directly towards the party and raises a shaking finger in your direction. The music falters. The lights come up as the crowd murmurs in unrest. Standing before you, pointing straight at your group, is an obvious wax dummy... which promptly collapses in a heap. Seated exactly where the dummy was pointing, in your midst, is Ozwaldus Maximus, quite relaxed with drink in hand. "I don't believe I've seen you in here before... did you enjoy the show?" he asks. Clearly, he has no doubt you did. Somewhere, a cat meows.

The lights go back up slowly and the crowd explodes in ruckus applause. Ozwaldus sits at your table looking at each of you, one at a time, with a wry grin on his face. Well? Did you?

Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#87 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

"Indeed sir, most impressive. I can't say I've ever seen the like."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Inferno »

Looking past the entertainer for any sign of Brother Tomas, the cultured creep sniffed distractedly, "Yes. Yes. Most Quaint. If I Might Be So Bold, Perhaps If Some Narrative Were Worked Into The Tricks, It Might Engender a Greater And More Lasting Emotional Resonance Upon The Viewer, Rather Than Just Lashings Of Mere Showy Gimmicks, If You Take My Meaning."

;)
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#89 Post by Scott308 »

Father Dowling

It was rather entertaining, although says the priest as he moves his beverage closer to prevent anyone else from handling it, I would prefer to be the only one who drinks from my mug.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#90 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ozwaldus basks momentarily in the praise of his act, seeming to soak it up while simultaneously dismissing it with what is clearly false modesty..................................

Upon Sir Ugghra's critique he stops short. The sounds of the room seem to diminish, the light seems to dim. Ozwaldus turns his head slowly in the half-orc's direction, his expression cool. His eyes seem to glow with an unearthly light. Abruptly, he raises one arm horizontally above the table, eyes locked on Sir Ugghra. He makes a deft motion with his other hand, and suddenly... his sleeve seems to open up like a stage curtain. Behind it, on what does indeed appear to be a miniature stage a little puppet show plays out in the space of about sixty seconds, starring a marionette the size of a mouse which looks uncannily like a wooden verion of the beastly aristocrat. The puppet sails a magnificent ship to an island, defeats a puppet creature that looks something like a griffon or a manticore, and sails home where he is greeted by a hoard of cheering commoners before retiring to his castle. The curtains drop and once again you see only Ozwaldus' sleeve..."Is that more to your liking, sir?... Haha! Yes, my good, ah... man," he says, all friendly smiles now. "I suspected you were a person of refined tastes. Delightful. You see, my regular show is geared to the tastes of the regulars." He glances around, then adds in a whisper "The thumb trick kills here..." In a normal voice he continues, "I sensed right away you fellows were anything but regular. Tell me, what brings you here? Are you on business of some sort? May I buy you a drink sir, to replace the one I've sullied? I do appologize, sometimes I get carried away." He smiles at them, then waves to Stew. "Steward, my friend, please, a round of drinks for me and my new acquaintances."

Stew smiles wide and rushes to the bar to fill the party's drink order.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Inferno »

"How Charming, I'm Sure," murmured the suave savage unconvincingly as he looked once more to the door.
"Business? No. Just Dining With An Old Friend As We Pass Through Town," Ugghra lied with a polite smile.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#92 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Stew hurriedly returns to the table with a round of fresh drinks.

He looks around at the abnormally silent group and then back to Ozwaldus.

Well? Did they tell you about their business here yet?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#93 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I'm not sure why the posts have slowed in this thread so I feel like I should chime in.

With the group now scattered to the four winds, and a lot of action happening in the private threads, it is imperative that we keep this main thread moving along as best we can.

I want to do whatever it takes to push the action so the group can eventually reunite again. That will also prevent one or two players having to deal with an extreme lag in the action.

So, don't be afraid of this strange spell caster. Go ahead and talk to him. What is the worst that can happen?

If you have multiple questions for the man, feel free to post several at a time to speed the conversation along. (thanks for the tip Cauchy)

So......please carry on.
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#94 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ozwaldus replies to Stew. "No, Stewart, my friend, they have not entrusted me with their business, but one can hardly blame them. They know nothing of me. Why, to them I am merely the great Ozwaldus, for whom all manner of illusion is ... possiblus..." he trails off, dissatisfied with his lame rhyming attempt. "Perhaps you could vouch for my character and make a more formal introduction? The drinks don't seem to be working."

Stew clears his throat and replies.

My good gentlemen and lady.......this is not only the famous performer, Ozwaldus. He is also a longtime friend and customer of ours here at the Jug. I think he might be able to help you, if you think you could use the help that is.

Scott308

#95 Post by Scott308 »

Father Dowling

The priest stands up, offering a sheepish grin. Gentlemen, I apologize for interrupting the conversation, but I'm afraid I must relieve myself. If you will excuse me, I shall return shortly. He then wanders off in the direction of the privy.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Inferno »

Most uncomfortable with the intrusive nature of this uninvited stranger who seemed unaware or uncaring of all social grace and mores, Sir Ugghra looked to Father Dowling to vouch for Stew Kresty, as he seemed to have spent the most time with him, but the good padre had suddenly taken a powder. A bad sign indeed.

The half-orc from Pitchfork's Tavern... Mr. Kresty... was there no one left in Brotherton who wasn't aware of this covert teams' every move? Clearly, the age of sensitivity, decorum and discretion had long ago departed this base world. Woe to the future of our great nation!

"Help?" asked the aristocratic abomination politely to the entertainer over the round of drinks that had suddenly appeared. "How Do You Propose To Help Us, Kind Sir?"
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Scott308

#97 Post by Scott308 »

Father Dowling

The priest returns shortly, taking his seat. I do apologize for that. Unfortunately, when nature calls, it must be answered. Now where were we? Oh yes- we would not be averse to some help. Looking at Ozwaldus, Dowling asks, Now, Mr. Kresty believes you can help us. How do you propose to do so?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#98 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ozwaldus regards Ugghra for a moment, sensing the half-orc's distrust. He pauses and looks after the departed Father Dowling, then resumes when the priest returns. "Look, sirs, I'll level with you. I like to preserve an air of mystery, it's my calling, but let us speak frankly, refined aristocrat to unbelievably astounding magician, shall we? My talent is showmanship and deception, it is true, but I assure you these things can be put to a noble use." "You are, of course, correct not to trust me with no proof. Perhaps one amongst you has the means to detect the motives of another? I welcome such a test." Ozwaldus speaks earnestly now. "Stewart is a dear friend of mine. When he lost his dear wife these twenty-five years ago, I endeavored to help. What little I found is this:

There was a certain creepy fellow that used to mill around town about the time Stew's dear wife went missing. A mysterious one, he was. He used to try to swoon any woman that would listen. He hung around town, off and on, for about 5 years, changing his appearance from time to time in order, one assumes, to increase his chances with the ladies. He always used a different name and told conflicting tales about his past - an obvious ne'er do well. I was never able to narrow down any solid factual evidence about him, unfortunately, but I do believe he was involved in her disappearance.

Oddly, he eventually and rather suddenly began to put on a lot of weight, the ladies became even less interested than before, and left town. That was All some time ago, as I said. Perhaps not a huge help to you, but if you are on the track afresh I would like to offer my services to your group. Perhaps together we can achieve what I was not able to on my own..."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Inferno »

This story fit well with Ugghra's mysterious paramour theory.

His grotesque face carefully guarded, the lamentable lord slid his terrible eyes over to Father Dowling, who knew Kresty better than any of the investigators.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#100 Post by OGRE MAGE »

While the illusionist waited to hear the priests response, Stew excuses himself from the table, looking rather confused by the flagrant suspicious behavior of the party.

I must see to my other guests now. This doesn't seem to be going very well anyway. Excuse me please, thank you.

With that, the old man in the apron is gone to tend to his other patrons.

Return to “Can You Help A Brother Out? (1E)”