Action Thread 1

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Action Thread 1

#1 Post by rredmond »

Day 1– Night time (unless you all tell me differently)

The fun part of PbP is that you can use the time machine if the DM moves you past where you want to be. Such as now, I'm going to assume that you all go to the secret door. But if you want to attempt a different entrance then let me know - I will unwave the DM hand.

You stand before the secret entrance at the back of the temple. This entrance was described clearly to you all before you left on your mission by an escaped slave and you have had no trouble finding it. The slave was so traumatized that he remembered climbing up a ladder to a hallway, with others, and escaping through this secret door that another slave knew about, or divined in some way. By the time the slave got back to civilization he was the only one of his group left, he was in such a fog that he's uncertain if they were killed, or went their separate ways, or what may have happened. It is nighttime and occasionally the shadows of guards pass overhead, but none of the guards seem to notice you at all. Blodgett quickly finds the secret door, even in the dark, and before he can even check for traps the secret door has opened easily and the party sees a 5’ wide hallway before them.

Always double check the totals below that they are up to date. This is one of the most important pieces of my DM tracking mechanisms, and I assume it's good, unless someone can prove otherwise. :) Game on...

HPs: Elwita - 54/54; Ogre - 45/45; Delgath - 25/25; Karraway - 42/42; Blodgett - 25/25 ; Freda - 40/40
WIH: Elwita: war hammer, shield; Ogre: Long sword (20' radius light), shield; Delgath: Staff; Karraway: mace, shield; Blodgett: short sword; Freda: long sword, shield
MO: ???????
Consumables: Lantern - (1 pint oil = 4 hours) 30' radius; Torch (none lit, 60 minutes), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Delgath 1-4/4, 2-2/2, 3-1/1: 1-Karraway: 1-5/5, 2-5/5, 3-2/2
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 1

#2 Post by rredmond »

Day 1– Night time (unless you all tell me differently)

I'm assuming this is your entrance. Yup, I'm driving the train, last time though :) . Again if you all decide different we'll back this puppy up.

At the end of this 10’ long passage is what is obviously the back of a secret door. Constructed to look as if it were part of the wall to those on the other side, no attempt has been made to disguise the presence of the door from this side. Light from the other side faintly outlines the door, and there is a handle to pull the door open.

Ogre's sword gives about 20' radius of light, which is enough in this cramped space. And the door is outlined in light, so it may be that no torch is needed. But next step is up to you all.

Remember to double check the totals below, that they are up to date. Phanstern is added and good to go. Good luck all.

HPs: Elwita - 54/54; Ogre - 45/45; Delgath - 25/25; Karraway - 42/42; Blodgett - 25/25 ; Freda - 40/40; Phanstern - 25/25
WIH: Elwita: war hammer, shield; Ogre: Long sword (20' radius light), shield; Delgath: Staff; Karraway: mace, shield; Blodgett: short sword; Freda: long sword, shield; Phanstern: dagger
MO: Blodgett, Elwita, Freda, Ogre, Phanstern, Delgath, Karraway
Consumables: Lantern - (1 pint oil = 4 hours) 30' radius; Torch (none lit, 60 minutes), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Delgath 1-4/4, 2-2/2, 3-1/1: Karraway: 1-5/5, 2-5/5, 3-2/2: Phanstern: 1-4/4, 2-2/2, 3-1/1
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by migellito »

Phanstern points at his ear, then at Blodgett, then at the secret door ahead.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by ToniXX »

Blodgett quietly nods at Phanstern, then puts his ear to the back of the secret door and listens for activity on the other side.

Generic thief ability: [1d100] = 52
(He needed 27% or less)
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by rredmond »

Blodgett hears nothing on the other side of the door. Quite quiet it is.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by dmw71 »

ToniXX wrote:Generic thief ability: [1d100] = 52
(He needed 27% or less)
OOC: Are we, the players, supposed to roll ability checks (e.g. hear noise, find traps, etc...), or the DM?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by rredmond »

I updated the rules thread. For stuff like this, find traps, etc. I will roll. In this case I'll let it stand ;)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:I updated the rules thread. For stuff like this, find traps, etc. I will roll. In this case I'll let it stand ;)
Good decision. In my opinion, I think it's important that we are left unaware as to the success (or lack there of) when it comes to certain tasks.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by Computer +1 »

Ogre whispers
"Who has the food, I'm starving"

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:At the end of this 10’ long passage is what is obviously the back of a secret door --
Light from the other side faintly outlines the door, and there is a handle to pull the door open --
Ogre's sword gives about 20' radius of light, which is enough in this cramped space.
Elwita motions for Ogre to sheath his sword, cutting down on the light coming from the party's side of the secret door. While her initial thought was to have Freda open the door, she realizes that cutting off the light source may serve as an unnecessary obstacle and complicate the task for a human. With the party repositioned so our fighters are positioned in front and spell casters in back, Elwita uses her infravision to detect the handle of the secret door in front of us and pulls it ever so slightly... just trying to crack it open enough for the party to catch a glimpse as to what's on the other side.
-- Project --
-- DM --

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by rredmond »

Like I said in OOC thread, I'll update everything when I can, but just to move us forward.

Elwita carefully pulls on the handle, pulling the door from where it's set. As she just gets the door open a crack, she feels the twang more than hears it. Using her highly honed warrior reflexes she quickly moves to shut the door again.

Elwita must make a d20 roll vs her DEX to close the door, theres +3 bonus, so subtract three from whatever you roll to get less than 11.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:Freda carefully pulls on the handle, pulling the door from where it's set. As she just gets the door open a crack, she feels the twang more than hears it. Using her highly honed warrior reflexes she quickly moves to shut the door again.

Freda must make a d20 roll vs her DEX to close the door, theres +3 bonus, so subtract three from whatever you roll to get less than 11.
Mumbles. "Blasted traps!"

Actually, it was Elwita that pulled the handle instead of Freda. I made my dexterity check in response to your PM, before knowing there was a modifier, and my roll is below:

Dexterity Check = [1d20] = 13

With the +3 bonus, my modified roll would be a 10 (one under my 11 dexterity).
-- Project --
-- DM --

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by rredmond »

Day 1– Night time - the secret door

Oops, fixed Freda to Elwita, just so's not to scare Al. I shouldn't do this while doing second job progress notes and herding 4 girls around. :D But..

Everyone in the party sees Elwita push the door back shut, just as there's a big slam agains the door. Spikes shove through the door hitting Elwita and knocking her back into Freda and Blodgett who help keep her standing. She takes [1d6] = 3HPs damage from the spikes and force of the slam. But all can see it would have been much worse if she hadn't got the door shut in time.

After the big bang it is all very quiet behind the door. It was quiet before, but now with everyone straining to hear any movement or noise, but none is heard.

Elwita's HPs are updated, but I still have to add the new PCs just FYI.

HPs: Elwita - 51/54; Ogre - 45/45; Delgath - 25/25; Karraway - 42/42; Blodgett - 25/25 ; Freda - 40/40; Phanstern - 25/25
WIH: Elwita: war hammer, shield; Ogre: Long sword (20' radius light), shield; Delgath: Staff; Karraway: mace, shield; Blodgett: short sword; Freda: long sword, shield; Phanstern: dagger
MO: Blodgett, Elwita, Freda, Ogre, Phanstern, Delgath, Karraway
--------Spells: Delgath 1-4/4, 2-2/2, 3-1/1: Karraway: 1-5/5, 2-5/5, 3-2/2: Phanstern: 1-4/4, 2-2/2, 3-1/1

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:Spikes shove through the door hitting Elwita and knocking her back into Freda and Blodgett who help keep her standing.
Shakes head and nods to Freda and Blodgett in appreciation for bracing her fall.

Turns and whispers to the group: "So much for the element of surprise." Pauses. "Who says we find out what's on the other side of this door... assuming it will open again?"
-- Project --
-- DM --

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Argennian »

Karraway, keeping his eyes vigilantly looking around at the guards patrolling above and around them, stays to the shadows of the outer edifice as the party makes it's way quickly and quietly into the short inner passageway. Once everyone is inside, granted there's room to do so, the cleric will move inside and shut the secret door behind him.

OOC: Ron, I'm assuming that we're able to get everyone crammed inside the sercet passage. Since we have 9 armored/equipped PCs and a 10'L X 5'W area to work with, taking into account that the inside door swings into the short hall, it would definitely be a cozy fit! :) If it's decided that not everyone can fit, Karraway will stay just outside the outer door crouched in the shadows and waiting for the signal to move in.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Computer +1 »

"Mind out El, I''l get this door open. Ain't nothin' gonna be surprised by us now."

Ogre opens the door. Gently first and if it won't open with increasing force until it opens.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by rredmond »

Day 1– Night time - entering the complex

Actually you don't all quite fit, and the door opens towards you. But you work it out.

Ogre steps forward, muscles taking up more room than seems normal, but still, due to the spikes holding the door, has some difficulting getting the door open. Eschewing help (which would be a hindrance in this tiny space anyway) he is finally able to force the door open.

You see the trap, it's a simple wire holding a bent back board (that was spiked) back. Opening the door set off the trap. Weird though the setting of the trap kind of makes the secret door (which is well hidden from this side) obvious. But the door opens to a small hallway, which you can see from weapon glow and some of the roof in this area is pockmarked with small holes, letting the moonlight through. You probably can't count on it for most of your exploring, but for this area it is useful. The hallway seems deserted. It goes 20' to the right, then turns North. And, it goes 20' to the left, ending in a door in the northern wall.

Updating the map, and adding the new PCs below.

HPs: Elwita - 51/54; Ogre - 45/45; Delgath - 25/25; Karraway - 42/42; Blodgett - 25/25 ; Freda - 40/40; Phanstern - 25/25; Eljayess - 25/25; Kayen - 25/25
WIH: Elwita: war hammer, shield; Ogre: Long sword (20' radius light), shield; Delgath: Staff; Karraway: mace, shield; Blodgett: short sword; Freda: long sword, shield; Phanstern: dagger; Eljayess: Spear, shield; Kayen: long sword, shield
MO: Blodgett, Elwita, Freda, Ogre, Eljayess, Phanstern, Delgath, Kayen, Karraway
--------Spells: Delgath 1-4/4, 2-2/2, 3-1/1: Karraway: 1-5/5, 2-5/5, 3-2/2: Phanstern: 1-4/4, 2-2/2, 3-1/1; Eljayess: 1-4/4, 2-3/3; Kayen: 1-3/3, 2-2/2

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#18 Post by Alethan »

Freda steps into the hallway and turns to face the right. She whispers, "I'll keep watch while you guys check out that door..."

Edit Reason: Can't spell my own name right...

Second Edit Reason: Did have it right the first time, but saw a post somewhere else that spelled it differently, then I second-guessed my original spelling and changed it... but I was right the first time.
Last edited by Alethan on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:Freda steps into the hallway and turns to face the right. She whispers, "I'll keep watch while you guys check out that door..."
With Freda watching down the hallway to the east, Elwita sends a series non-verbal requests (points to his ear, chopping motion with his right hand, points at his own chest (ooc: listen at door, check for traps, report back)) to Blodgett before picking up his loaded crossbow and taking aim down the western hallway in the direction of the door.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Argennian »

After everyone makes it into the interior moon-lit passage, Karraway follows them through and closes the inner door as quietly as he can.

If it's possible for him to rig the board to make it look like it is still set, he'll do so. If not, he'll just close the door as best he can and stand ready with the others.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Return to “Slave Pits of the Undercity”