[Completed] - Bertram/Dwarven Ruins II - 19 April, 1 VC

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Expedition - Bertram/Dwarven Ruins II - 19 April, 1 VC

#361 Post by KingOfCowards »

With the hobgoblin already in binds, Bertram will walk towards the sleeping creature, looking like he will give it an easy death. He hears Martin's protests, but he does not seem to agree with the cleric. "I'll spare its life. But not for moral high ground. If we can't get information out of it, we'll hand it over to the Duke. We know very little about these gnolls, and a prisoner might be worth something."

Bertram will bind the gnoll, while it sleeps. Then begin searching the bodies of the dead and the captured. The last hobgoblin we found was fairly well equipped.

I say we get Seadu back on his feet. Either with sips from his brew or with another CLW (does Martin still have one)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#362 Post by hedgeknight »

Krysta will burn her CLW scroll on healing Seadu and getting ready to move out.
DM roll please?
Winter is coming...

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#363 Post by Keehnelf »

CLW [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4

Seadu starts awake after a few moments.

The gnoll wakes up in the middle of being bound, snapping and snarling at its captors viciously with its long, dog-like teeth. It yips and howls and calls out to the hobgoblin in the chaotic tongue entreatingly.

The hobgoblin simply stares at the creature with disdain and sullenly watches Bertram as he leads a search of the fallen patrol's belongings. "So...what will you do with us?"

Bertram finds essentially the same set of quality but unlovely gear as on the other hobgoblin. Each carries a set of the bizarre handbooks and the survivor has a map tucked into one, the same map found previously. The party recovers one shield, one usable suit of human-sized studded leather, and one usable suit of human or dwarf sized chainmail (each of these last off the prisoners). Also, two longbows, seventeen longbow arrows, four long-bladed knives adorned with what appear to be human teeth dangling from the pommels (from the gnolls), two sturdy and extremely straight-bladed shortswords (from the hobgoblins) and nineteen gold pieces in coins of various denominations.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#364 Post by Marullus »

Bromric stands, considering the captives a long moment. Some decision is reached however, as he turns and instead responds to Ulf, straightening himself to his full stature. He first begins a greeting in an ancient dialect of dwarvish then pauses, looking around at the others, and switches to common. "Do not worry for your friend. He is safe for the moment. I thank you for bringing me to freedom. Long have I been in thrall, forced to serve against my will by the greed of the ancient dwarves. I would reward you with all the treasures of their most secret chamber, if you have the strength to carry onward to your goal."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#365 Post by Zhym »

Ulf's look of concern grows even more troubled as Bromric speaks—or the sword speaks through him.

"To whom am I speaking?" he asks. "And what do you believe is my goal? I thought my immediate goal was to make it back to town alive. No one's ever offered me a chamber full of treasures for doing that."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#366 Post by Marullus »

"Was not your goal to follow the dwarf-king's heir to lend aid in his battle?" asks Bromric. "If you must resupply and gather aid, I can understand the... mortal frailty. But if you continue on you will have my aid. The chamber of treasures lies within that ancient dwarven hold."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#367 Post by Zhym »

"It is odd to hear someone bemoan dwarven greed one moment and appeal to it the next," replies Ulf. "And I must ask again: to whom am I speaking?"

"Yes, I want to help Fangir. But we lost his trail and our mortal bodies, as you say, are battered and tired. We need sleep." Ulf chances a glance at Constance and Abi as he says that last word. "And, once we return to town, we could indeed resupply and gather more aid."

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#368 Post by KingOfCowards »

Bertram looks suspiciously at the form of Bromric, "There must be a piece to your story that I am missing. You offer us great treasure, but what's in it for you?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#369 Post by Marullus »

Bromric remains stiff, proud in his posture, unlike his normal relaxed self. While the accent is archaic, he seems plain spoken and blunt. "I regret that my name is not pronounceable, nor is it imperative." He considers a moment, regarding Bertram and looking over him as their leader, and then the spared prisoners, before he responds. "My goal is to leave this realm... the quickest route to that freedom is in the chamber. All other treasures are yours once I depart. There is no guile in this, but there is great aid for whomever moves with me to that goal. If you do not wish it to be you, I will seek other allies to take possession of the chamber and its secrets. It is your freedom and your choice, and I seek only the same freedom of will for myself. Surely this is understandable."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#370 Post by Zhym »

"You seek our help," says Ulf, "but we know almost nothing about you. It would help us in our decision to know more about the one who asks our help. You say your name is not pronounceable. Your spirit is not dwarven, then?"

Ulf looks around at the battle-worn party, then back to Bromric. "As I said, we are in no condition for another fight if we can avoid it. Let us continue to Vaul, where we can rest and resupply. On the way, you can tell us more about yourself, how you came to be in this condition, how we would gain access to this chamber, and how possession of this chamber means your freedom. If your cause is just, I will join you, along with anyone else who would do the same. Does this sound fair?"
I think we're about a day to a day-and-a-half out of Vaul.

It took us about two and a half days to get to the dwarven tomb. We're about a day's travel back, I think (I'm a little confused because this post was timestamped at April 24, 3:30 pm, and the next timestamp was April 25 at 4:10. Is that second timestamp as of the start of the post, or the end?). We traveled for an afternoon, camped, then encountered the hobgoblins and gnolls in the mid-afternoon. I think it should currently be mid-afternoon on the 25th, about a day or so out of Vaul.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#371 Post by Starbeard »

Seadu's nostrils take in the familiar tinge of healing magic and he slowly comes to. 'I suppose I am in your debt,' he tells Krysta when he notices her discarded scroll. 'I am grateful! A favour begets a favour: I will gladly nurse you back to health without recompense when next you need it.'

He notices that he has only half of her attention, and follows her eyes over to Bromric and his crazed mutterings. 'Well, I seem to be missing all of the exciting parts of this expedition.'

He speaks louder this time, so that Ulf can hear him: 'I would like to know how this unpronounceable spirit has come to possess our companion. Has it been following us disembodied, or has Bromric dragged some cursed item away from the tomb? Beyond this curiosity, I would have it know that I am a Velesian cleric and would help any to reach the gates of the underworld who deserve it, but I would require some proof of merit or goodwill. Also, I have a headache and would rest a bit before moving on.'

OOC: Healed 4 hp from -1 to 3.

YamItheonly1
Tracker
Tracker

#372 Post by YamItheonly1 »

Mokatah answers the hobgoblin "We'll turn you in to the authorities and leave you in their hands. I promise not to harm you in any way so long as you cooperate."

Turning towards Bromric, Mokatah says"So ummm...If you aren't dwarven then what were you before, and why are you possessing my friends body? Can you not find another way to talk?

Also if we have any heals left Mokatah is down to 4/6HP, Mokatah would like to claim one of those fancy long bladed knives with human teeth, if no one minds.
R.I.P. Riddle the only dwarven atheist thief who killed a god
If you find SweetpotatoItheonly1 tell him "you are the only one"

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#373 Post by KingOfCowards »

Bertram is not yet satisfied with the spirit's answers, "Far be it from me to deny an innocent its freedom. But does not your freedom come at the expense of our friend Bromric's? If we choose to help you, would Bromric regain control of his physical form?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#374 Post by Marullus »

As Bertram requests, they head out, Bromric taking the saddle on his sturdy little pony. He answers their questions as they ride.

"You are correct - I have no body of my own," replies Bromric. "I cannot speak without the aid of your friend. He will be returned when I depart. When I took his body, he was dead and lost to you. In that way, he already fares better than when he called for my aid. No harm will come to him from me; attempting to harm me will only slay him. He is brave, but quite fragile."

"I am from another plane," he responds to Mokatah, "I do not belong here, and I am not here willingly. My existence here is... agony." His expression clouds for a moment, the bland expression of Bromric emerging briefly. The proud, stern look returns as he continues to speak. "The dwarves sought power beyond their ability, and beyond their ken. They summoned me and bound me as their slave, to an existence of torment where I have remained for millennia. The rituals, which are required for my release, are locked with their greatest treasures. I will use them to free myself, to return to my own plane, and destroy the book to prevent any other from being subject to this fate."

Bromric nods towards the Finger of Doom on the horizon. "The dwarven halls lie within that lone mountain. Within it is the Thrice-Locked Chamber, which contains the greatest relics of the Ancient Dwarven Kings. The chamber has three doors, each distinctive and ornate, each with its own key. Each door is located apart from the others. All three doors must be unlocked before one is opened, by its design. When it was opened in ages passed, the keys were present, the halls were safe and walked by dwarves. At present, I can act through your friend - as he could not single-handedly do this, neither can I."

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#375 Post by Spartakos »

Marullus wrote:As Bertram requests, they head out...
Who requested what now? I didn't see any sign that we're moving...or in which direction. I thought we're all questioning whatever's taken over Bromric?

Galen's face is sober, tinged with concern...things that possess the bodies of others are rarely known for their benevolence.

"We ask many questions, but you give few answers...your offer of riches is well-taken, but we require information before we can know if we can aid you. Can you not pause a brief while, and let us discuss the matter?" He looks warily at the faces of his teammates.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#376 Post by Zhym »

Ulf suggested whatever's-in-Bromric fill us in while riding to town. I haven't heard anyone speak up for riding back to the dwarf hold or the Finger, so I thought we were still planning to head to Vaul.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#377 Post by Marullus »

Right, sorry. It was Ulf, not Bertram.

Just was trying to move it forward - if we are intentionally resolving before we move, that is fine.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#378 Post by Keehnelf »

April 27, 1 VC - 9:30am

The party takes its prisoners and then heads back toward Vaul--the next day and a half pass uneventfully as they travel over the moor steadily westward, and two mornings later they find themselves before the gate of the small town.

Please deduct two days' rations apiece--the hobgoblin and gnoll had food enough for themselves during this time in their gear.

I'll leave this thread active while you arrange things with Bromric's "visitor", and will get around to posting rewards soon. I believe you have enough healing among the group to get everyone up to full while you are traveling, so everyone mark themselves back up to max HP.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#379 Post by hedgeknight »

Krysta will not be going on this quest to free Bromric. She is staying in Vaul.
Winter is coming...

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#380 Post by KingOfCowards »

I was going to suggest we use a sleep spell on Bromric in the morning. My guess is that whatever is taken hold of him came through the sword, so I was hoping to disarm him while he slept. From the spirit's own description, this does not seem possible. But then again, we are taking the word of someone who essentially kidnapped our friend's body while he was injured.

As long as we're talking about future plans already, I don't quite know where Bertram is headed. I will need to wait until we get back to Vaul. Once he finds out that Adrienne is captured by orcs and Lug led a search party, he may be headed in the same direction anyway.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”