HELP!!! The quest begins

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

HELP!!! The quest begins

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Before we start I would like to thank all of you for joining the game. I see some really interesting character builds so I can't wait to see what happens in this one. Maybe it will all flow like a well written symphony, or maybe we all crash and burn. :lol:

I would also like to welcome Cauchy to the table. He is the only player I haven't gamed with yet on here. Welcome friend! (Welcome to the rest of you guys too)

I want to stress again that this will be a thinking mans adventure. You will not solve any problems if you go around killing most of the townspeople you encounter. Keep in mind that this is supposed to be a mystery type adventure that you will need to work together to solve problems by gathering information in order to survive.

None of you really know each other so I think that will also lead to some fun surprises. It might even be possible that some of the party members are not playing for the same side, if you know what I mean. That should help add to the intrigue as you slowly get the feel for each other.

I would like to keep to a fairly strict every other day post rate. If you know there will be a time when you can't post in 48 hours that's no problem, just let me know and I will NPC you for that time.

I will start out by posting a little info on here and then I will privately post your characters reasons for being involved in the adventure and how they came to be here. Then I will open this thread again and you will all get together one at a time which will be a chance for each of you to do a little self introduction.

Thanks again and I hope you like it!
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: HELP

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Also, anything I tell you in your private threads is usually information that only your character would know.

It is completely up to you whether you choose to share any of it with the rest of the group or not.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: HELP!!! The Quest begins

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

INTRO

You were each contacted (some of you inadvertently) by the High Priest of the Temple of Pelor in Brotherton. They have experienced a number of townsfolk that have gone missing and they need help to figure out what is happening. You are asked to meet in an abandoned warehouse on the outskirts of town. The note you received also includes a map and it mentions that secrecy is of the utmost importance in order to avoid any unwanted attention. It would seem that the less local people who know about your mission, the better.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: HELP!!! The quest begins

#4 Post by OGRE MAGE »

You each arrive individually at the designated area to find a large, fenced in building. The gate in the fence is opened and there is a large table with benches just outside the main doors of the building. There is a sign outside the doors that reads in common, "Please Wait Here". There is water and wine on the table along with dried fruits, hard cheese, and bread.

This is where I would like each player to arrive and introduce themselves in any manner they see fit. A D&D party meet and greet if you will.

The order of arrival is not really important but we will do it like this:

Sir Ugghra
Grillock and Odilo
Everyone else in any order

Thanks!

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Inferno »

Sir Ugghra, Half-Orc Aristocrat:

Punctuality being only one of the many benefits of good breeding, Sir Ugghra Caine arrived first.

Dashing, suave, and monstrous in any attire, he was utterly spectacular in his full dress armor which was as fine, gleaming and silver as the proverbial spoon of his enviable childhood. His rich soft cape was his singular source of color today and it was blood red.

Despite his host's inconceivable rudeness at not being there to greet her guests (not even sending servants!) the well-mannered, gruesome gentleman would await her arrival before partaking of food or drink, though he did inspect the wine bottle's label with an arched and dubious eyebrow.

The gigantic goblinoid warmly greeted the other guests when they arrived. The smile that graced his brutish simian face was the correct width, and his bow the proper depth, precisely. His lovely bestial voice said: "Sir Ugghra Caine, of the Chendl Caines. If I May Say, Sir, It is a Great Pleasure and a Singular Honour to Make Your Esteemed Acquaintance."
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#6 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo looks the dandy half-orc up and down with a scrutinizing look "And just whom might you be? Definitely not Mortimer that is for sure." turning to Grillock "Grillock might you know who this dandy is?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Inferno »

Sir Ugghra, half-orc aristocrat:

When Ugghra saw Odilo, he thought, "At Last. I could Kill for a Brandy." Then he realized Odilo wasn't a servant. He was dressed too poorly.
Ugghra deftly recovered and formally introduced himself (as per the above).
GreyWolfVT wrote:Odilo looks the dandy half-orc up and down with a scrutinizing look "And just whom might you be? Definitely not Mortimer that is for sure."
"Sir Ugghra Caine," the urbane beast repeated, slower this time. "At Your Service."

To set the guest at ease, Ugghra thoughtfully engaged him in polite conversation; small talk, of the kind designed not to pry. He helpfully said, "You know, My Good Man, It is Quite Possible that I May Be of Some Assistance to You, yes, in Locating the Nearest and Most Reputable Men's Haberdashery. It would Be My Pleasure. If You Are to Attend a Proper Gathering, You Will, of course, Not Wish to Appear as if You have Come Directly from a Canal Barge. No. You will, I am Certain, want Suitable Raiments. I Need Not Waste my Breath in Reminding You, Sir, that One's Personal Appearance Speaks Volumes about Him, before He has Ever Uttered a Word. If You are to Continue to Put your Best Foot Forward during Your Stay in Brotherton, You could Do No Better than to Avail Yourself of the Invaluable Services and Goods offered by a Quality Tailor as Soon As Possible. After all, No One Wants to be Mistaken for a Chimney Sweep, Do They?" And, with those well-intentioned words, Ugghra smiled pleasantly.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Dram »

Grillock- Odilo I have no idea who this is. My name is Grillock. And you must not concern yourself with the way my friend looks. Because as they say looks can be deceiving. Grillock sits himself at the table. Grabs a couple pieces of cheese. Grabs the loaf of bread tears it in half. He pockets a piece of cheese and half of the loaf he just fire in half. Then pours himself some whine.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#9 Post by Scott308 »

Father William Dowling of Baskerville

A rather rotund, elderly priest enters the room, looking around at those gathered. Is this where the, ah, investigative team is meeting? Has anyone seen Brother Tomas, yet?

The priest, bald and bearded, clad in studded leather armor and a metal helm, and using a quarter staff as a walking stick, looks at the group expectantly.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Inferno »

Dram wrote:Grillock- Because as they say looks can be deceiving.
"Quite Right, Sir!" agreed the grotesque nobleman. "But It was Not Concern that Stirred me to Act. No. Rather only a Desire to be Helpful."
The fanged orc creature's pleasant, polite attention returned to the bedraggled hermit, and he added discretely, "If Funds are The Issue, I'm Sure Something can be Arranged, if you Take My Meaning, Good Sir."

When the priest arrived, Ugghra greeted him warmly, bowed, and formally introduced himself, Odilo and Grillock. "Good Padre, how Delighted I Am to see an Educated and Upstanding Man Of The Cloth counted Among the Number of Our Modest Little Company. Welcome! Please Make Yourself Comfortable as we Await Our Tardy Host. Was the Journey Long? Whence have you Come?"
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Grognardsw »

Orando Magnus Gallus

"This must be the place," thinks Orando as he looks past the sign to the modest farming town beyond. He shakes his head with resignation. "What one does for family... Onward Mount!"

Orando canters Mount toward the the warehouse at the outskirts. He circles the building, checking for lurkers, exits, windows, and any unusual features. Then he ties his horse up, gathers up his carmine robe woven by vestal virgins under a full moon, and sweeps through the door.

"Greetings and salutations! I am Orando Magnus Gallus, third son of Ferestivian Gallus of the Ferestivian Forests."  He is tall for an elf, fair-skinned with a welcoming smile, deep blue eyes and long white-blond hair. He is ambiguously handsome as elves are wont to be. He moves with a fluid grace.

Orando greets the others in turn then picks at the food and wine. He looks admiringly at Sir Ugghra. "What a charming brute! And such clothes do make the orc. But fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months. But you know that from Court. If only all of your species smelled so fresh. I admire your courage for being yourself. But then, one can only be oneself; everyone else is already taken.”

He grasps a bananna, peels it, and slowly takes it in his mouth.

"My good man," Orando says to the disheveled older bearded man. "My horse is tethered outside. Could you see he is brushed and fed?"

The elf pours a cup of wine, takes a cherry between two fingers, and pops it over the drink.

"Ah a fellow elf!" says Orando. "From where do you hail?"

The elf spies Epi enter and bows to her. Then Orando nods to Father Dowling. "You bear a striking resemblance to a religious man I knew two centuries ago, a Brother Cadfael. A good human, very sincere."

The elf grasps a peach, squeezing it to taste its juices.

"So we are all 'adventurers' I suppose," Orando half-asks between chews. "Adventuring is simply the refuge of those who have nothing to do. But let's not tell our host that."

"Did you all receive maps? Are they all the same? Who knows the nature of our task? I do not believe ignorance is bliss."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#12 Post by Scott308 »

Father William Dowling of Baskerville

The priest, hearing the words coming from the half-Orc, raises an eyebrow. He introduces himself, adding, The temple in Chendl was contacted, and they sought me out to assist with the search for the missing people. I confess I am disappointed that our host is not yet present. I would like to begin as soon as we can. He sighs, approaching the table, helping himself to the food and wine. Might as well partake in this meager repast while we wait.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#13 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

A figure in a stained, soiled, and hooded cloak limps to the gate pausing to read the sign. She shrugs and turns toward the group, "I take it this is the...um...investigators...gathered by Brother Tomas." With an awkward bow, "Epi the ranger at your service."

Epi takes a seat at the table keeping her hood up and her face in shadow. She slips some dried fruit into her pocket and takes sip of water, "So anyone have any more information than that?"

GreyWolfVT

#14 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo proud of his dwarf like looks for a human stands tall "Well we are quite the gathered oddities are we not?" selecting a seat near Grillock the mage seats hims self. "You'll pardon me I'm more of a travelling sage than the adventurer type. Though I do yearn for adventure. I wear the road on my garments as a sort of badge of honor per say." looks around at the folks as they enter. "Greetings Epi, Father William, Gallus, Sir Ugghra. I am Odilo just Odilo the Sage if you wish for a title. As for a surname I don't go by one and haven't for some time. Now as for information I know the same as you stated Epi. Now the question is where is our host?" looking around "And oh where is our server for that matter? I could use a sip of brandy weary from the road any my bones could use the warming of a bit of brandy."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#15 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The mounted Orando arrives and takes a cursory lap around the building. He finds no one else around and he notices that the rest of the doors and windows in the building are boarded up. There is a covered wagon and a pair of mules out back, indicating that there may already be someone inside.

The party arrives outside the wearhouse and makes their acquaintances. It is a rather interesting group with a good mix of brain and brawn. Orando bids Odilo to see to his horse. The outspoken Half-Orc and the pretty elf seem to hit it off immediately.

Ugghra offers to buy Odilo some better clothes while the dirty mage does a little name drop that nobody picks up on. The fair elf seduces the non forbidden fruit from the table. The thief and ranger stuff their pockets with dried food as the cleric of Tyr gets down to business, he and Odilo already complaining about the whereabouts of Brother Tomas.

Maps are compared and they are all indeed the same. They show nothing of the town itself and it seems that none of you have ever been to Brotherton before. The door holding the "Please Wait Here" sign remains closed and no sound is heard from within.

GreyWolfVT

#16 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo "Eh you'll have to find someone else to tend your horse for I am a mage of sorts. Now seeing as it is so quiet within I guess we shall go in and investigate? What say you Grillock?" looking to Grillock "Perhaps Mortimer resides within."

Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#17 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

"Is that a map? May I take a look?"

Assuming one is passed to her, "Wow, look at all these places I've never been. Brotherton didn't even make it on the map and it is one of the largest towns I've been in. How do people live in such confined spaces. After looking over the map for a bit, "I guess it was too much to hope to have a nice red x saying Search here." She passes the map back, "Thanks."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Inferno »

The debonair monstrosity said to Orando with great humility, "You are Too Kind, Madam." He bowed deeply and gallantly kissed Orando's hand.
"May I say that your Lovely Gown and Lustrous Hair are Especially Breathtaking this Fine Afternoon? And that if the Unsightly Nature of Fashion results in its Mercurial State of Ever-Changing Flux, then surely Elvenkind must be Truly Magnificent in its Beauty. Because, after all, Elves Never Change, do they?"
Then, quietly, with the discretion of a true gentleman: "Madam, May I be so Bold as to Enquire whether your Husband Knows that You are Here? I Feel the Need to Warn You, this may be an Affair of Some Considerable Danger, most Unbecoming a Woman. Also, whilst You are Here, Who is Minding Your Children?"

Ugghra formally introduced himself to Epi, also confusing her gender due to her short hair, scar, limp, and weapons. "I say, It's Rather Good to have you Among Us, My Friend! A Real, Sporting Fighter!
"...Brotherton, one of the Largest Towns You've Ever Visited? I should Welcome the Opportunity to Host You, at your convenience of course, in Chenl, the Very Heart of Civilization, and the Undisputed Capitol of the World."

Unlike the other guests, the half-orc aristocrat would not partake of the food. It was an unconscionable breach of etiquette and good breeding to do so, almost as atrocious as the deplorable offence committed by their unforgivably absent host.

More insulted with each passing minute, Ugghra quietly approached the door with the sign tacked upon it. He knocked demurely with a large hairy hand whose pinky was delicately extended. "Hello? Excuse Me? I say, May I be of Some Service?"

If there was no answer, he opened the door and softly called in again. "Pardon Me?"
If there was no answer, he slowly entered. "May I Help? Your Guests Have Arrived."
If there was no answer, he slowly continued into the next room, "I say, Do Forgive my Beastly Intrusion but is Anyone About?"
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

GreyWolfVT

#19 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo slips in beside Ugghra and pushes his way in the door. "Pardon me Ugghra." is all he says as he tries to get in the door. Then he calls in through the door "Mortimer? Hello are you in here Mortimer?"

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Dram »

Grillock- Odilo sit down enjoy the free meal and drink. Let the pretty half orc make an ass of himself. Hello my name is Grillock. My lady would you like some whine? Grillock continues to grab two items at a time while pocketing one. He gives Epi a wink. You never know when the next meal is going to come.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Return to “Can You Help A Brother Out? (1E)”