[Continued] - Lug/A Rescue Mission - 28 April, 1 VC

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Lug/A Rescue Mission - 28 April, 1 VC

#401 Post by Keehnelf »

May 8, 1 VC - 6:40am

The party halts briefly, and watches in relief as the spiders continue onward to the north, fleeing the forest fire and ignoring the party as they go.

The group immediately sets off once again, their steps stumbling in the darkness and their breath coming ragged as they pile hour upon hour of steady travel. All through the next day the party staggers forward, one foot in front of the next to gain enough advantage over the flames to cut a path to the south, and though their pace is slackening, so too is the westward advance of the flames. Finally by the end of the day they see enough of an opening form for them to begin angling toward the moor and they do so. The flames are perhaps a mile to the east of their path as they tumble around a thicket and past a high-stacked pile of fallen logs and encounter a small encampment in the midst of a chaotic flurry of activity.

Close to a dozen gnomes in dun-colored robes and tunics are gathering up belongings that lie about a cozy space in the midst of the forest roughly thirty feet across, heaping materials on top of a small wooden cart hitched to a nervous-looking donkey. One among them leaps up in surprise when she spots the party, pointing and screaming incoherently. The rest of the gnomes take up the cry and, at the sight of the filthy and battered-looking party they immediately begin to scatter in all directions.

Please deduct one day's rations.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#402 Post by Zhym »

"Hey, wait, it's okay!" shouts Lug. "We're friends! Or at least not whatever monsters we look like!"

"Aw hell," he says in a more normal voice, "maybe they don't understand me. Anyone here speak gnome?"

2 days rations deducted, including the previous. Anyone out of rations?

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#403 Post by Scott308 »

Dorvar

Upon seeing the gnomes scatter, the dwarf calls out to them in Gnomish.
Stop! We mean you no harm. Who are you? What is this place? My name is Dorvar. My friends and I are fleeing the flames. We have travelled for two days with no rest in attempt to stay ahead of the blaze.
I still have three days worth of rations.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#404 Post by Marullus »

Niles ate his last ration yesterday and has none left. Stumbling and exhausted, he doesn't notice until asked.

Scott308

#405 Post by Scott308 »

Dorvar

The dwarf notices Niles seems a bit off, and isn't eating when everyone else does. Here, take this. You need to eat or you won't make it back to Vaul. Dorvar gives Niles one of his rations.

Down to two now.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#406 Post by Zhym »

Seeing Dorvar starting to give some of his rations to Niles, Lug stops him. "I got plenty," he says. He gives Niles two days worth of trail rations.

2 days rations deducted.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#407 Post by Marullus »

Niles gratefully accepts and eats Dorvar's ration. As Lug offers, he thanks him and carefully packs them away for the remaining journey."It is still difficult, at times, learning the extremes of a new form," he says absently as he eats."A month ago, I had never walked on these feet, now they run miles and days. It is a strange thing."
(Simplifying the accounting. One eaten, two in inventory.)

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#408 Post by AleBelly »

Varas, glad to have bypassed the spiders, is so tired by this point he thinks one of those gnomes is that crazy flute player near the Carkiss.

Shaking the cobwebs from his head, he canters Mustard close to their wagon, flashing them a smile. If not too conspicuous, he will try to ascertain the contents of the cart the gnomes carry.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#409 Post by Zorroroaster »

Marge watches the gnomes with curiosity.

"God with magic, they are. Can't have 'em in yer garden though."

2 days deducted. Down to 3.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#410 Post by Zhym »

Keehnelf wrote:May 8, 1 VC - 6:40am
Good grief! I just noticed the date. There's a serious possibility that with all the delays, Vaul might be under attack by the time this party gets back. Yikes!

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#411 Post by AleBelly »

Rations and horse feed deducted, BTW

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#412 Post by Marullus »

Chewing a piece of dried beef, Nihilius watches the gnome camp with interest. He glances occasionally a the approaching fire line, but otherwise waits for Lug's decision.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#413 Post by Zhym »

Lug is waiting to see if the gnomes respond to Dorvar.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#414 Post by Keehnelf »

The gnomes slow their flight, many turning and hiding behind tree-trunks rather than continuing to run. One, probably the leader, steps back out of the brush into the clearing and straightens his stained tunic while gesturing vaguely with the short-handled hammer he holds in one hand as he speaks in his high-pitched voice:

In Gnomish:
"Oh, friend dwarf! You quite surprised us--we had not expected anyone to come near from that direction, and assumed you were abominations of flame and come to destroy us, or worse yet--minions of the Fire Tribe who had found us at last now that our protective illusions have lapsed in preparation for our journey. For in fact, we are also attempting to flee the fires. We heard rumor of a settlement of men to the south who might prove less dangerous than this blaze. Is that your destination as well?"

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#415 Post by AleBelly »

Varas giggles at the gnome's high pitched voice. He looks to Dorvar for an interpretation.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#416 Post by Keehnelf »

Varas, looking over the cart's contents while the gnomes are otherwise occupied by their fear, gets a good look at the lives of these tiny creatures. The vehicle is piled high with bins and containers of various kinds, with mechanical items jutting out from under cooking pots and rolls of elaborately-organized tools strapped to the sides of wooden crates that themselves seem brimming over with tiny metal odds and ends, likely salvaged from other non-functional goods. Very little of what's there seems to be clothing, bedding, or items that are self-evidently valuable. If pressed, Varas would probably describe most of what he sees, apart from the lovingly-cared-for and extremely well-made tools, as junk.

The donkey lays its ears back on its head and bares its teeth at him as he turns to go.

Scott308

#417 Post by Scott308 »

Dorvar

The dwarf will translate for the sake of the rest of the party.

Is this settlement to the south Vaul? I'm not real good at figuring directions on the map and do not want to give them incorrect info because I don't know something Dorvar would.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#418 Post by Zhym »

Yes, I think he's talking about Vaul.

Lug listens to the translation. "Tell him we're going to that settlement now, and that we'd be happy to bring them with us if they want."

Scott308

#419 Post by Scott308 »

Dorvar

In Gnomish:
It is, good sir gnome! That is the village of Vaul, and that is where we call home. We would be happy to accompany you there if you wish.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#420 Post by Zhym »

When the gnomes are ready, Lug leads the way out of the forest and back to town.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”