Action Thread 9

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Action Thread 9

#1 Post by rredmond »

Day 14 – Noonish

This is where we are at right now. Just wanted to double check that all the info included is correct.
Everyone please update your character sheets with your fun new magic items.

"Are we leaving now?" Eyman asks.

The totals below should be up to date. Who has the magic battle axe?
Everyone take a peek at the Marching Order, now that we've regrouped.

HPs: Jeloon - 25/29; Till - 35/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19; Derek - 33/40
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow [ogre spear or long sword]; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: spear, shield; Eyman: Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon & Derek; 2 - Bruard; 3 - Yosef & Till
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 31 minutes left, 30' radius; Torch (none lit), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-2/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-3/5, 2-4/4
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Action Thread 9

#2 Post by migellito »

That looks right to me. I think one of the hirelings had the magic axe?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by Alethan »

(... checking the NPC thread...)

Since Eyman had a regular battle axe in his inventory, I think you're correct on it being he who received the magical one for (temporary) use based on the assumption that he is thusly trained to use it. (That was mentioned in one of the other numerous threads located within this game... :) )

Alas, Van is stripped of his magical spear; but I fully support all player-controlled party members having magical weapons when possible. So, at this point, the only one of us who is not so magically armed is our eagle-eyed holy man and chief healer, Bruard. But... keeping in mind he is now in possession of an ANCIENT DWARVEN ARTIFACT OF INCREDIBLE VALUE AND POWER, I think he's probably OK with that. (Plus, we have yet to run across such a weapon as he might be able to use.)

As far as the other info goes...

Till extinguishes his light upon exiting the cave and secures the lantern to a DAM. He also returns the extra vials of oil and torches to the DAM from which he took them. And the marching order indicated is not quite up-to-date; in outdoor areas, Till will take the lead. I think we rather evenly disbursed hirelings/DAMs in the marching order, as well...

We still need to figure out who is going to take the magical haversack of holding... Someone speak up soon or I'm going to assign everyone a number (according to order of character sheet in the Characters thread) and then roll some dice to see who gets it.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Argennian »

Looks good here as well. :lol: @ the helm, Alethan. I just spit gatorade through my nose all over my white shirt! :shock: (but it was well worth it! :D )

In regards to the breakdown of the marching order, maybe something like:

1. - Till (scouting just ahead)
2. - Derek & Jeloon
3. - Bruard & Eyman
4. - Ancor, Rosin & DAMs
5. - Yosef & Van

(not sure if this is correct to how we had it before, gang?)

Actually, Yosef would have no issues with Van carrying/using the +1 Ogre Spear while we march/travel, since he'll have his bow to hand. He might ask for it back for dungeon delving though... :)

Ron: Can the extra DAM we got from the dwarves be managed by Ancor & Rosin?
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:... We still need to figure out who is going to take the magical haversack of holding... Someone speak up soon or I'm going to assign everyone a number (according to order of character sheet in the Characters thread) and then roll some dice to see who gets it.
You know, now that I really think on it, Yosef could propose giving the Ogre Spear to Van, so that both he and Eyman have magical weapons and then using the magical haversack. It would certainly help him with his encumbrance since he's not really that strong, wears chainmail and carries a bloody arsenal of weapons already.

Of course, that being said, I'm totally fine with anyone else proposing a desire to claim it or perhaps all of us playing a game of KingsFeather for it! (that's what dear 'ol Dravic would propose, anyways... :) )
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by Alethan »

Argennian wrote: In regards to the breakdown of the marching order, maybe something like:

2. - Derek & Jeloon
3. - Bruard & Eyman
4. - Ancor, Rosin & DAMs
5. - Yosef & Van

Can't remember if that was the order, either, but it's close enough for my book. Let's move this little treasure train along! :)

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by migellito »

Alethan wrote:
Argennian wrote: In regards to the breakdown of the marching order, maybe something like:

2. - Derek & Jeloon
3. - Bruard & Eyman
4. - Ancor, Rosin & DAMs
5. - Yosef & Van

Can't remember if that was the order, either, but it's close enough for my book. Let's move this little treasure train along! :)
Agreed :)

Vokarius
Tracker
Tracker

#8 Post by Vokarius »

Ok, works

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by rredmond »

Day 14 – Noonish

Okey doke, we'll head you guys out later today.

Everyone packs up the treasure train.

WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow [or long sword]; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Till; 2- Jeloon & Derek; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 5- Yosef & Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 31 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch (none lit), 40' radius.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by rredmond »

Day 14 – Late-ish

You break camp and head out. Passing the place where you battled the hobgoblins, stopping only once you make good time through the pass that seems unending. You encounter no one/thing in the pass thus far. As it gets closer to dark, the squigglyness of the pass widens just around another curve and is fully 2 miles wide or more as far as you can tell at this point. To the east low hills covered with pines and hardwoods ascend into the mountain ridges. The west side of the pass is a series of tall cliffs and barren outcroppings.

Your attention is focused on one such outcropping. Standing as a lone sentry, this surely must be the guard tower your oh-so-recently deceased dwarven friend mentioned. A large guard tower with a walled compound commands a view of the pass as it, somewhat further one, dissolves into the northern barbarian realms.

You are about 30 minutes from dark at this point. The tower is still another hour or two away. Though the mountains steadily decrease, the real end of the pass HUZZAH is another 2 or 3 hours from that. Actions fellows?

WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow [or long sword]; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Till; 2- Jeloon & Derek; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 5- Yosef & Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 31 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch (none lit), 40' radius.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Argennian »

Yosef takes a deep breath and studies the view, looking over it with a sense of apparent satisfaction and relief, and then shares a smile and nod with Van. He moves up closer to the others ahead.

"Friends, let us find somewhere more discreet and defensible to make camp. We should be as fully rested and healed as we can and prepare to move to the tower at first light. What say you all?"

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Vokarius
Tracker
Tracker

#12 Post by Vokarius »

"Camp would be good. Getting dark fast."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by Alethan »

Till adds, "Though it is the opposite of where we want to go, I wonder if camping closer to the wooded hills might not provide us with more amenities than the barren rocks to our west."

OOC: How far off are the wooded hills? If more than a 15 or 30 minute walk, then never mind. We should stick close to where it widens and put our backs to a canyon wall for defensive purposes.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by rredmond »

I assumed that you continued to hug the west side of the pass. So they are more than 15 - 30 mins away.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#15 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:I assumed that you continued to hug the west side of the pass. So they are more than 15 - 30 mins away.
Ok. Then Till suggests moving back to just where the pass starts to open up and finding shelter on the canyon side that seems to show the least activity (no obvious trails or paths). He'll look for a place that makes a natural shelter, providing them with at least 200 degrees of canyon wall at their back for defensive purposes.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by migellito »

Jeloon looks relieved as well, and strangely thoughtful as she looks into the northern distance. "Agreed. Let us make our camp with a mind to hiding our fire from the view of that tower, as well as from the view of likely patrols."

Assuming the side opposite the tower, the east, would be most easily viewed from the vantage of the tower, I'll suggest we look for a rock enclosure of some kind on the west side. It can be open to the south and west, but should shelter on the north and east to keep us away from the eyes of patrols and the tower itself.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#17 Post by ToniXX »

migellito wrote:"Agreed. Let us make our camp with a mind to hiding our fire from the view of that tower, as well as from the view of likely patrols."

We might be even better served with a cold camp.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#18 Post by Alethan »

Maybe there will be opportunity to have a warm camp setup in the tower remains, but Till is fine with cold rations for a night, just to be on the safe side.

So we'll make camp, looking for an area as Jeloon suggested (on the west side of the pass, hidden from view of the tower). We'll make a cold camp for the evening. And we'll run our normal watch shifts throughout the night.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by rredmond »

I'll check but I think there's a standard watch set up. I'm not sure I'll be able to update today. Probably early tomorrow.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#20 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:I'll check but I think there's a standard watch set up. I'm not sure I'll be able to update today. Probably early tomorrow.
From the "Action Thread TOP" section, dated March 30, 2011 (wow...).
Alethan wrote: I say we set up four watches of two people for two hours. Only Yosef might have to worry about having a longer cycle of uninterrupted sleep (per his spells - just depends on how Ron handles that), so we can give him either the earliest shift or the latest shift.

Ron, what kind of rule do you have for sleeping in armour? Plate and chain are probably out... what about leather/studded leather? Allowed or not?

Finally, I think we should set it up so we have one hireling with one main party member for each shift. So something like this:

First Shift - Till and Ancor
Second Shift - Jeloon and Eyman
Third Shift - Bruard and Rosin
Forth Shift - Yosef and Van
The only update we'd need to make to it is that we now have Derek with us, as well. For the time being, we can certainly have Ancor sleep through the night in order to help speed his recovery, since he was wounded fighting the sticky wickets. But we could also rotate who gets to sleep through the night if need be.

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”