Chapter One: The Road to Gnometon

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter One: The Road to Gnometon

#41 Post by Zhym »

Between detect evil and ESP, let alone detect lie and divination, the AD&D detective who has access to even a medium-level cleric or MU should be able to spend most of his time at the fishing hole.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Zorroroaster »

Nai Tnam nods in agreement with the others. "This suspicion of theirs is fertile ground for further ill intent. We will be viewed with mistrust regardless of our course of action. In such an environment, how are we to get trustworthy counsel from ones such as these? Let us turn aside and move on, and perhaps this gnome will come to his senses when he sees the strength of our resolve."

He pauses, chewing on his lip a moment. "For what it's worth, I apologize if my initial suggestion to come here has delayed us."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Zhym »

"It was a good idea, Nai," says Fjirn. "How were you to know the gnomes would be this unwelcoming?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Zhym »

Keehnelf: You said that the dwarves and gnomes enjoyed cordial relationships and traded with each other regularly. Do we know if this kind of reception is customary?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Keehnelf »

In the past couple of years there has not been much travel between the two territories. The Badger Knights have always been vigilant defenders of the land, but usually the dwarves were exempt from their scrutiny.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by hedgeknight »

Dell Redsword

"I wonder what has happened to make 'em so jumpy," Dell says scratching his beard. "What can we do to calm their suspicions...beside mind probing, of course? Gnomes like shiny things, don't they? Maybe we can bribe 'em."
Winter is coming...

Sol
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#47 Post by Sol »

"To be fair," says Unther, "The Druid may have shapeshifting spies. This man may be merely following best practices. That said, we need him in order to enter the Gnomish Kingdom. Without his blessing, we will not be able to make a good impression upon entering their kingdom. I say we come clean with our motives - all of them - and let the chips fall where we may. We have more to gain than to lose by such an action, and if we must then depart, so be it. Yet our story, told in context, will serve just to outline the urgency of our mission and the desperation of our times."
Ready your Sword, your Spells, your Warhammer. The Iron Realm Podcast awaits!
http://theironrealm.blogspot.com/

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by hedgeknight »

Dell nods. "Wise words, Unther, wise words indeed. What say ye, Fjirn?"
Winter is coming...

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by ybn1197 »

Grim stands back, concern etched in his face. The tide protecting him from mental invasion was turning and he was not liking the prospects one bit.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Zhym »

"If forthright disclosure of our motives can convince the gnomes to let us see their king without having our minds probed, then I am willing to try," says Frjin. "But I will not require any dwarf to open his mind to another against his will. If that means we must go elsewhere, so be it."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Keehnelf »

The gnome Captain, sensing that some kind of conclusion has been reached, dismounts and approaches once again, perhaps hoping to signal in this way that there is no hostile intent indicated. "So, have you all decided on what path you will take?"

Sol
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#52 Post by Sol »

Unther turns to the gnomish captain and expresses the situation. "The truth is, sir gnome, that our kingdom does not have the resources we once did. Indeed, following our attempt to put down the Black Druid, most of our militia was destroyed. Our Kingdom still has enough for our own defense, but another frontal assault against the Druid is too risky. My group is tasked with finding and bringing this enemy-of-the-state to justice. Our kingdom's honor, and also the fate of our southern and western holdings are at risk. To do nothing is to abandon our kin and all we have built over many generations.

"If the Black Druid is to be taken, it must be now. This rat bastard has not perished by the natural course of age, and so we cannot wait him out. And as you know, he becomes ever more insane as the months pass. We do not care to wait for him to bring the next confrontation. It is our decision to seek him out first, by stealth if possible, followed by decisive action once he is located. We are outmatched, sir, but there are several of us and but one of him.

"Even so, as you can imagine, men of lesser quality would shrink at once from such a mission. But there are none who stand taller than we. I must, in confidence, admit that some of my number are former criminals. In such times as these, it is the hope of our own King that men as hard as this will bring the fight to the Black Druid and show him no mercy. This is the reason for the reticense of some of our members, though also it is the Dwarven Pride. Our King, in his wisdom, has promised them a pardon for past actions. These men, as you can imagine, are eager to leave their pasts behind and not pleased at the idea of entering your homeland branded as anything else but heroes. Considering the fate we are all assigned to, and the unlikelihood of our return, we wish to enter your kingdom in dignity rather than under suspicion.

"And so the choice is yours, sir. To admit us or not. I am ready, as are several others, to accept your probe. Some of our number will simply not, and as you know, once a Dwarf's mind is made up, that is the end of it. I am not interested in separating our group. If you feel you need reinforcements in order to march us in, I will accept it, though I assure you this is not necessary. I have been as forthcoming as I may be with you, sir, and as a gnome friend and also a military man of honor, I tell you that I will go to my death with these men against our common foe, and if it is within you to grant us your assist, I shall deliver vengeance in the name of the gnomish people as well."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Keehnelf »

The gnome lifts the faceplate of his full helmet at Unther speaks, bobbing his bulbous nose up and down in slow cadence with the dwarf's speech. Finally, he smiles, and says, "Fairly spoken, friend dwarf. These are indeed ill times, and Blwygrind the Ill-Wind, who you call the Black Druid in your tongue, is a chief concern of the Knights and of the King. He has at times spread madness among our people through clever use of agents humanoid and animal. In recognition of your dignity and your mission, let me therefore offer a compromise that should prove suitable.

"Let those of you who will consent to an inspection do so, and no suspicion will fall upon those who do not. However, any misdeeds committed by those who refuse inspection while within the bounds of Gnometon will fall upon the heads of those who have consented--in this way, your own conscience and honor should limit the dangers any among you might pose due to impulsive action or other intent. Is this acceptable?"

Sol
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#54 Post by Sol »

Unther takes the lead and accepts, suspecting the others follow suit.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Zorroroaster »

Nai Tnam steps up to Unther's shoulder and clasps him on the forearm. He speaks softly to him, but quite loud enough for those around him to hear. "That was well spoken, and deftly done sir. You have an orator amongst your ancestors, of that I have no doubt.".

He raises his voice as he looks towards the gnomes. "You may begin with me. My mind shall be as open to you as it is to me. My ward Lorik will also undergo your scrutiny. Let us commence immediately, every moment we tarry is worse than wasted."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Zhym »

"Well done indeed, Unther," says Fjirn. "You have a gift for language and diplomacy."

"I too will allow your divinations," he tells the gnome Captain.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Keehnelf »

Striborg chuckles a bit to himself. "Well done indeed. One wonders at this whole setup..."

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#58 Post by KingOfCowards »

Gideon nods approvingly, "That was well said, Unther. You did well.". Although it doesn't show in his words, Gideon is both amazed and jealous of Unther's gift for words. He was never an orator, himself. Even giving a simple speech would have been a difficult trial for him, without tripping over his words.

Stiff-necked, he walks towards the end of the pack hoping they will just let him by without performing their gnomish mind tricks on him.

Sol
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#59 Post by Sol »

Unther nods to his brothers, acknowledging the compliment. When in doubt, truth.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by hedgeknight »

Dell claps Unther on the shoulder and gives him an approving nod, and then gets in line for the mind-probing.
Winter is coming...

Return to “The Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC”