OOC I

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

OOC I

#1 Post by dmw71 »

For those players who have already signed on to play (Alethen, tooleychris), unless the comments is game-specific and would be beneficial in the recruitment thread for a larger audience, let's move our normal game discussions here instead.

A couple quick, initial requests:
  • I have created a new 'Character Sheets' thread. Please reply to this topic and create a post to house your character sheet.
  • Please use the 'Character Creation' thread instead of the ooc thread to discuss any character creation preferences, strategies, etc...
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: OOC I

#2 Post by dmw71 »

I will likely have more to add to this list, but a few quick things:
  1. I have started to review the character sheets that have already been posted. Once I finish, I will provide my notes to that player.
  2. This process is a major pain in my ass and will likely take me a long time (it took me about 2.5 hours to review the first one). Hero Lab may make it easier for you, but definitely not for me. The more information you provide, the better.
  3. I will need all players to link the characters they used in the die roller to generate their stats to campaign ID 237. I will need to see every roll liked to this campaign in order for it to count.
  4. Since I'm curious to see how they work, I will let each character start with 1 hero point (Advanced Players Guide, pp 322-325), or here: Hero Points.
  5. I will allow players to select two traits from the Advanced Players Guide (pp 327-333), also found here: Traits.
  6. Also, don't forget to select a campaign-specific background trait, from here: Character Tips and Traits.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by dmw71 »

Added a note about encumbrance in the 'House Rules' section, see here: Encumbrance.

In a nutshell, we will be using the simple 'Encumbrance by Armor' system, not the more strict 'Encumbrance by Weight' rules. I will note, however, that the GM reserves the right to enforce the 'Encumbrance by Weight' rules if a character is carrying a significantly large load or attempting to carry an unusually heavy object.

I may be adding a few more "rules" as we ramp up here, but they will ideally be more clarification than changes.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by dmw71 »

All the initial character reviews are completed. I'm definitely learning as I go, because they kept getting easier. I didn't really do a deep dive, so I may have additional selections along the way, but everyone looks pretty good.

Once everyone is able to submit the requested revisions and answer any outstanding questions, we can formally start planning an official date to launch. I plan to familiarize myself with the adventure itself tomorrow (or, technically, later today as it's 12:05am local time as I type this), so hopefully we can get started here pretty quickly.

Maybe early next week?
-- Project --
-- DM --

Das
Guide
Guide

#5 Post by Das »

Two days...lol

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by dmw71 »

While I'm not quite ready to get started yet, I did spend a fair amount of time this weekend creating a new 'Regional Information' section which will provide information on the world you're beginning in -- from the planet itself down to the various districts found in the city you'll beginning your adventuring careers in.

To save you the trouble of needing to follow the above link, I copied the details from it below so you can more easily jump right in and begin familiarizing yourselves with your world:

Regional Information

I haven't checked to see if all the requested revisions have been made to the character sheets, but I do know at least a few have and I hope to have a chance to look at them tomorrow.

Once all the characters are formally approved, I will throw out an adventure background or introduction and we can formally kick things off. I'm looking forward to getting started.

- Dave
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by dmw71 »

Decision for the group:

Will the characters already know each other?

I am fine to start the game either way, but we are very close to kicking this game off and figured that we should figure out this detail.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by Alethan »

We already have the same starting point, right? Maybe just a casual knowledge of who the others are, then? Nobody is a complete stranger, but nobody has worked with anyone yet? Obviously, I mean, since we're all 0 xp characters...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by dmw71 »

Really, the only difference between knowing each other or not is, if you don't already all know each other, you will all be railroaded to the same spot and introduced. ;)

I will review all character sheets today/tonight and likely post the adventure kick-off either tonight or tomorrow... so, are all of you ready to start?
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by Alethan »

Das
Guide
Guide

#11 Post by Das »

I like to be a unknown. Fits my character.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by dmw71 »

Das wrote:I like to be a unknown. Fits my character.
This is fine.

I'll add that it's not a requirement that everyone knows each other or no one does. If only one or two of you wish to begin solo, the others can all know each other previously. Which means I'll need a vote from everyone.

So far:
  • Das is solo.
  • Alethan voted (at least tentatively) for the group to at least be familiar each other - can change vote.
  • tooleychris - need vote
  • ybn1197 - need vote

I will reach out to each of you via PM either tonight or tomorrow with any final thoughts or a final approval on your characters. Once all four characters have been finalized, I will formally introduce the game and kick things off.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:I will review all character sheets today/tonight and likely post the adventure kick-off either tonight or tomorrow... so, are all of you ready to start?
All character sheet reviews have been sent. There are enough changes that still need to be made that I will delay actually starting the game until tomorrow (or until I've heard from all the players regarding the latest revision requests and whether their character will know any of the other characters or start on their own).

Please respond to these requests as soon as possible

Thanks,
Dave
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:
Das wrote:I like to be a unknown. Fits my character.
This is fine.

I'll add that it's not a requirement that everyone knows each other or no one does. If only one or two of you wish to begin solo, the others can all know each other previously. Which means I'll need a vote from everyone.

So far:
  • Das is solo.
  • Alethan voted (at least tentatively) for the group to at least be familiar each other - can change vote.
  • tooleychris - need vote
  • ybn1197 - need vote

I will reach out to each of you via PM either tonight or tomorrow with any final thoughts or a final approval on your characters. Once all four characters have been finalized, I will formally introduce the game and kick things off.
If starting off solo will add a bunch of extra work for you, then I don't need to do it, D. But if it isn't a big deal, then I'm fine with starting solo, as well. If the former, then just put me in the house and give me a little background on the task and if you want I can write up a prologue for Ty.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#15 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:If starting off solo will add a bunch of extra work for you, then I don't need to do it, D.
I'll make sure it doesn't take too much work. Since I'll be running a module pretty much as published, there will need to be some expectation of railroading in the beginning to bring the adventure to a start.

I haven't thought about the exact details, but I figure I would do something simple (e.g. a "this happens, and now you're here" type of thing) to bring everyone together. Once everyone has met, the adventure itself will start.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by Alethan »

OK. Then you can solo me, as well.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#17 Post by dmw71 »

Unless tooleychris and ybn1197 want to start as a pair (and an interesting pair it would be), I will just plan to have every start solo.

Expect to start later today.
-- Project --
-- DM --

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by tooleychris »

I don't mind either way. Any mention of old world stuff would peak Petras interest enough to involve her with almost anyone.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by dmw71 »

Let it begin: 0. Prelude.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#20 Post by dmw71 »

I'm actually really glad this happened so soon, because, having actually faced it, it made me thing of something I want to add to the existing rule. Please see my 'Skill Checks and Using Skills' house rule, which I'll quote below for everyone's benefit.
'Skill Checks and Using Skills' wrote:Skill Checks
Unless the GM specifically requests the roll from a player, all skill check rolls will be made by the GM.

Using Skills
It is fine for a player to simply indicate their character is attempting to use a specific skill (e.g. "I will attempt to use my 'Disable Device' skill to open the lock."), but a player that conveys the same request through role-playing (e.g. "Merisiel quietly searches through her pack and pulls out her masterwork thieves' tools. 'That lock should be no problem,' she thinks to herself.) will receive an automatic +1 bonus to their attempt.

(Added: Wednesday, April 15, 2015)
Whether you attempt to role-play your skill attempt or simply elect to declare you want your character to use a specific skill, please:
  • List the name of the skill being used and the base modifier listed on your character sheet to the bottom of your update.
  • Please wrap these skills in the 'spoiler' tag to keep the meta-information out of the actual game thread.
  • Also only include the modifier stated on your character sheet (do not guess as to other modifiers I might apply).
In either case, the GM will make the actual skill roll.

Ideally, players will want to role-play their character making the attempt in order to add realism to the game, and also to receive the +1 bonus. However, if you simply want to use a skill, feel free to simply state it in your post.

So, in this example, I'm honestly not positive what you're trying to accomplish with your use of the 'slight of hand' skill? I do see that you own a pair of daggers. Where are they located on your person, and are you attempting to hide one of them up your sleeve in front of the other strangers as some sort of trick? Considering how I would like the skills to be announced, maybe you could do something like the following:

"Marshal, attempting to impresses his newfound acquaintances, attempts to spin a dagger from it sheath at his belt and into a holster hidden up his sleeve."
Skill: slight of hand (+2)
After reading the above, I would make the slight of hand skill roll at +2 (per your characters ability) and apply any other bonuses or penalties to the roll (e.g. +1 bonus for role-playing the skill attempt).

I will post the results of most rolls publicly. Some I will not. This will obviously depend upon whether or not the character would be able to tell for certain whether he was successful or not. Searching for a secret door or making a knowledge check? Probably not posted. Attempting to jump across a divide or climb a wall? Those results would be posted.

Make sense?

Das, for the action you already posted, can you please attempt to detail what Marshal is attempting to do with his slight of hand skill? Once I have a better understanding, I can assign the appropriate DC and make the roll, posting the outcome in my next update.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Dave's Pathfinder Game”