kmbll
kmbll
Guide
Guide

The West Wind: Chapter 1

#1 Post by kmbll »

March 25, 3200
Wayfair, Nudar

Jenny, Eli, and Robert pass along the causeways that combine spaceships to comprise the heart at the center of Wayfair. As you move more toward the Eastern Gate you notice that you're starting to shift lower and lower and the sheer number of Saros begins to become alarming. The insectoid species are approximately 6 feet high and oppressively try to barter with you, offering assorted lower tech goods, various Wayfair items, and assorted minerals. As you trudge along you come to a circle, lined with energy blast marks in the ground. In the center is a military-grade grav-jeep with a large weapon on the back. A person sits on the ground - it's hard to tell from this perspective but they appear to be quite short, wearing powered armor, and hunchbacked. As you approach, an echo-y voice utters "There are no waves without Wind."

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: The West Wind: Chapter 1

#2 Post by Mister-Kent »

Jenny Body, Warrior

Jenny raises her hands to the Saros, hoping to slip by unbothered and with the few measly credits in her pocket intact.

Arriving at the circle, she regards the hunched figure with her typical measure of amusement and vague disdain.

"Well then--we intend to make waves. We are looking for employment with your fine crew..."
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Das
Guide
Guide

#3 Post by Das »

Eli Alexander

Eli moved through the crowd politely declining their offers while keeping a look out for a good set of armor. Not finding anything to his liking he simply kept up with the others till they met the hunchback. He eyed the armor on the man frowning slightly as it is obviously a custom set. He had no idea what the voice was talking about so he just remained silent.

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#4 Post by Spectreman17 »

Robert J. Withers

Visibly agitated by all the Saros around, I mutter Damn Xenos, They should stay out of our damn settlements... I trail off as yet another vendor approaches us peddling his wares, who I ignore completely.

As we approach the Heavily Armored person by the Grav jeep, I yell out to him (or her) Hey, Know where I can find Tsubasa? Blast and Jack sent us to find him

kmbll
Guide
Guide

#5 Post by kmbll »

The crouched man rises from the ground. Standing, you can judge his full height is under five feet and beyond the hunchback it becomes clear that his helmet is not meant for a human head - with an obtuse back and a smaller, beakish from part. On first glance, he resembles a turtle but on a closer look, it's an oversimplification. A rocket launcher rests distinctly on his back. He looks the three approaching up and down and says, "I am Tsubasa. Who are you?"

He looks toward Jenny and whispers, "It understands. But who will vouch for you?" At the mention of Jack and Blast you hear a rapid string of a soft bubbling from Tsubasa before he mutters in his echo-y voice, "Good luck seldom comes in pairs but bad things never walk alone."

Das
Guide
Guide

#6 Post by Das »

Eli Alexander

Eli interject from behind the other two. "But threes a charm." He looked around. "Or so they tell me." He smiled at the hunchback. "Is that a version 6 Grenade Launcher? Good for armored vehicles, but I fear if you shot that thing off in here you might collapse this section of the city on yourself and us." Than he thumbed back at the Xeno's ".and have to deal with that angry mob. By the way you got any armor for sell? The three of us are experienced men and lady just looking to join a organization on the rise....we heard that was yours." Than he stepped past his comrades to walk up to the man and offer his hand. "Eli Alexander."

Persuade [2d6-1] = 8-1 = 7

kmbll
Guide
Guide

#7 Post by kmbll »

Eli

Tsubasa seems to settle a little but near the back of the circle several Saros start to move toward the gravjeep and he turns and shouts something, pull his rocket launcher off his back and gesturing wildly. Turning back to Eli, he mutters "Use power to curb power." At the mention of armor her cocks his head a little in thought, "You may take the shells of our cold dead enemies."

He turns and addresses the three of you, "There are no waves without Wind and the West Wind rises." He pulls out a small map and hands it to you before continuing. "The Fitzwater Sodality have blockaded this planet. I intend to be free. You may join me but you risk your lives. We depart tomorrow at nightfall should you desire to join me." He pulls up a contract on his compad for you to sign to join The West Wind.

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#8 Post by Spectreman17 »

Robert J Withers:

Robert jumps at the opportunity and signs without making a singe thought as to what he is signing. So, Chum, or I guess its Boss now, What do you need of your new alpha team?

Das
Guide
Guide

#9 Post by Das »

Eli Alexander

Eli smiled at the mans over cautious way quickly taking up the data pad and read the contract to himself though his lips move in tune with his eyes.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by Mister-Kent »

Jenny Body, Warrior

"The...Fitzwater Sodality?" Jenny asks, a wave of something like recognition passing over her, and then abruptly fading.

"Huh. Well what do they want with blockading a scrapland like Wayfair? Is it just to keep people here, or keep people out?"
Tried to see if her Spacer knowledge knew anything, and OOF-shut down!
Culture/Spacer: [2d6] = 3
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)

kmbll
Guide
Guide

#11 Post by kmbll »

I'll reply later tonight but Eli, can I get some sort of either perception, business or bureaucracy check to see how much of the contract you actually pick up on?

Das
Guide
Guide

#12 Post by Das »

kmbll
Guide
Guide

#13 Post by kmbll »

Tsubasa looks at Robert and points toward the small map of Nudar and indicates a small valley quite some way from the city."A scout ship lands tomorrow to survey the planet. We bring the fight to them; but your friends must sign."

He looks at Eli, "Paper cannot wrap up a fire." In your examination of the contract, you note that it's fairly standard - you agree to not betray the West Wind, be it through murder of your compatriots or through sharing missions agreed to. You note that risk of loss of life and property is by your own accord and you agree to press no suit against the corporation. There's also a non-compete clause which is a bit atypical as mercenary company's go. There's some unreadably tiny font at the bottom.

His gaze shifting toward Jenny, Tsuabasa frowns a bit."The Fitzwater Sodality is not well known, namely because the UAP doesn't want them to be known. You've heard of the fall of Fitzwater, no doubt - the Sodality arose from that day - rebels who wanted to continue the fight after the Liberty Combine and the UAoP agreed to a ceasefire. Why are they blockading Wayfair though...You cannot fight fire with water from far away."

Some general knowledge that you would know just by product of living in the sector and specifically the planets you're characters are from. There was a war, recently ended, between the longstanding power, the Unified Alliance of Planets and the upstart Liberty Combine who sought freedom from the UAoP's rule. All three of your home planets are in key UAoP territory. The fall of Fitzwater is well known but not many details are particularly well known except it prompted the UAoP to stand down what had been a fairly dominant victory to that point.

"We leave tomorrow at dusk, should you opt to sign. We'll get off this planet or die trying."

Das
Guide
Guide

#14 Post by Das »

Eli Alexander

He shrugged at the contract. Such things can't keep a adventurer down for long so he just laughed and signed. "I think I'll need some upgrades if I am going to fight an entire army."

kmbll
Guide
Guide

#15 Post by kmbll »

The black visor peers intently at Jenny, waiting to see if she signs or not. To Eli, Tsubasa replies "There's an armory on the scout ship. We'll fit you there." He gestures toward Robert and Eli, "Return tomorrow at dusk."

If there's anything you two want to do in Wayfair then now's the time. If you have nothing you want to do then we can just jump a day.

Das
Guide
Guide

#16 Post by Das »

(I got nothing. The more I do the more likely I will be robbed or killed...lol)

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#17 Post by Spectreman17 »

Robert J Withers:

Well, I got nothing better to do with my evening, Eli, more drinks?

Das
Guide
Guide

#18 Post by Das »

Eli Alexander;

He shook his head as he partted his belly. ”If we are going to be fighting an entire blockade tomorrow...id want to not have to conquer a hangover at the same time."

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by Mister-Kent »

Jenny Body, Warrior

"Babies," Jenny says with a joking snicker as she signs the contract. "My old commander used to always go into battle a little buzzed, just for good luck..."

(Can't think of anything to do in Wayfair, so I'm fine with jumping ahead :))
Playing

kmbll
Guide
Guide

#20 Post by kmbll »

March 26, 3200
Wayfair, Nudar

Tsubasa is readying his gravjeep as you approach. The circle of Saros still surround him, staring at his actions intently. He looks towards the three of you,"I'm a better driver but I can man the turret too. Shall we?"

There's the driver's seat up front and on the left, the passenger's seat, a big seat in back that could probably sit up to three if need be and a turret on the back. Choose your position.

Return to “Lost Horizon - Stars Without Number”