Strategy Thread 1

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Strategy Thread 1

#1 Post by rredmond »

These are not in character posts.
The DM will not necessarily read this thread.
The idea here is that you are all seasoned professionals, able to plan combats amongst yourselves quickly and effectively.
Use this to talk out any specific strategy or ideas. I'll try to keep this tied to the Action Threads so that you can find stuff easier here than in the OOC thread.

Please remember, I might not read this thread, if there's a question you need answered then direct me here, otherwise put it in the DM thread. Thanks all!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Strategy Thread 1

#2 Post by max_vale »

Alrighty then....I guess I'll open the ball here on this thread....:)

Some quick ideas I had for possible strategies:

-Go heavy on the 'sneaky' part.....use Invisibility, Silence Spells, possibly Polymorph, etc. Using my own character as an example, I was thinking of waiting until the middle of the night; cast a silence spell on my Holy Symbol (or a coin in my pouch, whatever) and that way my character and possibly the whole party if everyone stays close can slip in....I can always hurl the silenced object if we need to communicate verbally with each other, use it against enemy spell-casters, etc.

-Along the same lines as above, characters with Infravision might be the best ones to cast Invisibility upon so that they can 'sally forth' even in complete darkness and at least have a decent idea of what's in each room we explore

-If/When combat situations come up; always try to team-up against targets if possible....we're talking about creatures that probably have 40-50+ hps minimum; so I doubt we're going to have too many 'quick takedowns' unless we work together. Also; if we can set it up; isolating our combat is a good idea as while we might be able to take on a giant or two at a time....much more than that might be a SERIOUS problem! :)

Anyway, just thinking out loud here....

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by ToniXX »

All good ideas, Max. I like the silence spell idea to get us to the steading.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Gynsburghe
Strider
Strider

#4 Post by Gynsburghe »

I have four potions of invisibility and a 75% chance to move silently (my hide in shadows is 61%). Several of us are small folk, getting pretty good bonus to whomp on Giants. I am very comfortable with the idea of using nightfall to our advantage...

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Inferno »

Should we spend some time on surveillance? The spies told us they didn't want to get too close. There might be more to learn. Jack can Polymorph while spying. He also has invisibility radius spell. And Animal Friendship.

Rredmond: the spies said the Giants were active during the day. Does that mean that some of the Giants leave their lair during the day?

Fyi, I'll be back from vacation late Monday and will post IC then. Thanks.

Best,
Inferno
Last edited by Inferno on Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by rredmond »

The Giants just returned from a raid. Which means they should all be there and won't likely be leaving the Steading in the next day or two. This makes your rulers happy, cause all the Giants are there and can be dealt with all at the same time. The downside is, of course, all the Giants should be there. :D
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by Alethan »

Mass invisibility is really not that great a spell when people are trying to move about. Good, though, if we're hunkering down, trying to hide and rest. ;)

My char has invis ring. If he were made silent, he can scout easily without wasting pots or more spells, once we get inside. With the way Ron is running the game, in each post being a turn of action, not sure we want to spend too much time with additional scouting.

Any Druids with Warp Wood? We could make a door easily enough in some back wall somewhere. ;)
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Inferno »

Alethan wrote:With the way Ron is running the game, in each post being a turn of action, not sure we want to spend too much time with additional scouting
Hmm. I'll try Animal Friendship first then. The local animals have been watching these giants for some time already. We can see what they know.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by rredmond »

Alethan wrote: With the way Ron is running the game, in each post being a turn of action, not sure we want to spend too much time with additional scouting.
Each post is at least a Turn (when not in melee) and at least a Round (when in melee). If need be they can be longer, but the consequences of being in Giant territory are the same -- the longer you are near the steading, the more chance you have of being in danger.

You may be safe from Giants in your hidey-hole cave, but there are others in league with them...

Oh yeah, and the game is on now, so the danger has begun.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Inferno »

Hey guys,

The king's spies said the giants won't be leaving the steading for a few days. And that dinner time was the "most chaotic" period. We should attack before dinner is over.

Area of effect spells should work well in their dining hall. :D
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by Alethan »

Yeah, but possibly taking on the largest number of giants at once is going to make for a very short TPK campaign. AOE spells are good while they're all grouped together, which would be one round. At that point, they're grouped around us and we're squashed.

Maybe use the distraction of dinner to try and take out anyone NOT at dinner, though, since the sounds of fighting wouldn't be heard over the noise of chaotic dining?

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by rredmond »

Alethan wrote: ... since the sounds of fighting wouldn't be heard over the noise of chaotic dining?
Though it isn't overwhelmingly loud from where you are, you can only imagine things being pretty loud and raucous at the Steading.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Inferno »

Fyi, Here's the animal army so far:
  • Two black bears.
    One owl.
    Seven sprites: These guys will be useful. They all fly, turn invisible, move silently, and have poisoned arrows with Save vs. Poison or fall into a magic, comatose sleep for 1-6 hours... if we can get them to fight.
No giants in sight. So we can't pick them off one by one.
If we can avoid the wargs entirely, I'd love to.

How about we lock the giants in the dining hall, and fireball it, setting it ablaze with all of them trapped inside?
Round 1: we surprise them with a 9th level fireball.
Round 2: we fireball them a second time while they have to attack the burning walls to break out. Smoke, asphyxiation, etc.
Round 3: we fight the survivors as they come staggering out, while we are invisible/flying/polymorphed/hidden, etc. Plus, seven invisible Sprites shoot 2 poisoned arrows each, if the Sprites will fight for us.

Alternatively, the whole steading is made of wood. We can burn it down, and pick them off from hiding as they come out, like Max Vale's "draw them out" plan.
With this one, Jack will have to expend some magic to keep the fire from consuming the forest.

Thoughts?
Thanks.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by max_vale »

Good plan; 1 quick thing jumps out at me;

I'm not sure I'd put too much hope in the Sprite's arrows' managing to put very many Giants under as I'm guessing with 8+ HD they probably have a very low number to beat on their Saving Throws. Still....any of them that DO fail it; is 1 less for us to worry about! :)

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#15 Post by ToniXX »

Inferno wrote: How about we lock the giants in the dining hall, and fireball it, setting it ablaze with all of them trapped inside?
Round 1: we surprise them with a 9th level fireball.
Round 2: we fireball them a second time while they have to attack the burning walls to break out. Smoke, asphyxiation, etc.
Round 3: we fight the survivors as they come staggering out, while we are invisible/flying/polymorphed/hidden, etc. Plus, seven invisible Sprites shoot 2 poisoned arrows each, if the Sprites will fight for us.
Good ideas, but we're not even out of the cave yet. One thing at a time :) Since we're in a very wet area, it might be tough the light the place on fire. Just my observations...

If the animals say that the coast is clear from the cave to the steading, I say we move under cover of night. Let those with infravision lead.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by Alethan »

I thought we were in a grassy area not far from the hill giant fortress at this point...

Mechanically speaking, I think if it were as easy as just lighting the place up and picking giants off as they fled, we wouldn't be here. Plus, think of all the loot we miss out on if we burn it down!

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Inferno »

Thanks Max Vale.
ToniXX wrote: Good ideas, but we're not even out of the cave yet.
We are. We're near the steading now. :)
ToniXX wrote:Since we're in a very wet area, it might be tough the light the place on fire. Just my observations...
Good point. The inside of a dining hall might be dry and flammable though. :)
Alethan wrote: Plus, think of all the loot we miss out on if we burn it down!
Ha! :)
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by rredmond »

ToniXX wrote:Good ideas, but we're not even out of the cave yet.
I thought this as well. I'll double check the action posts, but you only just got the intel that the coast was clear from cave to entrance.
If you want to head on up to the Steading, that's absolutely fine though. Just let me know.

I'll start adding things to the action post to make location easier.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Inferno »

Sorry ToniXX. Like Alethan, I thought we had already advanced on the steading.

Ron, in an early post you said the cave was almost an hour from the steading. In a later post we could see the steading across a field of long grass. I think that's where I made my mistake. :oops:
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#20 Post by Alethan »

Inferno wrote:Sorry ToniXX. Like Alethan, I thought we had already advanced on the steading.

Ron, in an early post you said the cave was almost an hour from the steading. In a later post we could see the steading across a field of long grass. I think that's where I made my mistake. :oops:
Yeah, same here. My impression was that we were in the field of long grass.

Return to “Steading of the Hill Giant Chief (1e)”