Action Thread 1

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 1

#101 Post by Inferno »

Jack, boy druid / magic-user:

"Yes!" said Jack eagerly. A week from then would qualify as "later," allowing the naughty child to keep his promise.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#102 Post by Alethan »

Arnar grins, recognizing that the faerie-raised lad made his promise without specifying a time frame and ten minutes is later than now.

Then he attempts to speak with the ogre in orcish, relaying whatever Jack wants him to.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Inferno »

Alethan wrote:Arnar grins, recognizing that the faerie-raised lad made his promise without specifying a time frame and ten minutes is later than now.
:lol:
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Stirling »

Phaeus will open the outer door. Calling 'Rosebud' with his fingers, he expects her to suddenly appear, shaggy and excited and tearing at his 'displacer' cloak. He will hush her to silence and heel. She will not like the ogre and so he will keep her under the nearest table until we exit the room. Phaeus will also investigate the flagons of ale the giants are drinking. He will sniff at it and perhaps dip his finger in for a taste. Probably strong stuff he resist the temptation to 'down a pint' but if there is an empty small cask about or a few bottles he will take some for celebrating a successful raid later.

Gynsburghe
Strider
Strider

#105 Post by Gynsburghe »

Herzog searches the room for anything unusual, remarkably out of place, or 'somewhat obvious' - no intent of a prolonged search, just a cursory observation beyond just doors and drool.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by rredmond »

7:53pm
Main Entrance area of the Steading of the Hill Giant Chief w/the Ogres.

The battle with the ogres is over!

The party, definitely somewhere nearby, and likely somewhere behind those double doors in the center of the northern wall, rages on. The party maneuvers around the area of Silence to communicate with one another. Some, since Silence neither lets sound out, nor lets it in, poke their head in just to be able to not hear the cheers of the giants just north of them!

The dwarf takes this opportunity to make the sleep of the two hill giant guards permanent. The room looks a bloody mess, with two dead ogres and two dead hill giants. The giants had naught but a, practically empty, keg of ale between them. From the smell of it, the ale was pretty potent! The dwarf nods approvingly. Other than that, there are the cloaks and sacks hung up on the wall pegs throughout the room.

The ranger, bemoaning the mess, and inability to hide such mess, goes to the main double doors exiting out of the west wall. He goes to open them, but finds them rather more difficult to open, being as big as they are. After a couple attempts, and right before the dwarf, smiling, got there to help him, Phaeus gets the door open. Breathing a bit heavy, he calls his blink dog over. The dog does react overly aggressive to the cloak of the ranger, but is otherwise calmed by him. He takes a second to feel the cool air before attempting to close the doors you'll need a Open Doors roll, or some help, to close the one double door you have open. The ranger also notes that he can hear the wolves in the courtyard barking and howling. Seeing the dwarf shake his head sadly at the lack of ale, the ranger frowns.

Elam makes things easy for the party, but placing his silence bullet in the northwest corner of the room.

Herzog's search of the room finds nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing secret or hidden, just an entrance/guardroom/coatroom.

Jack and Arnar meanwhile seem to be able to converse with the ogre. He laughs at the dwarf, saying you speak orcish finding this fact funnier than it should be. But the ogre relates that he knows the general vicinity of things, at least where ogres are allowed to go, and he can help with the map.

The doors are great iron-bound log affairs, probably about 1' in thickness. They look to be about 7' wide and 8' high. The double doors are, of course, two such doors. It looks as if they all open into the room. The room itself is quite large, as you can see by the map, the ceilings are about 16' high, which you know to be the short ones, as you guesstimate near the center of the steading the ceilings are likely over 30'. The outer walls are thick, the logs used having about 3' in diameter. The internal walls you guess they are about 2' in thickness. This guard tower and main entrance are, like the outside, quite damp, and the walls and doors look and feel damp as well.

I'll try to get a map up in a bit, letting you know what the ogre tells you.
Below is the standard MO, but the map shows about where everyone is.
--Arnor--
Ethwig -- Herzog
Sprites (inv/flying) -- Jack
Elam -- Nessa
There is still a 15' silence sling bullet that's up in the northeast corner of the room.

Let me know if there's anything else that you'd like to do, while Arnar and Jack get a rough map together.
Please let me know if there are any questions by posting in the "Questions for the DM" thread or let me know if I've missed anything.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#107 Post by Alethan »

Prodding them before actually opening, to make sure there's nothing alive inside, Arnar checks the various sacks hanging on the hooks to see if there is anything of interest in them.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Stirling »

"aah...'shit-for-brains', good girl, you made it past the wolves, scared them eh? maybe they smell your stinking hide, quiet now we're going on a giant hunt. Keep sneaky and on watch. And don't eat the sprites, not much meat on them, I'll find you a nice rams arse instead" ranger Phaeus pets his companion fondly despite Rosebud baring her teeth and drooling on his coon-tailed fur helm.

He will cast his eyes over to the wolves and hope the scent of bear will keep them occupied and an open door won't draw them closer. He will rub the giantish musk from a cloak over Rosebud to make her smell 'local' just in case more guard creatures lurk about. Leading her past the blood and gore, Phaeus will go to the western door and wait for a signal from Jack and Arnar that proceeding this way is the best choice.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Inferno »

Jack, boy druid/magic-user:

Jack was all eyes and ears as big, burly Gothmog and little, burly Arnar traded choice words in Orcish. He was on the edge of his seat and concentrating hard, like a boy trying to memorize overheard curse words. Which was what he was, after all.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by max_vale »

Elam Vax; Human male Thief/Cleric

Elam loads up his sling with a (non-silenced) bullet and keeps his enchanted Staff in his off-hand and awaits the decision on where to head next....

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#112 Post by Alethan »

Alethan wrote:Prodding them before actually opening, to make sure there's nothing alive inside, Arnar checks the various sacks hanging on the hooks to see if there is anything of interest in them.
This is still Arnar's current action.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Stirling »

If all is quiet beyond the door Phaeus will open it and proceed through, Rosebud at heel on his left.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by max_vale »

Elam Vax; Human male Thief/Cleric

Elam awaits with a sling bullet loaded in his sling; ready to follow his fellow party members into the Giants' fort....

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by rredmond »

Updated Action Thread here: viewtopic.php?f=220&t=4813

Thanks for your patience all!
--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Return to “Steading of the Hill Giant Chief (1e)”